Ringplus LG Tribute memory increase

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Hello:

I have a Sprint and a Virgin pre-paid LG Tribute on Ringplus per suggestion on this forum.  As I know quite a few purchased the Tribute for use on Ringplus, I would appreciate your assistance.

I like the phone but I am having difficulties due to the internal memory (even though it says 4GB internal memory, more than 1/2 is used by the OS and other required apps and I keep getting out of space messages due to updates).  I have added 32GB SD but it is not helpful as almost all the apps installs on the internal memory (no option to move to SD).

Has anyone tried to utilize the SD as internal memory, if so how much  partition size works smoothly, and what apps and instructions did you use?  

I noticed on youtube there are instructions to link the SD  partition so it can be used as internal memory after the device has been rooted for android device, but I am not sure if it would work on the LG Tribute or if there are tips I should be aware of.  

BTW if a used phone is purchased from eBay/craigslist does it need to be unlocked if it is a Sprint or Verizon phone to work on ringplus?

Thank you in advance

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

finddeals2 said:   
BTW if a used phone is purchased from eBay /craigslist does it need to be unlocked if it is a Sprint or Verizon phone to work on ringplus?

If it's a Sprint device, no need to be unlocked. If it's a Verizon device, you need to see if it's compatible. If you're purchasing from eBay, or somewhere else, request the IMEI or ESN and run it through the check tool: https://my.ringplus.net/device_validation_requests/new

finddeals2 said:   Hello:

I have a Sprint and a Virgin pre-paid LG Tribute on Ringplus per suggestion on this forum.  As I know quite a few purchased the Tribute for use on Ringplus, I would appreciate your assistance.

I like the phone but I am having difficulties due to the internal memory (even though it says 4GB internal memory, more than 1/2 is used by the OS and other required apps and I keep getting out of space messages due to updates).  I have added 32GB SD but it is not helpful as almost all the apps installs on the internal memory (no option to move to SD).

Has anyone tried to utilize the SD as internal memory, if so how much  partition size works smoothly, and what apps and instructions did you use?  

I noticed on youtube there are instructions to link the SD  partition so it can be used as internal memory after the device has been rooted for android device, but I am not sure if it would work on the LG Tribute or if there are tips I should be aware of.  

BTW if a used phone is purchased from eBay /craigslist does it need to be unlocked if it is a Sprint or Verizon phone to work on ringplus?

Thank you in advance

Don't forget about the FED check on prepaid phones.

"
If it's a Sprint device, no need to be unlocked. If it's a Verizon device, you need to see if it's compatible. If you're purchasing from eBay, or somewhere else, request the IMEI or ESN and run it through the check tool: https://my.ringplus.net/device_validation_requests/new "

thanks

wizardking said:    Don't forget about the FED check on prepaid phones.
  Thanks

I have the same LG Tribute phone as you (came as Sprint Prepaid). Yes, internal memory is tight. Once a week, I clean house.

Here's what I have done:
- Close all programs not in use by tapping the double box on the home screen bottom right bar and then tapping Clear All. (Do this daily.)
- Apps that display ads store them in cache. Go into System Settings>Storage and let it calculate the memory in use.
  Scroll down to the Cached Data line and tap it. It will ask if you want to clear it (yes).
- On that Storage screen, my phone shows Internal Storage: Total Space 4GB. The next line down shows what's Available.
  (e.g. - I have 60 apps installed using 1.32GB with 662MB Available.) Check each line below that looking for large memory usage.
  If you see 50MB or more being used in Pictures/Videos, Audio, or Downloads, check the relevant apps to see if there's a setting to store their songs, photos, etc. on the SD card (not necessarily move the program itself to SD). If you keep MMS messages with embedded photos, save the photos off to the SD card and delete the message. The same with emails that have large attachments.
- Several Google apps are memory hogs, especially their updates. Go into System Settings>Apps>All and sort by decreasing size. You'll see who the biggest offenders are. Do you need all of the apps you have installed? Are there alternative apps that have a smaller memory footprint?
- Be judicious with app updates. I only update if something breaks (almost never) or there's a security issue I read about. Open the Play Store app, tap the menu button in the upper left, scroll down to Settings, and turn off Auto-Update. Close the Play Store app, then go to System Settings>Apps and tap on each large memory-using app to see if you can Uninstall Updates. (I didn't do it for Google Play Services and Google Play Store, but did for the other Google apps that had updates applied.)

Let us know how you make out!

Buckmann said:   I have the same LG Tribute phone as you (came as Sprint Prepaid). Yes, internal memory is tight. Once a week, I clean house.

Here's what I have done:
- Close all programs not in use by tapping the double box on the home screen bottom right bar and then tapping Clear All. (Do this daily.)
- Apps that display ads store them in cache. Go into System Settings>Storage and let it calculate the memory in use.
  Scroll down to the Cached Data line and tap it. It will ask if you want to clear it (yes).
- On that Storage screen, my phone shows Internal Storage: Total Space 4GB. The next line down shows what's Available.
  (e.g. - I have 60 apps installed using 1.32GB with 662MB Available.) Check each line below that looking for large memory usage.
  If you see 50MB or more being used in Pictures/Videos, Audio, or Downloads, check the relevant apps to see if there's a setting to store their songs, photos, etc. on the SD card (not necessarily move the program itself to SD). If you keep MMS messages with embedded photos, save the photos off to the SD card and delete the message. The same with emails that have large attachments.
- Several Google apps are memory hogs, especially their updates. Go into System Settings>Apps>All and sort by decreasing size. You'll see who the biggest offenders are. Do you need all of the apps you have installed? Are there alternative apps that have a smaller memory footprint?
- Be judicious with app updates. I only update if something breaks (almost never) or there's a security issue I read about. Open the Play Store app, tap the menu button in the upper left, scroll down to Settings, and turn off Auto-Update. Close the Play Store app, then go to System Settings>Apps and tap on each large memory-using app to see if you can Uninstall Updates. (I didn't do it for Google Play Services and Google Play Store, but did for the other Google apps that had updates applied.)

His last point is worth seconding.  Turn off the automatic updates because the Google stuff updates all the time. Go to things you don't use, for me that included newsstand,spreadsheets etc. and restore them back to factory settings which gets rid of all of the updates. 

I have not tried using an SD as extended primary memory. I would be hesitant to depend on that because my personal experience suggests running apps from the SD card causes issues. I only moved apps to the SD card that had that feature enabled. I did not use any hacks to do it and I used good quality memory cards. The first thing I noticed is they load much slower. Something else I noticed but not immediately was the apps on the memory card became very flaky and data was often lost over time. I think they become corrupted over time. A few months or so. As a result I only run apps that aren't important from the SD card.

On a rooted device apps that aren't usually allowed to be deleted or moved to the SD can be deleted or moved to make more space. That is not a process I tried but may be an option. Apps like Facebook take up a lot of space and are not critical to the functioning of your phone.

IMO a new phone with more memory would be a better option and less headache.

Buckmann said:   I have the same LG Tribute phone as you (came as Sprint Prepaid). Yes, internal memory is tight. Once a week, I clean house.

Here's what I have done:

Thankyou.  Misc list 2.15GB (system data by default) I have downloaded handful of apps: Chrome, Maps, Uber, Lyft, Hangouts, and Vonage which do not have option to move to SD.. and have 176MB free after uninstalling updates, clearing cache, etc.    (no photos, music, etc) on the phone.  How did you get 60 apps?  Thank you for the tip to turn off the auto updates on Google Play.  Google App (145 MB), Google Play service (136), Chrome (90.25MB) Maps (70.54MB) Uber (57.61MB) are the top memory hog.
The others are the default ones which came with the phone.. not sure which one to remove w/o causing issues.

Thank you  I don't have many apps loaded and moved the few which had the options (GasBuddy, Opera Mini. Calculator Plus).. all of which is ok if there are slight delays..With the Ring+ restriction on new phones having been activated on provider for 12mo.. is making it difficult to another phone with good memory.  Any suggestions?

finddeals2 said:   

Thankyou.  Misc list 2.15GB (system data by default) I have downloaded handful of apps: Chrome, Maps, Uber, Lyft, Hangouts, and Vonage which do not have option to move to SD.. and have 176MB free after uninstalling updates, clearing cache, etc.    (no photos, music, etc) on the phone.  How did you get 60 apps?  Thank you for the tip to turn off the auto updates on Google Play.  Google App (145 MB), Google Play service (136), Chrome (90.25MB) Maps (70.54MB) Uber (57.61MB) are the top memory hog.
The others are the default ones which came with the phone.. not sure which one to remove w/o causing issues.

176MB free is a start!
- My Misc count in Storage is 2.03GB.
- My Chrome app (v36.0.1985.xx) takes up only 15MB (Do you have a lot of bookmarks? Clear browsing data within the app - under Settings>Privacy. I'm not signed into Chrome, so no sharing bookmarks, etc with PC browser).
- Google Play Services (v9.4.52) is 104MB after tapping the Manage Space button in App Info then letting it reset itself.
- Google Search (v3.6.14.xx) is 31MB (try tapping Clear Data to erase old searches).
- Maps (v8.2.0) is 10MB (again, try tapping Clear Data to erase old routes).
- Although Hangouts is installed (7.5MB), I don't use it.
- I can't speak to Lyft, Uber, and Vonage as I don't have them installed.
- I've disabled a few insignificant apps like Google Play Games (2MB) and TalkBack (<1MB).
- My largest third party apps are under 45MB (podcast, music streaming, hotel chain, weather), the rest well under 25MB.

You don't want to use sd card as part of internal memory. Sd card is much slower than internal memory. My moto e was able to do that automatically and it slows down the phone quite a lot. You can use sd card to hold music and photo, but don't use it for installing apps if you care about performance.

TheDealMaker said:   You don't want to use sd card as part of internal memory. Sd card is much slower than internal memory. My moto e was able to do that automatically and it slows down the phone quite a lot. You can use sd card to hold music and photo, but don't use it for installing apps if you care about performance.

It would seem one has to make a compromise/trade off then. As this thread illustrates, those of us without fancy Galxies and the like have limited internal memory to accommodate very many apps. So it's finding the balance between having the apps one wants and ideal performance.

Buckmann said:   
finddeals2 said:   

Thankyou.  Misc list 2.15GB (system data by default) I have downloaded handful of apps: Chrome, Maps, Uber, Lyft, Hangouts, and Vonage which do not have option to move to SD.. and have 176MB free after uninstalling updates, clearing cache, etc.    (no photos, music, etc) on the phone.  How did you get 60 apps?  Thank you for the tip to turn off the auto updates on Google Play.  Google App (145 MB), Google Play service (136), Chrome (90.25MB) Maps (70.54MB) Uber (57.61MB) are the top memory hog.

176MB free is a start!
- My Misc count in Storage is 2.03GB.
- My Chrome app (v36.0.1985.xx) takes up only 15MB (Do you have a lot of bookmarks? Clear browsing data within the app - under Settings>Privacy. I'm not signed into Chrome, so no sharing bookmarks, etc with PC browser).
- Google Play Services (v9.4.52) is 104MB after tapping the Manage Space button in App Info then letting it reset itself.
- Google Search (v3.6.14.xx) is 31MB (try tapping Clear Data to erase old searches).
- Maps (v8.2.0) is 10MB (again, try tapping Clear Data to erase old routes).
- Although Hangouts is installed (7.5MB), I don't use it.
- I can't speak to Lyft, Uber, and Vonage as I don't have them installed.
- I've disabled a few insignificant apps like Google Play Games (2MB) and TalkBack (<1MB).
- My largest third party apps are under 45MB (podcast, music streaming, hotel chain, weather), the rest well under 25MB.

Thank you.  I do not know why Chrome, etc is taking more space  I do not have bookmarks, nor do I use it much.  Uninstalling and Re-installing to help save space.

Agreed.  There are apps which would be acceptable to have slow performance if it can be moved to SD card.  Unfortunately most of the apps does not give a default option of moving to SD card (ie. wanted weather app but deleted it because it does not have option to move to SD card). I can also move Uber, Lyft, etc to SD card if possible.

Hence I was checking if anyone has tried the option of partitioning the SD card and linking it to use as internal memory on LG Tribute.  On youtube there are instructions for do so on Android phones, but before I try it I wanted to see if anyone has successfully done so 

OP, I just ran into the same problem as you! Somehow, the Android v5.01 update was pushed down to my phone and used up almost all of my available memory space. Google Play Services - which had been 104MB - ballooned to 892MB! I researched an easy way to delete the forced download but couldn't find one. Then I thought why not go ahead, let it install and see what Lollipop is like. Nope, wouldn't do it. In fact, it wanted to download a further upgrade to Android 6.01, but couldn't because there was insufficient memory.

I decided to take the nuclear option: I copied important data and pics to the SD card, made a list of the apps installed, unmounted the SD card properly, and hit Backup & Reset. About six minutes later, the phone came back up and walked me through the basic new phone setup. Surprisingly, all my RingPlus coding was still in place - no need to reenter phone number or PRL. The phone was ready to make calls and use LTE data.

Before I did anything else, I went into System Settings>Apps>All>Sort by Size, and clicked on Google Play Services. I unchecked the Show Notifications box. That should prevent the Android Update Ready notification from appearing in the pull-down shade where it could be accidentally tapped (initiating installation). I don't know if it will actually stop another forced update download.

Since I used the same Google account to set up the phone as before, when I launched Google Play, My Apps showed everything I had previously installed - I just tapped each one to reinstall. But first, I turned off auto-update in Google Play's Settings.

It was about an hour of work to reset to factory fresh then add all my apps and settings back in, but I have all my free memory back.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017