• filter:

ink/toner cartridge recycling primer/faq for Office Depot / OfficeMax and Staples (vers. 2016.05.20)

• Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
3c3 said:   
bpvh said:   Back to your situation, was the item purchased in-store or online? Returned in-store or online? Actual date of return? Anything out of the ordinary?

Original purchase was online order for in-store pickup. Refund order was initiated online on 11/26, but the actual refund was not completed until a couple of days ago.

I also received the recycling reward for November. I had another >$10 purchase in November, so this refund would not have changed anything for November. Now I don't know if my December purchase of the $13.99 Duracell would qualify me for the December recycling.

Thanks for the clarification. My guess is that even though it is dated 11/26 it counts against December but like I noted above this is a new one for me.

If you do not want to put more money into the program, this might be a situation where you wait and see and if the recycling rewards are not awarded contact Rewards Customer Service. The facts are on your side. Whether Rewards Customer Service will see it that way though ....

rated:
Thanks. Maybe I'll make another purchase to avoid the potential problem later.

rated:
For Staples $30 ink cartridge, what is the best cartridge to buy in term of eBay reselling value?
I went with the "HP 56 Black Ink Cartridge (C6656AN)", $31+tax at Staples. Sold for $23.50 in Dec and for $22.00 in Apr.

Always interested in better options. And remember you can stretch 1 purchase to 7 months of recycling by starting mid-month.

[edit: I see the HP 61XL mentioned upthread is $30.50 right now. It does 480pp vs 520pp for my $31 HP 56 so probably seen as comparable value by buyers. Maybe I'm just not selling hard enough. ]

=aw

rated:
It's been awhile since I thanked bpvh for all the contributions to this thread. Here goes another instance: my latest supply of empty ink cartridges are Canon; brought them to Staples today for January's quota and not an issue; I had been using HP carts until now. Checked the page One info a few minutes ago and Canon carts meet the definition of eligible carts.

Again, bpvh, thanks for making life a little easier.

rated:
Not sure if my carts taken are canon or not, the 20 are assorted,
they have always and even yesterday just taken the bag and asked how many, not even looking at them

rated:
Rewards are posted for December, Yes Stapler

rated:
597404 said:   Rewards are posted for December
Presumably for Staples not Office Depot.

rated:
I have 4 OD accounts and usually do 1 per week as I get carts. When I went to recycle the manager asked where I get so many ink carts and that they are having loss prevention look into my accounts. ?!?! LOL. She said it's abusing the program and you can only have one account. She said all this right in front of two other employees! Talk about embarrassing...the employees must have thought I was a common criminal or thief. Granted, I'm sure they were a little confused considering all I was doing was recycling ink (something that actually helps the planet!!).

From what I can tell the terms don't even say that - it says 1 account per EMAIL ADDRESS. NOT one account per person. I've even done two at a time with other managers ringing me up and no one said a thing. It was even a manager that recommended I open another account so I could get credit for all the ink I brought in. Should I call and report this manager? Who should I call?

rated:
eddiehaskell said:   I have 4 OD accounts and usually do 1 per week as I get carts. When I went to recycle the manager asked where I get so many ink carts and that they are having loss prevention look into my accounts. ?!?! LOL. She said it's abusing the program and you can only have one account. She said all this right in front of two other employees! Talk about embarrassing...the employees must have thought I was a common criminal or thief. Granted, I'm sure they were a little confused considering all I was doing was recycling ink (something that actually helps the planet!!).

From what I can tell the terms don't even say that - it says 1 account per EMAIL ADDRESS. NOT one account per person. I've even done two at a time with other managers ringing me up and no one said a thing. It was even a manager that recommended I open another account so I could get credit for all the ink I brought in. Should I call and report this manager? Who should I call?

You are busted....
I got busted also the other day at Best Buy and using price match, was told by manager no more pms for me and "MY CREW", I can buy all I want at shelf price
3 times a week I went in with 2 others and had them pm the Verizon Gusto 3 prepaid to the WM price.... there price is $19.99

rated:
yesid0n0itall said:   eddiehaskell said:   I have 4 OD accounts and usually do 1 per week as I get carts. When I went to recycle the manager asked where I get so many ink carts and that they are having loss prevention look into my accounts. ?!?! LOL. She said it's abusing the program and you can only have one account. She said all this right in front of two other employees! Talk about embarrassing...the employees must have thought I was a common criminal or thief. Granted, I'm sure they were a little confused considering all I was doing was recycling ink (something that actually helps the planet!!).

You are busted....
I got busted also the other day at Best Buy and using price match, was told by manager no more pms for me and "MY CREW", I can buy all I want at shelf price
3 times a week I went in with 2 others and had them pm the Verizon Gusto 3 prepaid to the WM price.... there price is $19.99

True but what can they really do other than closing the accounts? Couldn't someone just open up another account and go to a different store that isn't so strict? I've had managers check me out doing 2 or 3 at a time. I just tell them I have a business account and a personal account. Most simply don't care and probably think it's good they are being recycled instead of thrown in the garbage.

rated:
eddiehaskell said:   
yesid0n0itall said:   
eddiehaskell said:   I have 4 OD accounts and usually do 1 per week as I get carts. When I went to recycle the manager asked where I get so many ink carts and that they are having loss prevention look into my accounts. ?!?! LOL. She said it's abusing the program and you can only have one account. She said all this right in front of two other employees! Talk about embarrassing...the employees must have thought I was a common criminal or thief. Granted, I'm sure they were a little confused considering all I was doing was recycling ink (something that actually helps the planet!!).

You are busted....

True but what can they really do other than closing the accounts? Couldn't someone just open up another account and go to a different store that isn't so strict? I've had managers check me out doing 2 or 3 at a time. I just tell them I have a business account and a personal account. Most simply don't care and probably think it's good they are being recycled instead of thrown in the garbage.

I doubt they see it as recycling, they are paying you.  At one time I have more than one Staples rewards for ink turn in, they narrowed it to just one years ago

rated:
eddiehaskell said:   From what I can tell the terms don't even say that - it says 1 account per EMAIL ADDRESS. NOT one account per person.
The Recycling page says Limit 1 account per household/business.  Not sure where you got one per email address.
eddiehaskell said:   Should I call and report this manager? Who should I call?
What are you going to report?
eddiehaskell said:   Most simply don't care and probably think it's good they are being recycled instead of thrown in the garbage.
Throwing these in the garbage isn't the worst thing in the world. There is no hazardous waste. Really it's just about the economics of (possibly) re-using parts of one cartridge to save on manufacturing costs.  If you calculated the volume of the cartridges you recycle in a year and compare that to the amount of construction waste generated by even a small renovation, the ink is a drop in the bucket (pun intended) of the landfill.
yesid0n0itall said:   I doubt they see it as recycling, they are paying you.
This, more than anything else. While the individual employees may not see it that way, those who are responsible for the implementation of the program do.
Even though they give you $2 per cartridge, it doesn't actually cost them $2.  Figure they average 50% margins on everything they sell plus a little bit to cover the costs of collecting and administering the program and it's probably a little over a dollar.
Depot, Max, and Sta ples all sell the cartridges to Clover Environmental, the largest ink/toner remanufacturer in the US.  I've never seen the term sheet so I don't know what they get paid, but for high volume recyclers the deal could be pretty good.  I used to sell empties by the pallet to Clover.  They paid freight and ink was $0.25 - $4.50 per cartridge; toner was $0.50 - $28.  The office stores cram as much as possible in to a woefully inadequately padded box so I imagine there's a ton of loss due to damage in transit so the rejection rate must be pretty high.  But this is a steady stream of product for Clover, who, incidentally, sells their remanufacturered products back to the big three under various brands (including the store brand).

rated:

The Office Depot OfficeMax Rewards program limit is more restrictive than one account per person. It's one account per household/business.
Membership

• A Program member ("Member") is eligible to receive rewards on Qualifying Purchases (defined below) made at Office Depot and OfficeMax stores, by phone at 1.800.463.3768, in Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands at 1.800.573.4624, or online at OfficeDepot.com. No annual fee for membership. Membership is open to legal residents of the 50 U.S. states, District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, or U.S. Virgin Islands who are at least 18 years old and who provide and maintain a valid email address. Office Depot Business Solutions Division customers, State, Municipal and Federal Government accounts and resellers are not eligible to participate in the Program. Limit one (1) Program account per household/business. Membership card is not transferable or assignable and is not for resale or auction.

-- http://www.officedepot.com/a/content/loyalty/rewardtermsandcondi... 

rated:
Ok - their "terms of service" have been violated. Is it against the law to unknowingly violate Office Depot's rewards terms of service?

I actually never saw anything about 1 account because I signed up through their mobile site which doesn't mention it. Even if you click on the "terms" link on the mobile site it says nothing about per person.

https://www.officedepot.com/mb/loyalty/express/register.do?mid=

rated:
AtomicTaco said:   eddiehaskell said:   Ok - their "terms of service" have been violated. Is it against the law to unknowingly violate Office De pot's rewards terms of service?Ignorantia juris non excusat You would first need to show that OD's TOS actually amount to federal/state law.

rated:
eddiehaskell said:   AtomicTaco said:   eddiehaskell said:   Ok - their "terms of service" have been violated. Is it against the law to unknowingly violate Office De pot's rewards terms of service?
Ignorantia juris non excusat
You would first need to show that O D's TOS actually amount to federal/state law.
You would also need to demonstrate why $40 a month is worth this much freaking out.

rated:
AtomicTaco said:   eddiehaskell said:   AtomicTaco said:   eddiehaskell said:   Ok - their "terms of service" have been violated. Is it against the law to unknowingly violate Office De pot's rewards terms of service?
You would first need to show that O D's TOS actually amount to federal/state law.
You would also need to demonstrate why $40 a month is worth this much freaking out.
This is a thread about ink recycling - thousands of replies and endless details about how to earn a couple bucks. I think common denominator is people that are cheap/frugal/tightwads. Ya know...the same people that "worry" about ways to save $7/month on their phone bill.

rated:
eddiehaskell said:   
AtomicTaco said:   
eddiehaskell said:   
AtomicTaco said:   
eddiehaskell said:   Ok - their "terms of service" have been violated. Is it against the law to unknowingly violate Office De pot's rewards terms of service?

This is a thread about ink recycling - thousands of replies and endless details about how to earn a couple bucks. I think common denominator is people that are cheap/frugal/tightwads. Ya know...the same people that "worry" about ways to save $7/month on their phone bill.

Please tell me then how to bill you for the $7 as month if it means nothing

rated:
AtomicTaco said:   
eddiehaskell said:   
AtomicTaco said:   
eddiehaskell said:   Ok - their "terms of service" have been violated. Is it against the law to unknowingly violate Office De pot's rewards terms of service?

Please advise how to bill you for the $40 a month then

rated:
If anyone is looking for $30 to spend on ink to qualify for Staples recycling, they currently have the LC1032PKS (SKU 69092) online for $33.49. Amazon has it for $30.43. (ASIN B00D5PXWJS). After 110% price guarantee, it comes to $30.12. Price in store is higher at $45.99, so unfortunately after the Amazon match that brings it down to $28.90, too low to qualify for ink recycling.

No idea if there's resale value on these, my wife actually uses them.

rated:
metsfan said:   Price in store is higher at $45.99, so unfortunately after the Amazon match that brings it down to $28.90, too low to qualify for ink recycling.

I had that issue before and asked the cashier to RAISE the price match.

rated:
3c3 said:   
metsfan said:   Price in store is higher at $45.99, so unfortunately after the Amazon match that brings it down to $28.90, too low to qualify for ink recycling.

I had that issue before and asked the cashier to RAISE the price match.

Cashier I got this time said she couldn't do that, so I pricematched to Staples.com instead and paid $32.25. 

rated:
Quick question: how long does it take for Office Depot to show the 10 recycled cartridges if a person made the $10 purchase the same day? (4/2/17)

rated:
VivYip said:   Quick question: how long does it take for Office Depot to show the 10 recycled cartridges if a person made the $10 purchase the same day? (4/2/17)
The rewards points for recycling post in the month after the transaction. The points do not post to the purchase details in the purchase history but to the account summary. The recycling transaction should post to the purchase history in a matter of days if not the next day.

rated:
bpvh said:   
VivYip said:   Quick question: how long does it take for Office Depot to show the 10 recycled cartridges if a person made the $10 purchase the same day? (4/2/17)
The rewards points for recycling post in the month after the transaction. The points do not post to the purchase details in the purchase history but to the account summary. The recycling transaction should post to the purchase history in a matter of days if not the next day.

Recycling does show up in the purchase details.  It looks like this:
Description Qty Purchase Amount Qualified Amount* Reward Description Reward Program Points Earned
RECYCLING PROGRAM
SKU#: 224744

10 $0.00 $0.00 Ink Shopping Rewards 0

rated:
FYI, I found an extra rewards check in my Stapler account, anyone else?

rated:
597404 said:   FYI, I found an extra rewards check in my Stapler account, anyone else?
I have a 2nd $40 Rewards check for recycling that was issued in April and expires 05/31 but mine is not extra. It's from February recycling that should have been issued in March but due to a glitch in the system was not issued then.

rated:
597404 said:   FYI, I found an extra rewards check in my Stapler account, anyone else?
  $5 extra expires 4-30-17.

rated:
Last night at Staples, handed over 20 empty ink and my rewards card, was told I can give all I want but I only get credit for 10.
I said why, was told thats all you can do as long as he has been there.
A call to the manger changed his mind.
I wonder how many he cheated previously...

rated:
it's not like he gets anything out of it, unless he's stealing and then recycling or reselling the extras...

rated:
scripta said:   it's not like he gets anything out of it, unless he's stealing and then recycling or reselling the extras...
  He is cheating customers....
Most believe what anyone at the store tells them

rated:
yesidonoitall said:   scripta said:   it's not like he gets anything out of it, unless he's stealing and then recycling or reselling the extras...He is cheating customers....
I understand, but since he probably has nothing to gain personally from doing this, I'd guess stupidity or very poor memory, not malice.

Speaking of which, I was told last week that the FAR paper coupon wasn't scanning more than once per transaction and I had to buy the reams in separate transactions. Any truth to that or did I just believe what the clerk told me? I've never this clerk at my store before, so I questioned him and told him it had always scanned multiple cpns, but he wouldn't budge.

rated:
clerk was correct.
One coupon for a specific item per transaction.
People were able to use 1 single ream and 1 5 ream case coupon in a transaction.
Single ream coupon from previous week (used during 2 day grace) and single ream coupon for the current week did not work in same transaction.

rated:
scripta said:   
yesidonoitall said:   
scripta said:   it's not like he gets anything out of it, unless he's stealing and then recycling or reselling the extras...
He is cheating customers....

I understand, but since he probably has nothing to gain personally from doing this, I'd guess stupidity or very poor memory, not malice.

Speaking of which, I was told last week that the FAR paper coupon wasn't scanning more than once per transaction and I had to buy the reams in separate transactions. Any truth to that or did I just believe what the clerk told me? I've never this clerk at my store before, so I questioned him and told him it had always scanned multiple cpns, but he wouldn't budge.

Yes stupidity for sure, or not remembering what he was told.
I cannot have been the only person with a premiere account he ran across in his year there, yes 1 year.
I knew he was wrong, he stood fast until I asked him to ask the manager.

rated:
scripta said:   

Yes, I tried and had to do 4 transactions, one right after another.

rated:
I've had this issue on my plus account. Eligible for 20, but for some reason their screen says only 10. 2 different stores, 2 different times, 2 different checkers of course. (maybe 3x) 

My logic is fine, if I'm only eligible for 10, then we will see that in the monthly report, but please note that I gave 20 and if I gave 100, I'd want you to report that I gave 100 and I would only get credit for what my account qualifies for (10 or 20).

rated:
kirku said:   I've had this issue on my plus account. Eligible for 20, but for some reason their screen says only 10. 2 different stores, 2 different times, 2 different checkers of course. (maybe 3x) 

My logic is fine, if I'm only eligible for 10, then we will see that in the monthly report, but please note that I gave 20 and if I gave 100, I'd want you to report that I gave 100 and I would only get credit for what my account qualifies for (10 or 20).

Perhaps the sales person heard a rumor and believed it. I had a similar episode three months ago.

BUT you are in charge of your account. Don't give ten cartridges at a time; just give the quota of twenty cartridges, keep the receipt, and wait a few days to verify the transaction online.

rated:
my4mainecoons said:   clerk was correct.
One coupon for a specific item per transaction.
People were able to use 1 single ream and 1 5 ream case coupon in a transaction.
Single ream coupon from previous week (used during 2 day grace) and single ream coupon for the current week did not work in same transaction.
Was separate transactions a glitch last week or is it looking permanent? Can't cash out coupons with more than 2 transactions...
Is there a thread for this somewhere? Thx.

rated:
No glitch.  Its how the registers are now programmed.
Began about a month ago.  Discussed in weekly threads but no one thread about this topic.
Yes, harder to cash out Rewards.

rated:
Been awhile since I posted but thanks to the OP and all for starting me on this ink thing. Did it back in college and saved up enough money to buy myself a dSLR, which I used to get into lots of adventures and met tons of people with it...many thanks to the FW crowd for spreading the word. Started up again since there's two Staples near my place. Was even wondering what ink to get but gonna go with the 30 dollar one and resell like others did. Much props!

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017