• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
In a weak moment, I accepted free trials of Hulu and CBS All Access.  Each has something to be worth a look. 
Are they worth a regular subscription close to the price of Netflix?  IMO, no.
So I tried to cancel the subscription.  Instead, each of them offered me a full month free to keep them.

UPDATE:  I eventually totally canceled HULU. Last week, they sent me a free two week offer to come back.
Today, HULU stepped up to a full month free if I would come back to HULU.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
I also tried CBS for a free week, to catch up on a season of 2 of the shows I wanted to see
I ended my trial after 5 days, and also got the free month offer, I turned it down, since I'm not interested in watching the same few commercials over and over again. Even for free it would not be a good deal for me.

One of my Sony Bluray players was purchased as a refurb, for some reason Hulu is on it for free, I used it for a couple episodes and never did again, I don't have an hour to watch 40 minutes of tv.

rated:
I hope that sometime soon Viacom / CBS and the Hulu JV (Comcast, Disney, Warner Bros...) would realize their streaming services are somehow NOT A GOOD VALUE for what little they offer...

Only a service that offered EVERY PROGRAM AND MOVIE what ALL THE STREAMING SERVICES COMBINED (including Netflix USA) offers today then it'd barely be worth a single $7.95/month subscription.

Odd that CBS doesn't learn from its' past; they're throwing FOR THE 3RD TIME (as the stillborn Paramount TV Network in the '70s and as the now defunct UPN in the mid '90s as the other 2) a new Star Trek series as bait for a new (in this case the All Access streaming service started almost a year before the series) service. CBS All Access is the most OVERRATED streaming service for the $5.95/month they charge. If they charged anything it'd be worth to me like $2.00/month for what they offer "if" I'd be willing to pay anything at all...

rated:
billetera said:   I hope that sometime soon Viacom / CBS and the Hulu JV (Comcast, Disney, Warner Bros...) would realize their streaming services are somehow NOT A GOOD VALUE for what little they offer...

Only a service that offered EVERY PROGRAM AND MOVIE what ALL THE STREAMING SERVICES COMBINED (including Netflix USA) offers today then it'd barely be worth a single $7.95/month subscription.

Odd that CBS doesn't learn from its' past; they're throwing FOR THE 3RD TIME (as the stillborn Paramount TV Network in the '70s and as the now defunct UPN in the mid '90s as the other 2) a new Star Trek series as bait for a new (in this case the All Access streaming service started almost a year before the series) service. CBS All Access is the most OVERRATED streaming service for the $5.95/month they charge. If they charged anything it'd be worth to me like $2.00/month for what they offer "if" I'd be willing to pay anything at all...

So, you think that all the Hulu, CBS, and Netflix content combined is only worth $8/month?  Well, OK, but there are tens of millions of US households who disagree with you.  I might think that a new Ferrari is only worth $30k, but I won't hold my breath waiting for them to sell it to me for that.

rated:
For the INTENDED AUDIENCE... What really braise the TV rates are the sports channels, like the ESPN's, NBCSN/Comcast SportsNet, CBSSN... (keep giving pro leagues [+ the wildly corrupt IOC to the mix in the case of broadcasters] worldwide MORE and MORE MONEY to pay for those INFLATED EGOS, and guess who pays?).

If you don't really need / watch them it'd make for a nice skinny package at a very low, even < $10/month for most of what most of the streaming services offer COMBINED. The reason Disney stock has been down lately (- 12% in subscribers in last 10 years, which now qualifies as a long-term pattern).

Ultimately what you'll find is that cable-cutters will pay roughly the same (+ inflation) in 10 years as they're paying now. It'd be divided into a higher Internet rate and 1 or 2 larger streaming packages (it'll come to that, those many can't survive).

rated:
billetera said:   If you don't really need / watch them it'd make for a nice skinny package at a very low, even < $10/month for most of what most of the streaming services offer COMBINED.

While sports are a portion of the programming cost, and a big reason for the growth (about 60 cents of every dollar people pay for cable or satellite TV gets passed on to the programmers), it's not the only part, and there's no way you'd get to $10 just by eliminating sports.  If you just take the four broadcast networks (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX), plus the top ten cable networks (i.e. USA, TNT, TBS, etc.), but no sports programming, that would be about $20/month in terms of what the cable and satellite operators pay to the programmers. 

rated:
UPDATE: I eventually totally canceled HULU. Last week, they sent me a free two week offer to come back.
Today, HULU stepped up to a full month free if I would come back to HULU.

rated:
I got Hulu when a long series I was watching on Netflix disappeared and showed up there ("McCloud's Daughters" a fantastic long running series from Australia.) Now I have had Hulu for 3 years and I hardly ever watch it. I really should let it go! I think Time Warner got tired of me just getting their basic package so they offered me more channels and a discount! I agree with cestmoi123, they should have a package with the top networks, but the top two for me (HGTV and Foodnetwork) were only available on a large package with lots of channels I would never watch. I hope eventually, someone is going to develop a streaming package that incorporates the best of all or where you can self select the channels you want for a reasonable price.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017