by Evans Putman
Have your New Year’s resolutions already disappeared like that bottle of champagne on New Year’s Eve? Did your goals of living healthier by drinking less, exercising more and eating better fall by the wayside after you recovered from your first hangover of 2015? You’re definitely not alone.
Do you ever play golf? If so, you most certainly know about mulligans. Since your first attempt barely made it out of the tee box, let’s go ahead and take a resolution mulligan to focus some time and energy on helping create a healthier environment and planet!
Here’s a list of ten ways to go green that will contribute to a healthier environment, a healthier planet and, indirectly, improve your health.
- Use Your Feet – We’ve heard for years how emissions from our cars are damaging the environment. Pledge to leave your car parked whenever you can and take an alternate form of transportation like a bicycle, skateboard or even your own two feet. Your actions will contribute to both a healthier environment and a healthier you!
- Storage Smarts – Replace plastic kitchen storage and cooking items with glass or stainless steel ones. And of course, recycle your old ones instead of throwing them in the trash.
- Buy Big – When doing your grocery shopping, purchase food both in bulk and in recyclable containers (as little material as possible). Then store those items in your new eco-friendly containers mentioned in tip number 2.
- Eco-Eats – Whenever possible, purchase food grown locally and fresh to reduce transportation and packaging. Better yet, grow your own produce in a garden using your own compost. On top of the environmental benefits, gardening is relaxing and provides exercise.
- Strip Down – Focus on using less energy by using power strips. Not only can power strips provide surge protection for your electronics, but it also makes turning off multiple energy-using items easier. When you leave your home or go to bed at night, make it a point to power down and make that task easier with power strips.
- Go with the Flow – Want a healthier bank account and planet? Install low-flow toilets, low-flow shower heads and faucet aerators in your home. You’ll conserve water and you’ll save on monthly water bills.
- Take a Trip – The point here is not to just travel but instead, to resolve to travel smartly. Whether it is a business trip or a family vacation, think of ways to reduce your carbon footprint. Take a non-stop flight or travel by train, stay in an environmentally-friendly hotel, look into public transportation options: Go green on your trips by taking a little time to do some research and planning first.
- Go Postal – I’d be willing to bet that almost every single person reading this would be glad to never see another piece of junk mail. Save a tree and save your sanity by stopping junk mail from reaching your mailbox in 2015.
- Go Mobile – Are you planning on buying a new smartphone, tablet or other mobile device in 2015? Save money by purchasing used, refurbished mobile device. Make money by selling your used iPhone, Android-powered smartphone or wireless tablet to a company like Gazelle.com. It’s a win for you and win for Mother Nature.
- Be in Charge – Speaking of mobile devices, one step you can take to save energy and be environmentally-friendly in 2015 is to buy yourself a solar charger kit to power up your smartphone, laptop, iPad and other devices. And since the power company hasn’t figured out how to charge us for energy from the sun yet, you can save money on your power bill as well.
So there you have it – ten tips for going green in 2015. These are just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to making smart, environmentally-friendly changes to our daily lives. And if going green isn’t exactly your cup of green tea yet, I’d be willing to bet that you’ll search for more ways to go green in 2015 and beyond once you see how you can save money and become healthier by living an environmentally-friendly lifestyle.