T-Mobile Changing Data Plans

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
T-Mobile is changing many of their plans,  removing the data plans and replacing them with unlimited plans (increasing the price for some).  If you have multiple phones, the new prices may be lower. 

http://www.cnet.com/news/t-mobile-brings-back-unlimited-data-for...

Has anyone seen any changes to the $30 WalMart plan?

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

If you only need one line and most of your data is email and music (as is the case for me), this is a terrible deal. Right now, I've got a $50 plan with unlimited everything from the referral program from two years ago, which was supposed to end after one year but ended up turning into an indefinite time. The only thing that gets throttled is tethering after 10 GB. As long as I can keep this, I'm OK, but otherwise the other carriers are looking better.

This would increase my price by more than 50%. I get 5 lines for what 2 will cost under this.

It doesn't sound like they are forcing people to change. It said existing customers will have to call to switch.

Ananrefugee said:   This would increase my price by more than 50%. I get 5 lines for what 2 will cost under this.
 "...T-Mobile plan goes into effect September 6 for new customers. Current T-Mobile customers can keep their plans or switch over to the new one."

Hope that clarify things for you.

I am a non-tech gal. I have two lines and pay $140 a month
1. One phone is mom. She only uses a flip phone to talk. No text, data etc
2. Second phone me, Iphone. Maybe 1-3 text a day. Use to talk and see emails No movies, games, do not even use apps as I can never figure out how to download them.
I always get notices that my DATA is used up. The message states I have 1G what ever that is.
What should I pick?

Total $120 plus fees, the 1st line $70, 2nd line $50 for the new unlimited plan. 4 lines unlimited $160.

Californiadeal said:   I am a non-tech gal. I have two lines and pay $140 a month
2. Second phone me, Iphone. Maybe 1-3 text a day. Use to talk and see emails No movies, games, do not even use apps as I can never figure out how to download them.
I always get notices that my DATA is used up. The message states I have 1G what ever that is.
What should I pick?

If 100 voice minutes a month is good enough for you, then consider the $30 Unlimited web & text with 100 minutes talk prepaid plan.
 https://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/other-prepaid-plans

Californiadeal said:   I am a non-tech gal. I have two lines and pay $140 a month
  OMG, that's almost unbelievable. This isn't a knock against you especially if what you want/need is voice, text and some data and you're not into phones or plans. Many carriers (Boost, MetroPCS) have plans around $30/month + tax per line and will usually include a free smart phone. What you really need to do is find someone you know that's happy with their cell plan and ask questions. The fact that you're here on FW seeking info is a great start.

luigi2008 said:   
What should I pick?

If 100 voice minutes a month is good enough for you, then consider the $30 Unlimited web & text with 100 minutes talk prepaid plan.
 https://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/other-prepaid-plans

After activation and tax, comes out about $38.  Depends on your local sale tax rate.

Thank you for replies
Mom is chatty, her flip phone she runs through 1600-2800 minutes per month.  No text, just talk
Me, Not a gamer, movie watcher etc.  On my Iphone I run about 1400-1700 talk, Text 80-350 per month, use phone for emails Each month I get a message stating I used up my 1G
Thoughts?

Californiadeal said:   Thank you for replies
Mom is chatty, her flip phone she runs through 1600-2800 minutes per month.  No text, just talk
Me, Not a gamer, movie watcher etc.  On my Iphone I run about 1400-1700 talk, Text 80-350 per month, use phone for emails Each month I get a message stating I used up my 1G
Thoughts?

http://www.wikihow.com/Check-Data-Usage-on-an-iPhone

Not worth switching for existing customers already on the family unlimited plan with 7GB of free LTE tethering on each line.  I'm paying $109 after taxes for two lines unlimited everything and 7GB tether.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017