• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »

Will be a little sad  One of the few place I can find my Nugo Dark bars.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Well boo. They had some good sales. I'll miss drugstore.com.

another casualty of the dismal economy..

icewinsagain said:   Really......

They are usually about $5 higher a box on Amazon, and I have bought from jet, but they are hit and miss.  drugstore.com usually offered 20% off nutrition bars and nobody else could touch that deal.

It is ironic that folks are mentioning the Nugo bars -- I had never heard of those bars until yesterday, when a relative of mine who needs a large amount of daily protein for a health condition asked me to try to find some online for him (they aren't available in our area at B&M stores, as far as he knows) -- so I checked at drugstore.com and saw that the kind he asked me to buy, "Nugo Slim" in the raspberry flavor, was available on drugstore.com at a good price, and I told him I'd get him a trial box -- but then, late last night when I went to place the order for him, they were totally gone from the drugstore.com website, not even listed as "temporarily unavailable" or "on backorder".

The Nugo "Slim" is the only line of Nugo bars that will work for his requirements, but I did see that there were several other kinds/ranges of Nugo bars still there on the drugstore.com inventory, in case folks here want to snap them up.

Sheesh, this is too bad about drugstore.com -- there were things I could find that that I couldn't get anywhere else.

I really don't like Walgreens. com or the B&M Walgreen's stores -- always the most expensive in our town for anything.

I learned today that the Drugstore dollars/points program will be in place until August 13, so you can still gain the 1% back or whatever it was until that time.They say that the points program will close entirely by September 30th, so it seems the site will be trading until then.

I was on the drugstore.com site today because I sent them a return last month that they haven't acknowledged yet, but it was confirmed as delivered by UPS weeks ago, and I'm in communications with their customer service about it.   They told me to give it 30 days... I hope that their company is still in business by the time they get around to crediting me for the $40.

tgersinthewhhouse said:   another casualty of the dismal economy..
What do you base this comment on?

Walgreen's bought them , incorporated the technology, and now finds it a distraction.

EradicateSpam said:   
tgersinthewhhouse said:   another casualty of the dismal economy..
  What do you base this comment on?
Walgreen's bought them , incorporated the technology, and now finds it a distraction.

What technology did Walgreens incorporate from drugstore.com? 

I can't even SEE the Walgreens site on my browser because they've got so many ads and trackers which my browser blocks.  The few times I have tried to order from them because they were the only place that had what I needed, and I turned all my blockers off, I still couldn't see their site entirely, plus it was laggy, ugly, and annoying to use.  And stuff was expensive.
In contrast, I've never had a problem viewing/using the drugstore.com site.

Didn't Walgreens buy the British Drugstore giant Boots a couple of years ago, or something?  Boots has really gone down in the public's eyes in the UK with the current owners.  Boots recently was exposed as bribing/forcing pharmacists to sign up x customers a month to something that they didn't really need, in order to weasel extra money from the UK government's National Health Service -- I forget the details, but it was something like that.

from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boots_UK

"On 19 June 2012, it was announced that Walgreens, the United States' largest drug store chain, would purchase a 45% stake in Alliance Boots for US$6.7 billion.
The deal was said to be a long term plan to give maximum exposure to both brands, Boots more so in the US and, Walgreens more so in the UK and in China through Boots' presence in that market.
The deal gave the option to complete a full merger of the organisations within three years costing an extra $9.5bn.[24]
Walgreens confirmed on 6 August 2014 that it would purchase the remaining 55% and merge with Alliance Boots to form a new holding company, Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc.[25]
Walgreens and Boots both become subsidiaries of the new company on 31 December 2014.

In April 2016, the Pharmacists' Defence Association stated that company managers were exploiting the NHS by insisting that each outlet carry out medicine use reviews, even if patients didn’t need them.
The NHS pays £28 per review up to a maximum of 400 per store.[26]
The Guardian stated that the General Pharmaceutical Council was poised to investigate.[27]
The paper subsequently noted a letter purporting to be from an "independent pharmacist" criticising its stance on the issue which it identified as coming from one of the firm's vice presidents.[28]
 Following the Guardian reports, Boots announced the departure of UK operations director, Simon Roberts, in June 2016."

For the people who buy Nugo bars, this weekend I have seen some of the varieties at pretty good prices at swansonvitamins.com and luckyvitamin.com -- generally quite a bit less than Amazon, at least for the flavors I was looking up.

For example, Nugo Slim espresso flavor, 12 bars, at Amazon was something like $28 and at Lucky was something like $19
(of course, that's before shipping and taxes, which will vary by the buyer's retailer memberships such as Amazon Prime, the total order amount, and the buyer's state)

FYI, Swanson always has a coupon code or two available out there on the internet (sometimes it's 10% off and free shipping after $50, sometimes the 10% off isn't until $75 is reached, sometimes they have shipping after $25 for free or for $1.99; it varies). I don't know if there are coupon codes out there for Lucky because I've never ordered from them.

We have a blog article up about it. There is an interesting article linked in it where the author argues that this is going to be terrible for their SEO efforts.

your blogger says that they'll have massive clearance specials, but i wonder about that.

i checked their prices last week, and everything i regularly buy from them (it's on the "my list" feature there) had all the usual/constant discounts/sales REMOVED, so that it was all listed full price. i was surprised, since they'd already announced that they are shutting the companies down.

maybe they will shift a lot of the merchandise to their walgreen's online and B&M inventory?

maybe the pricing will go lower again after their aug 13th shutdown of the points program.

oppidum said:   
i checked their prices last week, and everything i regularly buy from them (it's on the "my list" feature there) had all the usual/constant discounts/sales REMOVED, so that it was all listed full price...

Well now, that's interesting and really good to know. Thanks.

With barely over a week to go, the deals aren't exactly staggering. Most of the items are the same price I've always paid.

They must be planning to continue to sell the inventory on Walgreens.com after the shutdown. I was ready to stock up on some things...

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
    Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016