• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
I'm thinking of getting my daughter an upgraded Microsoft phone to use as media device only (no talk/texting.)  She has an ATT Go Phone (425?--> Update: 520) that we didn't need to activate for her to use.

The Cricket Wireless Lumia 640, iscurrently at best buy for $30, and seemed to be fairly popular according to the posting: here 

-Were people able to use the device without activating for apps, internet, etc?
-Can this phone be upgraded to WIndows 10, is it better at 10 or no difference?
-If activation is needed, what does that involve?

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I bought the 640 that was ATT locked - not only could I use it, I could get a unlock code from ATT for use on TMo ot Intl. Win 10 is definitely betetr.

you dont need to do anything to use as a media device,,,will work on wifi to use internet..

You can use it without activating it. You can also upgrade to win 10. Ive recently done it. I would also recommend Amazon BLU R1 HD for $50. I feel like its a much better quality phone for $20 more. Theres not much apps for the window phone. Amazon phone is also unlocked so if 1 day u wanna give her an emergency phone, u can add a sim card and itll work.

The 640 is a great phone not as many apps as android but they work.

i believe you can put your ATT SIM in the cricket, and your all set.

29.99 at best buy YMMV

Thanks for the feed back. I did purchase and had no problem using w/o activation. The phone updated to "8.1 update 1" or something like that, but wouldn't updated to W10 (potentially not yet pushed by Cricket?). I ended up signing up for "Windows Insiders Preview", and once I did that I was able to update/install W10.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
    Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016