• Text Only
rated:
http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/topstories/sears-workers-reveal-w... 

An interesting read. Here are a few snippets from the article:

The company's cash and equivalents have fallen to $276 million from $1.8 billion one year ago, Sears said Thursday.The company's sales have been falling for years and it has been shutting down stores, selling real estate, and spinning off brands to stem the bleeding. Since 2007, Sears has closed half of its locations -- which include Sears and Kmart stores -- and eliminated more than 137,000 jobs.Some employees have predicted that the rest of the company's physical stores will close within the next two years.

A former assistant manager of Kmart who left the company in 2012 after 12 years, said that the company really started going downhill after the introduction of Shop Your Way, a loyalty program that Sears introduced in 2009.The program, which allows customers to earn points for purchases, was confusing and poorly executed, killed profits, slowed down customer service, and featured targeted advertising that was completely off base, the former manager said. He said that he and his family shopped at WalMart instead of Sears or Kmart to avoid the confusion of Shop Your Way."Imagine trying to keep an eye on two children and trying to understand a confusing SYWR [Shop Your Way] offer," he said. "We opted to avoid the confusion and shop WalMart -- where the tag or the sign told us what we would pay. No gimmicks."

"In addition to speaking with employees, Business Insider also reviewed a message board that workers said they use to communicate with Sears and Kmart employees at other stores.In dozens of messages over the last several weeks, people claiming to work for Sears and Kmart complained about the stores' deterioration.Several people claimed that the quality of the products that Sears and Kmart sell has declined, and that no one will buy clearance items regardless of how much they mark down the prices."Clearance is the standard operating procedure at our store," one person wrote on the message board. "We have at least half of our store on clearance. Too much stuff people don't want... and what they do buy they will usually return as defective. ...Not long until the end, it will come soon." 

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
SWY is crazy, crazy good for me. They will be missed but the deals reminds me of the crazy dot.com days. I keep gettin... (more)

ZenNUTS (Sep. 13, 2016 @ 5:53p) |

Hmm do you have to keep atleast $20 in pts?

needhelpplease (Sep. 13, 2016 @ 6:00p) |

There is a new article out today entitled:

Moody's: Sears ' and Kmart 's shutdown is imminent.Take it for what it's worth... (more)

MrVietnam (Sep. 16, 2016 @ 2:04p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

You don't need to read an article to figure out Sears is going out of the business. My local Sears store is always empty when I cut through the store to get to the mall food court. It will go into a permanent bankruptcy. It's not matter of if it will but when it will file a bankruptcy. Sears name is no longer a representation of good quality and value. Most smart homeowners shy away from Sears appliances since they know that Sears will not survive.

MrVietnam said:    
and that no one will buy clearance items regardless of how much they mark down the prices.Clearance is the standard operating procedure at our store, 

I haven't been in Sears for a couple years. Is it true about all the clearance? Are the prices any good?

Never been to Sears this is interest

wow,,this is NOT surprising,,,what does surprise me is they are still in Business....and i agree with that points program,,,holy **** wah a clust******

Went into store today to pick up a shop vac filter and the shelves were barren in the tools dept. No filters at all, socket wrenches hardly any at all, shelves nearly empty. A clerk offered to check his palm devise to see if any were ordered - none. He was nice to check nearby stores (15+mi away), but none there.

Same true with k mart - stopped by to buy some Joe Boxer men's ankle socks - none to be found. Store was empty of customers.

I will not return to either store.

Sears / Kmart will not go out of business until all the valuable real estate is sold off.

Eddie is slowly but steadily selling it off.

NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   Sears / Kmart will not go out of business until all the valuable real estate is sold off.

Eddie is slowly but steadily selling it off.

Debt is higher than revenue ---> going out business.  They are constantly closing down and selling real estates. Pretty soon, nothing left to sell. Not even Joe Boxer briefs.

It is going out of business because Eddie doesn't know diddly squat about how to run a retailer and is simply milking the hell out of it.

I for one, and am big fan of Sears and the Shop Your Way program. The Sears near me is reasonably active (despite the mall it's attached to is only about 20% capacity and has been marked to be re-purposed). I spent $2500 on Sears/Kmart last year which put me into their "VIP Silver" program which comes with some nice perks.

Me too. SYW rewards has been a goldmine leading to frequent 1-minute late store pick-ups which lead to Sears "Sorry" store credits which is another nice goldmine.

Shopping at Sears is more of a sure thing than a yard sale in a rich neighborhood.

Shoppers need more retailers competing for our attention, not fewer.

Evander said:   I for one, and am big fan of Sears...

I think people are thinking from Sears the corporate entity. Look from eddy's angle, he bought lots of real estate for cheap. The retailer came for free. If he had shut down Sears stores in one stroke, he would be called cold calculated heartless hedge fund devil. Now he is just being portrait as incompetent.

Not bad deal. He will still get his money worth.

Only issue is that it takes time to get your money out.

My biggest gripe with Sears is with the name brands on the clothing. All my life, I've bought almost all of my (men's) clothing at "low level" department stores similar to JC Penney or Kohls, and for the longest time, you could always find the same quality items and brands at Sears. At some point roughly 5-10 years ago, all of the name brand clothing started to slowly disappear from Sears and they've more or less become an extension of Kmart. Everything started going downhill with the clothing when Nike
pulled out of Sears right after the merger with Kmart, citing fears that Nike
shoes might end up on Kmart shelves. Then every other name brand eventually disappeared. They still sell Levis
and Dockers, which are the brands of pants and jeans that I wear most often, and there are occasionally good clearance deals to be found there on those brands. But it is really sad to look through all of the other clothing they offer, and to see racks that used to be full of quality brands replaced with these weird brands that I've never even heard of that don't even look good.

just the same old story. great idea. bad execution.

javaman2003 said:   I think people are thinking from Sears the corporate entity. Look from eddy's angle, he bought lots of real estate for cheap. The retailer came for free. If he had shut down Sears stores in one stroke, he would be called cold calculated heartless hedge fund devil. Now he is just being portrait as incompetent.

Maybe fast Eddie took a shot or two from the deal as well ...  

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/markets/2016/02/09/sears-fal...

I love their points program. Every few months they release those $30 SWP back on $30 coupons. I love using Sears as my store for toilet paper and paper towels.

Their points program is confusing, but there are savings to be had.

I bought a very good mattress, a Simmons Beautyrest Recharge Level 2 pillow top mattress, Queen size, for $712 (no boxspring) with free delivery, and pickup of the old mattress.

It was probably the lowest for that brand of mattress from that product line. But, I can already tell from browsing the website, that they are running out of products to sell.

The JCP store in a local mall just started selling appliances...that might put another nail in the Sears coffin.
SYWR doesn't make sense either...recently received $180 in points for an $80 Wrangler jean purchase at Sears.

Where will I buy my polyester blend short-sleeve dress shirts from?

ganda said:   Where will I buy my polyester blend short-sleeve dress shirts from?
  Try Goodwill. I donated a bunch of polyester blend short-sleeve dress shirts to them. You can get it cheaper than at Sears without using any points

docjoo said:   
ganda said:   Where will I buy my polyester blend short-sleeve dress shirts from?
  Try Goodwill. I donated a bunch of polyester blend short-sleeve dress shirts to them.

If they're a couple of shades off white and have button down collars I'll be needing your zip code.

I used to get my rechargeable batteries online using SYW. Ended up being like $2-$3 a pack. I suspected they did not make much on my purchases, as well as many other customers purchases. This just confirmed my suspicion in that regard.

Their point program is my goto place to get toilet paper.

TheDealMaker said:   Their point program is my goto place to get toilet paper.
  I find sardines are a good use of free SYW points also.  

javaman2003 said:   I think people are thinking from Sears the corporate entity. Look from eddy's angle, he bought lots of real estate for cheap. The retailer came for free. If he had shut down Sears stores in one stroke, he would be called cold calculated heartless hedge fund devil. Now he is just being portrait as incompetent.

and we're helping him with the rewards fleecing.. Wish I could turn it up faster.

Sears sent a letter telling me to make a purchase on my Sears Mastercard or they will cancel it. I'm gonna let them cancel it.
As far as SYWR...it was way too much trouble. Their tease emails would say I had points to use, so once in a while I would try and use them...they would never materalize at checkout . So if I want them I'm supposed to call the SYWR number and beg them for $5.00?

Fark em

kingdoodler said:   Sears sent a letter telling me to make a purchase on my Sears Mastercard or they will cancel it. I'm gonna let them cancel it.
As far as SYWR...it was way too much trouble. Their tease emails would say I had points to use, so once in a while I would try and use them...they would never materalize at checkout . So if I want them I'm supposed to call the SYWR number and beg them for $5.00?

Fark em

They haven't been sending you appealing offers to use the card? I keep getting all sorts of offers giving me 10% back (sometimes as a statement credit and sometimes in SYW points... my dad gets them in ThankYou points for some reason) for spending at groceries, restaurants, and gas stations. Sometimes even 10% on all purchases at anywhere that isn't Kmart or Sears. I had three offers going simultaneously last year that netted me 30% on about $300 worth of purchases. Right now I'm getting 10% in SYW points on the groceries/restaurants/gas stations. For that reason, this card keeps coming out of the sock drawer a lot.

Remember, Sears was taken over and has been run by the K-Mart bankruptcy management team, so ever since its been run into the ground just like Kmart was. Very sad end to two once great employers and retailers.

I am confused -- paper goods? Our Sears has never had paper towels and toilet paper. (or sardines, if that wasn't a jokey comment.)

Our Sears is probably on the small and horrible side of things (even for Sears, which is saying a lot). In other words, if anyone needs a filming location to double for 1970s East Germany, complete with vast stretches of empty, dusty shelves and barren, mocking clothing racks, a strange grey atmospheric haze, and deadened demeanors concealing silent screams, our mall's Sears is your oyster.

oppidum said:   I am confused -- paper goods? Our Sears has never had paper towels and toilet paper. (or sardines, if that wasn't a jokey comment.)
Shop Your Way Reward points can be redeemed at Sears or Kmart (the home of TP and sardines).

NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   
oppidum said:   I am confused -- paper goods? Our Sears has never had paper towels and toilet paper. (or sardines, if that wasn't a jokey comment.)
Shop Your Way Reward points can be redeemed at Sears or Kmart (the home of TP and sardines).

I see, thank you for explaining.

Our local Kmart was closed about 2 years ago, and I'm *not a Shop Your Way Reward points member...

*well, actually I am a Shop Your Way Reward points member, BUT I misplaced my membership number a couple of years ago, and they refuse to tell me my membership number, and won't talk to me about anything else regarding the account unless I give them my number, and they won't send any documents or help to the mailing address or the email address listed in the account.  They won't accept driver's licence, identification of past purchases, etc. as ID.  I hardly shop at those places anyway, so I gave up trying to solve it, after making several attempts involving lots of phone calls to their various corporate entities.  However, in a nonsensical security loophole, even though I didn't know the account number and they refused to try to help me recover access to the account, they did let me use the points that had been built up in the account until that time (it was substantial, like $50) on a purchase of an appliance if I could give them the name, street address, and phone number associated with the Rewards account at the register during checkout, which I did.  They also won't close the account because they don't accept that I am authorized to request that it be closed. 
(Such a bureaucratic tangle does fit into the wider theme of a behind-the-iron-curtain atmosphere.)

Have you tried creating an account / signing in at shopyourway.com? As you said you have an email address on the account, you should be able to access it that way.

Otherwise, have you ever shopped on the Sears or Kmart website? Your Shop Your Way login details are the same as Sears & Kmart, so you should be able to access all three sites using the same login details.

peps2004 said:   Have you tried creating an account / signing in at shopyourway.com? As you said you have an email address on the account, you should be able to access it that way.
Otherwise, have you ever shopped on the Sears or Kmart website? Your Shop Your Way login details are the same as Sears & Kmart, so you should be able to access all three sites using the same login details.

I tried everything a couple of years ago.  I spoke on the phone with people at Sears HQ several times, as well as to their shop your way program technical people.  If there had been a way, we would have found it.  They were not allowed to give me the information that I needed to complete any procedure that would have worked. 

It was ironic, with their admirably-steadfast but poorly-thought-through emphasis on their security procedures and the sanctity of customer account privacy, that the only thing they did let me do with the account, without requiring any proof at all beyond supplying a phone number and possibly a street address and surname at the time of purchase, was to utilize the many points/dollars that were in the account at that time to buy something at my local Sears store, which I did.  That was the last purchase I made at a Sears, certainly the last one where I dealt with the SYW program.  (I may have later helped my aunt to pick out a robe there for her husband who was going to be entering a nursing home, though I think they didn't have anything suitable and we went to Kohl's. )

And, as I say, our dreadfully run-down Kmart closed down a couple of years ago, and before then, I had gone into it just a handful of times in the prior 30 years.  I never used the SYW account regarding a Kmart purchase -- at the time I'm sure that I didn't even know it was possible to earn those points at Kmart -- maybe the last time I shopped at Kmart, it was before Sears had bought Kmart and merged the points program....  I am fuzzy on their corporate history.

Thanks for your suggestions though, I appreciate them!

I do remember that I tried to make a new account after all else had failed, and they wouldn't let me use the same name and address or something, so that was a lost cause also.  If I shopped there a lot and the points program was something that I wanted to utilize, I guess I could sign up using a relative's name and address, but otherwise I'm not bothered.

Oppidum, you're not alone. I never got the SYW points to work either.

oppidum said:   ... it was before Sears had bought Kmart FYI - Kmart (post bankruptcy) bought Sears.

Fascinating.
I tried to buy some tires at Sears, but the SYW system, and poorly worded
program requirements (luckily) kept me away from purchase for several days.
Ooops, a much superior deal at NTB showed up on July 5th, so much for SYW.
Still, have had great luck buying appliances from Sears, and as an institution
would/will be sorry to see it go.

JiggleTheHandle said:   Me too. SYW rewards has been a goldmine leading to frequent 1-minute late store pick-ups which lead to Sears "Sorry" store credits which is another nice goldmine.

Shopping at Sears is more of a sure thing than a yard sale in a rich neighborhood.

Shoppers need more retailers competing for our attention, not fewer.

Evander said:   I for one, and am big fan of Sears. ..

How do the 1 minute late credits work?
I have gotten emails about shipments to stores being delayed.  But, they did not give me anything.

We were in NH [no sales tax], one of the batteries in our travel trailer was dying.
2 choices:
_ buy one at WM [we had been "living" on their parking lot for too long]
_ wait a few days and buy one at SC

cost over $100

on our way to the Library, we passed by a K-Mart.

Nothing better to do.
Shelves empty, laughable prices .... a ghost town.

Looked at deep cycle batteries.

the one we needed was surprisingly on clearance, something like 1/2 price.

WM has a sign on the shelf saying that they will charge you [forgot exact amount] $20 for core disposal, refunded when you bring back a dead battery. 

The morons at K-Mart, DEDUCTED the $20 from the shelf price, and we did not have to bring back a dead battery. 

We paid $43 net for a battery that costs over $100. 
[manuf. date was good]

And we wonder how they can stay in business ? ? ?

SWY is crazy, crazy good for me. They will be missed but the deals reminds me of the crazy dot.com days. I keep getting $10/$20 "free" surprise point in my account.

Skipping 2 Messages...
There is a new article out today entitled:

Moody's: Sears ' and Kmart 's shutdown is imminent.Take it for what it's worth:

Moody's analysts say Sears and Kmart don't have enough money — or access to money — to stay in business.

In a note published Wednesday, the analysts downgraded Sears ' liquidity rating, saying the company is bleeding cash and will have to continue to rely on outside funding or the sale of assets, such as real estate, to sustain operations.

More: http://www.aol.com/article/finance/2016/09/14/moodys-sears-and-k... 

You may want to consider using any gift cards and/or SYW points. I think after they declare bankruptcy any Shop Your Way points you have banked will be worthless. 

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017