eBay gift cards no longer valid for purchase of GCs

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
DOC has a post up on changes to the T&Cs for eBay gift cards:
eBay said: 9. The Gift Card may not be used to pay eBay or PayPal service fees. The Gift Card also may not be used to buy eBay Gift Cards, third party gift cards, gift certificates, coupons, coins, paper money, virtual currency, or items generally considered to be “bullion” (for example, gold, silver, and other precious metals in the form of coins, bars, or ingots).

This is a pretty big bummer. I'm only sitting on ~175 in eBay GCs but I'm sure others on here are sitting on far greater amounts.

Mods- not sure if this is the right place for it, apologies if it needs to be moved. But this forum is typically where eBay GC deals have been discussed and this affects many of us.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Was anyone able to buy bestbuy gift card using eBay gift card today?

FatWKing (Sep. 14, 2016 @ 6:32p) |

Thanks for this info. Does this grace period apply only to the eBay gift cards that were purchased previously or it appl... (more)

FatWKing (Sep. 14, 2016 @ 8:02p) |

Bought Best Buy Gift card today using eBay gift cards that I purchased yesterday at Lowes using Amex offer.

eBay is allow... (more)

FatWKing (Sep. 15, 2016 @ 9:04a) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

With the limit of $2k in six months, hopefully people are not stuck with a lot of GCs. I use Ink for PPDG gift cards for 5% (FYI to those that may. It have known) -!; eBay GCs for others. I will my eBay GCs ($500) for other items for reselling. Thanks for passing on!

This is from the DOC comments on that article:
"
SteveX says:August 22, 2016 at 11:16 pm "Worst part is they are applying this retroactively to cards purchased before this change. So, even though you bought them when it was allowed you can’t use them on GCs."

Edit: At first I thought he meant that eBay GC transactions to other gift cards were being canceled, but what I think he means is that no eBay gift cards can be used to purchase other gift cards, even if the eBay gift card was purchased before the change. 

Right, just means if you're holding some that were purchased last week with the old terms you're now subject to the new terms.

dboston1 said:   Right, just means if you're holding some that were purchased last week with the old terms you're now subject to the new terms.

Exactly. So even if you don't consider the lost rolling sales, as a buyer on eBay, I rarely use eBay gift cards to purchase a physical item because of the increased protection that you get when purchasing with a credit card. I know I'm not alone in this so this is essentially killing eBay gift cards. 

Yeah, completely dead for my purposes. I used them just to roll and earn, and also to buy discounted iTunes GCs at an even greater discount for the purposes of paying my Apple Music/Netflix/HBO subscriptions. No more.

eBay/paypal can rot in hell why hasn't anyone opened a competitor store?

dboston1 said:   Right, just means if you're holding some that were purchased last week with the old terms you're now subject to the new terms.

Wouldn't this be a basis for a class action?
Unsure why eBay is doing this - to avoid double paypal fees - once when buying the GC and 2nd when using it? Too many eBay GCs already out and they have to treat it as a liability/deferred revenue for accounting?

Hope they don't extend similar restrictions to bucks.

I have $450 in eBay gc

amhidogha said:   
Unsure why eBay is doing this - to avoid double paypal fees - once when buying the GC and 2nd when using it? Too many eBay GCs already out and they have to treat it as a liability/deferred revenue for accounting?

I'll bet the do the same to bucks, since it's a coupon/gc of sorts.

Last Bucks promotion (couple dsays ago) I wasn't able to use it with a Home Depot gift card.

nwwine said:   

Last Bucks promotion (couple dsays ago) I wasn't able to use it with a Home Depot gift card.

that's not what we are discussing, we talking about redemption. I haven't seen where you can't earn the eBay bucks on non eBay GC's.

amhidogha said:   
Unsure why eBay is doing this - to avoid double paypal fees - once when buying the GC and 2nd when using it? Too many eBay GCs already out and they have to treat it as a liability/deferred revenue for accounting?

I would think so...if you buy something under certain terms and they change the rules after...not cool. They should have given a 90 day warning to the policy to give people a chance to use existing ones.  Typical eBay BS. 

It was fun while it lasted! especially rolling a $100 GC to buy a new eBay  $100 for $90 or so.

Time to short eBay. If you can't roll GCs nor buy any GCs, their sales are gonna plummet.

novocane said:   Time to short eBay. If you can't roll GCs nor buy any GCs, their sales are gonna plummet.

Only if it was true...

Unfortunately, eBay gift cards are still highly prized. It seems that the best I can buy discounted eBay GCs is for a 2% discount.

novocane said:   Time to short eBay. If you can't roll GCs nor buy any GCs, their sales are gonna plummet.
  So they can no longer make up for their losses with volume?

ablang said:   Unfortunately, eBay gift cards are still highly prized. It seems that the best I can buy discounted eBay GCs is for a 2% discount.
  You can still get them for 3% off at grocery stores or 5% off at office supply stores or Target stores (I think) with the right credit cards.  Sweeter yet when groceries add in 4x fuel points.

edit:  I should say 3% or 5% cash back or reward points.  Not a true discount on gift card purchase.

thanks dboston1 great info , i would have never known until it was to late , green for you .i have always thought that eBay and payapl were horrible , they have no mercy in their biz practices their should be a lawsuit on this issue , lucky i have no eBay gift cards

not for long i imagine 

Well this stinks. I would buy the cabellas or other gift cards when on sale on eBay using eBay gift dards that I got a Kroger. I would buy the eBay cards at Kroger when they ran 4x fuel points. We use the full 35 gallon limit, so whenever I spend $250 on gift cards there it effectively is $35 off fuel. We saved over $2k on fuel last year.

zuhl said:   Well this stinks. I would buy the cabellas or other gift cards when on sale on eBay using eBay gift dards that I got a Kroger. I would buy the eBay cards at Kroger when they ran 4x fuel points. We use the full 35 gallon limit, so whenever I spend $250 on gift cards there it effectively is $35 off fuel. We saved over $2k on fuel last year.
  You bought $14,000+ in eBay GC's last year???
Did you buy a whole cabellas store with them?

Thank god I seen this post! I am always wheeling and dealing. This sucks. Can the bonus bucks be used to a gift card?

holly!
what can we buy from Kroger for their 4x fuel deals in future??
how to liquidate the eBay bucks, if I don't have anything really *need* within 30 days?

this is really a bad news

It does seem like this new rule is in the middle of the game. I wonder if I could get a pro-rated refund....since that changed the rules.

Ugh. Just when I loaded up on another $300 worth at Best Buy...

Lol, not that much from Cabellas. That is about the only time I buy eBay gift cards was to get deals on discounted retailer gift cards. Usually I just buy the retailer gift card. Mostly load up on Amazon and Lowes since those are my main two stores. With Lowes, I can can combine the fuel points, with the online coupons with sales and save a fortune.

Any ideas for monetizing these?

Here is one way to cash out now with the Paypal digital GC site down.  I have couple hundred of eBay GCs bought thru Paypal that I can't access.  This might be the loophole we need to get the refund.

==================================================================Sorry.
We are experiencing a technical issue with the PayPal Digital Gifts website. We apologize for the inconvenience. PayPal has teams actively working on this issue and expects to have the website back up soon. Please check back later to activate your digital gift cards. If you cannot wait until the website is fixed to activate your gift card, we will provide a full and immediate refund to your PayPal account. You can contact PayPal at 1-888-221-1161 for immediate assistance. 

I thought that we would be able to buy 3rd party gc using eBay gc from Sept. 13 to Oct. 13.
Just tried to buy a Mobil gas gc and system wouldn't let gc apply to purchase.

It is working today to buy Exxon gift cards using eBay gift cards

Was anyone able to buy bestbuy gift card using eBay gift card today?

my4mainecoons said:   I thought that we would be able to buy 3rd party gc using eBay gc from Sept. 13 to Oct. 13. 
Just tried to buy a Mobil gas gc and system wouldn't let gc apply to purchase.

Thanks for this info. Does this grace period apply only to the eBay gift cards that were purchased previously or it applies to new purchase of eBay gift cards as well?

Bought Best Buy Gift card today using eBay gift cards that I purchased yesterday at Lowes using Amex offer.

eBay is allowing temporary exemption of using eBay gift cards to purchase 3rd party gift cards between Sept 14, 2016 to Oct 13, 2016.

There is an exemption to this temporary exemption.

"Gift cards purchased after August 23, 2016, are not eligible for this temporary exemption."

http://pages.ebay.com/giftcard/faqs.html

I didn't know about this additional exemption till after I purchased the eBay gift cards yesterday. Luckily, I was still able to use these eBay gift cards to purchase Best Buy gift cards. YMMV.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017