• filter:

Staples Rewards for Beginners

• Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
BBBarato said:   I accidentally bought the wrong ink to fulfill the requirements for the ink program. Am thinking about returning them now and seeing what happens. Any experience with this? I suspect I'll have to buy again, but will the renewal date be from this new purchase date or the original?
This will be a problem when the original purchase is older than 6 months, but the return is within the 6 mo window.

Happened to me.  Had to call to get rewards issued.  

rated:
BBBarato said:   I accidentally bought the wrong ink to fulfill the requirements for the ink program. Am thinking about returning them now and seeing what happens. Any experience with this? I suspect I'll have to buy again, but will the renewal date be from this new purchase date or the original?
  Dont return, it will mess all your rewards up.
Sell the ink on eBay. Even if at a loss.

Thats what I do with all I buy to keep in the program.
I buy generics on eBay for Epson and Brother to use.

rated:
The rule is $30 or more in qualified ink/toner purchases in the past 180 days so if you return your purchase you are back to where you were. If you were at $0 before purchase then you would be at $0 after return. To qualify to recycle you would need to purchase again with the new purchase date as effective date.

While the one time I had to do this the system figured it out, I would be tempted to follow the advice of "yesidonoitall" earlier.

rated:
bpvh said:   
The rule is $30 or more in qualified ink/toner purchases in the past 180 days so if you return your purchase you are back to where you were. If you were at $0 before purchase then you would be at $0 after return. To qualify to recycle you would need to purchase again with the new purchase date as effective date.

While the one time I had to do this the system figured it out, I would be tempted to follow the advice of "yesidonoitall" earlier.

Good advice both of you.  I hoped BBBarato would have supplied critical information, the date of the original purchase, so we could have a full understanding of his situation.

To bpvh and YesInoItAll:  Your continued contributions here are appreciated by everyone.

rated:
So I know you can't fight city hall...but I'm wondering if anyone has ever argued this point with them successfully?:

When you use your rewards points and get a "Balance Coupon", it states on it:

"Not valid on services, Staples Gift Cards, postage stamps, prior purchases, online or phone orders from Smilemakers or on other provider web sites."

Those listed above are the only exclusions listed. Based on that I would interpret that it was valid for non-Staples GCs, like Amazon, iTunes, etc.

And, not knowing any better (as I haven't been involved with the program for a while) I tried to use it for an Amazon card and was told no.

As I said - I'm sure I won't win this battle - but why did Staples not simply change "Staples Gift Cards" to "Gift Cards" if that's their intent?

rated:
Rewards are a coupon and AFAIK its not legal to use coupons on gift cards, stamps, lottery tickets, etc.

rated:
my4mainecoons said:   Rewards are a coupon and AFAIK its not legal to use coupons on gift cards, stamps, lottery tickets, etc.
I'm not arguing that you can or can't use them.  It is clear from what they told me at the store you can't.
The problem is that the rewards balance vouchers they give you don't state that they can't be used for gift cards, they only state they can't be used for "Staples gift cards"

I'm sure that there is not really any legal standing because they can make whatever terms they want - but why wouldn't they place the full exclusion on there, especially when it makes the verbiage *simpler* (through the removal of a word).

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017