Paypal/Ebay Hiding Ebay Gift Card Balances

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I thought it was bad enough that eBay gift cards could not be used for purchasing other gift cards on eBay, but  can someone figure out how to find your remaining eBay gift card balances from what used to be your Paypal wallet?  I've checked, and I hope someone has a better solution, but for those who have relied on Paypal wallet classic site to store, organize, and access their eBay gift card balances, neither Paypal nor eBay track these for you anymore.  From what I've noticed, the Paypal wallet classic site can no longer access eBay gift card balances.  eBay has a new feature under "gift cards" in the upper left hand side of the main page to check balances only.  So if you never recorded the eBay gift card codes or kept the original physical gift cards that still have balances on them, you will be hard pressed trying to find what remaining balances you have in eBay gift cards, in spite of these being locked to your account after first use.    Another FW thread mentions using this link: 

This paypal link will show any eBay GC's that have been applied to your paypal account and their respective balances, as well as the transactions they were applied to. Are you sure it's an eBay issue? I've done several K over the last month or so and haven't had any issues.Explicit link for those worried this is a phishing attempt... https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/customerprofileweb?cmd=_profile-pie-available 

I believe Paypal only recorded gift card balances given by this link until (I am guessing) about May 2016. I used many gift cards past this date and they were not recorded here.  I had to physically locate and enter the balances in eBay 's gift card checker site to figure out balances from the physical cards that I had kept.   I can envision scenarios where items purchased with an eBay gift card has a balance left over, owner loses track of the code, and the code will go unused, or one or more items are purchased with multiple gift card cards, an item is returned and multiple gift cards are credited, but if owner hadn't kept track of multiple gift card codes, eBay pockets the change.  

Obviously eBay /Paypal used to and still does track your gift cards balance and usage, and it would seem logical that since they are locked to your account after the first use, that they should track it for you. However, Paypal made it increasingly more difficult to track these and gave no warning the wallet tracking feature would diminish and cease altogether in about May 2016.  It is unconscionable that eBay could treat customers this way and hide behind the plausible deniability of the eBay /Paypal split to say they don't have to track Paypal's eBay gift card numbers, which could only result in financial gain for eBay and/ or Paypal.  

If you are not organized enough to record and track eBay gift card codes, and have a habit of not using the cards up completely, or returning purchased items for refund, do not purchase eBay gift cards - you will be burned.  If the above statements hold true, then in my opinion it is a form of theft for eBay /Paypal to hide gift card balances from users, and someone should threaten a class action lawsuit against eBay /Paypal to restore each owner's gift card balances on-line.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Calm down. You've nothing to worry about. The balance of all PayPal GCs is now $0.00 after the website hack they are trying to hide: www.fatwallet.com/forums/deal-discussion/1525220 

This isn't anything new, it was announced awhile back.

You want a class action lawsuit because you lost your gift card codes?!

I think the issue here is Paypal used the concept of the "wallet". A reasonable person would assume something left in the "wallet" would securely remain in the "wallet" until used. When things "disappear" from the wallet (note: credit cards and bank accounts are still there), that is through no fault of the user, then that is theft.

I believe this is related to the split of paypal and eBay. eBay gift cards were previously issued by Paypal. After the split, eBay is weaning themselves off paypal and presumably bringing gift cards in house. Probably eBay will eventually restore the functionality, but they are experts are providing a terrible, bureaucratic experience, so it will probably take a good 10 years.

jw530 said:   I think the issue here is Paypal used the concept of the "wallet". A reasonable person would assume something left in the "wallet" would securely remain in the "wallet" until used. When things "disappear" from the wallet (note: credit cards and bank accounts are still there), that is through no fault of the user, then that is theft.

I think the issue here is you're late to the party. The previous post about this being a result of the eBay PayPal split is correct. That's not recent at all. Even before that, the wallet wasn't all that reliable for storing eBay gift cards. Google around and you'll see.

holy blue eBay batman!

I had an issue at one point and after being a squeeky wheel for a long time I got it resolved. I used this email address. GiftCard-CS@eBay.com

As an update, eBay now shows partially used eBay gift cards and their balances when making a purchase, after logging into paypal. You are given the option to use whichever card(s) you want to when making a purchase. So eBay gift card remaining balance problem is solved for now.

Back in March, there was a big mess using coupon and eBay GC as payment. Many people had the eBay GC taken but not applied to the orders. With the current system showing the partially used GCs, I just found that the $15 I lost in March was eventually returned to the GC.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017