Recommendations for noise-cancelling headphones for travel?

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Anyone have any recommendations for noise-cancelling headphones, primarily for use on an airplane? Smaller is better, and I don't need wireless. No earbuds, no Bose, no Beats. 

These are at the top of my list right now:
http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=10010 
https://www.amazon.com/Cancelling-Over-ear-Headphones-Microphone...

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

there have been other threads over the years on this subject, which you could check out for their suggestions

i have found the overall trends within Amazon reviews to be reliable for this type of product

No idea on the other brand, but Monoprice makes good products. This model has been proven to be a solid competitor to the Bose Quiet Comfort. There is a newer version, however I noticed that it doesn't fold flat, but folds inwards it seems.

Velodyne at newegg

Not in stock right now but show up regularly around $30

letsspendlotsofmoney said:   Velodyne at newegg  

Not in stock right now but show up regularly around $30

Thanks...it's $38 on AMZN and reviews are OK so I might give it a try.

I fly 100,000+ miles/year, and I have no idea why someone would want to fly with big headphones of any brand, which are the equivalent of wearing an Egg McMuffin on each ear.

They also take up a ridiculous amount of room in your carry-on bag.

otaymiester said:   I fly 100,000+ miles/year, and I have no idea why someone would want to fly with big headphones of any brand, which are the equivalent of wearing an Egg McMuffin on each ear.

They also take up a ridiculous amount of room in your carry-on bag.

I don't fly that much, and I don't find earbuds comfortable for extended periods of time so that leaves larger headphones. I've had the same pair of Coby noise cancelling headphones for many years (until they finally broke a few days ago), they fold relatively flat and I've never had a problem fitting them in my backpack.

Do you have recommendations for more compact noise-cancelling headphones that are not earbuds?

Why not Bose?  Too expensive? 

Just curious why you're ruling them out.

BWS said:   Why not Bose?  Too expensive? 
Yep, I prefer to pay for product quality rather than marketing. But if there's a really good deal on Bose I would consider it.

I have been using the Audio Technica brand - ATH-ANC7B for the last 6+ years and work great. They are bulky if you travel a lot but haven't found a smaller ear buds or set of headphones that provide the same quality.

jayK said:   
BWS said:   Why not Bose?  Too expensive? 

Yep, I prefer to pay for product quality rather than marketing. But if there's a really good deal on Bose I would consider it.

It's the only Bose product that I will same this about: They are worth the price especially if you travel a lot by plane or train.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017