• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Mod note: this was archived. I am cutting and pasting the information since it hasn't paid yet. All credits goes to the OP flwsoldier.
I got a postcard in the mail for a JCPenney settlement. It includes a unique "Customer ID Number"
It does appear that you can still join the settlement, even without the customer id number.
Looks to be California only.

If you purchased one or more private or exclusive branded items of apparel or accessories from JCPenney while in California between November 5, 2010 and January 31, 2012, or between January 1, 2013 and December 31, 2014, that were advertised at a discount of at least 30% off the stated “original” or “regular" price, and you have not received a refund or credit for your purchase, you will be eligible to receive benefits from a Settlement with JC Penney. You need to submit this Claim Form if you want to receive a cash payment or a store credit. The deadline to file a claim is June 30, 2016. The amount of the cash payment or store credit will be determined based on a formula contained in the Settlement Agreement and in the notice you received. Additional information regarding the formula and the Settlement can be found at www.JCPenneysettlement.com. 

To claim a store credit you may submit the Claim Form by mail or online at www.JCPenneysettlement.com.If submitting by U.S. Mail, print and complete this Claim Form and mail it to the following address postmarkedon or before June 30, 2016:

Claims Administrator:     
JCPenney Settlement     
c/o Heffler Claims Group
P.O. Box 0509
Philadelphia, PA 19105-0509

To claim a cash payment, you must complete this Claim Form and mail it to the following address postmarked on or before June 30, 2016:

Claims Administrator:    
JCPenney Settlement    
c/o Heffler Claims Group      
P.O. Box 0509
Philadelphia, PA 19105-0509

You cannot file an online claim for a cash payment

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Assuming the Court awards the full amount of requested attorneys’ fees
($13,500,000), costs reimbursement ($191,080.91), Plaintiff enhancement
payment ($10,000) and administrative fees ($2,667,000), the balance of the
$50,000,000 settlement fund to be distributed to Claimants would be
$33,631,919.09. As of the date of this declaration, 158,787 Claimants will
share in the net settlement, so the average payout to each Claimant would be
$211.81, although the actual amount that each Claimant will receive will vary
depending on the total number of valid claims and the number of points
assigned based on the allocation plan provided in the Settlement Agreement.

Hey Virgil27,

In case people are doing a site search for it, the class action suit is apparently called "Spann v. JCPenney Corporation".

I did a site search for that on Fatwallet yesterday (before this new thread was posted by you), and I wasn't able to find anything. 

[So if someone types in "Spann" to the search function, now this thread will come up.    ]

from: https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/deal-discussion/1170656 
CouponClippen said:   I don't know where the Spann v. JCPenney Corporation, Inc. post ended up
oppidum said:   I had not remembered seeing it on FW, and it didn't turn up today in a search of Fatwallet,
so for people's general information, I looked it up online:

Claim Deadline: was June 30th, 2016.

Class Members: "all individuals who while in the State of California purchased one or more private or exclusive branded items of apparel or accessories advertised at a discount of at least 30 percent off the “original” or “regular” price between Nov. 5, 2010 and Jan. 31, 2012 or Jan. 1, 2013 and Dec. 31, 2014."

Background: "J.C. Penney agreed to pay $50 million to settle accusations that the department store chain engaged in a “false advertising” scheme. Plaintiff Cynthia Spann filed the fake sale class action lawsuit after allegedly purchasing three blouses that were marked with an “original” price of $30, on sale for $17.99 each. Spann says she discovered later that those same shirts were not priced above $17.99 in the three months prior to her purchase, in violation of California state law. J.C. Penney tried to get the class action lawsuit dismissed but was denied that request by U.S. District Judge Fernando Olguin who agreed with the plaintiff that it was possible that reasonable consumers would not have made the purchases they did, had they known the price-comparisons were fake. J.C. Penney has not admitted to doing anything wrong but agreed to settle to avoid the cost of further litigation."

information from: https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settlements/closed-settlements/329427-jc-penney-fake-sale-class-action-lawsuit-settlement/

On October 7, 2016, an appeal to the J.C. Penney Fake Sale settlement was filed. Claims will not be paid until all appeals are resolved.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
    Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016