• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:

Allegiant Air, with ultra-low fares, draws FAA s attention over safety concerns - The Washington Post
Disclaimer

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

~~The chief executive of Allegiant Air is Maurice “Maury” J. Gallagher Jr., who ran ValuJet until one of its planes plunged into the Florida Everglades in 1996, killing all 110 people aboard.

interesting...  Its nice to know that the airline industry is one in which a colossal failure can simply begin anew and become successful under a new name. 

Stay clear.

Stick with the big boys airlines

Their fares are equally dicey. Fees if you pay by credit card, seat selection, carry-ons, etc. It can be cheaper if you pack really light, use a debit card, etc. but why save a couple bucks when the odds of you possibly not making it back from your flight is higher than any other airline?

skarydrunkguy said:   ~~The chief executive of Allegiant Air is Maurice “Maury” J. Gallagher Jr., who ran ValuJet until one of its planes plunged into the Florida Everglades in 1996, killing all 110 people aboard.

interesting...  Its nice to know that the airline industry is one in which a colossal failure can simply begin anew and become successful under a new name. 

ValueJet was renamed to AirTran after that accident.  Now part of Southwest.

Can't believe I put my wife on one of those flights. I must be a true FWer.

RidicuRuss said:   
skarydrunkguy said:   ~~The chief executive of Allegiant Air is Maurice “Maury” J. Gallagher Jr., who ran ValuJet until one of its planes plunged into the Florida Everglades in 1996, killing all 110 people aboard.

nm

MISTERCHEAP said:   
RidicuRuss said:   

I don't think that's   accurate. AirTran already existed, they purchased assets from ValuJet when it went into receivership is how I recall it. Air Tran's management was never ValuJet's management.

Strangely, ValuJet bought AirTran, then they abandoned the tarnished ValuJet name.

They haven't made DC-9's since 1982. All of Allegiant's planes are hand-me-downs that other airlines decided were too old or too expensive to fly/maintain. No thank you.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017