2016 Nissan Versa Question

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Text Only
rated:
My old car is giving me trouble. I plan to buy the cheapest available Japanese car but a new one. My preliminary research led to 2016 Nissan Versa. I wonder if this is a right car since I haven't been following autos for many years.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I just bought a 20 year old Accord.

skansiewicz (Jul. 21, 2016 @ 10:53a) |

Consider a used car or something other than the Versa.
The low cost new cars really aren't worth it given the large numb... (more)

cagedancingchemist (Aug. 08, 2016 @ 7:09p) |

I bought my Scion xD (has a corolla engine) in November 2008 (Black Friday!)
Still runs great.. 105k miles later..

KayK (Aug. 26, 2016 @ 9:57a) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Yes.

I'd buy a Honda Fit instead, much more reliable.  Nissan quality is really hit or miss, and the Versa is average reliability at absolute best.

bsp8181 said:   I'd buy a Honda Fit instead, much more reliable.  Nissan quality is really hit or miss, and the Versa is average reliability at absolute best.
  I would also second this. Not sure if price is your only consideration, but if you need room to transport things, the Fit has a crazy amount of cargo space for the size of vehicle it is. The "magic" folding seats or whatever Honda calls them now really is easy to use and surely helps increase the available cargo space. 

I followed up on some reviews here http://www.kbb.com/honda/fit/2016/lx-consumer_reviews/?vehicleid... where Honda Fit has great reviews (and Nissan Versa has crummy ones).

My anecdotal experience is that my aunt owns a Fit, and I've driven the Versa as a rental. Aside from the miserable small-overlap crash test ratings from 2013 back, the Fit is a great car. Amazing fuel mileage, incredibly spacious for what it is, and surprisingly fun to drive for an econobox. The Versa was not so fun, and while I can't speak to the reliability, the internet would recommend the Fit as well.

traderranger said:   I followed up on some reviews here http://www.kbb.com/honda/fit/2016/lx-consumer_reviews/?vehicleid... where Honda Fit has great reviews (and Nissan Versa has crummy ones).
  You're not gonna like my answer but buying the cheapest new car is oxymoron at best.
The options I have for a frugal owner are (sorted from best to worst):

(if the repair cost is still less than the entire car value)
- have your old car fixed, providing that the same issue is not reoccurring in the next year.

(if the repair cost is over the car value, sell the used car on craigslist, then)
1. (with cash) get an old, low mileage beater (<2k) with good reliability record from craigslist after having it thoroughly checked by a mechanic and inspection, and plan to drive it for the next 5 years, or
2. (with cash) get a low mileage and fairly new used car around 10K from craigslist, and plan to drive it for the next 10 years.

Buying a new car at <15k from a dealer means you are taking the depreciation hit of the car (around half of the car value in the next 4 years). Not the best way to save money. Such decision only makes sense if you have enough savings and are OK throwing the equal amount of money of the depreciation into the river. But even then, getting a used, nicer car and avoid the initial 3 year depreciation is still the better decision one can make.

Think the cheapest new car now is Mitsubishi Mirage. Fit is good but the best warranty is with the Hyundai Accent at around $15K.

Buy the lowest cost Honda... Resale on them is crazy, two year old hondas seem to sell for $1-2k less than a new one and are much easier to sell than a Nissan. If you want to lease a Nissan would probably be better than owning. My daughter went from leasing a nissan sentra and bought a Honda HRV and loves it, she's had it almost a year and can sell it for close to what she paid for it due to limited supply.

I was VERY surprise with the interior space on the Fit. I simply sat on it at a dealer just for the heck of it, to laugh at how small it was, and was totally surprised as to how roomy it felt. It even had a nice amount of head room.

Resale value is a must. If you want to keep it for more than 3 years, consider purchasing Honda Care, but only get if from dealers that sell it at cost. I think Hyannis Honda is one of the few that still does it...

atikovi said:   Think the cheapest new car now is Mitsubishi Mirage. Fit is good but the best warranty is with the Hyundai Accent at around $15K.
  Wow! Thanks for bringing up Mitsubishi Mirage. I see raving customer reviews on this one. http://www.kbb.com/mitsubishi/mirage/2017/es-consumer_reviews/?v...

Look at the Chevrolet Spark. For JULY Chevy is offering 20% OFF MSRP. You can buy a NEW manual transmission under 10k & a NEW Automatic for 11k. They all have Backup Camera, OnStar & a decent warranty. 10-11k for a new car is a bargain.

bsp8181 said:   I'd buy a Honda Fit instead, much more reliable.  Nissan quality is really hit or miss, and the Versa is average reliability at absolute best.
  Or Civic?
http://nseavoice.com/cars/honda-fit-is-sales-damaged-by-civic-92... answer to the above title is yes but only to a certain extent. The latest Honda Fit is declining in sales figures and many are blaming it on the tenth generation Civic for being too good.This cannot be helped since the Civic is only $2000 more expansive than the Fit and it has way more things to offer. Among them includes better fuel economy and performance. In case you are unaware, the Civic relies on a brand new 1.5L 4-cylinder turbo engine that is as powerful as the last Civic Si and can return up to 42mpg.

Mitsubishi Mirage (Sub-Compact) made Consumer Reports WORSE 10 cars of 2016! You won't see great resale value there down the road.

http://fortune.com/2016/03/18/worst-rated-cars/

Please note the base model comes with manual windows/locks. That to me is a deal breaker even if it is the cheapest new car in America. You'll want to swing for the next trim up and with that you might want to start looking around for other models as well.

It also has one of the worst crash ratings. Try a Kia Soul

that doesnt say much for anyone who would buy a 2 year old car for 2000 less than a new one,,,thats Brainless..

Something about buying a car on Craigslist just seems like courting trouble. Given all the flakes I've dealt with on small items, I can only imagine the issues in trying to buy/sell a $10K+ automobile. I'm assuming you would need to meet at a garage, then bank, etc. to be safe.

Sorry I know you said brand new but consider same year used (or in your case, a 3 year old that is still under warranty OR sold by Toyota) with extended 7 year warranty. Works out cheaper than brand new with better warranty.

For example, in 2009, I bought a Camry with 40K miles and paid $800 for a 7 year 100K mile warranty for $17K out the door (Brand new was $22K out the door).

So in reality, I saved $5K and had 60K miles warranty versus the standard 36K miles.
A 3 year old used with 7 year warranty, I am certain you can get it for around $11 to $13K. WAY better than a brand new Versa.

If it matters, It still runs FANTASTIC and the warranty just ran out.

I will say this about the Versa. At the new car auto show in Reno two years ago or so, they had the new Versa at $9995. Not a lot of options, obviously, but I was impressed with the trunk space. My son and I popped the hood and he, literally, could have had a couple friends sit in there and play. Unbelievably huge trunk. Interior was roomy in back too. But, Nissan's reliability has been hit and miss lately. The Honda Fit would be the much better choice I would think.

yes, Nissan's last forever, we got this for my son and it a great car.

anonguy said:   Something about buying a car on Craigslist just seems like courting trouble. Given all the flakes I've dealt with on small items, I can only imagine the issues in trying to buy/sell a $10K+ automobile. I'm assuming you would need to meet at a garage, then bank, etc. to be safe.
  Have bought and sold 10+ cars on there. Never an issue. Well, except the guy who paid 4K in $20's with the wind blowing. That was sort of a pain.

Sonicboy134 said:   yes, Nissan's last forever, we got this for my son and it a great car.
Only problems with Nissan's (and the may have fixed this) is that they have the absolute worst paint/clear coat of any car manufacturer. Here in AZ, when you see a faded car, it is a Nissan/Infiniti... Including mine. Other than that, they are very affordable to drive.

http://www.cheatsheet.com/automobiles/the-10-deadliest-vehicles-...

Which means that the versa has the highest fatality rate amongst its peers.

2016 Honda Fit vs. Nissan Versa Note, Consumer Reports ratings
Disclaimer
The Versa has gotten better and is now highly reliable, unlike some other Nissans, and the Fit remains noisy with a rough ride.

consumer report is on crack again. predicted reliability for the versa is much better than average?

Here's another source. http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/Nissan_Versa/Re...

tennis8363 said:   
Sonicboy134 said:   yes, Nissan's last forever, we got this for my son and it a great car.
Only problems with Nissan's (and the may have fixed this) is that they have the absolute worst paint/clear coat of any car manufacturer. Here in AZ, when you see a faded car, it is a Nissan/Infiniti... Including mine. Other than that, they are very affordable to drive.

Honda paint is the worst, chipping from a grain of sand. Their windshields are also very thin and if said grain of sand bounced off the paint and hit the glass, it would break too.
I'm a Honda person. I'm on the Civic forums daily.

OP, stay away from Mitsubishi.

No mention of Toyota Yaris or Corolla...

cr3s said:   consumer report is on crack again. predicted reliability for the versa is much better than average?

Here's another source. http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/Nissan_Versa/Re...

US News is using JD Power ratings, which sometimes differ a lot from Consumer Reports' and seem to overrate the reliability of luxury cars, including Cadillac and even British brands.  CR didn't always rate the Nissan Versa highly for reliability but ranked the previous generation was among the worst.  And CR gives poor reliability ratings to some other current Nissans, even for reasons unrelated to their terrible CV transmissions.

<insert obligatory "Get a Crown Vic" comment here>

Take a look at hertz car sales. They are 1 yr old with warranty and have available warranty extensions. I just bought a 2015 kia sedona lx w/ confort for $18500. Only 34000 miles. The extended bumper to bumper warranty was $2k. They also have many smaller cars. You could be way ahead on money if you find a good one. Best part is that you get to rent the car before you buy it. It you like it, the rental is free, if not, you just turn it in and pay the rental rate.

traderranger said:   No mention of Toyota Yaris or Corolla...
  Yeah, just what I was thinking.  I love my 14 year old Corolla.  Plan to buy another someday when this one quits.

HKStallion said:   Take a look at hertz car sales. They are 1 yr old with warranty and have available warranty extensions. I just bought a 2015 kia sedona lx w/ confort for $18500. Only 34000 miles. The extended bumper to bumper warranty was $2k. They also have many smaller cars. You could be way ahead on money if you find a good one. Best part is that you get to rent the car before you buy it. It you like it, the rental is free, if not, you just turn it in and pay the rental rate.
  Thanks for your suggestion. I checked their https://www.hertzcarsales.com/ and this is a great way to buy a low mileage car with warranty and not haggle prices!

larrymoencurly said:   
cr3s said:   consumer report is on crack again. predicted reliability for the versa is much better than average?

US News is using JD Power ratings, which sometimes differ a lot from Consumer Reports' and seem to overrate the reliability of luxury cars, including Cadillac and even British brands.  CR didn't always rate the Nissan Versa highly for reliability but ranked the previous generation was among the worst.  And CR gives poor reliability ratings to some other current Nissans, even for reasons unrelated to their terrible CV transmissions.

Well, I don't understand how CR can report the reliability of a 2016 model as way better than average when the car has a history of poor performances.  For newer cars, I'd go with JD more than CR, at least for the first 3 years.

larrymoencurly said:   

The only Nissan CVT problems I've heard about were up to ~2013. Have you something for later?

redmed said:   
  Yeah, just what I was thinking.  I love my 14 year old Corolla.  Plan to buy another someday when this one quits.

I love my 30-year-old Corolla.

Slickone said:     The only Nissan CVT problems I've heard about were up to ~2013. Have you something for later?
  Carlos said something about the Nissan CVTs in Dec., 2013:  Automotive News article

larrymoencurly said:   
Slickone said:     The only Nissan CVT problems I've heard about were up to ~2013. Have you something for later?
  Carlos said something about the Nissan CVTs in Dec., 2013:  Automotive News article

Yeah they fixed those problems around that time.

larrymoencurly said:   
redmed said:   

I just bought a 20 year old Accord. 

Consider a used car or something other than the Versa.
The low cost new cars really aren't worth it given the large number of used cars on the market.

Just rented a Nissan Versa - its a miserable excuse of a car, less refined than my 16-year old civic (which I would rent any day over the versa).

Listed MPG won't stand up to actual use due to awful CVT, 1.6 setup (very loud, engine and road noise.)

Skipping 1 Messages...
larrymoencurly said:   redmed said:   

I bought my Scion xD (has a corolla engine) in November 2008 (Black Friday!)
Still runs great.. 105k miles later..

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017