Angie's List is now free to join

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I have no opinion since I've never used the site, but Angie's List is now free to join.

Link 

** edit to add, the Green Plan appears free anyway.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Do not even think of trying Angie's List. Take it from somebody who has been burned, the businesses listed at the top ch... (more)

mogambo (Jul. 31, 2016 @ 3:03a) |

I was member of AL a few years back when hiring home contractors. The way I used it was look up and come up with a list ... (more)

garycook (Jul. 31, 2016 @ 1:36p) |

Well, I'm sure some reviews are done by family and friends.  There's really no way to stop that.   The biggest issue tha... (more)

ZenNUTS (Aug. 01, 2016 @ 12:49p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Potentially a good deal in urban areas. Maybe more upscale areas.
I looked through almost all categories, and didn't find a single business within the 10-mile range. Only a few within 25 miles. Yet I know that many businesses exist in this area. Looks like the percentage of businesses participating is fairly low.

An acknowledgement of a failed business model. Went public at $13. Today closed at $6.87. Lost money every year except 2015 which was small. Only a little over 3 million members and just over 50,000 contractors. CEO resigned in September and IAC made a too high offer which Angie's List refused (oops).

avoid - avoid - avoid at all cost

After using it a couple of times, I realized it is just a marketing machine. I would not even use it free, you still pay for it at the end. Most companies on the top of the "List" will probably do a good job, but will charge you ridiculous prices because they have huge marketing and promotion budget that goes to pay companies like "Angie's List".

angieslist is about a crooked as a politician, used it 2 times, never again, theres a reason why its free ppl realized now its just a paid scam

I used a paving contractor that was an Angie's List Award Winner. They tried to screw me over. Angie's List didn't nothing to help me. After winning in Small Claims Court, I got my money back without Angie's List assistance. I wouldn't use Angie's List even if they were paying me.

I own a rental apartment building (7 units) in Hudson county, NJ, and I often need handymen, contractors. If you need general contractor, talk to local hardware store. You'll find better values and reputable ones. The best general contractors I've hired barely market, they get jobs mostly by words of mouth. The more specific contractors such as fire escape, electricians, plumbing can be achieved by yellow page and/or google.

I've looked at Angie's List, but I couldn't see the value it brings.

Nothing but a scam and a ripoff, I used them once after I paid to join about 5 years ago and  picked a contractor that was A listed to do some work on a rental property and got the worst crappiest job that was never completed and ended costing me over $5000 in wasted money and my time. I canceled my membership and never used them again.

JimboBriggs said:   I used a paving contractor that was an Angie's List Award Winner. They tried to screw me over. Angie's List didn't nothing to help me. After winning in Small Claims Court, I got my money back without Angie's List assistance. I wouldn't use Angie's List even if they were paying me.

It took Angie years to find a good Dentist

Guess maybe I was lucky?

Used it to find their 4 top rated contractors for a particular job, then researched those 4 on my own. The job was done right, for the price promised.

I don't think that Angie's List is perfect, but it's better then just random names from the phone book, internet, or craigslist.

canoeguy1 said:   Potentially a good deal in urban areas. Maybe more upscale areas.
I looked through almost all categories, and didn't find a single business within the 10-mile range. Only a few within 25 miles. Yet I know that many businesses exist in this area. Looks like the percentage of businesses participating is fairly low.

That's because ANGI extorts "advertising" fee from the small biz owners to place them on top of the SCAM list and remove BAD reviews.

EradicateSpam said:   An acknowledgement of a failed business model. Went public at $13. Today closed at $6.87. Lost money every year except 2015 which was small. Only a little over 3 million members and just over 50,000 contractors. CEO resigned in September and IAC made a too high offer which Angie's List refused (oops).
   Well stated.

Shorted ANGI from $6.5 to its run to $10 and could have lost money but the fools at ANGI refused to accept the 2 sweetened offers from IAC.  The management and their egos got on the way including the joker CEO they brought in before the IAC offer (guess he wanted to keep his new job or something with and he was NOT the CEO material but then again who in the right mind would accept CEO job at ANGI unless over their head or got fired?).

I'm debating as to close some short positions or ride this POS down to $4 then to ZERO.

Original business model: customers pay to get a list of contractors who paid to be on the list

Still they didn't make any money...

Thanks for confirming my low opinion of Angie's List. I took the bait once, and when i moved to another city they told me I needed to pay again! I get sooo pissed off every time i see one of those commercials!
For somethings, e.g. fence work, I use Yelp and haven't been burned.

BPH789 said:   EradicateSpam said:   An acknowledgement of a failed business model. Went public at $13. Today closed at $6.87. Lost money every year except 2015 which was small. Only a little over 3 million members and just over 50,000 contractors. CEO resigned in September and IAC made a too high offer which Angie's List refused (oops).
   Well stated.

Shorted ANGI from $6.5 to its run to $10 and could have lost money but the fools at ANGI refused to accept the 2 sweetened offers from IAC.  The management and their egos got on the way including the joker CEO they brought in before the IAC offer (guess he wanted to keep his new job or something with and he was NOT the CEO material but then again who in the right mind would accept CEO job at ANGI unless over their head or got fired?).

I'm debating as to close some short positions or ride this POS down to $4 then to ZERO.

My advice, if possible switch to a put spread. That way you we not get your head ripped off if for some reason someone makes another offer to aquire.

BPH789 said:   
canoeguy1 said:   Potentially a good deal in urban areas. Maybe more upscale areas.

That's because ANGI extorts "advertising" fee from the small biz owners to place them on top of the SCAM list and remove BAD reviews.

Same with the "well-regarded" BBB

I had a Angie's List membership and I wouldn't rejoin even for free. The contractors were consistently REALLY expensive, way more expensive than those I found other ways. One roofing contractor who was already on site and on my roof wanted $370 for an additional 10 minutes of work blowing a bit of tree debris off the roof.

Worse were AL's "Specials." They would advertise special deals that required you to pay them directly. I was interested in one of the deals and took the time to read the fine print. Bottom line, Angie's List collected the money but made absolutely no assurances as to the quality of the work, the time frame for completion, in fact there was no guarantee there would be work done.  They also provided no procedure to handle contractor problems. When I called them and pressed them for details they basically told me that I just needed to trust them.

Angie's List is not company I would deal with again.

Angie's List is a big heap of shyyyyte. Would you pick up a big heap of shyyyyte just because it's free? 

Maybe. If i was looking for some composting material.

I'd rather use Craigslist.  Have actually found some good people to do work on there.  Best is word of mouth from friends and neighbors.

We use NEXTDOOR.com for people around us to recommend people, as for Angie's List everytime I got suckered into using them again or free, or whatever they always find a way to drop the soap in front of you, so even if they offer this for free, I am guessing they have some hidden bar of soap waiting on you.. - PASS

I had a great experience with finding a roofing contractor. I used Angies List to get 4 quotations and the prices ranged from $22K down to $14K with two in the high range and two in the low range. The two lower ones were Amish businesses and I learned from Angies List that the one I eventually selected had done two houses in my neighborhood. The neighbors were delighted with the pricing and workmanship. And that was my experience as well. They did a great job on the roof, skylights and flashing. They added new roof vents and plugged up the gable vents as well. I was so impressed with their work, that I also used them to do some replacement cedar siding on the east side of the house.

So bottom line, under certain circumstances, you can find some great contractors that you wouldn't find from your hardware store, big box store or phonebook. These guys were located pretty far away so they were off my radar screen. Give em a chance...you never know what you might find. It couldn't hurt.

troubador said:   ....They added new roof vents and plugged up the gable vents as well....

Plugged up the gable vents?  Those shouldn't be plugged up, they are important to a long lasting roof.  The attic space must be able to vent or you'll get mold in your attic among many other roof problems.

I hope you meant they sealed the vent, not that they plugged it up.

I think they're doing this because they need a lot more reviews and reviews of more companies.

coffeemonkey100 said:   
troubador said:   ....They added new roof vents and plugged up the gable vents as well....

Plugged up the gable vents?  Those shouldn't be plugged up, they are important to a long lasting roof.  The attic space must be able to vent or you'll get mold in your attic among many other roof problems.

I hope you meant they sealed the vent, not that they plugged it up.

Gable vents are supposed to be plugged up/covered over when roof venting is installed, to prevent the gable vents from short circuiting the air flow and preventing as much air from entering from the soffit vents.    

OTOH adding roof vents, even a powered fan or ridge vent, probably doesn't help when the attic is already heavily insulated.  Venting is still very important, but to prevent moisture build-up.

Another change on Angie's List -

They now send out weekly spam ("updates") that you CANNOT opt-out of (seriously). You also can't change your email address without calling them.

I think their new business model is selling our information.

Also be aware they have had issues (lawsuits) about their "auto-renewing". I signed up for it several years ago at less than $20 and they auto-renewed me a year later at $59.99. I did some research on the issues they have had with this...called them and mentioned so...they cancelled immediately without further problem.

Just curious: how much trust should I have in the reviews? Are many of the reviews "fake"?

Most people think of Yelp for restaurant reviews but I use them to find contractor services as well.  Angie's List couldn't compete as a paid subscription service so why would going to free make any difference?

Do not even think of trying Angie's List. Take it from somebody who has been burned, the businesses listed at the top charge you outrageous prices, which could be 2-3 X what others will charge. With google reviews and Yelp, why would you even consider Angie's List which relies on money from businesses to keep their lights on.
There is a reason it is now free, they were not able to find enough suckers to take on the exorbitantly priced businesses.

I was member of AL a few years back when hiring home contractors. The way I used it was look up and come up with a list from all other resources and remove the one with bad reviews in LA. The top ones are unlikely really good, but the bottom ones must be bad.

PeteFC said:   Just curious: how much trust should I have in the reviews? Are many of the reviews "fake"?
  Well, I'm sure some reviews are done by family and friends.  There's really no way to stop that.   The biggest issue that I experienced along with a lot of other people is that they blocked bad reviews.

I wrote a review on this now defunct outfit and their reply is, well, you didn't actually do business with them.  W T F?  Even BBB allows one to report selling practice.  Our state AG slapped them and they were out of business a year later.

http://www.atg.wa.gov/news/news-releases/window-maker-cleans-cla...

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017