Staples Rebate Visa Used Up by Someone at a Store Without the Card

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I went to use one of my Staples Rebate Visa cards yesterday and it had already been used. The strange thing is the card was in my house still attached to the paper until I took it to Staples to buy paper. There is a $1 test purchase out of state then a few days later 2 purchases at a gas station and a 7 11 about 30 miles away from me using up the card. 

Can someone explain how they used the card at a store without ever having the card?

This is also a warning to monitor the transactions of your Staples Rebate Visa cards. 

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Have you ever used the card before yesterday?

Also, earlier this year they had some issues and mailed out duplicate rebate cards for the same rebate. I wonder if someone got one of the duplicate copy in their mail (or stolen from your mail) and used that copy.

Is it one with experation date in Oct? Those were some of the ones that came in the mail twice.

The card just came in a few weeks ago. I not only had not used it, it was sitting in a pile of new cards in my office for me to enter into my database still attached to their original papers. The expiration date is 01/17.

Is your office in your house?

sorry, that was poorly worded. Yes, my home office. If someone stole the physical card they must have taken it out of the envelope then put it back and sealed the envelope back up. I already threw the envelope away so I can't check to see if it was tampered with. But with the first $1 test purchase being a few states away, I don't think they had possession of the card.

You know they can make a physical copy of the card easily?
And it sounds like an inside job at Staples Rebate Center.

mikejensen said:   You're not the only one: www.fatwallet.com/forums/deal-discussion/1504735/
Your link is for MasterCard GCs bought at Staplez; OP has an issue with Staplez Rebate Visa Card.

This is another good reason that I burn my cards up within about 10 minutes of getting them in the mail

It verifies the correct amount, and there is no chance of misplacing the card, or someone else helping themselves

forbin4040 said:   
And it sounds like an inside job at Staples Rebate Center.

Or an inside job at OP's house. 

sadly, I may have to reduce my rebate purchasing to use them more quickly. I cycle mine through in about 2-3 weeks depending on the paper sales. Occasionally, if rebate processing gets backed up or there is a dry spell of paper deals I can have a glut that takes me a month or two to get through.

wwinters said:   sadly, I may have to reduce my rebate purchasing to use them more quickly. I cycle mine through in about 2-3 weeks depending on the paper sales. Occasionally, if rebate processing gets backed up or there is a dry spell of paper deals I can have a glut that takes me a month or two to get through.
If you are rolling them at Staplez anyway, why don't you buy Staplez GCs?  

Yes, if deals dry up at Staplez, you could be stuck with GCs, but it's better to be stuck with GCs than have your rebate cards drained by someone else.

NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   
wwinters said:   sadly, I may have to reduce my rebate purchasing to use them more quickly. I cycle mine through in about 2-3 weeks depending on the paper sales. Occasionally, if rebate processing gets backed up or there is a dry spell of paper deals I can have a glut that takes me a month or two to get through.
If you are rolling them at Staplez anyway, why don't you buy Staplez GCs?  

Yes, if deals dry up at Staplez, you could be stuck with GCs, but it's better to be stuck with GCs than have your rebate cards drained by someone else.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/staples-swings-to-loss-sticks-with-p...

Don't want to be stuck with Staples GC if they go bankrupt.

may be they made a fake card.

The thief may stole or cracked the card number and made their own physical card. Evidence is that they used it at gas station where security code is not needed. The $1 test transaction was also from somewhere sec code is not needed. The security code is not in the magnetic strip.

faw169 said:   The thief may stole or cracked the card number and made their own physical card. Evidence is that they used it at gas station where security code is not needed. The $1 test transaction was also from somewhere sec code is not needed. The security code is not in the magnetic strip.
  A ECC code is in the strip, it's not the same as the card back.
So to use it at a swipe station they would have to have that number.

Ways to get it
Clone the card
Be the guy who makes the cards.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017