Chase UR redemption on Amazon to be devalued

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Beginning September 1st, the redemption rate when using Chase Ultimate Rewards at Amazon checkout is being reduced to 0.8˘ per point (currently it is 1˘ per point).

Everyone should already know not to use this feature, since you can redeem for a statement credit at 1˘ per point and earn cashback on your Amazon purchase, but with this change it will be an even worse value to redeem for Amazon purchases.

http://twocents.lifehacker.com/the-amazon-rewards-for-your-chase...

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

doveroftke said:   Beginning September 1st, the redemption rate when using Chase Ultimate Rewards at Amazon checkout is being reduced to 0.8˘ per point (currently it is 1˘ per point).

Everyone should already know not to use this feature, since you can redeem for a statement credit at 1˘ per point and earn cashback on your Amazon purchase, but with this change it will be an even worse value to redeem for Amazon purchases.

http://twocents.lifehacker.com/the-amazon-rewards-for-your-chase... 

I never use this or any of those shop with points deals.  The only exception is when they were giving away $15 or $20 just for using shop with points.

When did any of you directly get such an email? I have not.

Thanks for the heads up. I zeroed out my points on a purchase a or so week ago. Will be using my other reward cards.

Why am I not surprised? Chase has become user-unfriendly over the past 12 months, in line with announced plans to shrink employees and other costs.

It's also easy to transfer points as cash to a chase savings or checking account if you have one. They don't do redemption checks anymore.

JW10 said:   When did any of you directly get such an email? I have not.

I got the email this morning (7/29).

Thanks for this. I noticed when reloading an Amazon gift card recently that there was no option to use UR points when paying with my Chase Freedom Visa. I have used them in the past to pay for a NEW gift card, but had never tried reloading an existing card with them. Didn't realize it couldn't be done.

Chase had a specific Amazon Visa card that awarded 3% on Amazon purchases and 1% on everything else.  I had it and used it until Amazon Prime offered me a better deal--the Amazon Prime Store Card from Synchrony Bank that gave 5% off on all Amazon purchases.  

I am sure that neither of them have interest rates that are anything to write home about, but since I pay the bill in full that's irrelevant to me.  

Notice email was dated July 29th, 2016

I got the email yesterday.

My thought was:
who in their right mind would redeem the points for less value for Amazon purchase when they can obviously cash out more for cash?!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016