• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I received a mailer for the Los Angeles Times newspaper subscription, Thus. & Sun. delivery, 52 weeks for $9.88.  So far, so good.

Gotcha #1: When I tried to subscribe online and entered the promo code 3130 (given on the flyer), the website said that this is for Sunday only delivery.  I then tried calling 800-326-5500, and they said that due to "technical difficulties", the website does not recognize the promo code correctly, but that they will honor the offer on the phone.

Gotcha #2: Toward the end of the signup process, they mentioned that throughout the year, there will be up to 6 "premium" issues that will cost $2.99 additional, and that I cannot opt out of the premium issues.  The price will be added to my bill, or my subscription will be shortened.  If you paid by credit card, instead of the expected $9.88, you're probably going to see 6 additional $2.99 charges, so your "$9.88" subscription has now ballooned into $27.82!  Otherwise, if you chose to pay by check, each time a premium issue comes out, your subscription will be shortened by about 16 weeks per premium issue ($2.99 / 0.19).  After just 3 premium issues, your 52 week subscription effectively will be shortened to only 4 weeks!  (I know, it depends on timing, how many weeks you've already received when a premium issue comes out, etc, but you get the idea).

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

1) I bet that code was expired
2) They didn't give you a gotcha, they gave you a bait and switch.

Post a picture of the promo?

LA Times Promo Offer
Disclaimer
forbin4040 said:   1) I bet that code was expired
2) They didn't give you a gotcha, they gave you a bait and switch.

Post a picture of the promo?

That code is supposedly good until June 15, 2016, more than 1 month to go.  Scan of the promo offer is attached.

voyager2 said:   I received a mailer for the Los Angeles Times newspaper subscription, Thus. & Sun. delivery, 52 weeks for $9.88.  So far, so good.

Gotcha #1: When I tried to subscribe online and entered the promo code 3130 (given on the flyer), the website said that this is for Sunday only delivery.  I then tried calling 800-326-5500, and they said that due to "technical difficulties", the website does not recognize the promo code correctly, but that they will honor the offer on the phone.

Gotcha #2: Toward the end of the signup process, they mentioned that throughout the year, there will be up to 6 "premium" issues that will cost $2.99 additional, and that I cannot opt out of the premium issues.  The price will be added to my bill, or my subscription will be shortened.  If you paid by credit card, instead of the expected $9.88, you're probably going to see 6 additional $2.99 charges, so your "$9.88" subscription has now ballooned into $27.82!  Otherwise, if you chose to pay by check, each time a premium issue comes out, your subscription will be shortened by about 16 weeks per premium issue ($2.99 / 0.19).  After just 3 premium issues, your 52 week subscription effectively will be shortened to only 4 weeks!  (I know, it depends on timing, how many weeks you've already received when a premium issue comes out, etc, but you get the idea).

Many yrs ago I was a contractor for a major daily and the LAT became the parent Co.  Even tho my paper had been in business for close to 100yrs and was #1 in our area and #1 or #2 in our state, the LAT treated us like an unwanted step-child.  When they decided to sell my paper, we were a far #2 in our area and way down the list in state.  At one time subscribers/advertisers were king.  Since quite a few major papers were caught in a padding subscriptions/sales scandal in ~2005 (including our local competitor that eventually bought my paper and closed it immediately) most have had to pay back what little they admitted to .  That just leaves subscribers to help make up the difference.  My point is:  Considering the state of printed media, especially newspaper, everyone who subscribes to a newspaper would be wise to read their contracts very carefully.   For instance, I was a monthly subscriber for many years when I noticed that I was being charged my normal monthly rate, but at an earlier date each month.  When challenged the explanation was that they no longer offered monthly rates, but instead 4 week rates, which gave them 13 payments per yr instaed of 12. 

In my area Dollar Tree sells complete Sun. editions for $1.

interesting, maybe get OC Register instead? LivingSocial has a special

FMB1 said:   
voyager2 said:   I received a mailer for the Los Angeles Times newspaper subscription, Thus. & Sun. delivery, 52 weeks for $9.88.  So far, so good.

Many yrs ago I was a contractor for a major daily and the LAT became the parent Co.  Even tho my paper had been in business for close to 100yrs and was #1 in our area and #1 or #2 in our state, the LAT treated us like an unwanted step-child.  When they decided to sell my paper, we were a far #2 in our area and way down the list in state.  At one time subscribers/advertisers were king.  Since quite a few major papers were caught in a padding subscriptions/sales scandal in ~2005 (including our local competitor that eventually bought my paper and closed it immediately) most have had to pay back what little they admitted to .  That just leaves subscribers to help make up the difference.  My point is:  Considering the state of printed media, especially newspaper, everyone who subscribes to a newspaper would be wise to read their contracts very carefully.   For instance, I was a monthly subscriber for many years when I noticed that I was being charged my normal monthly rate, but at an earlier date each month.  When challenged the explanation was that they no longer offered monthly rates, but instead 4 week rates, which gave them 13 payments per yr instaed of 12. 

Ah, the good ol' Herald Examiner with its green paper front page.

The San Francisco Chronicle has similar tactics.  I subscribe to the Sunday only paper. "Premium" or special holiday (three day weekend) editions will shorten the subscription period.  But I can't tell when an edition is "premium" and I NEVER receive the special holiday editions. 

I used to subscribe to the daily San Mateo paper.  They would often shorten my subscription by months without any explanation.  Sometimes they would deliver the wrong paper (Wall Street Journal, Chinese language, etc...) or even a day old paper.  I would call and complain but I never got credit for missing/wrong papers.

I don't trust newspaper subscriptions.  Such shady practices.

sloppy1 said:   
FMB1 said:   

Ah, the good ol' Herald Examiner with its green paper front page.

Nope, different State.

Wait a minute... You're talking about Tribune, the owner of the Chicago Tribune (where they've started), the (Long Island, NY) Newsday and the Orlando Sentinel, among others, who's already in the process of being bought by Atlanta's Gannett (USA Today, Atlanta Journal-Constitution...).

As you can see, that's the process of consolidation print newspapers are going into... Where do print subscribers stand, and more importantly, what is Gannett's MO on complying with subscription offers (which is the reason of this thread)?

I only use prepaid CC for my subs..

I just got my renewal postcard for my Chicago Trib subscription, and the same kind of situation with "Premium" issues is mentioned. I was trying to figure out a way to avoid getting dinged by the premium issues and decide to put vacation holds during the periods of known premium issues. Seems like that should prevent it. I'll know after the first known occurrence on 9/18.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016