• filter:
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
This is just my review of the ringplus service (https://ringplus.net ). Initially I was suspicious, but I decided to give it a try using their Truly Free 4 plan (no credit card, 100min/100SMS/100MB data for 30 days). The signup process went smoothly, and I was able to activate the service without issues in a few minutes. I was concerned about coverage, but I live in Los Angeles, and the Sprint coverage is good here, and actually at work I got better coverage than on T-Mobile. In order to offer free service you will have to hear some advertisements/news/music while the recipient phone rings, but that does not bother me, and the advertisements/news/music stops as soon as the other party answers the call. There is no delay in the conversation (same as on T-Mobile), but there is a 1-2s delay between the time you place the call and the time that the recipient phone rings (that is not an issue for me). I was concerned that they would not release the ESN properly from the Sprint network once I cancel the service, so I tested it out by canceling the free plan, and actually they released the ESN right away and with no issues (the service was disconnected few seconds after I cancelled the service online, and the ESN was released right away according to the online tool). Right now I think that the service is great, and I plan to continue testing it out by subscribing to one of their plans with no monthly charging. I will have to pay a one time fee, but that is not much considering the service they offer (e.g. 3000min/3000text/3000MB /month for one time charge of  $30-40. There are overage charges, but I do not expect I will exceed the allocation limits in any given month, so I do not expect monthly charges). So far they overly exceeded my expectations, and I hope they will keep doing so. I read several negative reviews about Ringplus, so I tested out all the issues that I could find (coverage, ESN release) and so far I have been positively surprised and impressed.  I am new to this site, so please be gentle. 

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I did some test to measure the lag. I added my Ringplus phone to my Google voice account (I did not activate the Sprint ... (more)

dariobuttari (Aug. 05, 2016 @ 8:19p) |

By the way, I have read reports of terrible lags (2s?) using Ringplus without Google voice. That is not my case, but I a... (more)

dariobuttari (Aug. 06, 2016 @ 2:18p) |

I started with Ring+ 2 months ago. I signed up initially with the totally free plan for 1 month as a test, using an old ... (more)

patton14 (Sep. 18, 2016 @ 7:13a) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
My whole family has been on Ringplus since April. Same experience as you describe. We get good coverage in my town, with fast LTE data. The calls have a slight delay, but not an issue for most conversations. If I'm making a long call to family, I am more likely to use a landline. For the price, it's unbeatable. I've saved hundreds of dollars since April over my prior Sprint bill (which was very low) and we get more data.

rated:
We've seen 10 seconds from call to ring at times and sometimes some lag in the conversation. It's not ideal but it's good enough for the light use we put them to.

rated:
R+ can work very well where Sprint coverage works. I live outside LA county and Sprint coverage is good in some spots and non-existent in others. Stronger signal in some places than what one gets with Verizon. However, Verizon generally works everywhere. I've had latency issues with R+ on voice calls. I've used R+ since October last but not as a primary service due to spotty coverage. Good for extra data when needed.

rated:
I use R+ as my secondary phone relaly good. SoCal area. =)

rated:
the member plus fees and tethering fees are killers,,,thats where there money is...

rated:
drop $15 to buy the sim... this will sux if it doesn't work.

rated:
WorkerAnt said:   drop $15 to buy the sim... this will sux if it doesn't work.

Wha? You can get a free SIM card at a local Apple Store easily. (got 3 two weeks ago). YMMV at a Sprint store or Best Buy.  Then it's a matter of waiting for a good plan.  Put two kids plans on them and doing good.

rated:
My review: It is hard to find a better deal for freemium cell service than what is offered by RingPlus. RingPlus provides a generous allotment of voice, text, and LTE data for $0 per month. As long as you do not have any overages based on your selected plan, it will be $0 per month. Also, it is real cellular voice minutes and not voip.

Note: Providing honest review for RingPlus bonus data allotment. 

rated:
I signed on to Ringplus some months ago to test them out, as they have some impressive offerings for free monthly plans. My initial experience could have been a lot better, but on the whole they have some incredible offerings for cell service, including a new set of plans which lets you use Sprint's Voice network unadulterated. Their website/interface for account management is absolutely beautiful, and super easy to navigate.

As a former Sprint, and current T mobile customer, I find it amazing how limited and difficult phone carrier websites are with regard to accessing and modifying your account. The Ringplus dashboard is big, bright, colorful. You have extraordinary ability to control, modify, and monitor almost every aspect of your account and usage, and it is presented in a clear and concise manner. The actual service is fairly good. Voice is not 100% as it routes through Ringplus so there can be some delay or clarity issues, but by and large it works well most of the time. Recently they've even added a group of plans that eliminates routing out of Sprint, so if you need superb voice you can get it (although this is not available as part of a free plan). Device availability is a lot broader than many R+ competitors, and activation is fast and easy. Fees for porting are typically waived, and if you want to change phones, numbers, etc, the cost is only a few dollars, which is something I especially like.

As a newcomer its important to understand the importance of account/line activation, "top ups", and the promotional plans. The "good" free monthly plans are offered in the form of promotions which last anywhere from a few days to a few hours. Lately these plans have been offering up to 3 GB / month with no monthly charge, which is incredible. You typically cannot upgrade to these plans, so if you activate a new line, you will need to activate another line to take advantage of one of the promotions, and you will have to deposit a new credit (top up) into the account.

All in all R+ is a fantastic offering for anyone looking for a cheap/secondary cell phone service. The data offerings for free plans are extremely generous, and the "traditional" voice plans are priced about half of what even a lower cost carrier would charge you, for the same amount of service. Why pay $30-50/ month for a 3 GB plan when R+ will do the same for $30 total?

rated:
I've used ringplus for over 8 months now. It's been great, especially considering the $0/month charge. I was on tmobile pay as you go before, and would always add more money to keep the funds I had from expiring, but I'd never use the phone enough to actually use what i paid for. Ringplus has been a great alternative. I don't make many calls, but the text and data have been good. It took a little research to figure out how to get a phone that I knew would work properly on Sprint, but you can also buy phones from ringplus, and they even have a loaner phone program, and a classifieds section where you can buy used phones that have ringplus plans on them.

I intend to get the rest of my family signed up on ringplus as well. If you can be patient, they continually offer limited time "flash" promotions with great allotments, but their basic free plans are good too. Best basic plan that's always available is 1,000 mins/test/mbs each month for an initial "top up" of $27, then $0 per month. Only if you exceed your allotment will your top up balance be charged, and once your top up balance is used up, you get charged another $27.

rated:
If you find a better FREE cell phone provider, then by all means jump over to it.

Ring+ works well for us, we are on lines with 3000-3750 of each per line, we both use LG phones, a Stylo and a Volt 2. Out area has great Sprint coverage.

rated:
  I can confirm that you can get a free SIM card at the local Apple Store. Just ask for a Sprint nano SIM. So far I have got 2 of them (one two weeks ago, and another one one week ago). I just mentioned that I am currently on T-Mobile (true), and that I am considering trying out the Sprint service on my factory unlocked iPhone (also true). They gave me the SIM card with no issue.  

rated:
dariobuttari said:   
  I can confirm that you can get a free SIM card at the local Apple Store. Just ask for a Sprint nano SIM. So far I have got 2 of them (one two weeks ago, and another one one week ago). I just mentioned that I am currently on T-Mobile (true), and that I am considering trying out the Sprint service on my factory unlocked iPhone (also true). They gave me the SIM card with no issue.  

I already ordered and it shipped.  I read and read and nobody mention about the SIM.  Saw it on a website saying risking $15 to buy the sim to try out RingPlus so I didn't think about going to Apple Store.  $15 lesson.  Thanks guys for the reply.

rated:
My review: Ring+ has unbeatable promotional pricing. There have never been phantom charges, but I make sure my account never drops to zero. I'm letting family and friends know, so they can save on cell service.. Tuesday flash sales are the new normal.

rated:
Using Ring+ as my secondary cell for 6 months now. Call qualities are not great but can't beat the price!

rated:
I have been using R+ as my primary cell phone, even for business for about 9 months. I paid an initial $10 top up and not one penny since then. I get more than enough minutes, texts, and data for my (fairly light) needs, and tethering for when I need it. Call quality and coverage has been good -- Sprint must have a pretty good network in my area. There may be a small delay, but I also use Google Voice and I think that causes the delay more than R+. I am very very happy to be saving hundreds of dollars a year.

rated:
don't they have yearly membership fees.

rated:
post deleted,

rated:
I am confused. In https://ringplus.net/ it mentions free plan.

http://i64.tinypic.com/i6ywax.png

I am confused about the "auto top up". I have googled it and my understanding (for the Michelson plan) is:

1) Start with $9.00 + tax for the top up. So your account has $9.
2) Monthly price is $0 and you get 250 min, 250 sms, 250 mms and 250 MB LTE EVERY month.
3) If you go over the allotted min/sms/mms/data in a month, you get charged by 5 cents per unit (whatever that unit is) and it is taken from the account for remainder of this month. (You get the allocated min/sms/mms/data again next month for free.)
4) Once the account balance reaches 0, it will auto top up for $9 by using the credit card on file.

Is my understanding correct? So if one never go over the allotted min/sms/mms/data in a month, then it is free except for the upfront $9+tax. This seems too good to be true even though I understand that this is ad supported.

For the Lawrence plan, it is the same except the auto top up is $27+tax and it is 1000 min, 1000 sms, 1000 mms and 250 MB LTE EVERY month for $0 monthly price. I am even more confused. Why would anyone choose Michelson over Lawrence? The only difference is $18 start up cost assuming one never pays overage.

There must be something that I am not understanding. What am I missing?

rated:
Why are all the reviews new members? Hmmmm....

rated:
I'm an old member and have been with RingPlus several months and have moved my family over with the exception of my daughter who is about to move. I've had a good experience and only lost service when traveling through the mountains of Vermont and an area in KY where my Verizon phone lost service as well.

I've waited for special promos for every phone. I had the Beach Ball with 5,000 everything and didn't think it would get any better than that, but last week they had a promo with 8,000 everything. I had a phone and sim ready and my son now has way more than he needs or will ever use when I send him away to college in two weeks.

Edited to say that my husband HATES the ads, but when asked if he would like to move to one of their plans for about $11 a month so that he wouldn't have to hear the ads, he balked!  I don't like the ads, either, but will put up with them for a free phone service. 

rated:
MelissaB said:   I'm an old member and have been with RingPlus several months and have moved my family over with the exception of my daughter who is about to move. I've had a good experience and only lost service when traveling through the mountains of Vermont and an area in KY where my Verizon phone lost service as well.

I've waited for special promos for every phone. I had the Beach Ball with 5,000 everything and didn't think it would get any better than that, but last week they had a promo with 8,000 everything. I had a phone and sim ready and my son now has way more than he needs or will ever use when I send him away to college in two weeks.

Edited to say that my husband HATES the ads, but when asked if he would like to move to one of their plans for about $11 a month so that he wouldn't have to hear the ads, he balked!  I don't like the ads, either, but will put up with them for a free phone service. 

I used to be ok with ads.  They were meaningful.  Lately I have seen so many ads that complete have no clue what it was about.  I don't mind meaningful informative ads, but I hate clueless ads.

rated:
I signed up 3 months ago, did not port my number, instead got the number that was assigned by ringplus.  Pretty happy so far, only issue is when I make a call, previous owner's name still shows up.  Anyone know how to update the number on caller id?  Thanks

rated:
dealchk said:   I signed up 3 months ago, did not port my number, instead got the number that was assigned by ringplus.  Pretty happy so far, only issue is when I make a call, previous owner's name still shows up.  Anyone know how to update the number on caller id?  Thanks
  Google "CNAM" which is the name of that functionality.

rated:
edwardshelby said:   I am confused. ... Is my understanding correct? So if one never go over the allotted min/sms/mms/data in a month, then it is free except for the upfront $9+tax. This seems too good to be true even though I understand that this is ad supported.

For the Lawrence plan, it is the same except the auto top up is $27+tax and it is 1000 min, 1000 sms, 1000 mms and 250 MB LTE EVERY month for $0 monthly price. I am even more confused. Why would anyone choose Michelson over Lawrence? The only difference is $18 start up cost assuming one never pays overage.

Big talker vs. not so much a talker If you never deplete your top up then you will never pay another penny.

rated:
javaman2003 said:   don't they have yearly membership fees.
  Only Member+ pays yearly membership fees or some other time based Member+ fees except for those who have lifetime membership. Otherwise you don't as a general member.

rated:
mathfaster said:   
edwardshelby said:   I am confused. ... Is my understanding correct? So if one never go over the allotted min/sms/mms/data in a month, then it is free except for the upfront $9+tax. This seems too good to be true even though I understand that this is ad supported.

Big talker vs. not so much a talker If you never deplete your top up then you will never pay another penny.

Thanks. I guess to try it out, next step is to find a phone. I understand getting a prepaid Sprint is no longer an option.

rated:
mathfaster said:   
  Only Member+ pays yearly membership fees or some other time based Member+ fees except for those who have lifetime membership. Otherwise you don't as a general member.

So as a general member can i get those high data plans, something like 4000 minutes,text and GB data?

rated:
javaman2003 said:   
mathfaster said:   

So as a general member can i get those high data plans, something like 4000 minutes,text and GB data?

Depends on the plan. Promo should tell you what is required as far as membership/upgrades. Same goes for their ongoing plans. I haven't kept up as every week brings another plan and I barely use what I've got which is a 3200/3200/3200 plan.

rated:
Thank you all for the discussion. I have a prepaid Sprint phone which activated on r+. I know now they are no longer allow. I wonder if I cancel the service and
later on can I activate again with another R+ plan?

Also, for new phone now we have to buy unlock phone such as iphone?

Thank you!

rated:
I use the service for backup incase I forget my phone. I leave it in my cars glove box for emergency's. I leave it turned off for keeping the battery charged. Another reason I do get several calls a day from unknown callers. For backup purposes it's ideal.

rated:
thebeechboy said:   I use the service for backup incase I forget my phone. I leave it in my cars glove box for emergency's. I leave it turned off for keeping the battery charged. Another reason I do get several calls a day from unknown callers. For backup purposes it's ideal.
  Just don't forget to make at least 2 calls every 60 days so they don't downgrade you to one of the free plans like they did recently.

rated:
UPdownLoAD said:   Why are all the reviews new members? Hmmmm....
 Just folks trying to meet the social media requirements for the Double Bring It Over 2 plan & waitlist. https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1517417/?showmessage=19586683

rated:
I've been using RingPlus since March 2016. The coverage is very comparable to Verizon where we live so the transition has been very smooth for me. I was skeptical for months about the Freemium mobile service model but based on the past 5 months of real use-call me a big believer.

rated:
I've been on Ringplus since Sept '15. It has become my daily driver. Now T-Mobile 'Pay as you Go' is my backup. No more 10 cents per text message or 10 cents per minute!! And getting data is something I didn't have before .. I love it!

rated:
Ringplus has it's pros and cons, but I think the Pros greatly outweigh the Cons. No monthly payments and more minutes, texts, and data than I can use in a month. Broke even a long time ago on the top up, so everything is free from here on out. I don't care if I hear a song or ringing when I make a call, however the latency can make conversations tough at times. Could be that I go through Google Voice. You don't have a lot to lose to see how it works in your area, they have the truly free plan for 30 days and if a great deal didn't come along during that 30 days that you could switch to, I'd be really surprised.

rated:
I have been with Ringplus for half a year and haven't paid a cent for cell phone service except the initial topup. Texting and data are great, calls have a little lag but not a big deal. Overall, I am satisfied with Ringplus and for the money that I am saving each month.

rated:
dariobuttari said:   
  I can confirm that you can get a free SIM card at the local Apple Store. Just ask for a Sprint nano SIM. So far I have got 2 of them (one two weeks ago, and another one one week ago). I just mentioned that I am currently on T-Mobile (true), and that I am considering trying out the Sprint service on my factory unlocked iPhone (also true). They gave me the SIM card with no issue.  

Same here. I stopped by, told them I was looking at switching my kids iPhone 5s to Sprint and they gave me 3 cards. Nothing to sign, nothing to check. My sister went later and got two. 2 minutes in and out...

Skipping 9 Messages...
rated:
I started with Ring+ 2 months ago. I signed up initially with the totally free plan for 1 month as a test, using an old Samsung dumb phone. The Signal was good and voice quality was fine. I got more bars at work than the T-Mobile or AT&T networks. I then purchased a re-manufactured compatible smart phone off eBay for $100, guaranteed to work with Ring+, and it did. I waited for one of their promos, and then switched to one of the Mad plans, which connect directly to Sprint, no Ring+ servers involved, no music or ads when calling out. For a one-time fee of $38 ($44 & change after taxes) I get 4,750 minutes, 4,750 SMS texts, 4,750 MMS texts, and 4,750 MBytes (that's 4.75 Gig) of data every month. The benefits of the Mad plan without the recurring monthly costs. Watch for the promos, which occur multiple times a month. I was charged $1.99 to change out phones, which was taken out of the $38. Porting of my phone number from T-Mobile was free with the promo, and it completed in less than 24 hours.
Based on my years of cell phone use history, I will never approach my monthly limits, so I'm not concerned about any overage charges eating up the initial $38 fee, which has $36.01 left. I don't travel much any more, so Sprint coverage is plenty good for me.
Also, the monthly allocations increase by 250 each month, until they top out at 6,000 each after 5 months.
Even after factoring in the cost of the phone, I'm saving money starting in the 4th month. And I'm very happy with the service.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016