Kmart workers believe all the stores are going to be imminently shut down

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

tightpapa said:   Story
††

Sad, but not surprising....the chain has been on a 'death watch' for quite some time now. My closest store closed 2 years ago, just an eye sore empty building sit there. There will be lots more eye sores joining the ranks....

A once truly great chain too. †I've never liked WalMart as much as I liked Kmart in their hey day.

How about the Kmart gift cards I just bought? Can I still use them at Sears?

Kmart emerged from bankruptcy earlier than planned and then went into the toilet†after they purchased Sears ... because Lampert keeps insisting the way to turn the company around is to funnel all the money into Sears.

Even after purchasing Sears, Kmart was showing profit while Sears continued to falter, and instead of maintaining Kmart, Lampert pulled the money from them and put it into the constantly struggling Sears.

It's honestly sad ...†

faw169 said:   How about the Kmart†gift cards I just bought? Can I still use them at Sears?†
††
1) Buying any Kmart or Sears gift cards, or relying on them to be around for warranties (i.e. lifetime Craftsman Tools) is risky.

2) If the gift card says you can use it at Sears, you are fine. †If not, use it quick.

UP next....Sears,,if they would only stop playing games with their bonus points and shipping rates and out of stock on most anything thats on sale..maybe they will stay in bidness.,,,truly a once great company that has fallen by the wayside...high prices, subpar service etc...i believe they will also close shop..the economy is terrible and that doesn't help...

MISTERCHEAP said:   A once truly great chain too. †I've never liked WalMart†as much as I liked Kmart†in their hey day.
As late as 1990, Kmart was the same size as WalMart.

In the 1980s, Kmart would sell everything, even 2x4 lumber.

Before the 2003 closures, in my metropolitan area, we had nine Kmarts (and in fact we had 12 at one point in the early 90s). We're down to four now, and of those four, three are in the last week of their store closing sale. The fourth one is still up and running... for now.

Which is interesting, because the one "cockroach" that remains, I've actually been visiting very frequently lately to use points and pick up orders, and I've been astonished at how well stocked the store has been. I've gotten used to Kmart stores being understocked, but this one almost has too many things out on the shelves. So much that things were overflowing into other departments. For example, 18 gallon plastic totes and pallets of bottled water (which seem to be the biggest things Kmart sells these days for some reason) were lined up all over the store in every department. Now that I look back, that is how the other stores that were about to close looked in their last year of operations.

This article seems to confirm that pattern, suggesting that the last holdout near me could be gone soon. To be honest, I'll sort of miss Kmart assuming it is true, though I probably would have never shopped there at all in the past 10 years if not for surprise points, 100% back in points offers, etc.

Not surprising at all. I went into a Kmart last week for the first time in several years and the place looked like a flea market.

I went into one k-Mart a while ago for a deal posted from here. Wow I thought I stepped back in time, I was half expecting VHS players and CRT TVs in the electronics section and the other people in the store looked like they hadn't left home since the 80s! It was very scetchy at best!

Even the local Sears did away with about 70% of their electronics section to add more washing machines and refrigerators. Not really someplace I plan on ever going to again. Kinda like their mess of a website with random retailers and all weird pricing schemes.

faw169 said:   How about the Kmart†gift cards I just bought? Can I still use them at Sears?†
††
†why would anybody in their right mind buy Kmart gift cards?

LetsGoMets1 said:   
††
†why would anybody in their right mind buy Kmart†gift cards?

††
I said the same thing to all gift cards.† Why trade cash can spend anywhere for a cash that cannot spend anywhere else.† There are so many traps with gift cards.

Kmart is so bad that there is no rep on the floor. Price is too expensive. No customers. If you think WalMart customers look bad, go check out Kmart's.

WorkerAnt said:   
LetsGoMets1 said:   
††
†why would anybody in their right mind buy Kmart†gift cards?

††
I said the same thing to all gift cards.† Why trade cash can spend anywhere for a cash that cannot spend anywhere else.† There are so many traps with gift cards.

C'mon, really? There are so many ways to get GCs at a discountólegitimate, low risk waysóand paid for with a CC to get cash back or points or whatever. I'm no fan of gift cards for the sake of gift cards, but I'm a fan of free money for sure. I'm not planning on buying any K-mart GCs soon, but am always on the lookout for certain gas, restaurant, or other retailer cards.

I'm fairly sure that K-Mart GCs are redeemable at Searz so they are safe. For now.

We were in Knoxville over the weekend and stopped by a K-Mart we used to shop at when we lived there. They were having a going out of business sale and things were 30% to 92% off. Jewelry was 85% to 92% off. Clothes 50% - 70%.

We bought a bed kit for 70% off.

Store was almost picked clean. It won't be long

Cheers

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017