HDMI output resolution of budget laptop?

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Best Buy currently has this Dell laptop on sale.  The built in screen resolution is 1366 x 768 (not unusual for lower end laptops).  However, it appears that the integrated Intel HD Graphics 5500 is capable of supporting full 1080 resolutions.  Does anyone know if this laptop (or others like it) would be able to output the full 1080 resolution through the HDMI port to a TV or monitor even though the attached physical screen resolution is lower?

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Unless they have crippled the video system somehow this should be no problem for you. I have a Thinkpad, 3rd gen i5 with the basic Intel graphics and 1366x768 screen. It drives a 1440p monitor via Displayport and 1200p via HDMI at the same time. I was surprised it works so well.

yes they can output the full resolution, its windows settings for cloning the desktop or extending it or only showing it on the higher resolution monitor.

Yes, I have a Toshiba laptop with HD5500 graphics, output via HDMI to a 1080p monitor. It all works absolutely fine, with no issues.

Thanks for the feedback...   I don't mind the built in screen at 768, but I would use a laptop like this to output streaming video sometimes and would like to have the full 1080 for that purpose because that would be the native resolution of most of my TVs, monitors, etc.

Basically budget laptops claims 1080p, but when connected to HDMI, they are usually downsized to 480p. Budget laptops just don't have the ability to manage so many pixels.

'Budget' laptop or not, the HD5500 can certainly handle 1920x1080 and probably much, much more...

"Up to three displays can be connected via DP 1.2/eDP 1.3 (max. 3840 x 2160 @ 60 Hz) or HDMI 1.4a (max. 3840 x 2160 @ 24 Hz)."

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-HD-Graphics-5500.125586.0.htm...

Can easily handle a single 1080p panel with ease.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017