Moody's: Sears' and Kmart's shutdown is imminent

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Combined with SWY points, I found some amazing deals.  The trick is to select "Sears" or "Kmart" only.

CITI TYU is having... (more)

ZenNUTS (Sep. 27, 2016 @ 5:45p) |

I hear you. That is my struggle with the Best Buy certificates. I can't justify using them on something that I can find ... (more)

montee4 (Sep. 28, 2016 @ 12:04p) |

Some merchants may not accept gift cards during a liquidation sale.  I recall several local retail companies that only a... (more)

fedguy (Sep. 28, 2016 @ 4:44p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Ironically enough, the story is on AOL which everybody also thought was going to disappear. But, yeah, the end really is nigh for these two.

shocker!

Still, you have to admit that the fact that they've remained in business for the past 15 years (and possibly still have a few more left in them) against the odds is almost a success story.

Should be in Finance section.

Eddie Lampert should go to prison for what he has done to these two companies

Kmart in my area closing next month.

EradicateSpam said:   Should be in Finance section.

Eddie Lampert should go to prison for what he has done to these two companies

no it shouldn't, this is directly related to people sitting on Gift Cards, Points to use up, decisions to keep shopping there, etc. who cares about the finance section, this is about a CHAIN STORE going belly up potentially.

anonguy said:   Ironically enough, the story is on AOL which everybody also thought was going to disappear. But, yeah, the end really is nigh for these two.

nm

https://www.moodys.com/research/Moodys-downgrades-Sears-Speculat...

It seems to me the "shutdown is imminent" is the media interpretation of a Moodys downgrade. I don't think Moody's said that.

I've no doubt Sears is doomed. But the question is when?

Craftsman tool lifetime warranties . . . . kaput.

shinobi1 said:   Craftsman tool lifetime warranties . . . . kaput.

Fortunately your lifetime will exceed Sears lifetime.

When I visit Sears they give me the impression they want to go out of business. No customer service, no where to check out, lack of selection, and so on. When I was a kid, Sears had everything.  If they didn't have what you want, you ordered it from the catalog. Not any more.

A Kmart store recently closed near my area. In the last year before it was closed, it was like walking into a library. I think the only time that it had more customers than store workers is during the Black Friday sales.

They can keep selling off real estate and popular brands to keep funding losses for a while.  My bet is that it lasts at least til 2019 when Eddie's unsecured bonds from 2-3 capital infusions back come due.

if running a business badly was a crime, I'd guess a good fraction of public company's managements would have to be locked up.  

Haven't they been saying for years that these two are closing down soon?

raceman73 said:   Haven't they been saying for years that these two are closing down soon?

Not for years. The only reason they are still breathing is because they're closing stores and selling off prime real estate. That can only go on for so long before the creditors and vendors realize that game cannot be played forever. Once the vendors stop their supplies and creditors demand recall of their loans because of missed payments, the game is over. The clock is ticking.

Ah, gotcha.

Someone will buy the Craftsman brand... probably Kenmore too. Sears might be a mess, but those two brands still have some value that could be realized in a liquidation. Home Depot or Lowes are probably the likeliest suitors.

Don't count on any warranties being honored, though.

What good is the brand with no warranty?

You are so right!!!

For those of you citing Forb3s articles... They have a "paywall" for those of you using AB+ (you let them put a few ads on the viewing or they won't let you in). Worse than W5J, at least you've got the Google workaround on their paywalled articles.

So use another FREER source if you can...

billetera said:   For those of you citing Forb3s articles... They have a "paywall" for those of you using AB+ (you let them put a few ads on the viewing or they won't let you in). Worse than W5J, at least you've got the Google workaround on their paywalled articles.

So use another FREER source if you can...

Let me introduce you to archive.is

http://archive.is/Z0eGc

Thanks!

Now you know that whenever citing a Forb3s, W5J or other web page that is paywalled (in money or forced ad insertion) in some form that they should deliver some sort of workaround...

Sears is running a 10% off sale today (front page banner). The terms have some specific locations excluded and that makes me wonder if they are next. "Excludes Sears Hometown, Outlet, Appliance Showroom, and Hardware stores and in store in Grand Rapids, MI; Portage, MI; Bartlesville, OK; Hackensack, NJ; Paramus, NJ; St. George, UT."

sullim4 said:   Someone will buy the Craftsman brand... probably Kenmore too. Sears might be a mess, but those two brands still have some value that could be realized in a liquidation. Home Depot or Lowes are probably the likeliest suitors.

Don't count on any warranties being honored, though.

Ace Hardware is already a major seller of Craftsman tools.

I can see the Craftsman brand being continued, probably by pushing out some store brands, but Kenmore seems useless without Sears.

measella said:   Sears is running a 10% off sale today (front page banner). The terms have some specific locations excluded and that makes me wonder if they are next. "Excludes Sears Hometown, Outlet, Appliance Showroom, and Hardware stores and in store in Grand Rapids, MI; Portage, MI; Bartlesville, OK; Hackensack, NJ; Paramus, NJ; St. George, UT."

I do not know about the other stores, but the Hackensack and Paramus locations are closed on Sunday by law.

I've been trying to use my gift cards. But every time I find something I want at Sears.com, I find a better price at some other company, such as WalMart.com or Amazon. Maybe I can use them at a going-out-of-business sale.

9000 said:   I've been trying to use my gift cards. But every time I find something I want at Sears. com, I find a better price at some other company, such as WalMart. com or Amazon. Maybe I can use them at a going-out-of-business sale.
  Combined with SWY points, I found some amazing deals.  The trick is to select "Sears" or "Kmart" only.

CITI TYU is having a sale of Sears GC (YMMV), 4500 pt for $50 card.  It's tempting since I still buy tools and boots.

9000 said:   I've been trying to use my gift cards. But every time I find something I want at Sears. com, I find a better price at some other company, such as WalMart. com or Amazon. Maybe I can use them at a going-out-of-business sale.
  I hear you. That is my struggle with the Best Buy certificates. I can't justify using them on something that I can find cheaper somewhere else, yet I can only use them at Best Buy. I think this is some sort of medical condition to be honest.

Some merchants may not accept gift cards during a liquidation sale.  I recall several local retail companies that only accepted cash and credit during their going out of business sales.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017