• Text Only
rated:
Here are the top 30 phones according to Tech Advisor.

I have a Nexus 5x. It's relatively new for me, but so far I really like it. I got it through Google Fi, and if I decided I don't like their service (which is fine so far), I can take my phone over to Republic Wireless. I'm inclined to recommend it, though my usage is limited to a short time.

To help others make phone purchases, what do you have? Would you recommend it to others? What phones should we avoid?

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Droid Turbo on Bluegreen Mobile (T-Mobile pink plan). Unlimited talk/text and 10g of data with data stash. I used to use... (more)

Lildragon32 (Jul. 27, 2016 @ 5:25p) |

Droid is a VZW trademark. So are you giving your TM networked phone a nickname?

zapjb (Jul. 27, 2016 @ 8:08p) |

I have the Moto X with RW 1.0 plan.  Lately, the popping noise from the speakers have been getting worse and the battery... (more)

qcumber98 (Jul. 27, 2016 @ 10:52p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I don't know about the Quality of RW lately, but 2 years ago it was a big mess. Dropped Calls, Transferred Calls, calls that drop to voicemail..etc

Moto X 2nd generation on Verizon/Page Plus. Paid about $120 used on eBay, great phone for the price. It's going to be obsolete soon and the next generation is Moto X Pure Edition, which is rapidly coming down in price.

Moto X 1st gen on RW, No issues anytime a call drops it was due to the other persons service
Lumia 640 - wireless only. used as a MP3,Radio, and offline GPS

forbin4040 said:   I don't know about the Quality of RW lately, but 2 years ago it was a big mess. Dropped Calls, Transferred Calls, calls that drop to voicemail..etc

I had Republic Wireless before I recently switched to Google Fi. The biggest issue I had with them had to do with wifi calling + other wifi-related actions. Whenever I'm on the phone and something happened (like an update or receiving a text), there was a good chance the call would drop. It was as if it couldn't handle doing two things at once. On RW I have the Moto G 1st gen. Good phone back then, but not so good now.

Note 4 on ATT. Best phone I ever used. Paid about $220 for it including taxes. Definitely would recommend it as it is the last Samsung Note that has a replaceable battery.
With the replaceable battery the screen on time can extend to 20+ hours without having to find a power outlet. ATT service is generally quite good. But I bought it on contract (company pays 85% of the monthly charge)so I had to pay $16 for a 3rd party unlock code. Next time I would rather get a no-contract phone. It has a locked bootloader though so for people who likes to tinker it is better to get the TMO version. Overall I think this is the best phone for work. (try not to get the contract or "Next", too much hassle..) One nice thing about ATT is that they give me a lot of free data basically doubling from 2GB to 4GB a few months into the contract for the same price. With the bonus+rollover data I am never able to use up all of the quota in a month.

Verizon Moto E 2nd Generation. Paid $25 new. Using on GoSmart Mobile (owned by T-Mobile, running on their network) for $30/month unlimited talk+text and 4GB of data (only 3G though, but I have never noticed any speed issues).

It's a pretty basic phone, but it works great for me. I don't run many apps on it, and I rarely use my phone as a camera (it has no flash). I hate the idea of carrying around an expensive phone that I can drop or lose. I consider this phone disposable. I have another one (paid $10 for that one) in a box as a backup - my "insurance."

I don't have a Moto pure but I am a fan of the camera specs. I have 2 Moto X 1st gen and I like those. Missing is the ability to add an SD card and replaceable batteries. I did replace my own battery but OUCH it's a pain in the the.... I'm with Republic on one Moto but I'm not a fan of the new clear choice plans. I've been with RW since the DEFY days and was very happy when they were still ahead of the curve. I think they are going to devolve into a standard carrier and that isn't what I signed up for. I think the creativity may have died out. If they continue forward with the LABS in particular the one called "Bridge" I may stick around.

There is a fair chance I will jump ship(probably to FI) when it comes time to get a new phone. I want to push that off until the Moto Z line becomes available and price is reasonable. I believe the modular design will eventually become popular even though I don't expect it to truly catch on for another decade. I guess that's why I'm an early adopter, lol. I've been waiting for modular phones for about a decade already and I'll have my eye on something else when they become mainstream in another 10 to 15 years.

I have had almost every Samsung Galaxy phone from the Galaxy S3 and also LG models G2, G3 and G4- all Android phones. With each new model and the latest edition of Android I was having more and more software and App issues and mysterious battery draining problems to where I was constantly trying to shut off Apps running in the background and freeing up memory with Apps like "Clean Sweep" and other similar Apps just to try to make it through the day on a battery charge and get keep the phone's operation speedy. I was so preoccupied with this process of "cleaning" up my Android phones and always fighting a losing battle with the battery draining issue (and the phone heating up from mystery apps running in the background) that I never really enjoyed the whole phone/wireless/smartphone experience. Then there is also the issue of waiting for OS software updates that would only come sporadically in Android (and usually only top of line models and not for all carriers).In February I got the newest Android 6.0 Marshmallow update  and that upgrade was finally the last straw with my long time Android experience (displeasure) because my LG G4 became possessed and starting doing weird things like replacing letters in text messages with emoji's, freezing up constantly at the wrong time, etc.

Where am I going with this? I always bought my wife and daughter iPhones to keep them "out of trouble" using their mobile phones. They have always been happy with their iPhones (I even got them the newest 6S models last Christmas) But I also noticed over the last few years that they had VERY little problems using their phones unlike me, and their Apps and iOS operating system software was ALWAYS updated promptly and the Apple universe for accessories was simply unparalleled. So in March I took the plunge and dumped my LG G4 Android phone and bought my first iPhone- and Apple 6S PLUS (large 5.5" screen like my Androids- I'm over 60- LOL) !

I have enjoyed using my new iPhone for a couple months now WAY BETTER than ANY Android phone I have ever used! The battery life is phenomenal- lasting me MORE than a day, the Apps all work and behave correctly and rarely do I have a phone or freezing issue. Another words, "everything just works" like it is supposed to AND I never have to check what "renegade" apps are running in the background draining my battery, etc. Everything running is just "tightly integrated" per Apple standards! I can even leave my "Location" (GPS) on all day for "spur of the moment" instant location based information look-ups on Google or on Maps and the phone's battery barely breaks a sweat. I could never leave GPS on in any Android phone I owned because I could literally watch the battery level go down MINUTE  by MINUTE (not even hours- LOL) when turned on. Same thing with keeping WiFi "ON". In Android if not connected to a network on WiFi, having WiFi turned on would drain the battery even though it was supposed to "sleep" if there was no WiFi connection. On iPhone, the WiFi function DOES properly go to sleep in the absence of a network connection and has little effect on the battery if left on. Same with Bluetooth.....Now I never turn off BT since I use it constantly to connect my iPhone with my home phone system, with wireless headsets and Beats headphones and switching between 4 different cars in the house!

The newest iPhone 6S and 6S PLUS are among the 2 most polished, sophisticated and PREMIUM "smart" phones available on the market today. Oh and did I mention that both iPhones are the FASTEST phones I have ever used whether watching Videos, roaming the 'net, using the camera, GPS etc. Unbelievably FAST like using the newest Intel I7 processor desktop PC or Mac. Sure there are lots of features on the newest Android phones over Apple but the "integrated" experience and speed just isn't there going from function to function and day to day operation (and security). In fact the military announced earlier this week they are even going to migrate from Android to iPhones for all the reasons I mentioned and more, as well as the well known security of the devices themselves...

Good luck and judge for yourself  !

iPhone 6s with AT&T here. I'm in my 30s and have been working in IT for a long time, but when it comes to my phone I don't want to have to mess with it, I just want it to work. Apple delivers on that.

I'm on the Moto G, 1st Gen, through RW. I like the phone, it worked really well for me until the most recent Android upgrade, Phone still works well, but it's noticeably slower, which gets annoying. I'm not a heavy app user, and I keep things to a minimum as far as pictures, downloads, etc.

So, I'm in the market for a new phone in the next few months, and am interested in some of the newer phones being offerred soon by RW, but not thrilled to have a 50% increase in monthly costs just to get a faster phone. I'm on the talk, text, wi-fi plan for $10, their new line of plans would require me to move to the $15 plan for the same service. So I guess I'll wait for this phone to crap out...

VBMcGB said:   
forbin4040 said:   I don't know about the Quality of RW lately, but 2 years ago it was a big mess. Dropped Calls, Transferred Calls, calls that drop to voicemail..etc

I had Republic Wireless before I recently switched to Google Fi. The biggest issue I had with them had to do with wifi calling + other wifi-related actions. Whenever I'm on the phone and something happened (like an update or receiving a text), there was a good chance the call would drop. It was as if it couldn't handle doing two things at once. On RW I have the Moto G 1st gen. Good phone back then, but not so good now.

I dont have that issue,   my phone updates on wifi.  and if i'm at home I use a regular handset.  My x   does what is needed,  why shell out $300 on a phone that will be obsolete when it arrives,  skip a few generations 

A black one made by Motorola. It lives in the car. The battery lasts a week/charge.

Apple vs Android is just a basic open ecosystem versus closed ecosystem. In an open ecosystem like Android for instance you're going to get a lot more diversity but diversity also makes it hard to code the software and it can cause compatibility issues. That gets even worse when you get all the carrier bloatware added on top of it. A good bloat free vanilla Android works pretty well.

Apple has a closed ecosystem as a result things work together more consistently. The downside is there's little diversity.

ZTE Awe I bought on Black Friday from Target in 2013 and it's still going strong. Hoping it dies soon since I have two backups and if it lasts another year or so, the backups may become obsolete. I use RinggPluss and like it since I only use text and data on my home wifi so a free plan is perfect for me.

iPhone 5S for me on ringplus with 3500 min/text/MB
iPhone 6 for her with Puppy Wireless $30
IPhone 5 on T-Mobile for $25 and 10GB data and binge on! This is our primary internet now...

It's great having Sprint, T-Mobile and Verizon as we travel so much that at least one works perfect! Although Verizon has the best service hands down of any of them traveling.

We have iPhone 5s x 4. Three are personal and on AT&T and one is business and on Verizon. The phone is fine. We switched from Verizon to AT&T for the personal phones nearly two years ago to get off the new-every-two treadmill. With AT&T, we pay $140/month for 15g and three lines. The phones are extra, but once they are paid off, the price is right. AT&T also rolls over unused data to the next month. We rarely use the 15g, so when something comes up (road trip), there is always plenty of data. Network seems to be as good as Verizon.

Iphone 6s paid through work. I hate but respect Apple, but I'll get a 5x in a minute if I can through work or move to a position that doesn't include cell.

VBMcGB said:   Here are the top 30 phones according to Tech Advisor.

I have a Nexus 5x. It's relatively new for me, but so far I really like it. I got it through Google Fi, and if I decided I don't like their service (which is fine so far), I can take my phone over to Republic Wireless. I'm inclined to recommend it, though my usage is limited to a short time.

To help others make phone purchases, what do you have? Would you recommend it to others? What phones should we avoid?

Stay away from republic wireless

Oneplus One running a custom CM13 build and Xposed framework. Has treated me well. Deciding whether to go with the OnePlus 3 or the new Nexus when it's released.

robasha4 said:   

Why  ?    

bb6619 said:   
robasha4 said:   

Why  ?    

+1  Why stay away from RW?  Saying that without backing it up is kind of cryptic.  Did they send someone to your house to steal all of your KoolAid when you didn't pay a bill?  LOL  We don't know that much about the new plans launching in a few days or how well the new phones will work with the new mostly unmodified OS. They even have new partners with different towers.  The new phones are no longer locked to RW either and they will be offering BYOP. 

Please elaborate.

I have an iPhone 6s. I'm waiting for the new release.

Never had a better phone than my LG G Flex D950.

giqcass said:   
bb6619 said:   
robasha4 said:   

Why  ?    

+1  Why stay away from RW?  Saying that without backing it up is kind of cryptic.  Did they send someone to your house to steal all of your KoolAid when you didn't pay a bill?  LOL  We don't know that much about the new plans launching in a few days or how well the new phones will work with the new mostly unmodified OS. They even have new partners with different towers.  The new phones are no longer locked to RW either and they will be offering BYOP. 

Please elaborate.

They wont let him play Pokemon Go..  

I had OnePlus One for almost 2 years, really nice and capable phone, one of the best if not the best I owned. Until it decided to blow battery. Replaced and it did the same.
Now on my wife's old iPhone 6. Thinking what to do next.

Have Samsung s5 and spouse has Samsung grand prime (which I wouldn't have loved as much but was only$50) on Straight Talk which we've loved for years.

LG G4 - I got as a beta.

PROS: Removable battery (big plus), fast processor, nice memory, microSD slot, bluetooth, NCF, Remote control for TV/Media center, good camera/video recording.

CONS: Barely fits in a jeans pocket, Qi recharge feature available but not installed, loss of signal while traveling, new model out 6 months after shipping.

I read some owners had issues with battery drain. That is the fault of Android 6, not the phone. I had to root around in the settings and turn off different things until the battery stopped dying after only a few hours. I don't remember what it was but it was something unimportant that they turned on by default after the upgrade from 5 to 6. Now my phone lasts the whole day, although I do have a spare battery and charger that use occasionally and I did install a Qi antenna for wireless recharging.

iPhone 6S Plus - AT&T. I absolutely love it.

I started with Android, getting the latest flagship phone every 15-18 months. When the iPhone 6 came out, this changed everything for me.

Nexus 6. Love it.

iPhone SE--small but a powerhouse nontheless

giqcass said:   
bb6619 said:   
robasha4 said:   

Why  ?    

Please elaborate.

I would like to know why as well. I've had them for a couple of years, and it's generally been good. Since they are going to BYOB, I bought the Nexus 5x for $150 less with one month of service. It has given me an opportunity to try out another service. If I don't like it, I intend to go back to RW. Since I mostly use wifi, the $30 plan works well for me. Can you elaborate on what your experience has been?

Comment - I have been on every galaxy/Samsung and am going to jump to IPhone 7 as well. I'm tired of constant maintenance (as someone above stated). My family's Iphones just work.

ATT, its ok, just hate my plans.

jayK said:   iPhone 6s with AT&T here. I'm in my 30s and have been working in IT for a long time, but when it comes to my phone I don't want to have to mess with it, I just want it to work. Apple delivers on that.
  Same here, currently have the iPhone 6 on AT&T and it always works without issue. I have had every non "s" version of the iPhone since inception but have come to the conclusion that it is better to get the iPhones with more storage to prevent it from becoming obsolete in a few years with software updates. My early phones were 16GB models and I was almost forced to sell them and upgrade after the 2 year cycle. I maxed out the storage on my current iPhone 6 and dont plan on upgrading anytime soon as it still works great.

I do BYOD with Cricket.

I've had my Oneplus 3 for a little over a week now, moving from a Moto X 1st gen. Initial impressions are "HOLY CRAP THIS PHONE IS BLAZING FAST". The battery life has been great, call quality also. The dash charging has changed how I charge my phone completely. I no longer need to leave it plugged in over night.

Coming from the Moto X, this phone is huuuuge, and I was worried I wouldn't like it due to the size, but the phone is really comfortable in my hand, and just feels like a premium phone.

Oneplus uses a light skin over the stock Android OS, called Oxygen OS. It adds a few small tweaks/customizations that actually seem to add to the OS, not detract from it.

The only thing I really miss coming from the Moto are the voice commands that Moto did.

I did really want to wait and get the new Moto Z, but my X was really dying (random restarts, battery dying by noon, which started happening after an Android security update a few months ago). I couldn't wait for the unlocked version to come along in the fall.  After using this phone though, I'm happy with it.

TL;DR version
Super happy with the Oneplus 3 that I've had a little over a week now.

panaguy said:   I have had almost every Samsung Galaxy phone from the Galaxy S3 and also LG models G2, G3 and G4- all Android phones. With each new model and the latest edition of Android I was having more and more software and App issues and mysterious battery draining problems to where I was constantly trying to shut off Apps running in the background and freeing up memory with Apps like "Clean Sweep" and other similar Apps to try to make it through the day on a battery charge and get keep the phone's operation speedy. I was so preoccupied with this process of "cleaning" up in Android and always fighting a losing battle with the battery draining (and the phone heating up from mystery apps running in the background) that I never enjoyed the whole phone/wireless experience. Then there is the issue of waiting for OS software updates that would only come sporadically in Android (and usually only top of line models and not for all carriers). I got the newest Android 6.0 Marshmallow update in February and that upgrade finally was the last straw with my Android experience because my LG G4 became possessed and starting doing weird things like replacing letters in text messages with emoji's, freezing up constantly at the wrong time, etc.

Where am I going with this? I always bought my wife and daughter iPhones to keep them "out of trouble" using their phones. They have always been happy with their iPhones (I even got them the newest 6S models last Christmas) But I also noticed over the last few years that they had very little problems using their phones unlike me, and their Apps and iOS operating system software was ALWAYS updated promptly and the Apple universe for accessories was simply unparalleled. So in March I took the plunge and dumped my LG G4 Android phone and bought my first iPhone- and Apple 6S PLUS (large 5.5" screen like my Androids- I'm over 60- LOL) !

I have enjoyed using my new iPhone for a couple months now WAY BETTER than ANY Android phone I have ever used! The battery life is phenomenal- lasting me MORE than a day, the Apps all work and behave correctly and rarely do I have a phone or freeze issue. Another words, "everything just works" like it is supposed to AND I never have to check what "renegade" apps are running in the background draining my battery, etc. Everything running is just "tightly integrated" ! I can even leave my "Location" (GPS) on all day for "spur of the moment" instant location based information look-ups on Google or on Maps and the phone's battery barely breaks a sweat. I could never leave GPS on in any Android phone I owned because I could literally watch the battery level go down MINUTE (not even hours- LOL) by Minute when turned on. Same thing with keeping WiFi "ON" In Android if not connected to a network on WiFi, having WiFi turned on would drain the battery even though it was supposed to "sleep" if there was no WiFi connection. On iPhone, WiFi function DOES properly go to sleep in the absence of a network connection and has little effect on the battery. Same with Bluetooth.....I never turn it off.

The newest iPhone 6S and 6S PLUS are among the 2 most polished, sophisticated and PREMIUM "smart" phones available on the market today. Oh and did I mention that both iPhones are the FASTEST phones I have ever used whether watching Videos, roaming the 'net, using the camera, GPS etc. Unbelievably FAST like using the newest Intel I7 processor desktop PC or Mac. Sure there are lots of features on the newest Android phones over Apple but the "integrated" experience and speed just isn't there going from function to function and day to day operation (and security). In fact the military announced earlier this week they are even going to migrate from Android to iPhones for all the reasons I mentioned and more, as well as the well known security of the devices themselves...

Good luck and judge for yourself  !

Writing essay should be a piece of cake 

I have the original Nexus 5 (32 GB) on Cricket (AT&T). I pay $20 a month (5 lines shared plan) for unlimited minutes, unlimited text, and 2 GB of data. The LTE is capped at a speed of 8 Mbps, but I can't really think of a time when I need more bandwidth than that on my phone.

I'd like to get a newer phone, but just can't justify it at this point. The battery life is not good, but everything else is great or at least good enough that I wouldn't pay hundreds of dollars to improve it.

If you like iPhone, the iphone is obvious choice.

If you prefer android, any phone that says Nexus on it is the way to go.

iPhones have best resell value of any phone, period. Nexus is best as far as android. s7 edge already sell for under $450 second hand mint condition (big drop from their insane retail).

Samsung rapes phone software.

Source: owning 4 cell phone repair stores

jayK said:   iPhone 6s with AT&T here. I'm in my 30s and have been working in IT for a long time, but when it comes to my phone I don't want to have to mess with it, I just want it to work. Apple delivers on that.

That sounds a lot like my $10 flip phone, it do exactly just that.  It just work and I don't have to mess with it too.  No crazy update or crazy battery drain either.  It only need a few minutes of charge to run for a week.  It just works. 

Skipping 20 Messages...
VBMcGB said:   
giqcass said:   
bb6619 said:   
robasha4 said:   

Why  ?    

Please elaborate.

I would like to know why as well. I've had them for a couple of years, and it's generally been good. Since they are going to BYOB, I bought the Nexus 5x for $150 less with one month of service. It has given me an opportunity to try out another service. If I don't like it, I intend to go back to RW. Since I mostly use wifi, the $30 plan works well for me. Can you elaborate on what your experience has been?

I have the Moto X with RW 1.0 plan.  Lately, the popping noise from the speakers have been getting worse and the battery life has always been terrible.  My biggest complaint about the service is, touch-tones are poorly recognized during a Wi-Fi call.  You know, when you have to enter a PIN but the machine recognizes a different number.  I found that it's best to enter each number very slowly or make the call via cell instead of Wi-Fi.  Also, why are RW phones so damn expensive?  The RW ROM is gone on the new phones.  Yet, the 6P 32GB is $499 at RW and $399 at ProjectFi.  It's the same phone!  The 5X 16GB is $349 at RW and $199 at ProjectFi (dunno if this is after the $150 promo or not). 

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016