Shattered iPhone 6s Screen

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
It was just a matter of time . . . My daughter dropped her iPhone.  Had to be the day when she didn't have her Life Proof case on.  Screen is shattered.  Any suggestions for repairs?  I'm tempted to tell her she just needs to live with it for a while.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Batteries+Bulbs stores
I haven't used them for this purpose but I do know they offer repairs.

kirbydog (Aug. 15, 2016 @ 1:29p) |

Chances are you won't be able to come close to Apple's $129 price.

rsuaver (Aug. 16, 2016 @ 10:03p) |

look on craiglist

jonsander (Aug. 17, 2016 @ 4:23p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

FroginMyPants said:   Any suggestions for repairs? 
   Yes, at a cell phone repair shop.  Your local google search should provide you with numbers and reviews. 

FroginMyPants said:   It was just a matter of time . . . My daughter dropped her iPhone.  Had to be the day when she didn't have her Life Proof case on.  Screen is shattered.  Any suggestions for repairs?  I'm tempted to tell her she just needs to live with it for a while.
  https://support.apple.com/iphone/repair/screen-damage Looks like it would cost $129 ($99 w/ Apple Care+) to go through Apple, but if you go anywhere else it would more than likely void the warranty. If it were me I'd live with it then pay for Apple to do it when I can. It is a lot, but I've heard of people sending them into 3rd-party services and being out of luck when it comes back worse or unusable. $129 for a screen is better than paying for a brand new phone.

Have your daughter learn how to repair the phone, If she is old enough.

better yet have her Pay to have the phone repaired,,i find that cuts down on this nonsense.

FroginMyPants said:   she didn't have her Life Proof case on.
Hopefully, this life lesson will carry forward. Protection only works if it's used all the time...

If she puts the LifeProof case back on, she won't have to worry about being bandage-finger-girl...

If it's usable, let her live with it, while she saves up for the repair (when and wherever that is).

You can save a few $$$ (I suppose this would be the FW way) but it's so much easier just to take it to your local Apple Store and have them replace it. Often they'll just swap it out with a refurbed phone. Make sure you back it up completely before you bring it in just in case.

Staples has a service for that.
I paid a100 dollars for my iphone 6 screen

Google broken?

Thanks for you advice and suggestions everyone - very much appreciated.

apple is tough to beat for quality repair for cracked sceens 129 is not bad at all. you may find 3rd party techs that will repair but be careful

+1 to use Apple Store. They'll warrant the work. If you use any other repair service Apple won't do any further warranty work on the phone.

Since it's still under the original year warranty, let Apple fix It to preserver what's left.

Connman said:   Hopefully, this life lesson will carry forward. Protection only works if it's used all the time...

Words to live by.   

Just go to Apple. The third-party places aren't that much cheaper. Not worth voiding the warranty / getting a shoddy job,

I just replaced my dad's iphone 5 screen. I am sure it was easier than iphone 6/s. But I'd look at iFixit to see if you are comfortable with DIY. Apple asked for 129. Local shops asked for 90. I got it done for 30 with some 2 hrs on research (to find someone reputable for the part) and 1 hr on the actual work.

Did you purchase the phone recently? It may be covered under credit card's accidental damage protection. You could try to fix yourself for $25 http://www.repairpartsplus.com/Screen-Replacement-Kit-for-Apple-...

Check groupon for some deals for iphone repairs only if you are not going to apple shop

Like most said unless you want to order a kit yourself, but I would pay someone, unless you toom out applecare on the phone, otherwise look on Yelp and other places for cellphone repair, and make sure to check the store ratings... GL and try the thicker screen protector, it saved some of my friends a screen crack, besides the case on the phone

Dil

Apple Store. The part itself seems to be upwards of $100 so not worth it to do it yourself. Most 3rd parties charging as much. Apple will replace the screen usually while you wait.

Also, if it's a hairline crack they might even replace the screen for free as it may be a manufacturer's defect. I've had a couple of work phones fixed like this.

AppleCare is worth it only after your second repair. Costs $100 and then you still need to pay the deductible.

Staples in my area advertises on their window for even less.

Where are you located? I own a chain of cell phone repair stores and am part of a large network of store owners across the country. Some provide great service and use original parts. I can refer you to a quality shop based on location.

bobbybore said:   Did you purchase the phone recently? It may be covered under credit card's accidental damage protection. You could try to fix yourself for $25 http://www.repairpartsplus.com/Screen-Replacement-Kit-for-Apple-...
  thats a good way to waste $25. Every phone now days has the glass fused to the lcd. It's not repairable with this kit. The lcds can be refurbished, but it takes thousands of dollars of equipment and lots of experience/practice (to do it right, anything near original quality)

Batteries+Bulbs stores
I haven't used them for this purpose but I do know they offer repairs.

lobstersoap said:   Where are you located? I own a chain of cell phone repair stores and am part of a large network of store owners across the country. Some provide great service and use original parts. I can refer you to a quality shop based on location.

Chances are you won't be able to come close to Apple's $129 price. 

look on craiglist

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017