• filter:

ink/toner cartridge recycling primer/faq for Office Depot / OfficeMax and Staples (vers. 2017.07.26)

• Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
scripta said:   Was separate transactions a glitch last week or is it looking permanent? Can't cash out coupons with more than 2 transactions...
Is there a thread for this somewhere? Thx.

my4mainecoons said:   No glitch.  Its how the registers are now programmed.
Began about a month ago.  Discussed in weekly threads but no one thread about this topic.
Yes, harder to cash out Rewards.

There's a class action against Staples for prorating coupons when you buy products that are rewards eligible and not eligible in the same transaction and had your rewards reduced incorrectly. It says you're a member of the class if you had this happen through 4/25/17. I wonder if that's the date they started limiting things to one of those coupons per transaction, while at the same time fixing the coupon prorating issue.

http://www.torczynervstaplessettlement.com/Home.aspx 

rated:
I have been recycling with Staples for a long time, but met a new problem today. Last week, I recycled for June before I realized I didn't have any ink purchase for past 180 days. So I went in and bought $30+ ink today. Both the cashier and manager told me that, since both transactions happened in the same month, I will be getting the reward for the recycling.
The is totally different than my understanding of the terms. Is this true? I'm fine running another trip to Staples but would be glad if I don't have to.

rated:
jolapo said:   I have been recycling with Staples for a long time, but met a new problem today. Last week, I recycled for June before I realized I didn't have any ink purchase for past 180 days. So I went in and bought $30+ ink today. Both the cashier and manager told me that, since both transactions happened in the same month, I will be getting the reward for the recycling.
The is totally different than my understanding of the terms. Is this true? I'm fine running another trip to Staples but would be glad if I don't have to.

AFAIK, there must be qualifying ink/toner purchases of $30 or more within the 180 days prior to the recycle transaction. There is grace period -- a few days or so -- but nothing more.

rated:
bpvh said:   
jolapo said:   I have been recycling with Staples for a long time, but met a new problem today. Last week, I recycled for June before I realized I didn't have any ink purchase for past 180 days. So I went in and bought $30+ ink today. Both the cashier and manager told me that, since both transactions happened in the same month, I will be getting the reward for the recycling.
The is totally different than my understanding of the terms. Is this true? I'm fine running another trip to Staples but would be glad if I don't have to.

AFAIK, there must be qualifying ink/toner purchases of $30 or more within the 180 days prior to the recycle transaction. There is grace period -- a few days or so -- but nothing more.

You are right. Both the store manager and the cashier were wrong. I just talked to Staples Reward CSR and confirmed it. The CSR left a note in my account so I can contact them in July to get the reward issued manually. That saves me a trip.

rated:
Staple​s is changing the Rewards benefits on Saturday, July 1.

Their various forms of communication are inconsistent, however piecing them all together and adding a splash of reality, I believe this graphic is probably the most telling:
http://rewards.staples.com/SRC/img/banners/61389_940x180_banners... 

Plus is gone.  Premiere still requires a $1,000 annual spend.

Free shipping threshold will go up to 49.99.  Most of the promos omit the amount, and "free next-day delivery" is unnecessarily vague.  I don't think the timeliness of deliveries are changing; if you live within one transit day of a warehouse, the products in that warehouse are what you can get next-day.  If the warehouse is further away, the products would still be delivered for free, but they'll use the same ground shipping they're currently using.
The minimum purchase requirement excludes coupons and taxes.  It is unclear if Rewards certificates count as coupons.  Though they are entered as coupons, historically they have not been treated as coupons.  The T&C indicate that using Rewards certificates in-store will discount the total spend, e.g. a $30 purchase minus $20 rewards would get a $0.20 rebate.

Cash back rewards are earned for in-store purchases only (2% base, 5% premier).  Buy online/pick up in store probably will not count.

I don't remember what the rollover policy was before, so not sure how/if it differs:
Monthly balances of less than $5 will roll over through the end of the following calendar quarter. Unissued Rewards will expire at the end of the following calendar quarter unless a Qualifying Purchase is made during that rollover period.

The $30 ink/toner purchase in the last 180 days to earn ink recycling rewards is the same, as is the $2 per cartridge rule. Ink and/or toner purchases made on the date of recycling are calculated toward minimum purchase requirement.

Full Terms & Conditions here

rated:
If you've spent between $500 and $1000, you will be dropped to Base and will only get credit for 10 inks per month.

rated:
samko said:   If you've spent between $500 and $1000, you will be dropped to Base and will only get credit for 10 inks per month.

Will the current plus member be automatically downgraded now?

rated:
tomprc said:   
samko said:   If you've spent between $500 and $1000, you will be dropped to Base and will only get credit for 10 inks per month.

As others have said, yes. Plus is gone; former Plus members have been downgraded.  Visit your personal Rewards page and you will notice the Plus info has disappeared.;

rated:
My rewards pages
shows this
Updated as of July 01, 2017
Rewards ProfileStaples
Business Rewards Plus

rated:
The primer/faq has been updated to account for the recent changes in the Office Depot / OfficeMax and Staples Rewards programs.

rated:
Stolat said:   
tomprc said:   

As others have said, yes. Plus is gone; former Plus members have been downgraded.  Visit your personal Rewards page and you will notice the Plus info has disappeared.;

Barely managed 1k spending last year, so am good for 2017.
Was trying to somehow manage $500 in spending for 2017. Will not bother now.

rated:
fwuser12 said:   Stolat said:   tomprc said:   samko said:   If you've spent between $500 and $1000, you will be dropped to Base and will only get credit for 10 inks per month.Will the current plus member be automatically downgraded now?As others have said, yes. Plus is gone; former Plus members have been downgraded.  Visit your personal Rewards page and you will notice the Plus info has disappeared.;Barely managed 1k spending last year, so am good for 2017.
Another member here flips laptops. Seems like you could hit the qualification in a single purchase.

rated:
fwuser12 said:   
Stolat said:   
tomprc said:   

Barely managed 1k spending last year, so am good for 2017.

Other than $1000 or more in qualified purchases to reach Premier, there are two other options if you want the opportunity to qualify to recycle 20 carts per month:

With either option, you are still required to have spent $30 on ink and/or toner in the past 180 day to qualify to recycle.

rated:
Staples rewards earned in July are posted!

My "Plus" account, I recycled 20 cartridges first week of July, and I did get the $40 rewards.

In the E-Mail there was a link for $5 in "Bonus Rewards" YMMV

rated:
597404 said:   Staples rewards earned in July are posted!

My "Plus" account, I recycled 20 cartridges first week of July, and I did get the $40 rewards.

Hmm. Posters on SD were noting a different outcome.

Can you do a screen shot of your Staples rewards main page with the personal bits redacted?

rated:

SShot (108.47kB)
Disclaimer
bpvh said:   

Can you do a screen shot of your Staples rewards main page with the personal bits redacted?

Here you go, risk reward: No purchase rewards, all recycling

rated:
597404 said:   
bpvh said:   

Can you do a screen shot of your Staples rewards main page with the personal bits redacted?

Here you go, risk reward: No purchase rewards, all recycling

Thanks.

rated:
Can I buy the $30 in printer ink at Staples.com ? It's difficult for me to get to the store.

rated:
Can I buy the $30 in printer ink at Staples.com ? It's hard for me to get to the store.

rated:
loriwithjohn said:   Can I buy the $30 in printer ink at Staples. com ? It's hard for me to get to the store.
The qualifying purchases of ink/toner can be made either in-store or online.

If you are recycling in-store, same day purchases of ink/toner do count.

rated:
funny.thanks. I need it

rated:
Has anybody had incredible difficulty getting their e-receipts from Staples?

I had to reenter ALL of my demographic data about two months ago in store for an account I've had since the early 2000s and now I am not getting any receipts that have rebates attached to them. Today I went to recycle selected e-mail receipt as always, had to enter my e-mail address and it "sent" it (supposedly) then printed out a paper receipt without my rewards number on it...and naturally, I didn't get the e-mail receipt.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017