Make calls on your RingPlus phones every 60 days or face the consequences!

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Text Only
rated:
I have three. Two of them have fallen off of their Memorial Day plan that got them up to 3750 minutes and are down to the "Truly Free" plan. Evidently, there's a clause in the contract that says if you don't make a voice call every 60 days, you lose your plan. No recourse. There's a big discussion thread about it, and they're "going to see what they can do" for people who fell off of their free plans. 

Sigh. At least I caught it on one device.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I try to make a call at least every 30 days. That way I would have to forget twice.

dealsnmoredeals (Nov. 03, 2016 @ 9:53a) |

Furthermore, I set up a recurring reminder on my google calendar to make a call every 30days....

boulos (Nov. 03, 2016 @ 3:31p) |

I do it on First Sunday of every month.

marcopolomle (Nov. 03, 2016 @ 3:57p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

So do you always sign contracts without reading them???

I have a couple of "old" dumbphones on free plans that I use for place-holders and I put a couple of reminders in my calendar to call each one about the middle of the plan.

FMB1 said:   So do you always sign contracts without reading them???

I have a couple of "old" dumbphones on free plans that I use for place-holders and I put a couple of reminders in my calendar to call each one about the middle of the plan.

I do when I'm in a hurry and it's freeeeeee. :-/

Redbeard25 said:   FMB1 said:   So do you always sign contracts without reading them???

FMB1 just shakes his head!!

Are there any auto text or incoming call apps for this?

Can you reactivate the phone w/ new #?

needhelpplease said:   Can you reactivate the phone w/ new #?
  Good idea... I can try that with one, but I think the other would fail FED.

This problem is NOT restricted to RingPlus.
Freedompop has a similar situation that was NOT limited to free plans. I had a plan that only cost $7.98 per month. After a few weeks past the deadline, the service was disabled. I had over 3 Gig of data banked when I tried to use the system without success. They still billed my credit card each month. I spent over 4 hours on Freedompop customer service phone calls ... none under an hour.
I ended up purchasing a new unit and almost starting over. Freedom Pop made a small adjustment in my favor.
Since then, I make jolly well sure to use that account at least every 45 days.

Good idea

I thought this was common knowledge

Sorry you got stuck.

will calling using wifi cover this? I have my phone for emergency travel, it doesn't work Anywhere near where I live. thanks

Will the text alone counts as usage?

AFAIK, you have to place a voice call and it needs to be completed. Also, the new Truly Free plan seems to be a 30 day trial only.

Tracfone will drop your account if you have 6 months of inactivity IIRC. So, not limited to freemium carriers. Just call BBC news: 712-432-5335.

There's a question if you only need 1 call or more than one. Do more than 1 every 60 days just in case. And yes AFAIK it needs to be a completed call even though the ad will play even if the phone call is not completed so not sure why completion is necessary.

Thanks OP. Didn't know about this. 

1/4 has already dropped to the free plan! Damn! Had been using data on it but not making calls.
1/4 is in active use, so no issues. Used the other 2 to make short calls. Have to remember to do this periodically.
Any way to get back the "lost" plan? Orif not,  atleast transfer the balance to the other lines? Thanks!

mathfaster said:   Tracfone will drop your account if you have 6 months of inactivity IIRC. So, not limited to freemium carriers. Just call BBC news: 712-432-5335.

There's a question if you only need 1 call or more than one. Do more than 1 every 60 days just in case. And yes AFAIK it needs to be a completed call even though the ad will play even if the phone call is not completed so not sure why completion is necessary.

I"m not sure thats Right... been tracfone user for a few years, Only use it Rarely , out of town trips.. you Pay for your time and min, its not free, Why would they drop a paid account? am I missing something here? thanks

mathfaster said:   Tracfone will drop your account if you have 6 months of inactivity IIRC. 
You sure about that? I have been using tracfone for years and after R+ happened, I hardly ever use it.
How can they do that when you paid money for a fixed amount of time & minutes/data/text.
So unless you run out of time they can't drop your account just like that.

Redw000d said:   
mathfaster said:   Tracfone will drop your account if you have 6 months of inactivity IIRC. So, not limited to freemium carriers. Just call BBC news: 712-432-5335.

I"m not sure thats Right... been tracfone user for a few years, Only use it Rarely , out of town trips.. you Pay for your time and min, its not free, Why would they drop a paid account? am I missing something here? thanks

"Notwithstanding your Service End Date, TracFone reserves the right to discontinue service and deactivate any phone for which there is no voice, text or data usage for a period of six (6) consecutive months for Smartphones and twelve (12) consecutive months for other phones."

https://www.tracfone.com/includes/content/popup/terms_conditions...

mathfaster said:   
Redw000d said:   

"Notwithstanding your Service End Date, TracFone reserves the right to discontinue service and deactivate any phone for which there is no voice, text or data usage for a period of six (6) consecutive months for Smartphones and twelve (12) consecutive months for other phones."

https://www.tracfone.com/includes/content/popup/terms_conditions.jsp

It will be interesting to know if they have actually done it?

BTW (as usual) FW is messing up the link, so just copy & paste as a plain text into your browser.
Tracfone said: If your Service is deactivated, your Service can be reactivated by purchasing and adding an Airtime Card. Once reactivated, your phone may be assigned a new phone number. Airtime which remained unused at the time of deactivation will still be available if Service is reactivated within 60 days from the deactivation date otherwise any unused airtime will be lost.

I lost a Lyca Mobile number and deposit just barely after 90 days of non-use.

Yep i made sure to call my home phone from each when activated, and have been trying to call give or take 4-6 weeks

OK. So your free plans get downgraded to something w/ less data, etc. Does R+ also take away your top-up balance?

ablang said:   OK. So your free plans get downgraded to something w/ less data, etc. Does R+ also take away your top-up balance?
  No, at least for me, that's still there.

Same thing happened to me.

FMB1 said:   
Redbeard25 said:   

Here's the other thing. My oldest phone was on Future - Phase 9 for a long time and didn't have the call requirement. I guess I was lulled into thinking the new plans would be the same.

Looking into a Freedompop hotspot for one of the phones now. :-/

Just curious, what are reasons why one would have multiple phones, especially given that, like the OP notes, it's easy to forget about using them to maintain account status?

yoregano said:   Just curious, what are reasons why one would have multiple phones, especially given that, like the OP notes, it's easy to forget about using them to maintain account status?

Kids' occasional streaming, overseas family visiting here, backup when data plan limits on main phone lines may not be enough...  mainly because of no monthly fees and secondly because of quite generous allotments.
Unlike voice minutes, prepaid/a-la-carte data plans are not as easily available and/or inexpensive enough. Currently with PP for main phones primarily for VZ coverage. Looking into Total Wireless. If no issues with them, with their much higher data limits, would have much less need for R+.

Redbeard25 said:   
FMB1 said:   
Redbeard25 said:   

Here's the other thing. My oldest phone was on Future - Phase 9 for a long time and didn't have the call requirement. I guess I was lulled into thinking the new plans would be the same.

Looking into a Freedompop hotspot for one of the phones now. :-/

See my post in this thread about my Freedompop experience.  Yes, I have a Freedompop data plan for my hotspot.  Use it every 45 days or so or it will be locked out, but they will still run your credit card for any charges.

yoregano said:   Just curious, what are reasons why one would have multiple phones, especially given that, like the OP notes, it's easy to forget about using them to maintain account status?
  I have three phones on R+:
 1. an iPhone 4S that I leave in my kid's backpack in a "secret" pocket so I can use "find my iPhone" to track his whereabouts. This is the one that I could safely deactivate and reactivate without FED consequences.
2. a Moto G that I thought I was going to use for podcast/Audible listening in the car to leave my main phone (on another carrier) free for navigation and other uses. But, the Moto G wasn't as responsive as...
3. the LG Tribute 2 that I use for podcast/Audible.

I had put all three onto plans that required the calls. Guess which one still has the plan? THE MOTO G of course.

Redbeard25 said:   
  I have three phones on R+:
 1. an iPhone 4S that I leave in my kid's backpack in a "secret" pocket so I can use "find my iPhone" to track his whereabouts. This is the one that I could safely deactivate and reactivate without FED consequences.

Is there a way to do this w/ android? 

$9 upgrade coming for everyone tomorrow.
upgrade path and cheap Tether-3,500 Talk 3,500 Text and 3,500 MB
just pay the $9 fine/FEE and play by the rules next time.. No top off needed if you carry balance, CC hit with $9
https://social.ringplus.net/discussion/6642

Monkeybiz said:   $9 upgrade coming for everyone tomorrow.
just pay the $9 fine/FEE and play by the rules next time.. No top off needed if you carry balance, CC hit with $9

Don't they just take the $9 upgrade fee out your existing account balance? Isn't that what it is there for (to spend on fees for account changes and services)?

This is a great plan and great news.
Thanks Monkeybiz for alerting us!

fivetalents said:   
Monkeybiz said:   $9 upgrade coming for everyone tomorrow.

Don't they just take the $9 upgrade fee out your existing account balance? Isn't that what it is there for (to spend on fees for account changes and services)?

Purchases on Classifieds definitely comes from credit card.  You cannot buy stuff on Classifieds using your top up.
That's probably the reason why they started "Classified" in the first place i.e. to circumvent the use of account balance money.

However
Karl the R+ CEO said: If your top up is over $0.01 you will not have to pay another top up.

marcopolomle said:   
However
Karl the R+ CEO said: If your top up is over $0.01 you will not have to pay another top up.

Interesting...
Did you see this?:
Ringplus Commitment Free Plan: upgrade path and cheap Tether-3,500 Talk 3,500 Text and 3,500 MB LTE Full Speed
www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1514763/?showmessage=19573854 
"Is it true, as someone on Social stated, that upgrades will incur an automatic $35 topup, regardless of existing balance?"

Bleah! Site is too slow!

Is some moron DDOSing it just to tick us all off?

504 errors.

glitchy server load test so they opened upgrade on Dashboard, grabbed two until sold out then another on classified. A lot of work to get but well worth the trouble. Plan is working on two phones now.

Just a tip, if you got classfied it should show up on dashboard in a few days. You might want to top off before hand on the lower amount before changing plans, $35 refill otherwise.

Set up SIP calling via their instructions. Confirmed that outbound calls using this do use up plan minutes and caller ID correctly shows the no. called from. Can set the active no. from the SIP app so won't have to install app on each phone and manually call out. HTH.

Redbeard25 said:   
FMB1 said:   
Redbeard25 said:   

As another reference point, I had one of Leonardo plans that came up right after the Future Phase plans and it was downgraded to a free plan after non-use.   It seems like the 60 day non-use rule has been in place since some time in early 2015 according to various discussions on this and other forums.

Skipping 6 Messages...
I do it on First Sunday of every month.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017