Declining quality of Amazon customer support

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
It feels to me like the quality of Amazon 's customer service has declined dramatically over the past year. Does anyone else feel this way? Particularly in terms of competence (like getting weak, lame, prefabricated answers that don't address the problem and also poor listening skills), less so, but still somewhat, in terms of helpfulness and concern for the customer.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I just called them 2 weeks ago and they were helpful, knowledgeable and willing to help (Except refund my money on my mistake). So YMMV.

What were the issues you needed help with, and what kind of resolution did AMZN offer? I haven't had any trouble with AMZN support.

It's common for mass market support teams to provide prefab answers as the first response, but usually the next reply gets a more personalized response.

Recently bought the Echo and called their Echo devise support line - very helpful & followed thru with an email summarizing their answer. Very helpful.

Curious why the OP is so bothered as to delete the first post. Nothing wrong with asking the question, nor anything wrong with others posting their thoughts, even if they don't agree with the OP.

The topic as suggested by the OP was that Amazan customer service has declined and asking if others have had poor experiences as well.

yoregano said:   Curious why the OP is so bothered as to delete the first post. Nothing wrong with asking the question, nor anything wrong with others posting their thoughts, even if they don't agree with the OP.

The topic as suggested by the OP was that Amazan customer service has declined and asking if others have had poor experiences as well.

Agreed. I thought it was a valid question and worth discussing various people's more recent experiences because there have been a lot of changes at Ama zon over the past few years and a lot of them have not been for the better. I haven't experienced a decline in their customer service, but definitely have in various other areas of their communication, product page, checkout, packaging, shipping, etc. user experiences.

FWIW:
Original title: "Declining quality of Ama zon customer support"
Original Post: "It feels to me like the quality of Ama zon's customer service has declined dramatically over the past year. Does anyone else feel this way?"

If nothing else, it is worth discussing openly and honestly in case Ama zon monitors/follows FW threads about themselves since they get SO MANY referrals from this site.

Well the OP question is back again, and still wondering why I'm the only one who posted. Does no one call Amazon? haha (BTW I used their call me back service, it was so easy)

Well, typically you first talk with off-shore support, which are clueless. Ask to be transferred to the US and then it's much better.

rsuaver said:   Well, typically you first talk with off-shore support, which are clueless. Ask to be transferred to the US and then it's much better.
  Not limited to Amzn but I hate it when the offshore support keeps repeating my name in every other sentence.  Also hate it when they ask me how my day has been going or how am I doing?  I'm not interested in personal interaction, just take care of the issue at hand and let me go.

I recently had to call Amazon several times for different issues. Each time they solved my issue on the first call and were very friendly. One call, for a hardware issue which necessitated replacement, took longer than I think it should have for them to process the replacement order, but not ridiculously long.

Thank you for the question. A resounding YES from my perspective. Seems nearly all calls go offshore and you have to talk to a script monkey for 30-45 minutes until they finally transfer you to the right department and/or a US call center that speaks native English.

Spent several long calls trying to get something corrected that was pretty obviously wrong, they couldn't find their own order number available to me, they couldn't get me to a supervisor or the USA, everything felt scripted and with limited ability to help even if they had a clue.

I'm ordering a lot less from Amazon lately, not worth the hassle of bad customer service.

For me the customer service is still top notch but the fulfillment has taken a dive relative to the past. The first 15 years I had one problem.  The last 18 months it's been one out of every 6/7 orders.  Defective items, items (from Amazon or fulfilled by Amazon) sold as new that are clearly opened and used, incorrect shipping info (like when they said a product hadn't shipped buy arrived that day - and was used), lost/damaged packages where they e-mailed me it was lost/damaged in transit, sent out a replacement then a few days later demanded I return the lost package. Since they started charging sales tax in my state this year, the price advantage has disappeared and most local retailers price match them.  I've definitely been ordering less from them because it's become a game of Russian roulette.

Luckily I have not had to use their customer service but their pricing is not as good. It is great for some items but for others it is expensive. Also, with them trying to game the 2-day prime thing (if it ships from a far away warehouse, you do not get 2 day delivery crap), it has become less and less attractive. I no longer assume that AMZ is the best place to shop - I look elsewhere and with retailers price matching AMZ, I have incentive to shop local.

I've only had to deal with Amazon's CS a couple of times but they seem to be more reading from a script than anything else. But the bigger a company gets, the first thing to go is customer service in my opinion. Luckily it doesn't happen to every company.

They just rejected my request for price adjustment. Items are not yet delivered!

phony said:   They just rejected my request for price adjustment. Items are not yet delivered!
  Yup, new policy.  
They will only price match TV's now.
And Amazon charges you to do a return unless the item is marked "with free returns" which alot of your items are not.

Well AMZN just posted its fifth straight quarter of profit a week ago. The money has to come from somewhere (and it's surely not from Jeff's pocket).

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016