Home Depot not accepting store credit online anymore - beware of buying "GC" online and/or purchasing online with credit

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
This is similar to the thread on Lowe's found HERE. I went to Home Depot last night to purchase a vanity that was on sale (and ended yesterday). I found out this item was only available online. "No problem" I thought and one of the store reps began to use the online system to help me complete the purchase. He couldn't finish the process because it wouldn't accept my "store credit" (which looks just like a gift card but says "store credit" instead) and said I could complete the purchase myself at home or on my mobile phone. "Weird" I thought, but ok I'll try it - didn't work! I was only told online that store credit could only be used for purchases in the store. So I went BACK to the store, and the same rep tried to "special order" using their internal system but couldn't find the same item. Then a manager came over and said my store credit can't work at ALL on items that are exclusive to HD online - and this policy began at the end of June this year. I was calm but very irritated. The back of my store credit cards (INCLUDING the one I received that morning for returning a couple items) says that these cards can be used both in store AND online. It doesn't give Home Depot the right to revoke that according to the terms on the back of those cards.

I called Corporate and they said this was a new policy and nothing could be done. I believe this is unjust - only because the terms on the card say otherwise AND because this wasn't communicated to me beforehand via email or otherwise. I'm "stuck" with about $1000 of store credit, which is fine because I'll use it in-store eventually, but I'm limited now to what I can order.

That's my story, and also a warning to those who might use giftcardbin.com, raise, or other "gift card" 3rd sellers - they might sell (and HAVE sold) "store credit cards" instead of "gift cards" which won't work online. But they don't differentiate online...

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Really?  You can have a fake ID made up for a few $$$, it won't pass Law enforcement, but the home depot swipe machine? ... (more)

forbin4040 (Oct. 13, 2016 @ 1:09p) |

IDs have pretty sophisticated measures now to prevent easy duplication.  Maybe HD doesn't look closely, but that would b... (more)

michaeljc70 (Oct. 13, 2016 @ 1:16p) |

Right, the whole concept of issuing 'store credit' with less flexibility on a Gift Card as payment return is bullshit.  ... (more)

MISTERCHEAP (Oct. 13, 2016 @ 6:39p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Sounds more like they have you on some kind of 'list. You can't use store credit on HD exclusive items(That's about half the place)
That doesn't sound right.

No - I'm definitely not on a "list" (at least this type of one). This is an overall HD policy now that all "store credit" is exclusive to in-store purchases only and can't be used online. The best way to test it is to start typing in the back of the store credit number (very similar to a gift card) online and when you finish it will tell you that store credit numbers can no longer be used online...

Well, why do you have store credit? Returns without receipt? Keep them for next time...

great question. Some of my store credits are from using the good old "gift cards" I've been given over the years to purchase stuff, but when I return items I get store credit. A few store credits I have are from using Giftcardbin to acquire gift cards at a discount (from people who don't want/need HD cards anymore). But the problem is - if you were to purchase "gift cards" online now, they won't always be gift cards - they might be "store credit" cards from a return, and thus not able to be used online (despite what the back of the cards say).

The unjust part are the terms on the back of the store credit cards which state clearly that they can be used online and now they can't - and no warnings were given.

Can you use store credit to buy a gift card?

great question and I tried it and (NOPE!)

MicahMc said:   great question. Some of my store credits are from using the good old "gift cards" I've been given over the years to purchase stuff, but when I return items I get store credit. A few store credits I have are from using Giftcardbin to acquire gift cards at a discount (from people who don't want/need HD cards anymore). But the problem is - if you were to purchase "gift cards" online now, they won't always be gift cards - they might be "store credit" cards from a return, and thus not able to be used online (despite what the back of the cards say).

The unjust part are the terms on the back of the store credit cards which state clearly that they can be used online and now they can't - and no warnings were given.

Returns with a receipt go back to the original method of payment. Cash, Credit Card, Gift Card or Store Credit. So maybe you purchased "Store Credit" from giftcardbin instead of Gift Cards.

Note: I don't work for HD nor have a home improvement show on TV.

rsuaver said:   
MicahMc said:   great question. Some of my store credits are from using the good old "gift cards" I've been given over the years to purchase stuff, but when I return items I get store credit. A few store credits I have are from using Giftcardbin to acquire gift cards at a discount (from people who don't want/need HD cards anymore). But the problem is - if you were to purchase "gift cards" online now, they won't always be gift cards - they might be "store credit" cards from a return, and thus not able to be used online (despite what the back of the cards say).

Returns with a receipt go back to the original method of payment. Cash, Credit Card, Gift Card or Store Credit. So maybe you purchased "Store Credit" from giftcardbin instead of Gift Cards.

Note: I don't work for HD nor have a home improvement show on TV.

Yep - exactly. However, I've found that if I used a gift card in its totality, and then return an item that was purchased with a gift-card, they will only put the return on store credit (vs another gift card). Otherwise you're right - they'll return by the same form of payment (e.g. cash, CC, store credit). So yes, like I mentioned before, some of my store credit comes from returns made with gift card purchases (I get a lot from family/friends every year) and also places online like giftcardbin. However, with Giftcardbin, they don't yet distinguish the difference between "gift cards" and "store credit" when you're making the purchase. So it's a warning to those who buy online to be aware of that.

You can easily order items online with your "merchandise credit" inside the store. If you go inside and hand it to them they will order the online item for you through their computer. They just need the physical cards now. It is to avoid some theft that was happening when someone would sell a merchandise credit to a person but they would have the numbers written down to use after they sold it making the original card useless and huge hassle for HD when people would complain wanting answers about their 0 balance card that had value just a short time before and never left their possession.

dougtr said:   You can easily order items online with your "merchandise credit" inside the store. If you go inside and hand it to them they will order the online item for you through their computer. They just need the physical cards now. It is to avoid some theft that was happening when someone would sell a merchandise credit to a person but they would have the numbers written down to use after they sold it making the original card useless and huge hassle for HD when people would complain wanting answers about their 0 balance card that had value just a short time before and never left their possession.
  I must be missing something because when I went inside the store last night to order this v-anity, they couldn't physically place the order except through the website portal that we all have access to. This was because the SKU only had an internet sku and no store sku. Even the manager on duty said he couldn't place the order. It simply wasn't in their special-order system. But the reasoning behind this totally makes sense of course.

Ok I think I'm misunderstanding something or OP dropped a word
Then a manager came over and said my store credit can't work at ALL on items that are exclusive to HD
I think you are saying
Then a manager came over and said my store credit can't work at ALL on items that are exclusive to HD ONLINE

Because I don't know why you can't buy a HD extension cord with your Store Credit in the store.

If so, then I can see that (But I don't agree with it).  Store Credit can only be given from inside a store, hence they expect you to spend it inside the store.

forbin4040 said:   Ok I think I'm misunderstanding something or OP dropped a word
Then a manager came over and said my store credit can't work at ALL on items that are exclusive to HD
I think you are saying
Then a manager came over and said my store credit can't work at ALL on items that are exclusive to HD ONLINE

Because I don't know why you can't buy a HD extension cord with your Store Credit in the store.

If so, then I can see that (But I don't agree with it).  Store Credit can only be given from inside a store, hence they expect you to spend it inside the store.

good catch! Dropped (important!) word. "online" was updated in original post.

I paid for items at Lowes using gift cards purchased by me at Safeway etc.  When I returned an item, the refund was in the form of store credit.  I asked refund on a gift card and they said refund on store credit only even with receipt.  

I talked to the manager at Lowe's. He told me that there was a big problem with people shoplifting items, returning them for store credit, then reselling the store credit online via eBay and gift card resellers. Of course, it's also in their interest to prevent people quickly using store credit and hopefully losing them.

In any event, I was able to buy things online, ship to store, pickup in store. Then immediately return and re-purchase on store credit cards I had. This was certainly a bit more hassle, but at least a workaround to the issue for me.

I encountered that problem at HD just a day or so after they started that policy. Yes, my store credits were purchased at cardpool.com, and what I bought was "gift cards". I contacted them, and they refunded my money.

I had some subway tokens that clearly said "GOOD FOR ONE FARE" years ago when the fare went up and they changed the tokens, and they wouldn't honor them anymore.

cows123 said:   I had some subway tokens that clearly said "GOOD FOR ONE FARE" years ago when the fare went up and they changed the tokens, and they wouldn't honor them anymore.
  There is a big difference.

And yes they would exchange them....somewhere.

This is maybe to much trouble, but if you are stuck on that Vanity, purchase the Vanity Online using your credit card, return to store for refund and immediately buy again with store credit.

forbin4040 said:   
cows123 said:   I had some subway tokens that clearly said "GOOD FOR ONE FARE" years ago when the fare went up and they changed the tokens, and they wouldn't honor them anymore.

Exchange them?  Where.  The issuer won't accept them in exchange for something, like a new token, good for one fare, and won't exchange them for an amount of money theyill accept back for one fare.  There were news stories about a court action on the basis that since it clearly was sold with "GOOD FOR ONE FARE" on it, it has to be honored.  There were later news storys that the action was dismissed by the court.  

Like others.... I was affected by using a giftcard at HomeDepot then returning the item and was only offered store credit. It sucks as the prices online are much cheaper.

cows123 said:   
forbin4040 said:   

Exchange them?  Where.  The issuer won't accept them in exchange for something, like a new token, good for one fare, and won't exchange them for an amount of money theyill accept back for one fare.  There were news stories about a court action on the basis that since it clearly was sold with "GOOD FOR ONE FARE" on it, it has to be honored.  There were later news storys that the action was dismissed by the court.  

The somewhere is eBay, it's worth about a Buck..yikes

There were discussions on FW and SD about store credits not being able to be used online when they started happening early this year when Lowes and Home Depot started the policy.
People buying from the 3rd party gift card sites were having problems and warning others.

Now on 3rd party gift card sites, you find the actual store credits mailed on purchase since they need to be used in the store.

Lowe's not accepting store credit online - beware of buying GC's from 3rd party sites
https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/deal-discussion/1476149/

forbin4040 said:   
cows123 said:   
forbin4040 said:   

The somewhere is eBay, it's worth about a Buck..yikes

And, you're telling me I can exchange or sell my tokens that were sold to me with the statement "GOOD FOR ONE FARE" for something else that will, or for about an amount of money that will, be accepted for ONE FARE on the subway.  If you think a buck will be accepted for ONE FARE on the subway...duh.

Regarding the original post.  Sell ýour card on eBay, then demand Home Depot accept whatever you get for the full .value of the card you sold

MicahMc said:   
dougtr said:   You can easily order items online with your "merchandise credit" inside the store. If you go inside and hand it to them they will order the online item for you through their computer. They just need the physical cards now. It is to avoid some theft that was happening when someone would sell a merchandise credit to a person but they would have the numbers written down to use after they sold it making the original card useless and huge hassle for HD when people would complain wanting answers about their 0 balance card that had value just a short time before and never left their possession.
  I must be missing something because when I went inside the store last night to order this v-anity, they couldn't physically place the order except through the website portal that we all have access to. This was because the SKU only had an internet sku and no store sku. Even the manager on duty said he couldn't place the order. It simply wasn't in their special-order system. But the reasoning behind this totally makes sense of course.

Has anyone personally had any luck going into the store and ordering something that Home Depot carries online and using store credit to pay for it in-store? This post mentions that he couldn't do it because the item only has an internet SKU and no store SKU. I am looking at an item on their site that has both SKUs. Could they order it for me in store and allow me to pay for it with a store credit?

could you theoretically, buy it on credit card, return it in store, and buy it in store with store credit?

Since returns without a receipt (stolen items) require an ID, I think this is a farce that there was a lot of fraud. They limit returns without a receipt.

michaeljc70 said:   Since returns without a receipt (stolen items) require an ID, I think this is a farce that there was a lot of fraud. They limit returns without a receipt.
  Really?  You can have a fake ID made up for a few $$$, it won't pass Law enforcement, but the home depot swipe machine?  sure

forbin4040 said:   
michaeljc70 said:   Since returns without a receipt (stolen items) require an ID, I think this is a farce that there was a lot of fraud. They limit returns without a receipt.
  Really?  You can have a fake ID made up for a few $$$, it won't pass Law enforcement, but the home depot swipe machine?  sure

IDs have pretty sophisticated measures now to prevent easy duplication.  Maybe HD doesn't look closely, but that would be their own fault.  Also, I guess it is okay to HD if people steal stuff, use a fake ID, sell the credit and someone uses it in the store?  You don't present ID to use a store credit in the store.  

Maybe they should concentrate on preventing the theft in the first place rather than RETROACTIVELY changing policies that affect completely legitimate customers negatively. 

massmedia said:   Like others.... I was affected by using a giftcard at HomeDepot then returning the item and was only offered store credit. It sucks as the prices online are much cheaper.

Right, the whole concept of issuing 'store credit' with less flexibility on a Gift Card as payment return is bullshit.  There is no reason why credits can't be issued back onto the same original gift card or onto a new gift card (vs store credit) for the amount of the credit. 

CVS does the same thing as does Wags. Real GC's can be used to pay for Prescription Co-Pays, store credits can not. Consumer protections on gc's really are lacking, merchants tell YOU to treat them like cash, but the fact is, they treat them as inferior tender.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017