• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Dear Class Member:

Our records indicate that you have purchased a new computer or laptop with an internal Optical Disk Drive (ODD) or a stand-alone ODD designed for internal or external use between April 1, 2003 and December 31, 2008. You are eligible for up to $10/drive from settlements reached in antitrust litigation currently pending in Federal court. This is an estimate of the settlement amount which could increase or decrease.

ODD refers to a DVD-RW, DVD-ROM, or COMBO drive sold by a number of manufacturers including Panasonic, Sony, Hitachi-LG Data Storage, Toshiba Samsung Storage Technology, Lite-On, and Pioneer.

Submitting a claim is as easy as clicking on the link below and confirming the number of drives purchased during the settlement period.

Submit a Claim 

If you purchased a new computer with an internal ODD, a stand-alone ODD designed for internal use in a computer, or an ODD designed to be attached externally to a computer while a resident of Arizona, California, District of Columbia, Florida, Hawaii, Kansas, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Oregon, Tennessee, Utah, Vermont, West Virginia, or Wisconsin during the period of April 1, 2003 and December 31, 2008 for your own use and not for resale, you may be eligible for benefits from settlements reached in antitrust litigation currently pending in federal court. ODD refers to a DVD-RW, DVD-ROM, or COMBO drive manufactured by one or more Defendants or their alleged conspirators. For class members to ensure payment, you must file a claim online or by mail by July 1, 2017.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
You may want to change the link you posted.

https://www.opticaldiskdriveantitrust.com/

rated:

rated:
SweetClover said:   Link is fixed, but I'd appreciate it if you had addressed me by my FW username, and not the one that was auto-filled on the form, please edit your post.
  No need to get snarky. Next time I will just keep it to myself.

rated:
Thanks! Didn't get an email, but I definitely qualify.

rated:
Limited states:
"If you purchased a new computer with an internal ODD, a stand-alone ODD designed for internal use in a computer, or an ODD designed to be attached externally to a computer while a resident of Arizona, California, District of Columbia, Florida, Hawaii, Kansas, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Oregon, Tennessee, Utah, Vermont, West Virginia, or Wisconsin during the period of April 1, 2003 and December 31, 2008"

rated:

rated:
I received an email today but that was only after going to the link yesterday to check it out. Not sure if they are using cookies to track.

I am in one of the listed states now but wasn't during most of the time frame. I did purchase a couple in the time frame before I moved but my old state isn't on the list.

Most of my purchases were through Dell, so the only other way is if they had access to that info.

rated:
Did it ask everyone for email  / name only ??  It didn't ask for address.  Mentions electronic payment, i guess they will send to email somehow like via paypal??

rated:
There is something very fishy about this one. Fist sign of trouble, the email ended up in my gmail spam. Something seems off about this one. I believe the settlement relates to this: https://www.hbsslaw.com/cases/optical-disc-drives-odd---all-devi...

I will give them a call tomorrow to see if they are affiliated with the site in the email

rated:
killerz298 said:   There is something very fishy about this one. Fist sign of trouble, the email ended up in my gmail spam. Something seems off about this one. I believe the settlement relates to this: https://www.hbsslaw.com/cases/optical-disc-drives-odd---all-devices-with-cd-or-dvd-players

I will give them a call tomorrow to see if they are affiliated with the site in the email

I agree. I received email as well and when I clicked the website link it was blocked as malicious by Charter (I think F-Secure AV). So could be phishing scam or just idiots at setting up a website. If it is a scam it is clever, I'll give them that.

rated:
CouponClippen said:   
SweetClover said:   Link is fixed, but I'd appreciate it if you had addressed me by my FW username, and not the one that was auto-filled on the form, please edit your post.
  No need to get snarky. Next time I will just keep it to myself.

I didn't think I was "being snarky", I didn't understand why you would point out that my info was showing up as auto-filled on the link (and therefore ask me to change it) and then go ahead and publicize it here, when you could (and should) have simply used my FW username, thus avoiding this altogether. I also said "Please", if I wanted to be snarky, I wouldn't have bothered asking you to please change it. Since you edited your post, I deleted mine. That's all.

rated:
zenci said:   how is this one related to this: http://www.odddirectpurchaserantitrustsettlement.com/ ?

Good question. The one you linked to is closed, and I noticed that while some of the defendants are the same, others are different. Also, the link in my post is limited to select states.

killerz298, please post if you find anything out. But it would seem that if it were a scam, that it wouldn't be restricted to certain states. Scammers would make it open to all.

I don't even qualify, I don't now, nor have I lived, in any of the states this is restricted to. But I thought it would be of interest to those who do live, or did live, in those states, and purchased the ODD's.

rated:
SweetClover said:   
zenci said:   how is this one related to this: http://www.odddirectpurchaserantitrustsettlement.com/ ?

Good question. The one you linked to is closed, and I noticed that while some of the defendants are the same, others are different. Also, the link in my post is limited to select states.

killerz298, please post if you find anything out. But it would seem that if it were a scam, that it wouldn't be restricted to certain states. Scammers would make it open to all.

I don't even qualify, I don't now, nor have I lived, in any of the states this is restricted to. But I thought it would be of interest to those who do live, or did live, in those states, and purchased the ODD's.

Then why was your email addy in the original link?

rated:
It is just odd that 1. This NEW settlement links to all the same court documents as the old and 2. There is no mention of this new site on the firm's page. I'll post what I find out.

rated:
So the firm didn't reply to my email but they did update their page at https://www.hbsslaw.com/cases/optical-disc-drives-odd---all-devi... They have now linked this new website so it looks like everything is all good.

rated:
Those were the years we bought and upgraded so many family machines and add many with prices dipping, just before the big financial collapse.  How many will they allow without proof -- we probably have many thought not all but a big pain to dig them out, and small payout per claim anyway < 10 for the effort.... 

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016