• filter:

FreedomPop no more free phone support

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Just found out that since July 1st there is no more free phone support from Freedompop.
Freedompop has long been popular here in the Hot Deals Forum.

I understand that they may have to do that to stay in business
and rather have them stay in business for a long time and cut expenses where they have to.

My multi-year personal experience with Freedompop with several devices has been great.
Just to keep in mind that getting help just got a bit more difficult.

Moderator Comment: This thread is mirrored to these forums: MOBILE, LAPTOPS, AND COMPUTERS, DEAL DISCUSSION. — Sep. 21, 2017 @ 4:12am
Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
i tried messaging them a few times online, and that has always been free and worked out great for me btw.

rated:
I bet i tried 10 diff times to sign up for their so called "free" service..everytime they said their was a monthly bill due....

rated:
tgersinthewhhouse said:   I bet i tried 10 diff times to sign up for their so called "free" service..everytime they said their was a monthly bill due....
  that's too bad. i  have 9 accounts with them with 5 active phone lines.  They been pretty good if you are in a good Sprint lte area.  

rated:
tgersinthewhhouse said:   I bet i tried 10 diff times to sign up for their so called "free" service..everytime they said their was a monthly bill due....
Firstly, when you sign up you agree to try other services and therefore have a bill due.  However, you're not committed and it's simple to drop those other services and you're left with the free service.  I guess you never dropped those other service every time you signed up and so ended up with a monthly bill.  I've signed up 4 times and are yet to see a monthly bill due and greatly enjoy their free service.  In fact we don't pay a penny in cell phone bills!

rated:
Russell_ said:   
Firstly, when you sign up you agree to try other services and therefore have a bill due.  However, you're not committed and it's simple to drop those other services and you're left with the free service.  I guess you never dropped those other service every time you signed up and so ended up with a monthly bill.  I've signed up 4 times and are yet to see a monthly bill due and greatly enjoy their free service.  In fact we don't pay a penny in cell phone bills!

Agreed,  Freedompop has always been fair with me.  I did keep a monthly plan for a little while but for the most part I use the free plans.  I was charged 1 time by accident which they fixed.  That was very early on when they were new.  I forgot to cancel a service(my fault) and I got charged for that but they refunded me anyway when I told them what happened. The other charges have all been for buying devices up front cost except 1 overage because I didn't watch my data.  I will admit the overage charge was very confusing because of the way the bill was broken down. I contacted customer service via email and it was explained.  To be honest i wont miss over the phone support because it was so slow.  Email support had about a day turn around time for me but at least I didn't have to sit on the phone forever.  I would recommend this service to anyone looking for budget service in a Sprint area and now with the Global SIM it may work well for those outside of Sprint covered areas.  I just wish they offered a device that could use the Sprint and Global SIM service at the same time.  That would be GREAT!

rated:
Russell_ said:   

Just to add...as soon as I received all my Freedompop devices (2 phones and a tablet) I immediately checked my account and, at least for the 2 newer devices which came with premium serviçes included for the first month, changed the services to the 200 minutes/500 texts/500 mb data, and turned off data top up, which for the tablet required me to put a $5 balance in my account to cover any future data overage (paid immediately via credit card), and never received a bill.  For the first phone, I checked the FW forum and Facebook page around at the time, and maybe around now, for Freedompop friends.  I added about 15 friends, as you get an additional 50 mb for each friend up to another 500 mb, and I have a buffer if some leave Freedompop.  When I got my newer phone and tablet, my friends from my first phone were automatically added, and I have over one gb of data on each of them.  

rated:
giqcass said:   
... To be honest i wont miss over the phone support because it was so slow.  Email support had about a day turn around time for me ...

Actually the phone support was quick and helpful for several months now.
It used to be just terrible in old times.

rated:
just recently signed up for Freedompop. but I'm unable to sign up on whatsapp; keep getting a message saying 'this is not a valid US Mobile number'. does anyone else have this same issue? how'd you fix it?

thx!

rated:
gyagya said:   just recently signed up for Freedompop. but I'm unable to sign up on whatsapp; keep getting a message saying 'this is not a valid US Mobile number'. does anyone else have this same issue? how'd you fix it?

thx!

Freedompop is a VOIP service.  The voice/phone goes over the data spectrum/intérnet, the same as the data, and the same as cable company/fios or Vonage, for example, go over the internet connection.  I've found that some apps, services, and even just places that require a "mobile phone number" for verification, like Bing Rewards, won't, or are set up to not accept VOIP phone services or phone numbers.  I don't remember if I tried whatsapp, but have tried other things that wouldn't work because of this.  My 2 1/2 years of Freedompop experience tells me that's why it isn't working, and isn't limited to Freedompop.

rated:
Looks like the end is near...

rated:
I give Freedompop mixed reviews. Their customer service has always had much to be desired with waits of an hour or more on the phone. I have never paid for it and got the value I didn't pay.
I learned the hard way that failure to use the service a couple of months gets shut down even if you are a paying customer. The problem was they kept charging my credit card after shutting me out of use of the service. Getting turned back on was a nightmare. In one case, I ended up purchasing a new unit in order to service back.
Now that I know of the policy, I make sure to use the service on each of my accounts for a few minutes each month. I still bank unused service to the point that when I do need to use it, it will be available as long as they keep their relationship with Sprint
------------------------
I failed to see a link or source of the OP information posted.

rated:
JW10 said:   
 ...  I failed to see a link or source of the OP information posted.

Just dial one of their support numbers and find out yourself, e.g.  1 (888) 743-8107 .

I'm surprised my post has not generated more attention as Freedompop 
has long been popular in the Hot Deals Forum

rated:
tgersinthewhhouse said:   Looks like the end is near...
  End is near??????????  Really???  Me thinks you are sarcastic.  Freedompop just expanded into like 25 new countries and have plans for more.  They have new partners and raised a buttload of cash.

rated:
Talki said:   
JW10 said:   
 ...  I failed to see a link or source of the OP information posted.

Just dial one of their support numbers and find out yourself, e.g.  1 (888) 743-8107 .

I'm surprised my post has not generated more attention as Freedompop 
has long been popular in the Hot Deals Forum

Yeah I used one of the numbers the other day.  It told me to press ..... well I can't remember but I had to push a button and then it forwarded me to recording that said phone support was gone.

rated:
They must be getting crushed by Ring +

rated:
We paid $19.99 for activation and cannot obtain support. Our phone is still not activated. It is a "bring your own device" smartphone. The online activation process seems to go normally but the phone still does not work. I suspect that when they say the activation is complete, what they really mean is that the account has merely been created. If we use the special pop dialer on my phone, we can make calls over wifi but we can never get a cellular data connection. The phone says that it is waiting to complete activation.

My husband has called freedom pop several times on the phone and waited hours at a time to speak to someone. When he finally reached someone, they say that they cannot help him and refer to the support portion of their website. This is not helpful as he has exhausted all of the suggestions on the website prior to calling them--network resets, complete resets of the phone, etc. He tried to contact them through email and have not heard anything helpful. The non-automatic reply received was that they saw that he had called previously called and presumed that matters were resolved and closed the ticket.

We do not know what we can do since we have merely 18 days left before we cannot dispute the charge on our credit card for an activation that we never received. We heard that others have been successful, but it has been a big headache to try to obtain freedom pop service. If anybody can give us any tips, we greatly appreciate it. We have a Sprint-enabled iphone 5c with a brand new Sprint sim card that we separately purchased.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017