• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
My gas water heater is broke and looking for a new water heater.  I am looking at, either replace with new Gas Water Heater or switch over to Hybrid Electric Heat Pump.  Any recommendations?

Hybrid Electric Heat Pump seems to be efficient, but not sure if it is economical long term when compared to Gas Water Heater

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
I just shopped gas replacement vs tankless. I finally found an old school plumber. He said Tankless was slow to warm the water. I am not sure how that compares to what you are shopping for, but I would look around for your own old school plumber and see what he says. I went with a new gas AO Smith 50 gallon. My old school plumber got me in the wholesaler who accepted my DiscoverCard getting me the Discover 5% cashback. My perception is I saved a good bit vs Lowes or Menards or Home Depot, etc.

AO Smith product comparison web site
http://www.hotwater.com/water-heaters/residential/ 

rated:
Thank you, I think I will look for a Gas Water Heater only

Looks like GE will stop manufacturing Hybrid Heat Pumps by end of this year

http://www.bizjournals.com/louisville/news/2016/08/26/ge-applian...

rated:
I did extensive research on this. Go with gas due to reliability.

rated:
Gas

rated:
I thought tank less was the way to go due to efficiency, on demand hot water, never-ending supply, etc.

rated:
Tankless can be very unreliable, especially if you have hard water. It tends to clog with deposits.
It's also quite complex, and therefore hard to fix.
In addition, you have to run a new electric line to it. They require A LOT of power when water is being drawn through them. In an older house, the service panel might need to be upgraded, and potentially the main line itself from the pole.
Even just running the line in the house is not cheap, unless you can (and are allowed) to run it yourself.

The hybrid option sounds good, until you take into account that it takes a very long time to heat the water. You therefore need a much bigger tank. It is also a lot more complex and expensive, and would cost much more to fix.
Finally, the location of the tank would impact efficiency. If it's in a freezing cold garage in winter, the heat pump won't be very efficient, just like in an HVAC system.
Whether it's economical depends completely on the price of electric vs gas in a particular area. No way of knowing via FW.

rated:
I have a gas operated, Tankless hot water heater. (I know your looking for a Hybrid Electric Heat Pump) There's unlimited water, once it heats up. You can shut it off, when you go on vacation. There's only one flaw. In most cases every year, you have to flush it out with vinegar, and use a water pump to do it, or use a Plumber. I do this every 2 years. I think the hot water heater, has a 10 year warranty. Mine is 5 yrs old.

It's a gas, you should go with a Tankless,operated by gas. I think if there's a leak, it won't flood your house like a gas water heater.

rated:
I agree with Marvinmatic go with the gas tankless water heater. Only other thing is to go with the larger unit especially since you're in the NE which is very cold during winter. Depending on the number of showers/faucets running at the same time (hot water loads). The incoming water temp to the tankless needs to heat up the water to ~100C (depends on your preference). If the number of hot water loads is large ~7gal/min and the water temp rise (incoming water temp - ~100C) then you may need two units in parrallel or have a supplemental electric unit close to the bathroom. The other issue is the water pressure coming out of the unit will be lower then the water pressure of the house because the tankless water heater outputs a much lower pressure.

rated:
I think there's a Federal Tax Credit, if you buy a Tankless water heater.

rated:
Thanks everyone, decided to get a Gas water heater (Rheem). Unbelievable how much it costs for installation

rated:
New install often requires to get up to code. This may include a drain pan, expansion tank, etc.

rated:
You need to shop around for an old school plumber. With sharbite fittings, it can be pretty cheap to DIY. Gas is probably the correct call for a water heater. At one point there were pretty big rebates on the hybrid heater, it was basically free after the rebate, but those wound down. Same problem with the tankless gas water heater, you probably need a 3/4 inch gas line instead of a 1/2 inch so there's extra cost in plumbing in and then you might need the gas meter upgraded as it uses more gas to heat the water quickly. Sure it uses a little less gas, but if you do the math on the installation cost and the long term costs, it'd take you 10+ years to recoup any savings and that's assuming it doesn't break in those 10+ years. They're known to break after about 5 years or so and then no one knows how to fix them and you can't get the parts.

rated:
Marvinomatic said:   I think there's a Federal Tax Credit, if you buy a Tankless water heater.

how competitive is final price compared to a regular gas?

rated:
If you have piped natural gas available, get a gas heater.  Hybrid heaters cost much more and have high failure rates because of the heatpump mechanism, which is essentially an air conditioner.  

Installing a regular water heater isn't that difficult, especially if you use CPVC pipe (not PVC).  It has to be glued together with CPVC glue (not PVC glue).

rated:
needhelpplease said:   
Marvinomatic said:   I think there's a Federal Tax Credit, if you buy a Tankless water heater.

how competitive is final price compared to a regular gas?

https://www.irs.gov/uac/energy-incentives-for-individuals-reside...

IRS Deduction

I'm not qualified to do the analysis. I sell Tupperware p/t! LOL  I'm not a Heat Engineer.  

rated:
Gas isn't an option for me unless I want to have propane installed.
I didn't have a water heater before (using boiler) but that's not efficient in summer.
So I just had the GE Hybrid installed.  Plumber's estimate $130/yr to run.
There's a $400 rebate from my state, $300 Federal tax credit,  went through Shop at Home for 6% back from Sears where I paid w/ SYWR pts and gift cards.
~$15 AR for the tank.  Its the installation I'm paying for.

rated:
my4mainecoons said:   Gas isn't an option for me unless I want to have propane installed.
I didn't have a water heater before (using boiler) but that's not efficient in summer.
So I just had the GE Hybrid installed.  Plumber's estimate $130/yr to run.
There's a $400 rebate from my state, $300 Federal tax credit,  went through Shop at Home for 6% back from Sears where I paid w/ SYWR pts and gift cards.
~$15 AR for the tank.  Its the installation I'm paying for.

^^^^^^^^^  <- I nominate for most useless post of the year!

How much in gift cards?  $1?  $1 million?

How much was the heater before "gift cards?" 

rated:
The water heater was about $1100 but that's not my point.
If the OP lives in a state that subsidizes such things, the heat pump might be the cheaper option.
But since you asked, I used about $200 in SYWR points and about $200 in Sears gift cards and the balance was paid with my Discover card for 5% back.
I'll get back $400 from the state once I submit the rebate form and the $300 tax credit when I file taxes for 2016.
I didn't pay anything for the Sears gift cards nor for the SYWR points.

A friend is buying the GE Hybrid water heater this month.  Her plumber told her to get that rather than a propane tankless heater.
She's not sure how long she'll be living in the house and the tankless heater was a lot more expensive.
No deals on tankless heaters.  Energy efficiency rebates and tax credits available for the heat pump.
She asked me to help her get it for less.
Its $999 at Lowe's.  I had her get a Discover IT card.  She's getting a $50 sign up bonus, will get 5% back immediately and another 5% back at the end of first year.
She will also get the $400 rebate from the State and a $300 federal tax credit.
So her net will be $999 - $50 sign up - $100 Discover cash back - $400 rebate from the state - $300 Federal tax credit = $149.
(and I'm getting $50 referral bonus from Discover)

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016