• filter:
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
IT IS HIGHLY SUGGESTED YOU LOOK THROUGH THE RINGPLUS THREAD: https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1447658/ 

Hopefully this will help the people who don't bother to read from asking the same questions over, and over, and over.

Q: Is it really free? How, and how long will I have it for?
A: Yes it is really free, though some plans require a balance or adding a certain amount of $ to your account. There are also audio ads and paid plans that create revenue. They've been in business for a while now, but even if they do end up closing there are other programs that offer free plans on the Sprint network. In other words, it's worth taking a chance on.

Q: What kinds of phones can be used with ringplus?
A: If it's a Sprint, Virgin Mobile, or Boost Mobile phone, it should work right out of the box. Ringplus uses the Sprint network. If you are looking to buy one in-store, you can check the information from the box to make sure it will work: https://my.ringplus.net/device_validation_requests/new 

Exceptions: No Blackberry (any model), No Palm (any model), No Push-to-Talk (PTT) (any model). Select tablets may be usable with plans that specifically allow them.

There are also select devices from Verizon, T-Mobile, or AT&T that can be used with a Sprint SIM, YMMV. Use the device checker to verify.

Q: What is a good, cheap phone to use?
A: "Good" and "cheap" are not specific descriptors. Search for "ringplus" to see recent threads about qualifying phones. You should also look at the 2015 BF Phone thread to get an idea of what various devices can be found for: https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/expired-deals/1467808/ 

Ultimately it depends on what specific features you are looking for. New flip phones can regularly be found for <$15 retail if you want the bare minimum. Even look at garage sales for old phones; you may have one sitting around somewhere in a drawer. Use the check to see if it works.

Q: How do I know if a phone will work?
A: Open the back of the phone, if possible, to look for a label with the phone information. You may also be able to find the information somewhere in the phone settings.
For android, go to [Settings] > [About Phone] (at the bottom) > [Status].

Find the IMEI, MEID, or ESN and enter it here: https://my.ringplus.net/device_validation_requests/new 

Q: How do I activate a new phone?
A: It's best to NOT turn on a new phone before registering it with ringplus. Go to https://my.ringplus.net/. Log in or create an account. Click on "Activate a New Line". You will be given your choice of plans, some require an account balance, some don't. After choosing your plan, you'll be asked to enter the phone info for activation. Everything should be done automatically for you, but you may have to manually update the phone to get service. There are instructions listed for various models on the ringplus site.

Q: Do I need need to physically have a phone to sign up?
A: No, you just need a valid ESN/MEID that passes the check as a placeholder until you can purchase a phone. You have 14 days to swap in a real phone IIRC.
(thanks mathfaster)

Q: Do I have to pay to try it?
A: No. You can get the basic plan with is completely free, no balance required. 125 Minutes/50 Texts/15 MB LTE/3G Data.

Q: What is the balance for?
A: Your account balance is used in case you go over your allotment of minutes, texts, or data. It will automatically deduct the preset top-up amount for your specific plan and add the services to your account allotment. Your balance is also used to pay for changing devices, changing phone numbers, porting in a number, and buying additional talk/text/data packages.

Q: What was the music when I tried to call someone?
A: There are audio ads that play only when you make a call, and only on your side. You can change the type of ads played in your account dashboard.
Log in and click on the phone you'd like to change. Under "Calling Apps" click on "Ringplus Radio". You can "subscribe" or "unsubscribe" to which ever type of music you'd prefer to hear.

Q: How do I change phones?
A: To swap devices, log in to your account and click on the device you'd like to change. Under "Account Features", click on "Swap Devices". You'll have to enter the ESN/MEID of the new phone. The change should be instant; you will need to update the new phone to get service. Swapping devices costs $1.99 each time and it will be deducted from your account balance.

Q: How much is it per month?
A: That depends on which plan you choose, but for the free plans the monthly cost is zero. The top-ups are a one-time fee and as long as you don't go over your allotment or use other service, there is no cost.

Q: Are there other fees?
A: There are taxes and service fees they have to charge (which vary depending on where you live), but they occur only when you add funds to your account. They do not occur monthly.

Q: If I want additional talk/text/data, how do I get more?
A: You can easily purchase more whenever you need them from your account dashboard. Log in and click on the phone you want to add more services to. Click on "Buy Add Ons" under "Account Settings". You'll be given separate options to purchase whichever service you want more of. It should be added to your account immediately, and the extra T/T/D will last for 30 days. Be warned; the Add On will auto renew each month unless you manually cancel it.

Q: If I am close to my free usage allotment, can I buy additional talk/text/data to prevent an auto top-up from taking from my balance?
A: Yes. Depending on your plan, it might be cheaper to simply buy an Add On, rather than have the preset amount be taken from your balance, and added to the phone that has gone over its allotment.

Q: Can I port in a number?
A: Yes. To port your number in, log in to your account and click on your device. Under "Account Features", click on "Port In / Out". You will need to enter your current information. It costs $6.99 to port in a number, additional ports of the same number will cost $20 each time.

Q: Can I share a balance?
A: No. Each phone has it's own balance and cannot be shared. To activate a new line will require an additional top-up to that phone regardless if it is under the same account or not.

Q: Do I get the balance back if I cancel?
A: Nope. Added funds are not refundable.

Q:Will I loose by balance if I change phones?
A: No. If you change phones, you will keep the same number and still have the same balance as before (minus the $1.99 fee).

Q: Do you lose top-up balance when changing a plan?
A: No, your top-up balance is not affected by a plan change.
(thanks Motivator)

Q: What do I have to do to keep free service?
A: You need to place a call at least once every 60 days. Calls made over wifi through FluidCall should still qualify. If you loose service due to inactivity, you will have to pay a fee to restore usage.

Q: Do I have to make another account for another phone?
A: No. You should be able to have as many phones under the same account, as needed.

Q: Can I reactivate a phone right away after a swap?
A: No. If you replace a phone, the old one cannot be put back as a new line until after 30 days (or the end of its billing cycle). You can however, use it to swap/replace a different existing line, almost immediately.

Q: Can I turn off data/mms/sms?
A: Yes. Log in to your account and click on the device you want to disable services for. Under "Account Features", click on "Manage Device". There are slider buttons to enable or disable each SMS, MMS, and data.

Q: How do I block spam calls?
A: Log in to your account and click on the device you want to block calls on. Under "Online Apps", click on "Call Filters". Click on "Add a new call filter". Enter the number you'd like to block.

Q: How do I change my number?
A: You can change your number any time you need to from your account dashboard. Log in and click on the phone you wish to change the number for. Under "Account Features", click on "Change Phone Number". Click on "Swap My Number" and you will autimatically be given a new number. You don't get a choice of numbers, it's random within your area code. It will cost $0.99 (from your account balance) to change your number each time.

Q: Do MMS count as SMS?
A: No. On the free plans, using MMS will cost against your balance for each one. It's best to disable the feature.

Feel free to add more Q/A if you can, for more info check ringplus's site or the forums at https://discourse.ringplus.net/. 

Moderator Comment: This thread is mirrored to these forums: MOBILE, LAPTOPS, AND COMPUTERS, DEAL DISCUSSION. — Jan. 17, 2017 @ 5:30pm
Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
We have some phones on RingPlus that are actually Boost Mobile subsidized phones from just before the rule change. Is t... (more)

LorenPechtel (Aug. 28, 2016 @ 1:27p) |

In terms of a cell-and one i will only use a few minutes a month.... the tax and fees eat into it. Where is the cheapest... (more)

sunsetcliff (Sep. 23, 2016 @ 7:27p) |

Update: 12-2016 Ringplus has basically gone to hell in a handbasket,,cut all their plans and the technical service/cust... (more)

trumpotron (Dec. 04, 2016 @ 2:08p) |

For a new phone, do NOT open the retail packaging until after successful RingPlus sign-up
So the phone can be returned if sign-up fails.
If you power on the phone before sign-up, the phone might (or likely will?) activate automatically to its original mobile operator (e.g., a Boost phone activate automatically to Boost). A factory reset might not fix it.
If you power on the phone after successful sign-up, the phone might (or likely will?) activate automatically to RingPlus.

Phones HAVE TO have been WHITELISTED by Sprint 
For a phone to work, Sprint HAS TO have WHITELISTED the phone in a database.
You can know for sure and right away by checking your phone against the database at 

https://my.ringplus.net/device_validation_requests/new
https://swappa.com/esn 
https://ting.com/byod 

Make sure all 3 sites say your MEID/ESN/IMEI say that the device can be activated.
If DEC does not work, try HEX, and vice versa.
If the result is negative, and you suspect a temporary RingPlus error, you can verify if Ting's checker [ting.com] says your phone is compatible with Ting's CDMA network (but the phone will NOT work with RingPlus if it is only compatible with Ting's GSM network).
The whitelisting can ONLY be done by Sprint. People here CANNOT help.
Most phones that support Sprint 's frequencies should work, including phones from MVNOs that use the Sprint network (e.g., Boost, Virgin, Ting, Freedompop . Some exceptions include:
WalMart 's Virgin Mobile Data Done Right (It works if you call Virgin Mobile USA and the rep releases the device. If the rep does not want to do it, call again and try someone else)
All BlackBerry, Palm, and Push to Talk phones
Some Nexus and iPhones that support multiple carriers should work. Sorry since R+ updated their website this link is broken. For now refer to the SIM Card Guide to see which of these will work & which SIM you need.
A new Boost, Virgin, or Sprint phone usually works (but do NOT open the retail packaging until after successful RingPlus sign-up):
Thread listing some new Boost, Virgin, or Sprint phones
Best Buy - No-Contract Phones - Boost, Virgin, Sprint - Price Low to High 
PrePaidPhoneNews [prepaidphonenews.com] usually has a "Deal of the Week" article. But prices fluctuate, and Best Buy (right above) usually has the best deal.
A pre-owned/used (i.e., previously "service activated", see below) phone might not work right away:
A previously (service) activated phone must have been active for at least 12 months.
Could only activate a certified pre-owned phone with Boost, but new phones activated fine with RingPlus.
Has to have been a year since it was first (service) activated.
A Freedompop phone's ESN needs to be released by Freedompop first
Contact Freedompop and can take 1-2 days.
More specific steps
Successful Freedompop to RingPlus transition [ringplus.net]
Sprint would not have whitelisted these phones in the database and they will NOT work:
Verizon-specific phones (e.g., Verizon Moto E)
GSM-only phones (unlocked or not), AT&T-specific phones, and T-Mobile -specific phones
"Inventory activation" is NOT "service activation"
When you buy a new phone, do not be concerned when a CSR scans a "Scan For Activation" barcode at checkout (or "point of sale") for theft control.
This "inventory activation" for some phones is actually necessary for Sprint to whitelist the phones in the database.
This "inventory activation" is different from "service activation" when a phone is running and is provisioned for service.

CDMA vs GSM, LTE, 3G, huh?  Confused by it all? If you want to know more about cell phone technology this article might help make sense of it all. And why it's so complicated here in USA. 

Q: What kinds of phones can be used with ringplus?
A: A Sprint branded phone. Virgin Mobile, Boost, and Sprint Prepaid phones can only be used on Ring+ after 12 months of paid service on their respective carrier, after which they can be unlocked for use on Ring+.  Until April 18, 2016, a SprintVirgin Mobile, or Boost Mobile phone, will work right out of the box (usually CDMA network). Ringplus uses the Sprint network. If you are looking to buy one in-store, you can check the information from the box to make sure it will work: https://my.ringplus.net/device_validation_requests/new 

For all practical purposes devices from Verizon, T-Mobile, or AT&T (usually GSM Network) cannot be used with RingPlus except very few high end phone can be used with a Sprint SIM. Use the device checker to verify (if the device checker doesn't recognize your device then it cannot be used on RingPlus).

iPhones models which can be used with RingPlus 

TETHERING ON YOUR RINGPLUS DEVICE 

SIM Card (for a 4G LTE phone, if not already included)

RingPlus SIM Guide [ringplus.net]
A 3G or older phone does NOT require a SIM card.
A 4G LTE phone requires a Sprint or MVNO (Boost, Ting, Virgin) SIM card.
You should be able to reuse a Sprint or MVNO (Boost, Ting, Virgin) SIM card, as long as it was properly released by its previous carrier.
A new (presumably 4G LTE) Sprint -specific (including Boost and Virgin) phone will already come with a compatible SIM card.
Otherwise, see both OP and Wiki of thread with SIM card models and pricing info.
Either SIMGLW426C or SIMGLW446C will work for Nexus 6.
SIMGLW406R for iPhone 5. SIMGLW426C or SIMGLW436C for other iPhones.
Sprint SIM cards are NOT universal. Make sure you get a correct one.
Buying SIM card from RingPlus to "lock in" a promo:
In each "RingPlus forum topic" announcing a promo, you can usually find: "If you purchase a SIM during the promo, we will reserve your place as long as you activate within 14 days after receiving your SIM card."
However, you will probably need to contact RingPlus to get this processed after you receive your SIM card.

How things work

Sign-Up (to register a "user" and under it one "line")
Current Plans and Sign Up [ringplus.net]
For MEID/ESN, if DEC does not work, try HEX, and vice versa.
Be sure to enter ICC ID, which is actually required for most LTE devices, during sign-up.
Payment card:
RingPlus accepts credit, debit, and prepaid cards. A payment card must have been registered and personalized for verification (see below) [ringplus.net].
Beware that if RingPlus needs to charge a top-up but is unable to, RingPlus will suspend your service.
When you add a new payment card, you need to enter both "Card Holder's Name" and Billing Address.
Credit Card "Gateway Rejection: "AVS" [ringplus.net] Also, try your old address.
"Gateway Rejected: Fraud" -- Click Here & please try everything in that post.
Also refer to the RingPlus Knowledge Base - Registration & Validation [ringplus.net] articles.
After sign-up, you will have registered a "user" and under it one "line" (see below).

A "User/E-mail/Your Dashboard" can have multiple "Lines/Phone Numbers/Accounts"
A "user" (or unique e-mail login) has one "Your Dashboard", and can have multiple "lines" within it.
Each line (or unique phone number) is an "account", and has its own plan, its own monthly allotments, and its own account balance.
A person should not use more than one free line [ringplus.net] according to RingPlus CEO in 10/2015.
You may want to have only ONE line under a user and NOT "Activate a New Line", because you might only be able to add an e-mail once to an upgrade waiting list.

For each Line: Account Balance, Top-Up, (usually) Monthly Allotments
Except for the "Truly Free" plan, a plan typically requires an initial top-up (plus taxes and fees, see below), so that your account balance is more than $0.
You usually receive monthly allotments, depending on your plan, of: (x) voice minutes, plus (y) text messages, plus (z) MB of mobile data.
Monthly allotments are renewed every 30 days to the minute, with NO rollover.
You can track your usages (against your monthly allotments) when you click on a line in Your Dashboard.
But you CANNOT set a limit to prevent overage (while you can with Freedompop .
When you click on a line in Your Dashboard, data is shown in GB, and 1 GB = 1024 MB. For example, 1200 MB is shown as 1200 / 1024 = 1.17 GB.
If you are still concerned, for Android phones, under Settings, Data usage, you can set warning and limit for mobile data usage.
Account balance is deducted for MMS ($0.04 per MMS or Group Text), International SMS, Overage, fees [ringplus.net] you to incur, and add-ons you buy.
MMS can be disabled when you click on a line in Your Dashboard, under Account Features, Manage Device.
Overage is typically 2 cents per minute, text message, or MB that you go over your monthly allotments.
SMS and/or Data can also be disabled, just like MMS, when you click on "Manage Device".
Fees are specified at https://ringplus.net/details/#pricing.
Canada is considered international, but almost all calls to Canada are free with Google Voice/Hangout [google.com].
Account balance does not expire and carries over to next month.
If a plan has a $0 Monthly Price (i.e., no monthly charge / "free"), you will NOT be charged again if your account balance stays above $0 (i.e., you will ONLY be charged if and only if your account balance drops to $0).
For example, suppose your account balance is $2.01, and further suppose device swapping costs $1.99. After you "Swap Device" to another phone, your account balance will be $2.01 - $1.99 = $0.02, and your credit card will NOT be charged because your account balance will still be above $0.

Taxes and Fees on Top-Up[LIST]

• For $x in top-up (or add-on), you are charged ($x in top up + $y in taxes and fees).
    The $x in top-up shows up in your account balance.
    The $y in taxes and fees show up once in your invoice. The taxes and fees do NOT recur.
    hese are the fees for the initial top-ups. If you never use up your balance (i.e. get to $0 on your balance) then you will never be charged taxes again. They do not recur monthly. Every person taxes will differ depending on their state, local, 911, etc.
    This example is in fact normal for the first month. No need to create a new ticket/post.
  • If you buy an add-on, and it costs less than your account balance, the cost will be deducted from your account balance. Otherwise it is charged separately and taxed:

R+ Dashboard tools & features
    The R+ Dashboard [ringplus.net] allows you to manage your account, plan(s), device(s), and see how many minutes / SMS / MMS / Data has been used & is left for the billing cycle. It also contains a wide variety of tools & features such as; see your plan usage history, buy add on(s), view voicemails, set call filters, swap devices,, etc. You can have more than 1 line/plan under the same account/login.
    Once you log into your account, you'll see tools to manage your social networks, activate a NEW line, RingPlus Deals, etc. To access most of the other the tools & features you need to click on the device name you want to manage/view. Many things are self-explanatory such as billing history.
    If you swap phones the phone name won’t be changed automatically but you can manually rename it by clicking on the device name you want to change, then hover over the old phone name until an edit button appears to the right of the name.
    “Manage Plan & Add Ons” - view details about the plan & add ons, stop add on(s) from automatically renewing (basically cancelling them. If you have a special promo add on & cancel it you won't be able to add it back at the special pricing), change or cancel your plan, another place you can change your payment info (payment info can NOT be deleted, only changed),
    ”Ringplus Radio” - allows to to change what your hear during the ringback tone in addition to ads You can subscribe/unsubscribe from various genre of music &/or news. Tip: When you press 5 during the ringback tone you'll be sent an SMS (doesn't count against your allotment so it's free) with info & link to buy the product or get additional info & songs can be purchased from iTunes. This is what allows R+ to offer free/low cost service.
    ”Manage Device” - where you can enable/disable SMS, MMS & Data. it also contains your phone MEID / ESN, ICC ID, MSID and MSL. MMS are not usually included in a plan, they cost .04 cents each & the cost will be deducted from your top up balance. Group texts are usually counted as MMS, if you don't want to receive & pay for MMS you may want to disable this.
    ”Manage Apps” - Manage/set voicemail settings, Activate/Deactivate: Call Filters, Recall (Free to use on demand call recorder, record both sides of conversation), Phone Booth (helps know, limit & manage international calls), In-call translator (cost .14 cent per minute)
    Listen to Recall recordings or view transcribed text. (Recall will also email you the transcribed result)
    Voice mail settings also allow you to toggle to receive SMS and/or email notifications of new voicemails, allows you to give callers the option to send you an SMS rather than leave a message, ability to add an Emergency Redirect phone number allowing callers the option to be redirected to another number if there is an emergency. 

Activation (for service, i.e., provisioning) problems, if you do not get proper phone service
    If a phone does not activate for service properly after powering on, try RingPlus' Help Center [ringplus.net].
    In the Help Center, besides following "Typical Provisioning Steps", be sure to also check suggestions for your specific device.
    If you have a 4G LTE device, you MUST enter the ICC ID during sign-up or "Swap Device".
    Add Ons info
    You can buy an add on if you want/need more minutes, text and/or data and don't want to pay overage charges. There are various options to choose from accessible from your R+ Dashboard
    Add On(s) will automatically renew each month until you cancel it.
    The cost will be deducted from your top up balance. If you don't have enough balance to pay for it your credit card will be charged PLUS TAXES/FEES
    Add ons sometimes have special promo pricing & requirements. Please read the requirements carefully when purchasing a special promo add on since if you cancel it, change plans or cancel your Member+ membership you may lose the special pricing for the add on.
    Member+ members have access to special deals on add ons that non-member+ don't have. It's one of the benefits of the Member+ program. Click HERE for info on the Member+ program.
    An add on billing cycle is from the day your purchase the add on which may not be the same as your plan billing cycle. For example, you started your plan on the 1st of the month and it will renew on the 1st of the next month. You then purchase an add on on the 15th of the month, the add on will renew on the 15h of the next month.
    What gets used first the plan allotment or the Add On? Per R+ The soonest-to-expire will always be used first Please refer to this thread on R+ Social [ringplus.net]
    Upgrade Waiting List (for upgrading to a PROMO PLAN previously open ONLY to NEW LINES)
    What is an upgrade waiting list for?
    If you have already signed up (i.e., you have an existing line), you can sign up for an upgrade waiting list, so that the existing line can potentially be upgraded to a PROMO PLAN that was previously open ONLY to NEW LINES during a previous promotion.
    For example, the Legends 1 promotion ran from 1/15 to 1/18. One promo plan was called Sammy Baugh, and it was open ONLY to NEW LINES (i.e., existing lines were NOT eligible) from 1/15 to 1/18.
    On 1/20, an upgrade waiting list for Sammy Baugh became open, so that if you had an existing line, you could sign up and potentially be upgraded to Sammy Baugh later on.
    If you just want to upgrade to a NON-PROMO PLAN, you do not need to be on an upgrade waiting list. Instead, simply click on "Upgrade Plan".
    If your existing plan is "free", you must toggle "Next Billing Cycle" to Yes.
    Upgrade top up charge:
    As long as your account balance is not zero, you will not be charged if you "Upgrade Plan".
    Official words from RingPlus CEO [ringplus.net]
    As long as your account balance is not zero, you will not be charged when you are upgraded from an upgrade waiting list.
    For example, you will NOT be charged if your already have a $5 balance, and the new plan requires a $$ top up.

Swapping vs. New line Waiting Period
    Swapping can be done to any eligible phone, it doesn't have to be a "new" in box phone. The phone can't be active on any other plan, though. You can use the ESN checker on RingPlus' website to check eligibility. And you need a balance on your account to pay for the swap. No phone on the account can be in the middle of a port-in process. Swaps into an existing free plan also require no waiting period, even if the device was recently on a canceled free plan or swapped out of another free plan.

Activating a "new" free line with a canceled or swapped out phone from a free line will require you to wait until the end of the billing cycle. In that case, RingPlus gives a message when you can activate a new free line again with the phone, and it may be a very short time depending on where the plan (that it came from) is in its billing cycle.
    3-way Swap
    Goal - swap 2 phones between 2 plans with aid of a 3rd phone or ESN which is inactive, and swapping can be done immediately without a waiting period. First make sure your RingPlus balance on each plan has enough to cover the swaps. In this example $4 on Plan A, $2 on Plan B. The plans do not have to be on the same RingPlus account.

Plan A - has Phone A
    Plan B - has Phone B
    Phone C is an inactive Phone or ESN

1) Plan A - swap from Phone A to Phone C
    2) Plan B -swap from Phone B to Phone A
    3) Plan A - swap from Phone C to Phone B
    4) Phone C is back to being inactive

*Each of the 3 device swaps costs $1.99 cents each, so it costs about $6 to complete a three way swap as shown.
    Canceling a free line ties up the phone until the next billing cycle if you are trying to activate a NEW free line with the phone, just as if the phone was swapped out of a free plan. Doing a device swap on a different free plan to the phone from the canceled free plan works immediately.. 

Porting
    Beware of likely delays if you port over a weekend or holiday. RingPlus does not work weekends and holidays, and supposedly porting is a manual process.
    Porting times will vary greatly. My personal experiences from start of port until it is complete varied from less than 1 hour to 3-4 days (started on a Tuesday). If you start on a Friday or near the weekend, it will take longer due to the weekend and I assume some part of the porting process needing a manual component or something. Other posts in the thread also have similar experiences. If you have a problem in the process, it is usually user error, either you typo-ed or you have the account num, PIN, address on file doesn't match where you are porting from.
    Tip: You may want to consider porting to Google Voice, and forward calls from Google Voice to RingPlus.

Credit Card errors
    Gateway Rejected: Fraud Click Here & please try everything in that post.
    Gateway Rejected: AVS Please refer to R+ KnowledgeBase article [ringplus.net] If you get this error please do as instructed & do NOT keep trying repeatedly without finding out why the address is being rejected. If you do you may trigger the "Fraud" error which you'll just keep getting repeatedly & the only way to clear it is to wait several hours maybe longer before you can retry. So far the amount of time required to wait is unknown.
    CSA error. Please refer to R+ Knowledge Base article [ringplus.net]

What is the Member+ Program
Member+ is a RingPlus membership program that gives Members exclusive additional benefits. The subscription is tied to a specific phone line, not account or login, and is NOT transferable. Benefits range from special pricing on wireless services to promotional pricing in the RingPlus store for items sold by sponsors and RingPlus.
Specific Member+ benefits include:
1) Priority Support (March 15th 2015).
2) Special Prices for data Add Ons.
3) Special store discounts and credits exclusively for Member+ subscribers for products and services from RingPlus and its sponsors.
4) Exclusive cell plans for Member+ subscribers.
5) VIP Priority for Upgrade Waiting Lists (for waiting lists joined after becoming a Member+ subscriber).
6) RingPlus support will handle the following for Member+ subscribers only:
a. Member+ subscribers can enjoy the benefits of any RingPlus promotion up to 2 days after the promotion is closed to everyone else.
b. Support staff will swap ESNs for you between accounts (basically, internal ports for free).
c. Member+ subscribers will be able select their area code (coming soon).
***More benefits to come.***
How much does Member+ cost?
New Members cost $ refer to current promo thread
Current members cost $ refer to current promo thread
TAX INCLUDED!
Will the Member+ cost be taken from my top up balance? NO, the payment info or credit card in your Ringplus account will be charged.
If I get a plan for which Member+ is a requirement then let the membership expire or cancel it what happens to my plan? YOU MUST MAINTAIN YOUR MEMBER+ MEMBERSHIP TO KEEP THE MEMBER+ PLAN! If you let your Member+ expire or cancel it, your plan will be changed at the end of the plan billing cycle to the current default plan, which as of this writing is the Truly Free Plan. This applies to Member+ ONLY plans, not any other non-Member+ free plans. Please also refer to this R+ Social thread by R+ employee

Member+ Promo 
Q: Can I get a short term Members+ add on to upgrade existing plan and not renew it?
A: No, when your M+ expires, your plan will get downgraded to the Truly Free plan at the end of the billing cycle. *Please note that you must keep your Member+ subscription to keep the benefits you got with your Member+ subscription, and if you cancel Member+ you will lose the benefits of Member+ including all plans and Add Ons you may have purchased during your Member+ subscription period). 

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
LG VOLT tethering with built-in app

Use Shortcut Master (Lite) by vndnguyen from Play Store.

1) After installing and then launching the app, go to upper right corner menu and tap the three dots. 

2) Do a search (third option from top in menu) for "Apn". 

3) Towards the bottom, there are three "com.lge.hiddenmenu" options in white letters. IMPORTANT: Tap the middle option that reads "com.lge.hiddenmenu.vzw_only.ApnSettings" in gray letters under it.

4) Tap on "Launch" (picture of the rocket ship).

5) Tap on "internet" option at the top. 

6) Go down and tap on "APN type". IMPORTANT: Now add ",dun" at the end of "default,mms". VERY IMPORTANT: When done, it should be "default,mms,dun". Tap "OK".

7) Go to upper right corner menu and tap the three dots. Tap on "Save". Exit out of app and reboot the phone.

8) When phone boots up, go to "Settings" and under "Wireless Networks" at the top, tap on "More...". The option is located below "Call" and "Share & connect" that are below the toggle switches for Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Mobile Data, etc. 

9) Tap on "Wi-Fi hotspot" and then tap on "Set up Wi-Fi hotspot". Set security (WPA2 PSK is best) and a password. A password is IMPORTANT! You should change Network SSID (e.g. "C:\Virus.exe", "Network Not Found", "Hidden Network" or whatever you like). Tap "Save".

10) You can now toggle "Wi-Fi hotspot" on and enjoy wireless tethering!

For  LG Tribute 2 that would like to enable the built-in Tethering feature without root, Here's a simple app to open the "Chameleon Node" screen with the right permission (shortcut apps fail because of this). From here, you can use the same method used on the Volt to enable the tethering feature.

Note: Built-in tethering requires an account that allows tethering. Otherwise, you'll see an error when you enable it.

The same procedure works on my Volt though.

Link to APK:

Code:
https://goo.gl/gZGGJf
To install:
Download/copy the APK file to your phone.
You can use the phone's File Manager app to open the APK, if needed.
If this is the first time you're installing an APK manually, you will get a warning, and an option to turn on installing from "Unknown Sources" -- enable it.

To enable the tethering options:
Run this app ("Open Chameleon Node").
Scroll down and look for "TetheredData".
Click GET to see the current setting (1 is the default, IIRC).
Change the value to 4, click SET.

You should now see a "Tethering" option in Android's System Settings, just below "Share & Connect".

rated:
This was very much needed. Wonderful post!

rated:
Q: Do you lose top-up balance when changing a plan?
A: No, top-up balance is not affected by a plan change.
Source: https://discourse.ringplus.net/t/change-cancel-plan-dashboard-to...

Comment on swapping devices:
When swapping devices, the name of new device may or may not automatically be updated in your account. You can manually update it using these steps:
1. Go to Dashboard
2. Click on device name in the upper right corner
3. Move mouse cursor over the device name. An "edit" link pops up.
4. Click edit.
5. Enter a correct device name and click Update.

rated:
The other common question is "Do I need an actual phone to sign up? No, you just need a valid ESN/MEID that passes the check as a placeholder until you can purchase a phone. You have 14 days to swap in a real phone IIRC. The phone does not need to work nor do you need a real phone at all.

rated:
mathfaster said:   The other common question is "Do I need an actual phone to sign up? No, you just need a valid ESN/MEID that passes the check as a placeholder until you can purchase a phone. You have 14 days to swap in a real phone IIRC. The phone does not need to work nor do you need a real phone at all.
I don't think it's 14 days.
All you need is to make a call within 60 days which means that you can swap anytime between 0 to 60 days.

rated:
marcopolomle said:   
mathfaster said:   The other common question is "Do I need an actual phone to sign up? No, you just need a valid ESN/MEID that passes the check as a placeholder until you can purchase a phone. You have 14 days to swap in a real phone IIRC. The phone does not need to work nor do you need a real phone at all.
All you need is to make a call within 60 days which means that you can swap anytime between 0 to 60 days.

It's 14 days after you receive your shipment of a phone or sim from them you have to activate. Which is another way to sign up for plan when you don't have a phone right away. Not sure they offer that option on all sign ups for new plans.

rated:
Deleted - stated in FAQ - using FluidCall when roaming outside US

rated:
kychao said:   Since Sprint network that Ringplus uses has limited countries that you can roam & call, any suggestion to fulfill the requirement of "to make a call within 60 days" if you are travelling outside US for more than 60 days? I doubt if the wifi calling using Google voice counts since it does not play the Ringplus radio or song Ad.
  Look into using R+'s SIP client. It's in your account. You may just need the SIP credentials? and you can use whatever SIP client you want IIRC.

rated:
mathfaster said:   
marcopolomle said:   

It's 14 days after you receive your shipment of a phone or sim from them you have to activate. Which is another way to sign up for plan when you don't have a phone right away. Not sure they offer that option on all sign ups for new plans.

From my personal experience this is BAD info!  I registered a dummy MEID on the Truly Free plan about 45 days ago and it always showed up as active.  I registered on the Leonardo 2 upgrade waiting list and was upgraded Jan 1, 2016.  If you don't know what a dummy MEID is, google it.

rated:
LOF thanks for your work on the FAQ. One small correction, I think that starting with this latest 2016 CNET CES Promo, they are allowing data only-devices.

Rembrandt Plan

$19.99/mo. for 2000MB of full speed 4G LTE data.
This Plan is for data-only devices (e.g., iPads).
It is available at https://ringplus.net

rated:
FMB1 said:   LOF thanks for your work on the FAQ. One small correction, I think that starting with this latest 2016 CNET CES Promo, they are allowing data only-devices.

Rembrandt Plan

$19.99/mo. for 2000MB of full speed 4G LTE data.
This Plan is for data-only devices (e.g., iPads).
It is available at https://ringplus.net

duly noted

rated:
mathfaster said:   
kychao said:   Since Sprint network that Ringplus uses has limited countries that you can roam & call, any suggestion to fulfill the requirement of "to make a call within 60 days" if you are travelling outside US for more than 60 days? I doubt if the wifi calling using Google voice counts since it does not play the Ringplus radio or song Ad.
  Look into using R+'s SIP client. It's in your account. You may just need the SIP credentials? and you can use whatever SIP client you want IIRC.

How do I make WIFI calls? 

https://discourse.ringplus.net/t/how-do-i-make-wifi-calls/2848

https://discourse.ringplus.net/t/getting-started-with-fluidcall-wifi-calling-app-for-ringplus/2133

https://discourse.ringplus.net/t/fluidcall-wifi-calling-everything-you-need-to-know/3535

rated:
Can I sign up for the free basic plan now, and later switch to a better free promotional plan (and paying the required balance)?

rated:
frugalpete said:   Can I sign up for the free basic plan now, and later switch to a better free promotional plan (and paying the required balance)?
  Better to wait for the new plans since the only way you can switch later is via a waitlist which takes time and are not that frequent.

rated:
If I use an IPhone 4 (Sprint) what type of SIM card do I need? I could get it in Amazon if anyone has favorites there

SIMs are not in the FAQ & I know one is required.

rated:
frugalpete said:   Can I sign up for the free basic plan now, and later switch to a better free promotional plan (and paying the required balance)?
  if you really need it, go ahead, otherwise it would be better to just wait

considering how many they have been running you shouldn't have to wait more than a week for the next one
pacificgrovecity said:   If I use an IPhone 4 (Sprint) what type of SIM card do I need? I could get it in Amazon if anyone has favorites there

SIMs are not in the FAQ & I know one is required.

did you put it through the checker yet?

rated:
RingPlus has a YouTube Channel.
Notably, the have a "How Do You Do That?" series that currently has 29 videos: www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfJ6AWxceLcKiuae0eOCemkIuhHqcw_D7
Click "Playlist" link at the top of the page to see their other video series, including tutorials (additional content also under Home, Discussion, About, etc.).

rated:
Another thing I learned recently that you cannot block SMS but only calls can be block using the blacklist.

rated:
hah, didn't even know about this. Nice work and sorely needed.

rated:
I have 2 NEW phones (Lumia 640 and LG Optimus Exceed2) that were never activated. The device checker doesn't recognize either of them. Does it have anything to do with the fact that those two phones were never activated?

TIA

rated:
confused200 said:   I have 2 NEW phones (Lumia 640 and LG Optimus Exceed2) that were never activated. The device checker doesn't recognize either of them. Does it have anything to do with the fact that those two phones were never activated?

TIA

Did you even bother to READ any of the FAQ's in the OP ?

rated:
thanks, I'll try to read it all later. Hope I didn't step on any toes, I included this link in the SD R+ promo today. Thanks for your help in keeping R+ and our free service going.

rated:
I updated the Quick Summary with a Copy & Paste from the "other" site.
Please feel free to edit as appropriate.

rated:
thx!

rated:
Can the voicemail greeting be changed?  if yes, how?

rated:
To Re-provisioning your phone for people doing Phone swaps this week:

Reset The Existing Carrier Data

Fire up the dialer application
Dial ##72786# (For newer phones like LG Tribute 2 this is all you need to do. Make sure you are connected to WiFi network)

For older phone:
It will ask you for your password or "MSL" - Your MSL can be found in the Accounts page of yourRingPlus Dashboard
Click "Done" or click "OK" until your phone reboots.

Manually Provisioning Your PRL Update

Fire up the dialer application
Dial ##MSL# (Your MSL can be found in the Accounts page of your RingPlus Dashboard)
Choose "Edit"
Click on "MDN" or "Phone Number"
Enter your 10-digit phone number (without any hyphens or punctuation)
Click "Done"
If necessary, click on "MSID"
Enter the 10-digit MSID that is found in the Accounts page of your RingPlus Dashboard. Note: Please remove all of the zero's!
Click "Done" or continue to click "Done" until your phone reboots.
You should now be able to make phone calls and texts! Next comes setting up your data connection.

Enabling Data by running a Profile Update (Android)

Strongly Recommended
Connect to a local WiFi signal. If you get an error at any point that says "No update available," connecting to a WiFi network will allow the handset to go over the Internet and reach the provisioning servers.
Hold down the "Home" button or click on the “Application” icon
Click “Settings”
Click “System Updates” - depending on your version of Android (2.3, 4.0, 4.1, 5.0, etc...) this may also require you to swipe side-to-side to find it on a different screen.
Click "Update Profile". The device will connect via the internet and provision your data.
Your phone will now reboot and when it comes back up, you should have full data!

This process will likely reset your MMS as well - if you'd like MMS to function, you'll probably need to Update Your MMS / MMSC URL

rated:
how do you pay do a prepaid card for topup!? babysteps/details!

rated:
lexx said:   how do you pay do a prepaid card for topup!? babysteps/details!
Simple answer--you can't use a prepaid GC.

I tried many pre-paid cards but none of them worked.
I also read on the RingPlus forum that the reason they don't allow prepaid cards is due to potential for recurring charges. Also, I suspect they don't want the headache to go after people who have run out of funds in their prepaid card after amassing substantial charges (e.g.going over the data limits).
Another reason might be that people will sign up using prepaid cards and start selling the phones with RingPlus plans on eBay /Craiglist etc.

rated:
marcopolomle said:   
lexx said:   how do you pay do a prepaid card for topup!? babysteps/details!
Simple answer--you can't use a prepaid GC.

I tried many pre-paid cards but none of them worked.
I also read on the RingPlus forum that the reason they don't allow prepaid cards is due to potential for recurring charges. Also, I suspect they don't want the headache to go after people who have run out of funds in their prepaid card after amassing substantial charges (e.g.going over the data limits).
Another reason might be that people will sign up using prepaid cards and start selling the phones with RingPlus plans on eBay /Craiglist etc.

what about a prepaid debit card? i dont want to give them my debit bank account card#

rated:
anyone got the list of non-Sprint phone that works with ringplus? I remember seeing the list that included iphone 5(maybe 5s) and up from verizon, att and tmobile

thanks.

rated:
Does anyone get these random text charges ...

One Example ... This occurs many times a month even though I have not exceeded my text message limit.

May 2, 2016 at 4:43pm CDT (xxx) xxx-xxxx Text Only $0.04

I have been waiting for Ringplus to respond to my ticket.

rated:
jschuman said:   Does anyone get these random text charges ...

One Example ... This occurs many times a month even though I have not exceeded my text message limit.

MMS?

https://discourse.ringplus.net/t/being-charged-for-mms-with-text-only/9406/4 

https://my.ringplus.net -> select phone line -> manage device -> disable MMS

rated:
jatan1986 said:   
jschuman said:   Does anyone get these random text charges ...

MMS?

https://discourse.ringplus.net/t/being-charged-for-mms-with-text-only/9406/4 

https://my.ringplus.net -> select phone line -> manage device -> disable MMS

That is what I thought at first, but I do see my MMS messages listed @ 4 cents and Single photos listed @ 4 cents. 

This is just random "Text Only" charges and I was texting at the time listed.  BTW, it is an android device.

rated:
I bought a Boost MotoE and got it signed up with Ringplus before Sprint's FED policy came into effect.

What is a good cheap way to get another phone that will work with R+?

I have seen some listings on eBay for used cellphones that are supposed to be OK with R+ but it seems like a pretty big risk.

rated:
Onenote said:   I bought a Boost MotoE and got it signed up with Ringplus before Sprint 's FED policy came into effect.

I have seen some listings on eBay for used cellphones that are supposed to be OK with R+ but it seems like a pretty big risk.

buy it from Ringplus directly.
new phones from the ringplus store are exempt from Sprint's feid.

and these new phones automatically come with the current ringplus offer.

rated:
yurgreat said:   
Onenote said:   I bought a Boost MotoE and got it signed up with Ringplus before Sprint 's FED policy came into effect.

I have seen some listings on eBay for used cellphones that are supposed to be OK with R+ but it seems like a pretty big risk.

buy it from Ringplus directly.

They aren't cheap.
Best bet is Boost CPO  (YMMV) or eBay

rated:
yurgreat said:     buy it from Ringplus directly.
new phones from the ringplus store are exempt from Sprint 's feid.

and these new phones automatically come with the current ringplus offer.

Uhh yeah....YMMV on that one.  It might be because I'm using a PayPal business debit card, but that RingPlus Store does not want to take my deposit for a loaner phone or let me purchase one outright.  I'm not the only one either, just today there were 2 folks who don't even have a line with Ring+ and their orders were cancelled too.

rated:
We have some phones on RingPlus that are actually Boost Mobile subsidized phones from just before the rule change. Is there any way to unlock them for foreign travel? (Yes, there is CDMA support where we are going.)

Skipping 2 Messages...
rated:
Update: 12-2016 Ringplus has basically gone to hell in a handbasket,,cut all their plans and the technical service/customer service went from bad to basically non-existent,,I am on day 4 waiting for a ticket response,,all i did was change to another plan !!(had to as they cancelled most of their plans and is forcing all their customers onto lame plans..)and now i have no service (day 4),,,i believe they are going tats up soon...so i am already looking elsewhere for another carrier...they play to many games with you and Pray you NEVER need any support from them.....

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017