• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I remember college. Staples for my diet included:

• Ramen noodles
  • Tomato soup and grilled cheese
  • Clam chowder and tuna sandwiches
  • Bologna/ham/meat and cheese sandwiches and chips

Since then, I've learned to cook a few more things. Being frugal (which in my case really translates into "cheap"), I've done quite well in maximizing how much I can get for a few bucks.

I thought it would be a good idea to share some good, cheap meals for any college students getting ready to go back to school in the Fall. I'll start us off with one of my favorites...

CHILI MAC

Ingredients:

• 1 can Chili Magic (Texas recipe if you like spice)
  • 2 cans of diced tomatoes
  • 1 can of tomato sauce (or one big can)
  • 1 yellow onion
  • 1 lb of ground turkey sausage (cheapest is a roll from WalMart )
  • 1 box of Mac-n-Cheese
  • Milk (for the Mac-n-Cheese)
  • Optional

• Spoonful of minced garlic
    • A few dashes of hot sauce
    • Splash of picante
    • Salt and pepper

Directions:

1. In a big wok, fry up the turkey sausage and sliced-up onion
  2. Once that's done, pour in cans of chili starter, tomatoes, and sauce
  3. (Optional: Add garlic, salt, pepper, picante, hot sauce to taste)
  4. Cover and let simmer for about a half hour (mainly you want the onions to be soft and the flavors cooked through)
  5. When the chili is done, make the Mac-n-Cheese.
  6. When the Mac-n-Cheese is done, fill bowl about half and half chili to Mac-n-Cheese.
  7. Nom nom nom.

This makes a LOT of chili. Overall, the cost for the chili is about $8. So it's about $10 for about 4-6 meals.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

put cheese, onions, tomato's, jalapeno's between two slices of bread.
put butter on the outsides of the two breads
toast it.

eat.

Ramen with an egg or two in it. Tasty. I still eat it occasionally.

Whatever the dollar store is selling at the moment.

kamalktk said:   Ramen with an egg or two in it. Tasty. I still eat it occasionally.

I remember watching a Japanese movie way back in the day about a woman who wanted to run a ramen shop. As a result, I started adding mushrooms, beefy pieces, green onion, and egg in my ramen soups. So good.

KayK said:   put cheese, onions, tomato's, jalapeno's between two slices of bread.
put butter on the outsides of the two breads
toast it.

eat.

I'm not sure whether this is a grilled cheese or a giant popper.

All you can eat Wednesday lunch at the local fried chicken place. Then mainly beer until next Wednesday.

VBMcGB said:   kamalktk said:   Ramen with an egg or two in it. Tasty. I still eat it occasionally.

I remember watching a Japanese movie way back in the day about a woman who wanted to run a ramen shop. As a result, I started adding mushrooms, beefy pieces, green onion, and egg in my ramen soups. So good.

Tampopo

This might expand your menu choices, Bo.  

kamalktk said:   
VBMcGB said:   
kamalktk said:   Ramen with an egg or two in it. Tasty. I still eat it occasionally.

Tampopo

Yes! That was it!

So, if we can get enough good recipes, I think we could actually make a FW college cookbook. Interested?

Sounds like fun.

I worked at Taco Bell for a period of time while in college. Employees ate free. The stuff wasn't worth paying for, but I did save money.

burgerwars said:   I worked at Taco Bell for a period of time while in college. Employees ate free. The stuff wasn't worth paying for, but I did save money.
How much weight did you lose with that colon cleanse?

kamalktk said:   burgerwars said:   I worked at Taco Bell for a period of time while in college. Employees ate free. The stuff wasn't worth paying for, but I did save money.
How much weight did you lose with that colon cleanse?

Yes it was a "natural laxative" but I didn't lose weight on the stuff.

I don't eat much there now. Maybe I go a couple times a year just to see what's up at T.B.

I knew an ex-army grunt who would swear by chicken ramen noodles with cheesits crumbled in.

A guy who I used with during college would get steamed rice cheap from restaurant then crack 2 eggs into it, stir, then eat it.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017