Teacher Discounts: Let's start our own thread!

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Text Only
rated:
I started thinking about all the discounts I get because I teach, and I thought it would be nice if we combined these into a single thread. Let's avoid location specific ones unless it's a national chain that you think might extend them to all.

I'll start . . .
Barnes & Noble educator discount . . . 20% on stuff for my classroom/25% a few times a year for personal use as well. Since I'm an English teacher, pretty much everything qualifies for my classroom.
Ditto for Books a Million.
Staples & Office Depot. Both have rewards programs for teachers that include free shipping plus other stuff.
Software & computers. I haven't used my educator status for a computer, but I did use it recently to buy Office 2010 Professional Academic version for about $100. I used JourneyEd.
Michael's is now giving teachers 10% off everything, including sale and clearance items, on Fridays.
Many magazine publishers, such as Time and Newsweek, also offer educator discounts.

Can you think of more that could help teachers save money?

I'm trying to "teach" my new DH the advantages of being married to a teacher who hangs out on FatWallet.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Do you really think renters don't pay property tax or water bills? Really? I'll let you think about it.

2weeks (Aug. 23, 2010 @ 2:24a) |

Somebody is a bitter bear. I think there are more positive ways to see education than this.
That kid could grow up and b... (more)

Usorry (Aug. 23, 2010 @ 11:10a) |

RE:
Sometimes it makes me want to rent just to avoid the big bucks i would
Save each year in school taxes.

Ah, some lead su... (more)

yesidonoitall (Aug. 23, 2010 @ 11:14a) |

Apple's Education store.
Retail stores will also discount for students and educators upon showing ID.
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

My exp has been, just tell the cashier you are a teacher and you will get the discount, even though he/she knows you are not.
A sale is a sale, and that's the way it should be.
I just love it when local stores here have fireman/policeman/EMT day's.
They "will" sell to me at the same price.....

And then, let's start our own union!

Jo Ann Fabrics usually offers a card that will give teachers 15% off for a year

Don't pay your teachers' union dues.

yesidonoitall said: My exp has been, just tell the cashier you are a teacher and you will get the discount, even though he/she knows you are not.

I bet you get a big discount on pathological liar day!

MISTERCHEAP said: yesidonoitall said: My exp has been, just tell the cashier you are a teacher and you will get the discount, even though he/she knows you are not.

Why should a cop or fireman pay less that I do.....
I see no reason for a certain segment to pay less, especially public servants....
A recent backlash here, some furniture stores offered discounts, big outcry in letters to the editor and craigslist forums.....

yesidonoitall said: MISTERCHEAP said: yesidonoitall said: My exp has been, just tell the cashier you are a teacher and you will get the discount, even though he/she knows you are not.

I see no reason for a certain segment to pay less, especially public servants....
A recent backlash here, some furniture stores offered discounts, big outcry in letters to the editor and craigslist forums.....

If anyone should get a discount it should be The police or Fire personnel . I mean hell the politicians get discounts on everything(under the table) and they don't do diddly squat.

yesidonoitall said: Why should a cop or fireman pay less that I do.....

Yes, my wife is a teacher and she chose to be one knowing it was a tough job. She deserves every benefit that she can get. You can't say otherwise until you've spent some time in her shoes. On top of that, she's required to spend thousands of dollars of her money a year to supplement items that the school district doesn't provide. All of this to give YOUR children a good education.

I'm both military and a teacher and I support discounts. Although we are public servants, our pay does not coincide with our risk. I did tours on Iraq and now teach ROTC. I have two bad knees, a bad back, permanent damage to my ear due to an IED. I earn 72k with a masters in psychology. I and many like me donehat we do to preserve your way of life and teach your moat prized possessions, your kids. I see the discounts, however little as a thank you, and a sign of respect. If there is a segment that does as much for so little, then they deserve a discount too.

You may get the discounts some places for just "saying" you are a teacher or whatever, but Barnes & Noble and Books a Million require your teacher id. It took me several faxes to prove to JourneyEd taht I am a teacher. So they don't all just give it to whomever.

There are hundreds of educational discounts listed HERE:

deanosan said: yesidonoitall said: MISTERCHEAP said: yesidonoitall said: My exp has been, just tell the cashier you are a teacher and you will get the discount, even though he/she knows you are not.

If anyone should get a discount it should be The police or Fire personnel . I mean hell the politicians get discounts on everything(under the table) and they don't do diddly squat.

Police and fire are very well paid.....
And I mean very well.
I see no reason they should pay less for anything..... (the risk does not enter into it, since noone is forced to do that kind of work....)
Firemen have for years had a good con going and still do....

Politicians are another story.....
Just like Arnold wants to spend $400 million to redo death row.....
He will be out this year and needs to p[ad his pocket book....Trust me, the contractor has a big wad of money for him if it goes through.

ajackson75 said: Great thread. I am a teacher too. Everybody should give this a green because everybody as benefitted from a teacher.

OK, I used to pump gas and make Pizzas, I benefited alot of people too.

RDMustang1 said: yesidonoitall said: Why should a cop or fireman pay less that I do.....

Yes, my wife is a teacher and she chose to be one knowing it was a tough job. She deserves every benefit that she can get. You can't say otherwise until you've spent some time in her shoes. On top of that, she's required to spend thousands of dollars of her money a year to supplement items that the school district doesn't provide. All of this to give YOUR children a good education.

Teachers do good work, most aRE PAID WELL.
I HAVE YET TO BE CONVINCED TEACHERS NEED TO BUY ANYTHING TO AID IN TEACHING.

We all want to pay no more than we have to for any given item.
That goes right to the point that I see no need for a certain segment to pay less than I do.
If I find such I voice my opinion to the establishment that does such.
This goes for eating out also, some and most of the old folks have more spendable money for that.

yesidonoitall said: RDMustang1 said: yesidonoitall said: Why should a cop or fireman pay less that I do.....

You obviously don't have a clue. Wait tables in a cheap pizza joint and you'll make a lot more than a teacher. Go ask a teacher how much they spend setting up their rooms, supplies a year (pens, pencils, paper, tissue, organizational supplies, etc), party supplies, etc and you will be surprised! Even the teachers that don't give a crap are required to spend good deal of money.

RDMustang1 said: yesidonoitall said: RDMustang1 said: yesidonoitall said: Why should a cop or fireman pay less that I do.....

You obviously don't have a clue. Wait tables in a cheap pizza joint and you'll make a lot more than a teacher. Go ask a teacher how much they spend setting up their rooms, supplies a year on supplies (pens, pencils, paper, tissue, organizational supplies, etc) and you will be surprised! Even the teachers that don't give a crap are required to spend good deal of money.

Well, if in fact true....
Then there needs to be an overhaul...

Does the teachers job description dictate they need to buy these items?
I doubt it.

The ratio of teachers to support personnel is also way out of whack.....
I have seen janitors clamoring, for work to do....it is usually smoking behind the whatever building....
Assistants right there with them....
Maybe even a counselor or principal or two.

yesidonoitall said:

I doubt it.

My last post on this..

To answer your question.. YES! They are required to create a suitable environment to promote learning. The requirement is vague and enforced by the principal. If they don't spend the $$$ to decorate their room and provide materials for the children then their principal can knock them on their yearly performance assessment, can make the teacher's life hell, or worse.

RDMustang1 said: yesidonoitall said:

I doubt it.

My last post on this..

To answer your question.. YES! They are required to create a suitable environment to promote learning. The requirement is vague and enforced by the principal. If they don't spend the $$$ to decorate their room and provide materials for the children then their principal can knock them on their yearly performance assessment, can make the teacher's life hell, or worse.

Then the principal needs an attitude adjustment, does his job description require him to do such?
I will call the local school board Monday and ask if the principal is supposed to do that.

ajackson75 said: Great thread. I am a teacher too. Everybody should give this a green because everybody as benefitted from a teacher.

My teacher taught me to hit the "Post Message" button a dozen times. Thank you, teacher!

yesidonoitall said: RDMustang1 said: yesidonoitall said: Why should a cop or fireman pay less that I do.....

This is a joke right? I teach in a high-needs school and supply students with bookbags, clothing, writing tools, notebooks, loose leaf, etc. I've already spent $200 on board markers, notebooks, cleaning supplies, bulletin board material, and copy paper. BTW, we cannot make copies in school for anything. Tests, test prep, notes home, etc will not be copied by the school. That's a lot in copy fees, multiplied by 100 students!! I spent about $1,000 last year! In that, I created a garden on school grounds bc there was barely a blade of grass. Forget about the kids that the teachers paid for to go on school trips, prom, graduation dues....there's more to it than 'teaching aids.'

zukemania said: yesidonoitall said: RDMustang1 said: yesidonoitall said: Why should a cop or fireman pay less that I do.....

This is a joke right? I teach in a high-needs school and supply students with bookbags, clothing, writing tools, notebooks, loose leaf, etc. I've already spent $200 on board markers, notebooks, cleaning supplies, bulletin board material, and copy paper. BTW, we cannot make copies in school for anything. Tests, test prep, notes home, etc will not be copied by the school. That's a lot in copy fees, multiplied by 100 students!! I spent about $1,000 last year! In that, I created a garden on school grounds bc there was barely a blade of grass. Forget about the kids that the teachers paid for to go on school trips, prom, graduation dues....there's more to it than 'teaching aids.'

I don't know about your situation, but my kids school teacher has a list of things the students have to bring to school at the start of school. In addition they have a 'apple' tree with items the specific class needs. Parents are expected to pick-up this stuff and the PTA pitches-in in any way they can. I don't see the teachers paying for anything and that includes the field trips. The field trips are paid for by the parents and teachers are paid for by the PTA or the field trip fund. Any special things such as graduation etc. is picked up by a joint parents/PTA funding. We just paid for a pedestal fan in the class by pitching-in. Frankly, I know what the teachers in my district make and I make about 10K more than them. As a single earning parent, I make a lot less than the teacher's family and I don't get any bail-out either. Public education is not supposed to add to the expenses of the parent but it is. I don't agree that I should have to pay a penny more than teachers or any other public servant (certainly not the police and fire guys earning 50-200% in overtime).

Wow, siyer68, I hope that you don't speak with such a caustic tone to your child's teacher.

Party City also give discounts. I bought 300 balloons and the cashier said, "Wow, you must be having a big party." I told her that I was a science teacher and I'm using the balloons for a lab. She gave me a discount even though I didn't have my id with me. My colleagues and I have a theory that sometimes you can get a discount without id because you have "the teacher look." Somehow you remind the cashier of a teacher that they have had in their life.

yesidonoitall said: RDMustang1 said: yesidonoitall said:

I doubt it.

My last post on this..

Then the principal needs an attitude adjustment, does his job description require him to do such?
I will call the local school board Monday and ask if the principal is supposed to do that.

Bout time someone called the School Board on their BS. This practice of making teachers buy school supplies goes on mostly at hign needs/at risk schools. Tell the board, the principal needs to cut one of her buddies, so the teachers can have a school supply budget. Also the teachers should have access to all the copiers that the admin staff uses. Remember you're talking to a professional liar. When you hear things like: We're already doing that. We tried that and it doesn't work. The Unions won't let us.... Just say, "prove it"
Good luck.

I am a teacher. Three things to say on this.

1. Nobody seems to be addressing the real reason that a store like Barnes and Nobles offers a discount to teachers. It's not because they feel all fuzzy toward the profession. They want your business. It's targeted marketing. Financially it's more profitable for them (especially if you include public relations) to offer the discount to teachers.

2. The need to spend out of pocket varies dramatically based on district and position. Personally I work for an affluent district so I don't have to worry about paying for paper, copying, food, furniture, etc. I pay a couple hundred out of pocket a year for miscellaneous. I can get reimbursed for that sometimes. There are some teachers in my school that spent significantly more out of pocket. It might make them slightly better teachers, but I think they just have poor money management skills. Sadly those that are paid the most are the least likely to need to spend out of their pocket, while the teachers being paid the least are probably also in the poorest district and very realistically could be spending 1000s of dollars a year on basic supplies.

3. Don't forget teachers spend money in the way of working overtime for free too. If I was paid time and a half for all of my overtime last year and during the summer I'd have made over 20K more. I don't whine about it since I knew that I was getting into... there are perks to the job and drawbacks, and working overtime for nothing is a drawback.

Joann Fabrics also has an educator's discount. 15% year round and one 20% coupon. (at least that was last years dealie...)

yesidonoitall said: MISTERCHEAP said: yesidonoitall said: My exp has been, just tell the cashier you are a teacher and you will get the discount, even though he/she knows you are not.

You are absolutely right!

RDMustang1 said: yesidonoitall said: RDMustang1 said: yesidonoitall said: Why should a cop or fireman pay less that I do.....

You obviously don't have a clue. Wait tables in a cheap pizza joint and you'll make a lot more than a teacher. Go ask a teacher how much they spend setting up their rooms, supplies a year (pens, pencils, paper, tissue, organizational supplies, etc), party supplies, etc and you will be surprised! Even the teachers that don't give a crap are required to spend good deal of money.

Your wife CHOSE to be a teacher, just like I did. Don't whine about it.
We work only 9 months out of the year, remember that.
And while we don't have the cooperation of parents like we used to, nor do we have children interested in learning, we have created many of our own problems: allowing cell phones, calculators, computers, no dress code enforced,.... etc. What ever happened to old-school TEACHING??? Why do you think children today can't compete with the worlds' children educationally? We spend so much on "schooling", but they don't learn. I think it's time we get back to basics, kick out the crap, and TEACH.

jrage001 said: I'm both military and a teacher and I support discounts. Although we are public servants, our pay does not coincide with our risk. I did tours on Iraq and now teach ROTC. I have two bad knees, a bad back, permanent damage to my ear due to an IED. I earn 72k with a masters in psychology. I and many like me donehat we do to preserve your way of life and teach your moat prized possessions, your kids. I see the discounts, however little as a thank you, and a sign of respect. If there is a segment that does as much for so little, then they deserve a discount too.

While I support our military personnel, I do not support what they're told to do. You guys, while risking your lives, are NOT protecting our freedom. If you were, you would be protecting the freedom of all nations. Our military is supposed to defend OUR country. We are not supposed to be the policemen of the world. I am sorry for, and pray for, all our sons and daughters (including my own) who are in other parts of the world on "peacekeeping missions". Not war. We've not had a declaration of war since before Korea. They're all "peacekeeping missions". Ever wonder why? To get around the Constitutional requirement of gaining Congressional approval before declaring war. Furthermore, with "peacekeeping missions", our commander in chief can send our sons and daughters out on UN command. Blue berrets anyone? UGH. The whole think makes me want to vomit.

Every year when I do my tax return, I can't help but have a tremendous amount of sympathy and admiration for our K-12 teachers when I see the line for deduction of out-of-pocket expenses incurred by them. Think about that for a moment. Unless you are self-employed, most of us would be up in arms if we have to spend our own money to do our job. Yet, we are quick in placing blame on our teachers for a myriad of problems and inadequacies over which they have little control. We are quick to attack tenure and whatever allegedly "lavish" benefits for teachers, while unwilling to adequately fund our schools. (The middle-class town where I live voted down a parcel tax of about $50 a year for our school a couple of years ago. They are trying that again this November.) Yes, there are incompetent teachers, but I bet that for every bad teacher in your school, there are probably three people who should be let go in your work place -- probably including the boss.

Teachers should receive discounts because there are tons of bonehead parents who don't buy school supplies. If you don't give the little bas.... a pencil and paper, he will sit there and distract the other kids. School administration will send him back to torment the class if he is sent out for misbehaving, so the only recourse is to break down and give him the supplies.

I am not a teacher -- saw a discount in the Sunday paper not on the 'myeducationdiscount' link provided. Michaels has an extra 10% off on Fridays through 9/24/10 with your Educator ID -- including sale items (some exclusions apply, see sales associate for details). I could not find it on their website, but listed in their sales flyer.

Dollar Tree gives 10% off with School ID.

wow this thread spiraled downhill fast. Guess I'll put in my 2cents...When my wife was a teacher, I was always paying for tons of things out of pocket. was this necessary? no, but she wanted to enhance the kids experiance and so that's just what we did. I imagine many teachers do that. and yes the PTA pays for lots of things, but that doesn't cover the half of it. and yes there are teachers that don't lay out an extra dime if they don't have to, but ask yourself if you would want your child to be in a class where the teacher really didn't care...Also, the govt expects teachers to spend money out of pocket, hence the deduction that teachers can take on their income taxes for it, if I remember correctly $200 or so.

Wow, who cares if you think teachers are underpaid or overpaid, etc. The post was about dicounts for teachers, and was a very reasonable topic, and should stay on topic. Frankly, I don't care if the post is about discounts for serial killers- try to stay on topic.

Hmmmm
My school district ponies up tons for the kids. The kids basically just have to show up . Computers , books, school supplies right down to folders for different subjects.

Of course our school taxes here are HIGH so the homeowners get reamed. Sometimes it makes me want to rent just to avoid the big bucks i would
Save each year in school taxes. I don't live in a rich area either ...... They just have their priorities in education here!

That said.... Point me to the discounts !

Hmmmm
My school district ponies up tons for the kids. The kids basically just have to show up . Computers , books, school supplies right down to folders for different subjects.

Of course our school taxes here are HIGH so the homeowners get reamed. Sometimes it makes me want to rent just to avoid the big bucks i would
Save each year in school taxes. I don't live in a rich area either ...... They just have their priorities in education here!

Skipping 3 Messages...
Sangel said: Hmmmm

RE:
Sometimes it makes me want to rent just to avoid the big bucks i would
Save each year in school taxes.

Ah, some lead such a sheltered (naive) life

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017