Federal judge: Starbucks is not ripping you off when it puts lots of ice in your iced tea

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
From Washington Post. Lede:

To a brewing class-action lawsuit that argued Starbucks had, for a decade, stiffed customers by filling their drinks with too much ice, a federal judge had a simple message: Chill.

U.S. District Judge Percy Anderson, of the Central District of California, concluded that no typical customer would feel cheated by ice cubes, even if they took up a significant volume in the clear plastic cup. Anderson dismissed the lawsuit Friday.

At the crux of the matter, according to plaintiff Alexander Forouzesh, was the definition of what constitutes a Starbucks beverage. The Los Angeles man sued the coffee chain in May.

In the complaint, Forouzesh argued that because drink sizes were advertised by fluid ounce — a cold Venti drink is 24 fluid ounces, for instance — the coffee chain was under-filling its cups with fluid. Ice aside, Forouzesh claimed that baristas poured only about 14 ounces of drink into a Venti cup, per his measurements. In his eyes, this was far too little beverage, and fraudulently so. (The Grande Shaken Iced Peach Green Tea Lemonade cold drink appeared to fare slightly better, at 12 ounces liquid out of 16 advertised.)

More: http://wpo.st/mNCu1

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

LOL .... Reminds me when a friend was hired by a national burger joint to measure amount of ice in a cold drink at different locations in that chain. The plastic cups had a fill line showing how much ice to fill to. Too much or too little and the location got a ding. Filled correctly, the location got a good job certificate to hang on the wall. What I never understood, was how excited the crew and location manager would get to receive the good job certificate.

Grow a pair and ask for no ice if you don't want it.

Unless you are sucking down in 5 minutes, as the ice melts, you get more liquid. Starbucks tea is pretty strong and I've sipped on it for hours with no degradation of taste. Such a litigious society we have and I am glad this judge ruled the way he did.

The ice is factored in to how the drink is made and thus, taste. It is all part of the recipe and all stores use the same mesurements. If it tastes watered down then people wouldn't continue to buy it!

Simple solution: stop going to 5 Bucks Coffee.
I enjoy a brew there from time to time, but I just make my own coffee at home and put it into a disposable travel cup/lid. I save a ton of money and make it how I want.

Not knocking SB at all... and as someone else said, if you don't want too much ice, ask for less!

jeffmd said:   The ice is factored in to how the drink is made and thus, taste. It is all part of the recipe and all stores use the same mesurements. If it tastes watered down then people wouldn't continue to buy it!
Has nothing to do with taste. It's all about the image and keeping up with the Joneses. Apple, anyone? 

Starbucks is not ripping people off, they can always refill as many times as they want for free with the app.

amhidogha said:   
jeffmd said:   The ice is factored in to how the drink is made and thus, taste. It is all part of the recipe and all stores use the same mesurements. If it tastes watered down then people wouldn't continue to buy it!
Has nothing to do with taste. It's all about the image and keeping up with the Joneses. Apple, anyone? 

Rights.. who goes to starbux and buys it even though it taste watered down? oh wait... 

I love the frappachinos, even if it is $5 for mostly chopped ice. 

I heard you can always ask for lite ice even if they won't do no ice.

wvtalbot said:   Grow a pair and ask for no ice if you don't want it.
I always do.  Most places will comply but some half-fill the cup, some places don't refrigerate the fountain drinks so you get a warm drink and one place said I had to pay for two drinks.  The worst was buying a coke at Colonial Williamsburg.  Their ice is wet so you get maybe 4oz of coke and 12oz of water-ice mixture.  US Airways used to give you a tiny plastic cup of ice with at most 2oz of soda. 

Airline travel tip:  When ordering soda, I always ask for the can.  I try & be polite, as in "I'll take the can, if you can spare it."  I've never been refused, FA is usually just glad they don't have to pour another fizzy drink.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017