• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Seems like T-Mobile is trying to make people who wants to trade in their old iPhone 6 or 6S to iPhone 7 sign up or switch to T-Mobile One plan. I don't need unlimited data plan and don't want to pay extra $50 from my current 2 lines for $70 (I get 6GB LTE per line). If I have to pay extra $50 for 24 months, then T-Mobile just made extra $1,200 plus trade-in value of 2 iPhone 6 (approximately $800). It would be a better deal if I just keep my old plan and buy unlocked iPhone 7 from Apple Store and sell 2 iPhone 6 on CL or eBay.

T-Mobile must think consumers are not too smart and will sign up for T-Mobile One plan to get a free iPhone 7 (with iPhone 6 or 6S trade-in).

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

docjoo said:   Seems like T-Mobile is trying to make people who wants to trade in their old iPhone 6 or 6S to iPhone 7 sign up or switch to T-Mobile One plan. I don't need unlimited data plan and don't want to pay extra $50 from my current 2 lines for $70 (I get 6GB LTE per line). If I have to pay extra $50 for 24 months, then T-Mobile just made extra $1,200 plus trade-in value of 2 iPhone 6 (approximately $800). It would be a better deal if I just keep my old plan and buy unlocked iPhone 7 from Apple Store and sell 2 iPhone 6 on CL or eBay

T-Mobile must think consumers are not too smart and will sign up for T-Mobile One plan to get a free iPhone 7 (with iPhone 6 or 6S trade-in).

Well, it depends.  In your case, it's not a good deal, since you'd have to give up a plan you want to keep.  For other people, it can be a good deal. 

Headline should really read "T-Mobile's free iPhone 7 trade up program is not a good deal for me!"

It's not good deal for most people unless you really need unlimited plan and Sprint's service is not in your area. If not, the current T-Mobile plans are much cheaper than T-Mobile One.

docjoo said:   It's not good deal for most people unless you really need unlimited plan and Sprint 's service is not in your area. If not, the current T-Mobile plans are much cheaper than T-Mobile One.

You're on a grandfathered promotion plan, which isn't available anymore.  If you sign up today, and you want two lines with 6GB each, you're looking at $100/month.  Two lines on T-Mobile One (unlimited) is $120/month, so an extra $20.

If you have two iPhone 6 units (worth $800 total), your options are:

1. Sell them on eBay for $800, get 2x iPhone 7, and either pay $100+27*2=$154 per month for 24 months, for a total of $3700, less the $800 you get for the phones, so $2900 total net cost.
2. Trade them in, and pay $120/month for 24 months (including the 2x iPhone 7), which is also $2900.

So, it's almost the identical cost, plus you don't have to deal with the hassle of selling the phones yourself, and you get the bump up to the unlimited plan essentially for free.

In your case, if you sell the phones, and buy the new iPhones, you're looking at $70+27*2=124/month, so $3000, less the $800 for the phones, so $2200, so you save about $700, but that's because you have a grandfathered discount plan. 

cestmoi123 said:   
docjoo said:   It's not good deal for most people unless you really need unlimited plan and Sprint 's service is not in your area. If not, the current T-Mobile plans are much cheaper than T-Mobile One.

You're on a grandfathered promotion plan, which isn't available anymore.  If you sign up today, and you want two lines with 6GB each, you're looking at $100/month.  Two lines on T-Mobile One (unlimited) is $120/month, so an extra $20.

If you have two iPhone 6 units (worth $800 total), your options are:

1. Sell them on eBay for $800, get 2x iPhone 7, and either pay $100+27*2=$154 per month for 24 months, for a total of $3700, less the $800 you get for the phones, so $2900 total net cost.
2. Trade them in, and pay $120/month for 24 months (including the 2x iPhone 7), which is also $2900.

So, it's almost the identical cost, plus you don't have to deal with the hassle of selling the phones yourself, and you get the bump up to the unlimited plan essentially for free.

In your case, if you sell the phones, and buy the new iPhones, you're looking at $70+27*2=124/month, so $3000, less the $800 for the phones, so $2200, so you save about $700, but that's because you have a grandfathered discount plan. 

It's not really a grandfathered plan.  I got this plan 2 months ago through loyalty program when I called to cancel my 3rd line. T-Mobile thought I was going to cancel my remaining 2 lines and offered 2 lines for $70 (6GB per line) for making a billing mistake on my account.
But you are right, it's not worth upgrading to T-Mobile One plan for existing customers. They will have a better deal during Black Friday since iPhone 7 initial demand will be gone soon.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017