• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Obviously this is only applicable to a few FW readers, but this will impact me, and probably some other folks here. 

-----
from:  https://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/aug/01/bbc-iplayer-tv-licence-iplayer-loophole 

"People who only watch BBC shows on catchup will be legally required to have a TV licence from 1 September, when new legislation to close the so-called “iPlayer loophole” comes into force.

[...]  The changes apply to anyone watching BBC programmes on catchup through any device and third-party services such as Sky, Virgin or BT.

However, while a TV licence is currently required to watch live broadcasts from other terrestrial providers such as ITV and Channel 4, the new rules do not apply to non-BBC on-demand services such as ITV Hub or Channel 4’s All4.

BBC radio content listened to on-demand on iPlayer is also not covered by the legislation...."

---
Note:  you aren't allowed to buy a TV Licence unless you have a current residential street address in the UK.

I don't know if the BBC iPlayer will require inputting a licence number upon log-in starting Sept. 1, or how they will police that.

Looks like Channel 4 and ITV aren't (yet) going to require a TV Licence for their catch-up tv, so that's something.

-----
BBC Radio remains free to listen to worldwide.  This is the schedule for Radio 4, just click back from it to see what's on the other channels:  http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/programmes/schedules#on-now 

Sky News (tv channel) is free in the US (and probably worldwide) via their website and requires no special player or log-in:  http://news.sky.com/watch-live  

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Thanks oppidum, I hope there's a way around it, maybe I'll have to use a relatives UK address or license number?? I'm wondering if they'll be a limit of how many devices per TV License? If not I see a business opportunity

I don't think it will bother anyone outside the UK, it's unenforceable..you won't have to enter details to use iplayer

steve1954 said:   I don't think it will bother anyone outside the UK, it's unenforceable..you won't have to enter details to use iplayer

Do you have confirmation that no details will need to be entered after Sept. 1?

Channel 4 already requires a log in, even though they don't seem to do much with it after that.

The iPlayer already has a log in system, which I registered with some time ago, but when I twigged that I could use the iPlayer without it, I stopped logging in there.

It seems to me that it would be pretty simple for the iPlayer to require people to use the existing log in system, and to add into their personal details their TV Licence number, which could be cross-checked for accuracy before the log in were allowed to proceed.
(If the TV Licencing electronic database is up to snuff, which one can't assume, of course). 

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017