Cell phone companies providing LG G pad Cheap - caution

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I placed this posting in Deal Discussion, because I am seeing several cell phone companies promoting the LG G pad as a give away or sell to you for only a few pennies trying to get you to use their service.
I have one.  I bought a big mini-SD chip added memory card insert for it.  The problem is a great majority of apps and things are not allowed to be stored it that memory that is not part of the main unit.
My recommendation is not to go for this tablet.  Shop for a tablet that lets you put most of your stuff (apps or data or photos) directly into the small memory chip --- not locked into the main memory tablet.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Google is your friend:

https://metactrl.com/docs/sdcard-on-lollipop/

Don't blame it on LG. Google (in their questionable wisdom) starting with KitKat made it much harder to write to an external microSD card. You did not specify what flavor Android is on the LG and I did not bother to look it up. There are apps on GooglePlay to fix KitKat and the link above will walk you thru the process for Lollipop. Maybe next time you should ask if anyone is familiar with the problem instead of going all paranoid and tossing blame around. And BTW, you're welcome.

I got the LG G pad on a promo and never had the problem on any of my other devices prior to this one. You could say I assumed certain android behaviors when I got it and that is correct. It does not matter if the problem is LG or Google Android versions. I am just advising other FWF to be more discriminating than I was. I simply failed to ask questions.

JW10 said:   I got the LG G pad on a promo and never had the problem on any of my other devices prior to this one. You could say I assumed certain android behaviors when I got it and that is correct. It does not matter if the problem is LG or Google Android versions. I am just advising other FWF to be more discriminating than I was. I simply failed to ask questions.

Well KitKat came out in 2013, so this is old news. And Lollipop (which I believe the G Pad has) came out about 1yr later. You really should ask about this in the FW Technology forum. And you might want to add some more info like what version of Android, what size microSD card, if it is larger than 32GB - if and how it is formatted.

FMB1 said:   Google is your friend:

https://metactrl.com/docs/sdcard-on-lollipop/

Don't blame it on LG. Google (in their questionable wisdom) starting with KitKat made it much harder to write to an external microSD card. You did not specify what flavor Android is on the LG and I did not bother to look it up. There are apps on GooglePlay to fix KitKat and the link above will walk you thru the process for Lollipop. Maybe next time you should ask if anyone is familiar with the problem instead of going all paranoid and tossing blame around. And BTW, you're welcome.

Actually, do blame it on LG, because it's LG that made the decision to use Google software that has the limitations.  After all, they could have developed their own OS without that limitation - yes, commercially that is delusional, but its still their decision.  And then, they made the decision not to include a lot of flash, saving a couple of bucks.  Also their decision.  Finally, they could have made the decision to apply the fixes you outline above.

So, they sold a sub-par product, and took the money.  So, LG should be accused.  Customer has no relationship with Google, but with LG.

As backstory, part of the reason why Google went that way was that vendors produced phones with small flash, and customers bought shoddy slow memory cards, which combined with the slower connection mini-SDs have, conspired to make Android phones slow.  So, very clearly, Google's answer may be that LG should have added more flash, based on the actions they did.  

While I"m tempted to let the customer off completely, I might be tempted to say "you get what you pay for".  However, to caution against fully embracing that line of reasoning, my family  bought two Samsung Galaxy S5 which were only available with 16GB Flash and after a few apps it, too, ran out of memory, and that was the top of the line.  While I have all sorts of problems with the gilded cage that is the Apple ecosystem, we're (almost) all back to iOS now.  We love "OK Google" _much_ better than Siri, but not enough to deal with the crap that Android phones put us through - like claiming 400GB of available storage, yet insufficient storage to install or upgrade an app.  I have a PhD in CS so I can imagine what's going on, but I've fixed/hacked too many routers, phones and otehr such to want to keep doing that.  In due course, Android will likely do to iOS what Windows did to MacOS, but until then, I'm not yet ready to use the moral equivalent of WfW (Windows for Workgroups, remember that?) as my phone OS.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017