• Text Only
rated:

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Ask your local politicians to upgrade consumer protection laws so this JACKING THE PRICE tactic at liquidations (I alway... (more)

billetera (May. 31, 2016 @ 12:40p) |

Jacking up prices are illegal in PR? This doesn't sound right.

Profiteering when supplies are low is illegal, but raisin... (more)

forbin4040 (May. 31, 2016 @ 4:43p) |

gd78 (Jun. 01, 2016 @ 5:21p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I finally ventured there after the Broncos won the Super Bowl to get a tshirt as they were one of the first to get them in.

Otherwise have not shopped there in years (same goes to Dicks and other sports specialty stores)

They will all go the way of book stores. Don't really need them. WalMart/Target and smaller mall "sports" retailers pick up the slack and the rest just order online anyways.

I walked into a Sports Authority store a couple of years after they opened in a highly visible corner of an upscale mall. Their store replaced the previous Borders' Bookstore. I have seen their ads but was basically uninspired by their prices. The physical store had a lot of merchandise but not enough customers. Their rent is pricey so it was only a matter of time when they would close. There are other sports stores like Big 5 which also is slow. Target looks a bit weak as well.

Agree with DenverDiver that sports items get swallowed up by the bigger box stores selling everything, making it the one stop shop, or online.

This is the natural progression of retail and eventual loss of retail jobs. I can't see how any politician can promise to "bring back" or "create more jobs for the poor" when you have large sectors like retail stores, physical banks, pharmacies, etc. evolving at a much faster rate.

I just almost (31 cents left) used up the last of my gift cards I got for 40% off on a clearance shirt yesterday. Practically the only customer there, but lots of clearance stuff. Based on that, and knowing about the impending bankruptcy, which is why I was using up the gift card, I asked an employee if the store is closing. He said yes, and lots of even cheaper clearance stuff coming soon.  

Dang I just was in there earlier this week and signed up for their shoppers club thing and received my $5 discount coupon for doing so. Better get back in and spend it.

theres that roaring economy rearing its ugly head yet again.

Lots of Dicks.....

Better use my $30 GC soon

Don't mean to thread cap or anything but just want to throw this out there. Dicks bought up Chicks Sporting Goods about a decade ago. Some Chicks Sporting Goods stores survived the change of ownership and renamed to Dicks, some closed for good. Dicks Sporting Goods stores are huge and have good selections but pricy. I just don't see how such stores can survive long with high rent plus other expenses including labor cost?

By the way, those Chicks stores that got renamed to Dicks, would that make them "Chicks with Dicks"?

Cheers,

I find Sports Authority to have pricey products, few customers in the store, and extremely poor in-store selection.
I went there a couple weeks ago looking for some convertible hiking pants (legs unzip into shorts). Forget manufacturer/style/size variations. They literally had TWO pair in the whole store @ $60 each. Went to REI, found out which ones I liked and which fit, ordered online for $33 each (and 5% CB on REI Visa).

" I can't see how any politician can promise to "bring back" or "create more jobs for the poor" when you have large sectors like retail stores, physical banks, pharmacies, etc. evolving at a much faster rate."

Actually retail stores DOESN'T REALLY CREATE ANY NEW JOBS (those are usually taken from somewhere else). Those are created by FACTORIES that "makes (any) stuff" (even food).

"My neck of the woods" (the Caribbean actually...) largest mall made a building (with additional parking space for the mall) just for Sports Authority about a year ago in a former gas station space. Now I wonder how the mall's (locally-owned) management will take this?  Oops...   

Our local Sports Authority closed about a year ago. It survived less than a year after Academy opened across the street, and REI opened a few miles away.
I always found them to be much higher priced than any competitor.

Private Equity vampires loaded it with debt, sucked it dry of cash, and walk away with a profit.

America

Leonard Green & Partners,
L.P., Kmart Corporation (NYSE: KM) and Hechinger Company Also went belly up

Leonard Green & Partners,
L.P., Kmart Corporation (NYSE: KM) and Hechinger Company Also went belly up

jomarrod said:   Lots of Dicks.....

Better use my $30 GC soon

I used mine yesterday.  The sooner the better.

They're going to have to rename Mile High stadium again.

How to cash out my gift card? In best buy, I can cash out gift card by buying Amazon gift card. Is there similar way for Sports Authority?

TheDealMaker said:   How to cash out my gift card? In best buy, I can cash out gift card by buying Amazon gift card. Is there similar way for Sports Authority
  Just go buy something at the store.

Not surprising, overpriced even with coupons, I would use them to look at an item and then order cheaper online. I love all the ignorant fools here and on facebook blaming B&M closures on the economy. Please do a little research before you make such uninformed comments. There are a lot of reason why some B&M stores are closing and there are a lot of factors at work.

They gave me "merchant credit" when I returned something, it's similar to gift card but with the words merchant credit on it. Will those be working after bankruptcy?

TheDealMaker said:   They gave me "merchant credit" when I returned something, it's similar to gift card but with the words merchant credit on it. Will those be working after bankruptcy?
  Of course not since there will be no stores left...

Richardito said:   
TheDealMaker said:   They gave me "merchant credit" when I returned something, it's similar to gift card but with the words merchant credit on it. Will those be working after bankruptcy?
  Of course not since there will be no stores left...

Wow, the Sports Authority is completely liquidating and closing all stores?  Please provide us with more information about this, because everything I read stated the company intends to file chapter for Chapter 11 reorganization while closing at least a third of it's stores.  If you have inside information that the now intend to file for Chapter 7, or whatever, for complete liquidation, and therefore close all stores, tell us more or provide a link, because I find nothing about this on the internet.

ctujackbauer said:   They're going to have to rename Mile High stadium again.
  Locals here never called it Sports Authority Field. Has always and will always be Mile High no matter what is plastered on front of stadium.

ARMAGA said:   Don't mean to thread cap or anything but just want to throw this out there. Dicks bought up Chicks Sporting Goods about a decade ago. Some Chicks Sporting Goods stores survived the change of ownership and renamed to Dicks, some closed for good. Dicks Sporting Goods stores are huge and have good selections but pricy. I just don't see how such stores can survive long with high rent plus other expenses including labor cost?

By the way, those Chicks stores that got renamed to Dicks, would that make them "Chicks with Dicks"?

Cheers,

No, since Dicks was the acquiring company, that would make them Dicks moving in Chicks

'The wall street journal  reported that Sports Authority will need to close the rest of its stores if it can’t find a buyer to put more money into the business by the end of April, citing unnamed sources.'

redbearbot said:   theres that roaring economy rearing its ugly head yet again.

Just because a store is going bankrupt doesn't prove or disprove whether the economy is roaring.  If someone does it better, faster or cheaper, the inefficient will not survive.  The article noted the retail economy was booming  ("even as the retail industry has experienced a boom in fitness apparel"),  just people were going elsewhere for their Umbros.

Sports Authority store closure list: Sales to begin
Disclaimer
COMPLETE LIST OF STORE CLOSURES BY STATE (scroll down at link)

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2016/03/03/sports-authority-...

Eep my store is staying open. No deals for me.

Mine is on the list. Located in the same place as a failed MC Sports, which is where a Play-It-Again store also failed. Seems a small-scale sports boutique just isn't a good idea.

forbin4040 said:   Eep my store is staying open. No deals for me.

None here, either.

Liquidation sales beginning as early as today (Friday).  Anyone made it in to see what deals are being offered?

dcwilbur said:   Liquidation sales beginning as early as today (Friday).  Anyone made it in to see what deals are being offered?
Just got an email that says, "TAKE AN ADDITIONAL 5-30% OFF ENTIRE STORE."  I stopped by and picked up a very few items of clothing that were on the clearance racks.  Most name brand items are 10% off.  Clearance items are 20% off the already reduced prices, and a very small selection of items are 30% off.  Mostly clothing - it seemed like a lot of the stuff that would be in cartons was already out of the store, probably shipped to other locations.

As usual with those liquidating stores, YOU SHOULD'VE BOUGHT JUST BEFORE THE LIQUIDATION (probably up to last Thursday, depending on location). I've seen so many cases where the liquidator JACK UP REGULAR PRICES to GIVE THE VALUE IMPRESSION that I may sound like "a broken record"...

BTW, in "my neck of the woods" ALL 3 STORES will close, including the one in Plaza Las Américas I've mentioned in a previous comment (the one with a "shame smiley"). I hope the Fonalledas family (the mall's local owners) learns their lesson and don't run to finance the next American chain that brings some "moolah" before exploring its' future closely (DDR did the same thing with Anna's Linens on most of their Islandwide stores and the retailer "went under" before 2 years...).

billetera said:   As usual with those liquidating stores, YOU SHOULD'VE BOUGHT JUST BEFORE THE LIQUIDATION (probably up to last Thursday, depending on location). I've seen so many cases where the liquidator JACK UP REGULAR PRICES to GIVE THE VALUE IMPRESSION that I may sound like "a broken record"...

BTW, in "my neck of the woods" ALL 3 STORES will close, including the one in Plaza Las Américas I've mentioned in a previous comment (the one with a "shame smiley"). I hope the Fonalledas family (the mall's local owners) learns their lesson and don't run to finance the next American chain that brings some "moolah" before exploring its' future closely (DDR did the same thing with Anna's Linens on most of their Islandwide stores and the retailer "went under" before 2 years...).

As I said, I was in the store near me yesterday.  Prices were not marked up - just regular prices - so 10% or 20% off was no great bargain.

As an aside, I thought you might enjoy this blog...www.unnecessaryquotes.com 

How about Mile High Dick's stadium?

qcumber98 said:   
  How about Mile High Dick's stadium?

I like the sound of that!

Treefarn said:   
redbearbot said:   theres that roaring economy rearing its ugly head yet again.

Just because a store is going bankrupt doesn't prove or disprove whether the economy is roaring.  If someone does it better, faster or cheaper, the inefficient will not survive.  The article noted the retail economy was booming  ("even as the retail industry has experienced a boom in fitness apparel"),  just people were going elsewhere for their Umbros.

An article in today's WSJ  takes a slant towards Americans w less active lifestyles, providing statistics, etc.

I wonder if places like goodwill, play-it-again sports, and craigslist have more than a negligible impact on their business and how one would go about measuring this. Expand on this beyond sporting goods and the survivalist concept of planned obsolescence, and perhaps we've got some leads on the retail market trends here.

Btw, if the link doesn't work for you, don't worry. It wasn't a great article anyway. 

Skipping 8 Messages...
forbin4040 said:   Jacking up prices are illegal in PR? This doesn't sound right.

Profiteering when supplies are low is illegal, but raising prices and telling people it's a sale? That's how JC Penney stays in business.

http://time.com/money/3890762/jc-penney-lawsuit-deceptive-pricin...

JC Penney's been sued for it.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016