Computer Associates honors their rebate 10 years later

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
10 years ago, I submitted 2 rebates (totaling $100) to Computer Associates (now known as CA Technologies) for some software I bought (from a HD thread). I distinctly remember they rejected my rebates and refused to budge.

I'm looking through the archive threads (https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/701861/) and many people had the same problem of Computer Associates refusing to honor their rebates from that time period.

Well, fast forward 10 years later, and I received a letter from PricewaterhouseCoopers advising me that during an audit of their client, they discovered that Computer Associates owes me $100. All I need to do is write back confirming that I remember them owing me money (or else it will be escheated to the state).

2 months later, I got my check for $100.

Looks like Computer Associates' shady practices may have caught up to them if their auditor is making them cut checks to people.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

they should owe you back interest also..

If anyone else got screwed by Computer Associates, try contacting PricewaterhouseCooper's Abandoned and Unclaimed Property Compliance Group: http://www.pwc.com/us/en/state-local-tax/newsletters/abandoned-unclaimed-property/after-audit-bigger-picture-unclaimed-property-compliance.html

Maybe their bean counters know where your money is.

Thanks for the post. I would never get such a letter as I have moved long enough ago there is no mail forwarding.

JW10 said:   Thanks for the post. I would never get such a letter as I have moved long enough ago there is no mail forwarding.

The letter said that if I don't respond, they would send the money to my state's abandoned property office, in accordance with state law.

Usually adandoned property will sit with the state forever until you or your heirs claim it.

As a family, we have been thru the abandon property process in my state enough that the state has our info on file. Sometimes, they call, sometimes they write since they have our info. Most people are not in such a system. Not all states are as aggressive in returning property to the rightful owners or heirs.

http://www.missingmoney.com/

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/03/technology/03computer.html?_r=2&pagewanted=print&oref=slogin

I just read that a few months after they rejected my rebate (in 2006), Computer Associates' chief executive was sentenced to 12 years in prison for orchestrating a $2.2 billion accounting fraud.

Maybe they spent the past decade sorting out everyone they screwed over?

I wish that AVG, Trend Micro, and Webroot would do the same. I got screwed out of rebates from all of those because Parago said I sent in too many rebates (even though they were all legit and I only used one address).

roy7736 said:   I wish that AVG, Trend Micro, and Webroot would do the same. I got screwed out of rebates from all of those because Parago said I sent in too many rebates (even though they were all legit and I only used one address).
There's a good chance the terms & conditions they have on file differ from the ones printed on the rebate forms.  That happened to me at least twice with Parago rebates, one for some flash memory bought from CompUSA.  Even Chase bank had the wrong information on file when they offered a checking account sign-up bonus.  They refused to pay because they said the offer required enrolling in Direct Deposit, but the card I received in the mail said no such thing.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017