T Mobile free 200MB data

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Text Only
rated:
OK, I took this free 200MB data deal for my tablet.   But I'm worried there is a catch.  Does anyone have this free 200MB data plan for their tablet?  Any catch?

Addendum:  I did learn that when you hit 200MB of data used the access stops without billing you for additional data unless you request to go beyond the 200MB you have already used.  That is a nice feature so you don't get a surprise data bill.  Nice offer T Mobile without a sneaky billing feature since you can't go over 200MB of data without your permission to be billed extra for it. 

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-get-a-free-data-plan-for-your-... 

Member Summary

T-Mobile
Thanks Virgil27
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
I tried to get this last year but it did not work with my Xperia Z2. Tried again last weekend and it worked right away.... (more)

View (Jun. 22, 2016 @ 12:30p) |

I have an verizon version of ipad air I bought from WalMart by paying full price. Will this work on my tablet?

bluemonster (Jul. 28, 2016 @ 9:54p) |

It likely depends on which iPad model you bought (iPad Air, iPad Mini, etc.). Likely it will work (assuming the device i... (more)

mogelijk (Jul. 29, 2016 @ 10:51a) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

They've had this for 2 years now or something like that. I don't have it anymore b/c service in my area isn't good, but TMo isn't out to screw you. Enjoy the free data.

No catch. I have had it for over two years on an iPad and get this renewal e-mail every month.

Dear Customer,

Your new free Mobile Internet data is now active on device #xxxxx02274, and you can enjoy up to 200 MB of high speed data for use until 07/07/2016. To manage your account or purchase additional high speed data, http://t-mobile.com/connectme.

Sincerely,

T-Mobile Customer Service

I have on an iPad and it has been nice. 4 months at zero cost. Very useful for me.

And if you need a new 3-in-1 SIM for your tablet use code SIMDEAL to get it for $3.99.

Over a year here, no problems. It doesn't cost them all that much, they hope you'll end up wanting more and pay them.

can i use this over a phone locked to MetroPCS?

T-Mobile doesn't charge anything extra for hotspot. I have my tablet hot-spotting to my phone - this way, no real data limits. Would be a problem if I didn't have my phone on me but that is rare.

Check the cellular provider plans section on your tablet. Twice now T-Mobile has offered 5GB full speed LTE data good for 5 months for $10 (total price for 5 months NOT per month). When my first 5 months expired last month I got the same offer again. This was on my iPad Mini 4. It's in the cellular plan section. Not sure if other type tablets get it as well. The free 200MB is also added each month and used first before the 5 GIG bucket is touched.

Looks like "FREESIM" brings it down to $0. But it appears one can't just get the SIM without buying a plan (unless I'm reading it wrong).

EDIT: You know what, I think I wasn't on the prepaid T-Mobile site. It is $3.99 there and doesn't seem to require any plan.

Can I get this and use it in an I phone? When traveling in Europe?

pianomaster said:   Can I get this and use it in an I phone? When traveling in Europe?
  Tablets only.

Anyone know of a similar deal for Sprint branded tablet?

brusbrother said:   Anyone know of a similar deal for Sprint branded tablet?
  www.ringplus.net

I've had this for roughly 2 and a half years, on an iPad. There are no hidden "gotchas", just a free 200MB per month.

Good to know

Took a while to get my LG GPad v410 on the whitelist but after GPad was approved, no problems or gotchas for about two years now.

This offer came bundled with all the Nexus 7 LTE tablets so its been quite a while. I still have that sim, even though its no longer in the same device.

I've had this also for over 2 years on an HP Tablet that came with "lifetime data". It's only 200MB so you can burn through it quickly but with this, plus ringplus, plus Freedompop, I think I'm covered. Not bad for $200 initial outlay (that's hoping Freedompop and ringplus don't go out of business).

PrincipalMember said:   T-Mobile doesn't charge anything extra for hotspot. I have my tablet hot-spotting to my phone - this way, no real data limits. Would be a problem if I didn't have my phone on me but that is rare.
  Are you saying that the 200MB limit does not apply when you use it as a hot spot?

I got two sim cards from tmobile specifically for this 200MB free data: one nano, one micro. Both were purchased with promotion (cost me down to nothing) and activated using an ipad. For the micro one (at least after it's been activated using an ipad), I put it in a unlocked Asus smartphone.  I assume i can do the same for the nano one.  The cellphone could surf internet or check emails just fine, all without the phone function of course, as long as it's still under the 200MB limit.

Does anyone know if I can use the 200 free MB data in Toronto Canada? I can always pay $10 or $15 just to buy some data for a trip going there if possible. As long as I have data up there, I am happy. My family uses AT&T.

If you're a T-Mobile subscriber you can also get an "on-demand" data sim for your devices for free. It costs $10, but the credit the fee back to your account.

Be sure to activate it on a tablet first. Once it's been activated on a tablet you can move it to a phone for some low-usage data. I use an old iPhone in my car as a music library, and use the SIM to enable find-my-iphone (which turns into find-my-car).

200 megs. wow.

200MB per month is usually enough for me to surf fatwallet while sitting in the car waiting for my daughter to finish one of her activities, or to check my email while traveling.

Is there a list of compatible tablets that will accept the T-Mobile SIM card?

I've also had two of them for more than a year. One in a Nexus tablet and another in a Chromebook and it's perfect for a device that's mostly on WiFi but gives you a signal when you need. It's never cost me a penny. A great added benefit by T-Mobile.

hDoes it offer oversea roaming?

brusbrother said:   Anyone know of a similar deal for Sprint branded tablet?
  Freedompop international SIM.  Just make sure you read the fine print and cancel the extras services that are part of the free trial.  Also make sure you use Freedom friends so you can get additional free data.

I have never heard any bad experiences with the T-Mobile free 200 since they got the bugs worked out. In the very beginning some people were incorrectly charged but got refunds. That was when the program was brand spanking new. Since then it's just the typical issues you might hear with any service. Technical issues like trouble activating and coverage issues. This is the best no strings attached deal available anywhere. I don't use it simply because I have no compatible device but to anyone with a compatible tablet I would highly recommend it.

Many T-Mobile Reps have no clue such plan exists! Be very careful when you sign up over the phone. They messed up my grandfather plan last time when I tried to sign up.

Do you need a special SIM for data? I was on chat and the rep said a phone SIM wouldn't work, but on the graphics for the SIMs it looks like it says both. Anyone with experience on this?

I've had this for a while on my iPad and almost never use it to its limit until last week and we were in another state and looking at homes to buy. I was worried that I was going to go over my limit and try to buy the one week data plan but it wouldn't go through online or through the TMobile store for some reason. They said I'd have to call in to customer service.

I just kept checking my data and was OK with what I had left. When I got close to running out of data, I got a Popup that said - "you only have 10% of your data left". Or 20%, something like that. It warned me each time so I was never left guessing. I always worried about that. Of course they just wanted me to buy more minutes.

If only T-Mobile was better in my area!

can we use this plan for freebie Tues?

needhelpplease said:   can we use this plan for freebie Tues?
  If you can, it'd be awesome. One free share of stock for every SIM you activate. You could make millions...hmmm.

No, this plan does not qualify.

If you could turn on binge on with the 200MB free plan, you will be able to stream Youtube and Spotify for free and it doesn't count toward your data. Can any existing user confirm?

wtfu said:   If you could turn on binge on with the 200MB free plan, you will be able to stream Youtube and Spotify for free and it doesn't count toward your data. Can any existing user confirm?
  Binge On requires a 3GB data plan or higher, at least to not have video count against your data use. Music Freedom also does not work on the 200MB plan. You can get these features, including the T-Mobile Tuesday giveaways, if you subscribe to a data plan for your tablet (again, for Binge On, more than 3GB/month).

mannyv said:   
  If you can, it'd be awesome. One free share of stock for every SIM you activate. You could make millions...hmmm.

The stock is only for the primary account holder of a postpaid account, so the tablets do not qualify. 

Skipping 6 Messages...
bluemonster said:   I have an verizon version of ipad air I bought from WalMart by paying full price. Will this work on my tablet?
  It likely depends on which iPad model you bought (iPad Air, iPad Mini, etc.). Likely it will work (assuming the device is carrier unlocked, since you paid full price) though it may not have Band 12 LTE, depending on which model you purchased.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017