• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Hello all. I don't know if you remember this thread. We found a nice house after that and me and my wife liked it. We put an offer about 45 days ago and I closed yesterday, got funded today and will get the key tomorrow.
Now I am in market for Refrigerator, Washer and Dryer. I would like to have front loading washer and dryer and refrigerator with water/ice dispenser.
Can anybody suggest about where they bought it and what was the major considerations?

• I am thinking about going with Best Buy as they have 12 months no interest financing. I don't know what the FW crowd suggest.
  • Home Depot has 6 months financing only and same is the case for Lowe's as well.

Anybody has any idea about buying from Costco because of their warranty. I can pay cash but if I can 0% financing for sometime, it would not drain the cash I have.

Please help me out. The moving process will be on going till the 8th of August because of my business commitments. So I need something in a week or so. 

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
which tread?​

hunter2010 (Aug. 04, 2016 @ 5:33p) |

Little late on update as I had some business trade shows and moving from apartment to house was going on. I bought a Whi... (more)

mabrikh (Aug. 09, 2016 @ 5:53p) |

which model?

hunter2010 (Aug. 12, 2016 @ 12:16p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I've had good luck with Whirlpool, I go by the lowest price combined with the best ratings/reviews on Lowe's. I'm sure Consumer Reports is nice, but I would trust reviews on Lowe's over CR.

Don't forget a 10% coupon. You probably don't have the time to buy a bunch of discounted gift cards (stick to physical gift cards for Lowe's, NEVER buy gift cards from those reselling websites as there are lots of complaints about drained cards).

Bottom door freezers seem to be in fashion these days, french door too.

None of my business, but if buying new appliances for your house would "drain your cash", I would wait for those new appliances and hold onto your cash for emergencies, but I have learned in my 60 years that an emergency fund brings peace of mind. My peace of mind works around at least 6 months of cash that would cover 100% of my living expenses. Have not always practiced what I preach, but several times had wish I had. Especially when buying a a home. Poop happens. New girlfriends can sometimes come with expenses you did not foresee.

Congrats on the new home!!

If you already have something in the house, wait and use them until Black Friday sales. Personally, I am a Dave Ramsey Financial Peace University course graduate, so I don't finance anything. There's a ton of people getting rid of their front loaders because of the "mold issue". It's a simple remedy that you only need to keep the detergent drawer and front door open at all times to let the air vent through when not in use. Get sa cheap deal on a set that way through Facebook groups or Craigslist, LetGo, iOffer, OfferUp etc. I waited until black Friday and got a Samsung pair for $699 price matched to another store. If you need things right away, take a personal visit to some stores. Just fro going in Lowe's and Home Depot today, they had appliances in the aisles marked down because new models rolled out. Menards also keeps hidden specials in the back that you have to ask someone in the appliance department about. My daughter worked there and they would offer customers the back room (dock) deals if they couldn't afford something on the floor. They even sell the appliances they pick up from customers sometimes when they haul away the old ones, I kid you not. Congratulations on your home, stay debt free!

Great advice. Oftentimes, one discovers the benefits of the latest and greatest are not commensurate with the benefits. Good used washer/dryer - clean clothes. Double door refrigerator = cold food. Old working refrigerator = cold food. No cash in bank = broke. Cash in bank = peace of mind and money for cold food.

Recently I had to replace my kenmore refrigerator .Looked at all the stores discount houses etc.Found the best deal at Sears Outlet store.I got a nice stainless french door 28 c ft Samsung with all the bells and whistles for 1/3 of retail price.It was new had scratches on sides two very small dings on front.You don,t see the scratches because only the front shows in my kitchen .If you have one near you check it out all major appliances were scratch / dented many were still in box.Full warranty ,delivery ,set up.It's hard to beat.

Check Lowes for their return/scratch and dent. We got a Samsung top load and so far it is great.

One note on the Sears outlet store. Prices are not always "firm". They will come down in price especially if they have several of an item in stock.

ctujackbauer said:   I've had good luck with Whirlpool, I go by the lowest price combined with the best ratings/reviews on Lowe's. I'm sure Consumer Reports is nice, but I would trust reviews on Lowe's over CR.

Don't forget a 10% coupon. You probably don't have the time to buy a bunch of discounted gift cards (stick to physical gift cards for Lowe's, NEVER buy gift cards from those reselling websites as there are lots of complaints about drained cards).

Bottom door freezers seem to be in fashion these days, french door too.

OP, congratulations on your new house.
   I too have Whirlpool refrigerator and duet washer/dryer since 2009.  The washer and dryer are excellent (WFW9600TW and WED9600TW), worked well without any problems.
   Those are a bit more expensive at the time but I bought them from their partner discount website with a good discount. (actually about the same price if you can wait until Lowes or Home Depot have prices like Thanksgiving sale or other deep discounts.)
   For refrigerator I have the French door GX5FHDXVY.  I bought during energy star sales tax holiday so no sales taxes either.
   However the GX5FHDXVY has a bit of an issue with ice build-up after a few years.  It's working well otherwise but the ice is a bit annoying.
   I chose Whirlpool as it is best rated by Consumer Reports readers on brand reliability and my mom's personal experience.  (whirlpool washer that lasted 20+ years since my childhood.)
   The above is my personal experience and your experience may vary due to a lot of reasons. 
   Also,  as a Costco Member,  I'd like to mention that you can get almost unbeatable prices at Costco sometimes but the selections on models may be very limited.
   I looked at one pair of washer/dryer at Costco after I bought mine and the price beats everyone else's. However it was a more mid-range model not the top tier.  So pros and cons.

Costco has a great warranty policy. Lowes has the best PAID warranty extension policy. The whirlpool refrigerators are the least problematic. Samsung and LG are ok. For washer and dryers go LG "best at the moment", Sears Kenmore is better than avg, Samsung is ok. Read the warranty clauses carefully. For Ex. Lowes will cover a refrigerator's burn up compressor motor. Home Depot's exempts it, just like most everywhere else.

Lowe's will price match to B&M and many online retailers on top of sale prices. Holiday weekends are usually good appliance sale times. We have purchased warranties from both Lowe's (used it once, no issues) and Square Trade (did not need to use).

Refrigerator:  something made by Whirlpool, like Sears Kenmore (most), Costco Kirkland, Estate, Roper.  The fewer features, generally the more reliable.  Don't buy anything where the door seals cost more than a cheap top-freezer refrigerator because you have to buy the door to get the seal, i.e., some Samsungs.

Dryer:  about anything with contact moisture sensing, as opposed to temperature moisture sensing.  

Washer:  either a conventional (has tall agitator) Whirlpool-made direct drive top loader or front loader Whirlpool, Frigidaire, or LG

nl1720 said:   If you already have something in the house, wait and use them until Black Friday sales. Personally, I am a Dave Ramsey Financial Peace University course graduate, so I don't finance anything. 
But I hope you don't make your investments through one of his "recommended" financial advisers, all who happen to sell insurance-based investments and mutual funds with sales commissions (loads) attached to them.  Ramsey gets something like $50-100 a pop from them for each referral.

I have found couple of Sears Outlet center near where my business is and I will check it out today. Not only that, they have 25% friends and family on top of the discounts ending today. So I am hoping for the best.

Thank you for the suggestions and input. I really appreciate it.

jamesjmcgough1 said:   None of my business, but if buying new appliances for your house would "drain your cash", I would wait for those new appliances and hold onto your cash for emergencies, but I have learned in my 60 years that an emergency fund brings peace of mind. My peace of mind works around at least 6 months of cash that would cover 100% of my living expenses. Have not always practiced what I preach, but several times had wish I had. Especially when buying a a home. Poop happens. New girlfriends can sometimes come with expenses you did not foresee.

Congrats on the new home!!

Thank you for your suggestions. I have enough liquid asset to last me about year and half. So I am good on that part. I am going to use credit card to milk some benefits. I have some good businesses which are doing good and will be doing in the future (knock on the wood). 

mabrikh said:   Hello all. I don't know if you remember this thread. We found a nice house after that and me and my wife liked it. We put an offer about 45 days ago and I closed yesterday, got funded today and will get the key tomorrow.
Now I am in market for Refrigerator, Washer and Dryer. I would like to have front loading washer and dryer and refrigerator with water/ice dispenser.
Can anybody suggest about where they bought it and what was the major considerations?

• I am thinking about going with Best Buy as they have 12 months no interest financing. I don't know what the FW crowd suggest.
  • Home Depot has 6 months financing only and same is the case for Lowe's as well.

Anybody has any idea about buying from Costco because of their warranty. I can pay cash but if I can 0% financing for sometime, it would not drain the cash I have.

Please help me out. The moving process will be on going till the 8th of August because of my business commitments. So I need something in a week or so. 

Home Depot has 24 months financing available, you need to talk to the manager and also you can get  home depot 15-20% off coupon on eBay for $35 - $40

I suggest you research appliances at Consumer Reports.
I suggest you use a Citi card to add two years warranty and Price Rewind. Adding 2 year warranty far surpasses financing...

Sears has good deals on washer dryer occasionally with bonus points offers

if you spend $2500/yr you qualify for vip level and get free stuff (craftsman tools etc) every quarter and $5 oil changes, etc

Washer - look for energy efficient top loader. And look at the time for a full wash. Samsungs tend to be EXTREMELY long.

For a fridge, I'd go for a french door. The freezer in the bottom is the most efficient. Adding an exterior water dispenser can cost you a good chunk of change more than one without, but it's the convenience of cold filtered water.

Good luck...

I've had two LG refrigerators and would recommend them without hesitation, especially if you are at all concerned with noise. Both have been nearly silent and have worked flawlessly.

If you're going to buy from the big box store, get a Chase Sapphire credit card and buy the scratch and dent ones from Sear Outlet, then once the minimum spending requirement meet, redeem it the point for $550 (assuming you don't plan to travel with the points and have not had the card previously + not apply to 5+ new cards recently).

I had a Whirlpool repairman came to my house to fix my 1 week old dishwasher, he told me appliances nowadays are built to fail. That's why they push so hard on the extended warranty. Consumers need to know how to use appliances probably and perform regular maintenance. Read the owner's manual.

jamesjmcgough1 said:   None of my business, but if buying new appliances for your house would "drain your cash", I would wait for those new appliances and hold onto your cash for emergencies, but I have learned in my 60 years that an emergency fund brings peace of mind.

Particularly true for a first time home buyer, as you are.  There will be expenses you did not foresee, guaranteed.
The recommendations here will vary depending on the level of income, clothes you wear and desire to put up with inconveniences.  I would consider skipping the dryer and getting a rack to dry your clothes.  I do own a dryer and don't use it much to save money, but that's just me.  If you have to dress up for work, it also changes your situation.  Go to your local library and check our Consumer Reports reviews.

+1 for Sears outlet. you can add a long warranty on it and still come out ahead.

Question.
will a home warranty cover those items? even if they did not come with the house?

if it does, buy the home warranty and keep your cheap stuff/buy off craigslist.

as a side note. i tried to convince my wife a while back, and they are popular in Europe, but a combo washer/dryer (all in one, not a top/bottom) is the way to go.
it is only 1 load at a time, but when you come back, that load is completely finished. no musty smell or transferring to worry about.

HKStallion said:   as a side note. i tried to convince my wife a while back, and they are popular in Europe, but a combo washer/dryer (all in one, not a top/bottom) is the way to go.
it is only 1 load at a time, but when you come back, that load is completely finished. no musty smell or transferring to worry about.

Cheapest recommendation? 

Avoid Samsung top HE See my other thread.

which tread?​

Little late on update as I had some business trade shows and moving from apartment to house was going on. I bought a Whirlpool refrigerator from Sears Outlet as some of you suggested. I got it for 50% off because it had little ding on side which is hidden now when I put in my home. The original price was $2299.00 and Home Depot/Lowe's had it at $1699 for a week. I checked Sears Outlet in SoCal and found two. One was in bad shape with lots of dings and another had one only.
I appreciate all the suggestions here. I bought Washer and Dryer from Home Depot as I didn't see new ones in Sears Outlet.

Overall, Sears Outlet suggestion was spot on. Now I am a big fan now

Now I need Dining Table set and Sofa for guest room. And a lawn trimmer that I have been trying to find a good review and good price.

which model?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017