Home Theater Seating / Recliners

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Looking for a set of recliners for the home theater.  I prefer 4 seater.  My budget is flexible.

Costco has a set of 3 for $2200 (after $600 off)  It is top grain but does not have the bells and whistles (such as usb charger, lighted cup holder, tray table, storage space etc)

Local furniture store has this set of 3 for about $1500 after discounts.It is bonded leather but has all the bells and whistles.

4seating.com (never heard of them before) seems to have a huge (and rather confusing) selection.  A 4-seater top grain leather recliner with bells and whistles is approx $3200.
All prices include delivery and setup and tax.

Any comments or feedback?
Is power seating worth the hype?  Is it too slow?  Does it break down?
Where did you buy your home theater seating?  What do you recommend?

edit: added minor details

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Bonded Leather? If you don't mind it peeling in about 2 years. That's how long 'bonded' leather lasts.
Even 'Top Grain' leather is usually bonded leather (The top grain means only parts are Top grain). Costco's usually last but that's because it's real top grain leather.
All those 'bells and whistles' are added to crap furniture because it's to hide that the furniture is crap.

*advice from a person who didn't listen and had to replace his furniture after 2 years*

I would have to agree that the bonded leather or cheaper furniture is not worth it. I had the same thing happen, started to peel. Costco has a pretty good warranty so that wouldn't be too bad. I just did some quick research and it appears some people like the brand Magnolia Home Theater Seating. They seem to be pretty high quality too.

Magnolia is Best Buy...  https://www.magnoliaav.com/shop/furniture-accessories/seating/

Do not buy anything made by Lane.

La-z-boy makes good quality chairs, don't know if they have Home Theater.

Thank you for your comments.
Forbin, if I may ask, which one did you end up getting?
Thanks for the tip on Magnolia. Did not know Best Buy sold furniture (shows my ignorance). Will take a look.

The 4seating.com guys seem to be pushing Seatcraft a lot. Never heard of them either. Any idea about them?

I bought the seatcraft Sienna from 4seating. I've only owned it for 6 months but it's really nice. Mechanism works well. I got the top grain leather version and it feels very comfortable to me. If I had to do it again though I would have gotten the Grenada. The Sienna is a space saver model and the arm rest isn't padded. I wanted to fit 5 seats and it's the only model that would allow that. Also I got a dual love seat with a center seat. There's one fewer arm rest than chairs so the mechanism for the seat is in the chair itself. I'd also recommend skipping the white glove service. The chairs come separate. They don't physically connect. There's no reason to have someone schlep them for you unless you really have no one to help you.

You can definitely feel the difference between bonded and top grain leather. That being said, I've been very happy with my past bonded leather sofa set purchase - no issues in quality and less than half the cost. Now that I am older though, I'd go for real leather.

ETA:
my current theater room seating is bonded leather, a few years old and has taken a beating by my kids (dropped food that has caked on, etc).  It is not peeling, but still in great condition.

forbin4040 said:   Bonded Leather? If you don't mind it peeling in about 2 years. That's how long 'bonded' leather lasts.
Even 'Top Grain' leather is usually bonded leather (The top grain means only parts are Top grain). Costco's usually last but that's because it's real top grain leather.
All those 'bells and whistles' are added to crap furniture because it's to hide that the furniture is crap.

*advice from a person who didn't listen and had to replace his furniture after 2 years*

+1. We went shopping for a dining room table a couple years ago and the wife got distracted by a red leather couch. I was so shocked that she liked something with color that I didn't bother to ask about the leather. It's bonded and the recliner started peeling after under 2 years. I had paid for a warranty (relax, it was like $150 total for the couch and recliner) that was supposed to cover ANYTHING. Turns out I should have just stuck a knife in the chair because the warranty company denied it as "normal wear and tear". After less than two years of casual use!!!? Luckily, we had bought the furniture from the manager of the store and he sent someone out to fix it on his dime. Unfortunately, the repair is now failing so I will need to call him back and see what they can do. I will NEVER buy bonded leather again.  

ssgcinty said:   Thank you for your comments.
Forbin, if I may ask, which one did you end up getting?
Thanks for the tip on Magnolia. Did not know Best Buy sold furniture (shows my ignorance). Will take a look.

The 4seating.com guys seem to be pushing Seatcraft a lot. Never heard of them either. Any idea about them?

I ended up with Sams Club Redfield (Same as Costco but costco was out).  The leather is good so far, but the sides don't hold up well (I needed to screw in a side because the nails can't handle repeated use of the recliner knob),  I've only had it a year however if something does go wrong, it's Sams Club.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/redfield-recliner-fall-2015/prod182... 

And yes I agree with Drew510, Furniture leather warranty doesn't apply to peeling (no matter WHAT the salesperson tells you).

These are what I have for my theater room. I purchased a row of 3 and a row of 4 with love seat in middle
They have all the bells and whistles including cooled cup holders and usb
About $1k a seat

http://www.rtheaters.com/FusionCollection/

'Not sure it meets your requirements, but Repose makes an upholstered gaming chair that's the Cadillac of gaming chairs. I don't game. I use for my home theater and am particularly fond of the built-in transducer in the base.

http://www.homecinemacenter.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=R...

Again, may not meet your needs but maybe helpful for other readers.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017