• filter:

Lowe's not accepting store credit online - beware of buying GC's from 3rd party sites

• Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
I was placing a Lowe*s.com order today with some cards I got at CardCash/Raise along with a physical GC I had, and needed to order a few more to finish the order (this morning).  The card balances check out fine, and were all applied to the order.  When Raise finished processing the order for the additional cards (this afternoon) and I went to place the order with the additional cards, only the physical GC was working, the rest said "Please enter a valid Lowe*s Gift Card number."

I called CS to place the order and was told that just today (within the last few hours) any credits that are merchandise return credits have to be used in-store only due to fraud concerns.  I don't know if maybe the GC system is down or if this is true, but if so it has just become a lot more inconvenient to buy GC's before making an order because now they have to be used in store.  The saving grace is that hopefully their value will go down because of their inability to be used online so the discount off the face values will be greater.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I've dealt with these Lowes CS idiots several times over these exact issues and have no doubt this is a legit member of ... (more)

dribble (Apr. 19, 2017 @ 3:42p) |

In your specific case only, I would recommend writing to Lowes and getting those turned into G/Cs.

forbin4040 (Apr. 19, 2017 @ 3:46p) |

Wasted approximately 20 hours (literally) working with them to change back this "merchandise" card back to the gift card... (more)

dribble (Apr. 19, 2017 @ 5:03p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Thanks for the heads up! If they fail to accept their own credits online I'll have to see if that's in their terms, will be bringing them into the store for a refund of my money.

rated:
Are the GCs you bought due to returns ?? Is there any way that may be the difference?

rated:
I just tried to place an order using a card I received from Gift Card Spread, talked with a representative and got the same thing from Lowes chat. They said you need the actual cards to make the purchase.

OP, did you try taking your paper gift card instore to see if that would work? Or does it need to be the physical plastic card?

rated:
sauceyapple said:   I just tried to place an order using a card I received from Gift Card Spread, talked with a representative and got the same thing from Lowes chat. They said you need the actual cards to make the purchase.

OP, did you try taking your paper gift card instore to see if that would work? Or does it need to be the physical plastic card?

I'm going to take the printouts and use those, they verify on the site with the correct amount so I don't see why they won't work in store.

Sucks because now there's no FW CashBack and the order isn't waiting for me when I get there.

rated:
Please post if they accept or reject it. I hope they don't need the plastic.

Not only do we lose out in Cash Back, but also in not using all the online coupon codes.

rated:
Hasn't this always been the case with Lowes.com? I know a couple years back I tried to use a store credit that I received from B&M for items I returned and I couldn't use it online. It sucks but I don't think this is anything new.

rated:
rapfreak said:   Hasn't this always been the case with Lowes.com? I know a couple years back I tried to use a store credit that I received from B&M for items I returned and I couldn't use it online. It sucks but I don't think this is anything new.
 No, it hasn't.  Buying credits/GC's from 3rd party sites (and using my own from returns) has always worked online for in store pickup, and the rep specifically said the change started yesterday.

rated:
http://krebsonsecurity.com/2015/12/the-role-of-phony-returns-in-gift-card-fraud/ 

A lot of merchandise credits resold online are from the return of stolen merchandise.

rated:
I order something online from Lowes's website for Christmas with my gift card and it worked. The problem was when I went to pick up the item in the store, it took them a while to see my order did not go through. The sales guy said in store inventory is not always accurate. Get your act together Lowes and not waste my time. I almost threw away my GC when I thought my order went through.

rated:
So I went to B&M with the same luck as online. Their computer wouldn't take the paper gift card and said there wasn't anything they could do.

rated:
I don't get why Lowes just doesn't ask for ID when you pickup an order using a merchandise card. That would prevent fraud. I don't have a problem with this.

rated:
Ok, here is the deal as I know it. Lowes has recently changed their policy on using merchandise credits, not purchased gift cards.

- Gift cards are purchased at a retailer like Lowes or Giant Eagle Grocery Stores.
- Merchandise credits are cards that are given for return of items at the store if you do not have a receipt or if you used a gift card for purchase.

Gift cards may be used online for purchases. Merchandise credits may not. Many companies such as Card Cash, Raise and Cardpool resell gift cards of individuals that would rather have a smaller % of cash than the gift card. If it is a printable card from the reseller they do not disclose if it was a merchandise credit or a gift card.  The problem arose that Lowes used to take gift cards and merch credits online in the same way. To discourage returners without receipts from selling their gift cards they have made it difficult for resellers to verify the balance of a merchandise credit without entering the store with the physical card. There was no scam by Card Cash or Raise, they are not Lowes and they were doing business the way it worked for the last year at least. Then Lowes changed its policy and that is the issue.

If you have a printed voucher from reseller card companies and not a physical card, just call or write the company you purchased it from and I am sure they will try and get you the physical card. If you need to place an order for something online only you will probably have to go into the store and order it at customer service with your merchandise credit. The discount on Lowes cards on Raise right now is the lowest it has been in quite a while. If you have any projects coming up now is the time to buy.....you will just have to wait a few days for the card to be mailed to you as that is their policy now.

rated:
dougtr said:   If you have a printed voucher from one of the companies and not a physical card, just call or write them and I am sure they will try and get you the physical card. If you need to place an order for something online only you will probably have to go into the store and order it at customer service with your merchandise credit. 
According to what I read on another site, the store register absolutely will not accept a merchandise credit without the physical card.

Merchandise credit isn't just something you get for making a return without a receipt.
If you buy something with a gift card and return it with a receipt or they cancel your online pick-up in store order, Lowe's has always given your money back as a merchandise credit.

Essentially I can order something online with a gift card, and the store cancels the order because they don't have it, and I'm stuck with a merchandise credit that I can no longer use online.
There is nothing in their terms and conditions that remotely suggests that refunds with a receipt or store cancellations will be refunded in funny money that is more restricted than the gift card you originally paid with.

rated:
gd78 said:   
dougtr said:   If you have a printed voucher from one of the companies and not a physical card, just call or write them and I am sure they will try and get you the physical card. If you need to place an order for something online only you will probably have to go into the store and order it at customer service with your merchandise credit. 
According to what I read on another site, the store register absolutely will not accept a merchandise credit without the physical card.
Merchandise credit isn't just something you get for making a return without a receipt.  If you buy something with a gift card and return it with a receipt or they cancel your online pick-up in store order, you Lowe's has always given your money back as a merchandise credit.

Essentially I can order something online with a gift card, and the store cancels the order because they don't have it, and I'm stuck with a merchandise credit that I can no longer use online. There is nothing in their terms and conditions that remotely suggests that refunds with a receipt or store cancellations will be refunded in funny money that is more restricted than the gift card you originally paid with.

I edited my post to reflect I meant that anyone with a paper or e-card voucher from Cardcash, Raise, Cardpool or other place should contact those companies directly to get a physical card mailed to them to use inside a Lowes store.  I am sure this policy change will upset many customers of Lowes and the card resellers.  I know that Raise and Cardcash are only selling physical cards now and no e-cards have been issued since they received notice of Lowe's policy change.

rated:
sauceyapple said:   So I went to B&M with the same luck as online. Their computer wouldn't take the paper gift card and said there wasn't anything they could do.
 Good to know, I'm not going to bother trying and will just get a refund from Raise on the cards I purchased.

rated:
I still have a Lowes egift card that I have a balance that I bought back in Sept 2015.
I just chat with raise.com and they'll ask the seller to mail that the physical(yeah, good luck with that) card and if they can't get it, they're refund me the balance.
crossing my fingers. I wonder how they'll get the balance off the egift card since the balance lookup doesn't even work. lucky it was only $2x.xx left.

rated:
It is not the third party sites that are at fault. I have several paper cards issued for Lowes from legitimate 3rd party sites. While Lowes is sending customers back to those sites, it is Lowe's that has decided not to accept any "paper" store credit. The policy became effective on January 8, 2016 which means anyone who bought store credit as a paper card prior to that date is being cheated by Lowes out of their credit. The credit remains active but if you hold a paper card Lowes will not honor it. Essentially Lowes is keeping our money!!!  You can tell if you have store credit (versus a real gift card) but looking at the 9th digit in the card number. If it is a "4" then Lowes has decided to keep your money.

rated:
Lowes hasn't decided to 'keep' your money. They have decided to remind everyone and enforce that Store Credit's can't be resold.

The seller has the money.

No different than if you bought a Gift Card from Raise and when you went to use it, it was invalid.

rated:
forbin4040 said:   Lowes hasn't decided to 'keep' your money. They have decided to remind everyone and enforce that Store Credit's can't be resold.

The seller has the money.

No different than if you bought a Gift Card from Raise and when you went to use it, it was invalid.

When and where has Lowe's said they can't be resold?  They've handled them exactly like gift cards up until this point.

rated:
swchoi said:   I still have a Lowes egift card that I have a balance that I bought back in Sept 2015.
I just chat with raise.com and they'll ask the seller to mail that the physical(yeah, good luck with that) card and if they can't get it, they're refund me the balance.
crossing my fingers. I wonder how they'll get the balance off the egift card since the balance lookup doesn't even work. lucky it was only $2x.xx left.

Surprisingly, they sent me the physical card, but not after I kept chasing them.
They said they didn't have a response from the original seller and that they would refund me, but a few days later I got the physical card instead.
When I talk to support, it was thru chat, and it took a long time like they don't know what they're doing.
Every time they ask, type a response, I have to wait for them around 10 minutes or more.

rated:
I have been pursuing this Lowes as I have paper cards that they have made invalid. I went to what they claim to be the highest level of customer support and was told in a very scripted fashion that there is nothing they will do. I plan to pursue this with government agencies as well as social media. Is anyone aware of a central location where those of us who have been scammed by Lowes can organize and perhaps initiate a class action suit or at least put pressure on the company.

This is not an issue of the resellers. They have been caught in the middle. They sold valid cards and Lowes unilaterally made them invalid. Lowes is essentially stealing our money.

rated:
Related data point: Lowe's started doing the same thing as Home Depot - requiring driver's licence for receipted items purchased with either physical gift cards or physical MRC Card. Assuming that they are also going to be using TRE as their watchdog, I'm going to adjust my buying habits accordingly. That is: buy with credit card / preloaded anonymous Amex/Visa/MC card, then re-bill on a GC later when the project is complete.

Also, when it's time to redeem my points for gift cards at Discover, I'm not going to be choosing Lowe's card any longer. Enough of that.

rated:
Bought 1300.00 in Lowes cards (mistakenly ordered 2 of them on paper gc)thru Cardpool. The 2 gc's that we got that were paper were over 700.00 and were refused at the register by Lowes. Even alluded to the fact that we were criminals!! Cardpool guarantees their items and we got back our money, but I will never order another card without having the hard plastic card!!

rated:
Just ordered $3400 on new appliances online at Lowe's. In the past I would have bought discounted gift cards to pay for the transaction. Luckily I came across this thread, or I may have been deep in the hole.

rated:
ivanivanix said:   Related data point: Lowe's started doing the same thing as Home Depot - requiring driver's licence for receipted items purchased with either physical gift cards or physical MRC Card.

I made a purchase with a physical gift card last week and ended up returning some of the items, no DL required. I expect the ID requirement is for store merchandise credits but not gift cards.

rated:
Hmm, well - how do they know?
Here's what a typical receipt say, no matter which one is used:

"Swiped merch/gift card".

rated:
That doesn't mean the computer can show them more detail than that.

rated:
Did anyone figure out how to get your money back from raise for Lowes merchandise credit or how to get Lowes to honor it?

rated:
Has anyone tried calling Lowe's and saying that you lost your card, but you have the card number? Give them the number off the paper/eCard and ask them for a replacement card.

rated:
I purchased Lowes electronic 'gift card' from GiftCardSpread in November, and used it several times online and in store through Jan 7, leaving a positive balance. Recently tried online again and it failed, found this website and tried using it in store. Lowe's system shows the correct balance (I got a receipt) but won't accept for purchases or to transfer to 'real' merchandise card. So, Lowes has definitely stolen my money. Their online "support" confirms they do not intend to pay and blames the third party vendor who they claim should refund me. I emailed GiftCardSpread but haven't gotten a reply yet, interestingly it looks like they are STILL SELLING these Ecards but other vendors aren't. If they don't reply or refuse refund I will contact credit card company used to buy the card and request a chargeback to them (although it SHOULD be a chargeback to Lowes!) Personally I'm furious with Lowes and will go to the orange store first from now on. It seems to me denying payment of a balance they show in their system is illegal. I will attempt report to BBB. Here's what Lowes had to say -

Good Afternoon Mark,

Thank you for your reply. I apologize for the issue you have experienced.

As Lowe's, we did not personally sell this merchandise card. We do not sell merchandise gift cards to third parties.

The third party that you purchased it from is responsible for providing you with a refund or resolution. As I said in my previous e-mail, you will need to contact the seller of the card.

If the merchandise card had been provided to you from Lowe's, then we would be responsible.

I appreciate your business, and I hope you have a great day! Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any further questions or comments.

Thank you,

Sandra L.
Lowe's Corporate Customer Care

rated:
ivanivanix said:   Related data point: Lowe's started doing the same thing as Home Depot - requiring driver's licence for receipted items purchased with either physical gift cards or physical MRC Card. Assuming that they are also going to be using TRE as their watchdog, I'm going to adjust my buying habits accordingly. That is: buy with credit card / preloaded anonymous Amex/Visa/MC card, then re-bill on a GC later when the project is complete.

Also, when it's time to redeem my points for gift cards at Discover, I'm not going to be choosing Lowe's card any longer. Enough of that.

Any confirmation that Lowe's is using TRE? I understand why/what they do, but they do it in a horrible way that affects good customers as well (words coming from Home Depot management). HD has sub-contractors that do your installations that can't do returns, even though the work is for HD (manger of course gets them taken care of, but you see the joke in that)

rated:
Yes, called in and got the same answer after my Egiftcard not working both online and in-store. Could check balance on 1/9, but couldn't pay. Store customer service didn't even know about this policy. Later, no longer be able to check balance at all. No responsibility or obligation about Egiftcard. Lowe's IS STEALING people's money. I still have $47 on my purchased Egiftcard.
Bad Reputation and Stealing Lowe's 

DG

rated:
I've contacted a law firm to see about filing a class action lawsuit. In my case I purchased my "e-giftcard" and received merchandise credit from Raise.com They misrepresented it as a giftcard when in fact was merchandise credit. Raise is not refunding or cares about the situation since its pass the 100 day BS policy they have. They lied about selling me a giftcard....and that is something they dont seem to understand. If you are interested in being part of this let me know.

Elizabeth

rated:
Can you post the email to the corporate customer service? May be we can all email.

rated:
misselizabethtorres said:   I've contacted a law firm to see about filing a class action lawsuit. In my case I purchased my "e-giftcard" and received merchandise credit from Raise.com They misrepresented it as a giftcard when in fact was merchandise credit. Raise is not refunding or cares about the situation since its pass the 100 day BS policy they have. They lied about selling me a giftcard....and that is something they dont seem to understand. If you are interested in being part of this let me know.

Elizabeth

I just got 2 "physical" cards from Raise (not e-gifts).  They were advertised as gift cards and turned out to be merch credits however their (Raise's) website clearly states for IN STORE USE ONLY so I have no gripe there.  The item I want from Lowes isn't available in store but only online. I assume I cannot buy a Lowes gift card with a merch credit but can you order online items in-store and use these merch credits?

rated:
MeIsCheap said:   
ivanivanix said:   Related data point: Lowe's started doing the same thing as Home Depot - requiring driver's licence for receipted items purchased with either physical gift cards or physical MRC Card. Assuming that they are also going to be using TRE as their watchdog, I'm going to adjust my buying habits accordingly. That is: buy with credit card / preloaded anonymous Amex/Visa/MC card, then re-bill on a GC later when the project is complete.

Also, when it's time to redeem my points for gift cards at Discover, I'm not going to be choosing Lowe's card any longer. Enough of that.

Any confirmation that Lowe's is using TRE? I understand why/what they do, but they do it in a horrible way that affects good customers as well (words coming from Home Depot management). HD has sub-contractors that do your installations that can't do returns, even though the work is for HD (manger of course gets them taken care of, but you see the joke in that)

Yes, they use TRE, but their limits are much less stingy than HD. Also, ivanivanix is incorrect, they do not require DL to return items purchased with a gift card (not sure about merchandise credit).

rated:
~~The exact same thing happened to me. When I requested a "refund" after explaining to them the "fraud" they are committing, they said they would review my orders and see if they could find it. I received an email that said they tried to find it but couldn't and perhaps I should try to locate the order. I am convinced they removed it from my list of orders. This is frustrating, illegal if you ask me and they continue to do this as must be the case if they have scammed you as well.
I'm so sorry to see this has happened to another person. Please keep posting information about this. We need to put an end to their scam.  This is illegal on so many levels.
Sincerely, red6674

rated:
dougtr said:   
gd78 said:   
Merchandise credit isn't just something you get for making a return without a receipt.  If you buy something with a gift card and return it with a receipt or they cancel your online pick-up in store order, you Lowe's has always given your money back as a merchandise credit.

Essentially I can order something online with a gift card, and the store cancels the order because they don't have it, and I'm stuck with a merchandise credit that I can no longer use online. There is nothing in their terms and conditions that remotely suggests that refunds with a receipt or store cancellations will be refunded in funny money that is more restricted than the gift card you originally paid with.

I edited my post to reflect I meant that anyone with a paper or e-card voucher from Cardcash, Raise, Cardpool or other place should contact those companies directly to get a physical card mailed to them to use inside a Lowes store.  I am sure this policy change will upset many customers of Lowes and the card resellers.  I know that Raise and Cardcash are only selling physical cards now and no e-cards have been issued since they received notice of Lowe's policy change.

As of today RAISE.COM has MANY Lowe's E-gifts listed.

Skipping 51 Messages...
rated:
forbin4040 said:   In your specific case only, I would recommend writing to Lowes and getting those turned into G/Cs.

Wasted approximately 20 hours (literally) working with them to change back this "merchandise" card back to the gift card I bought (directly from their legit sales channel). Lowes has lost a customer for lifeb(once I finally spend this out). I'd rather steal from this frikkin' company than give them another dime of my money after what they've put me through.

If Lowes believes Staples/GiftCardMall is selling illegitimate gift cards then Lowes should take it up with them rather than screw their own customers.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017