Help! Skype voucher/credit expired!

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I purchased a 2 Skype credit voucher for $50 each on 12/20/2013
There is no word on the webpage or email confirmation states that this voucher will expire.
I redeemed 1 codes just after purchased. And I don't want to load all credit at same time.
So I kept 1 code...until recently, I need to add more credits into my Skype account, then I pull out the code and put in.
Surprise...."This voucher has expired!" (The system response)

I immediately called Microsoftstore.com and Skype customer service, they both told me they have nothing can do!
Skype told me the code is expired on 1/31/2015 (In the email confirmation, no single word mentioned the expiration on this voucher) and suggest me to talk to Microsoftstore.com
Microsoftstore.com told me they cannot do anything with it. Even the agent cannot find expiration information on their current product page.

So,
I already filed BBB compliant, but I would like to hear if anyone had similar experience and would give me some other suggestion.

Thank you. 

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Based on my understanding, a Skype credit is like a gift card, it should never expired. Or it is against the law?

henryryu said:   Based on my understanding, a Skype credit is like a gift card, it should never expired. Or it is against the law?
  Are you in CA?  Gift cards in CA don't expire.

forbin4040 said:   
henryryu said:   Based on my understanding, a Skype credit is like a gift card, it should never expired. Or it is against the law?

I'm pretty sure that all gift cards are legally to never expire nationwide, per laws/statutes passed several years ago.
The question is whether or not a Sk-ype credit is considered the same as a gift card. I don't know, but surely there have to be terms spelled out somewhere.

forbin4040 said:   

No, I am in Illinois. The gift cards don't expire here in IL. 
GIFT CARDS AND GIFT CERTIFICATES STATUTES AND LEGISLATION 
Just don't know beside BBB, how can I deal with Microsoftstore and Skype?  

This is the product page:
Skype Credit

This is the quote from the product page:
"Skype account required and code can only be redeemed in respect of one Skype account. Once redeemed, credit does not expire. A connection fee applies, see www.skype.com for details. Skype’s Terms of Use apply."

I know once you redeemed it, it will not expire, but Microsoftstore.com and Skype did not tell me it will expire before you redeem it.
You cannot find any information about it expiration information, and they just set a expiration date on it.

When I had a dispute with Microsoft the BBB worked for me. Be sure to add any screen prints or detailed conversations with everyone you have talked to. In my case there was doubt that they were correct and since I had documented everything, they quickly resolved the situation for my full amount. Good Luck!

mrc911 said:   When I had a dispute with Microsoft the BBB worked for me. Be sure to add any screen prints or detailed conversations with everyone you have talked to. In my case there was doubt that they were correct and since I had documented everything, they quickly resolved the situation for my full amount. Good Luck!

Thanks, I only called them and maybe I should also write an email to them, so I have a written evidence.

You will need to fill out the BBB online form in the area where the company is headquartered. I can't remember if I just used Washington state or something like Redmond, WA BBB. Microsoft is NOT a member so it may or may not work for you. You don't have anything to lose so might as well give it a shot.

Since Gift Cards can't expire in IL, I think it will be in your interest to assert that tis is a Gift Card / Gift Voucher (What else would it be, legally?), and contact the IL Attorney General.  That might create some additional action, just by the AG inquiring.  From their perspective, the AG nosing around is a business risk that they should want to reduce by making you happy and have the AG look elsewhere.  AG can pull out much larger caliber weapons (and a bottomless litigation war chest!) than you ever can.

Just for future reference, I was told that Microsoft store and Skype credits expire at midnight a. m. on the date noted (or in this case, the date not noted).  Most other places, unless noting a specific time, expire at 11:59:59 p. m. on the date, or something like that, but with Microsoft, it becomes unusable the moment the date noted hits.

Stick with cash is my advice.

If have gift card / voucher, try to use them as early as possible.

If you use credit card to buy them, try to contact the Credit card see what they can do.

Coulda, woulda, shoulda.........

Goodluck.

If they sold you something that they gave no expiration date for, and then they told you, without warning you beforehand, that it had expired, I think that is definitely not right on their part. I hope you can get that credit back (or the $50).

(However, it doesn't make sense that you bought $100 worth of credit at one time and only redeemed $50 of it, if there was an accompanying notice at the time that a redeemed credit never expires. What was the point of not redeeming both credits at that time?
And if you were going to take 3 years to use the first $50 on Skype, why did you buy so much credit at once?)

- Another way to get help is from the credit card company -- but since it's been nearly 3 years since you bought the credit, I'm not sure if your credit card company (the card that you used to pay for the Skype credit) could help you -- like doing a chargeback against Skype for non-fulfillment of services paid for, or something. It's probably been too long for them to get involved.

- There might also be a consumer protection bureau in your state that you could ask for advice.

- Look up the relevant search terms online to see if anyone else has battled with Skype over an unexpected, non-published expiration date on non-redeemed Skype credit, and how their case worked out.

oppidum said:   If they sold you something that they gave no expiration date for, and then they told you, without warning you beforehand, that it had expired, I think that is definitely not right on their part. I hope you can get that credit back (or the $50).

(However, it doesn't make sense that you bought $100 worth of credit at one time and only redeemed $50 of it, if there was an accompanying notice at the time that a redeemed credit never expires. What was the point of not redeeming both credits at that time?
And if you were going to take 3 years to use the first $50 on Skype, why did you buy so much credit at once?)

- Another way to get help is from the credit card company -- but since it's been nearly 3 years since you bought the credit, I'm not sure if your credit card company (the card that you used to pay for the Skype credit) could help you -- like doing a chargeback against Skype for non-fulfillment of services paid for, or something. It's probably been too long for them to get involved.

- There might also be a consumer protection bureau in your state that you could ask for advice.

- Look up the relevant search terms online to see if anyone else has battled with Skype over an unexpected, non-published expiration date on non-redeemed Skype credit, and how their case worked out.

My Skype account actually get hacked once in the past. It is a very painful experience to get it recovered.
After that, I just take every action very carefully. So I do not redeem them at once (to prevent if it get hacked again, or minimized the lost)

I subscribed an annual service (currently not sold by Skype, but I still keep it) and the balance will deduct from my Skype credit (the credit already in my Skype account).
$50 credit is sufficient for 2 years payment.
That is why it is about time to redeem the second code. ~~ Then it expired. ~~

The most important thing is, you cannot find any expiration information in their terms or anywhere, not a single word!
$50 may not be a big deal for them, but for such a BIG company, they should do things better.

Thanks for your response 

There was a Class action lawsuit in 2010 after which they changed the policy of already redeemed credit so that now it becomes inactive but does not expire.
Maybe you need something similar.
skypeclassaction said: NOTICE OF PROPOSED SETTLEMENT OF CLASS ACTION

If you are a United States resident who purchased Skype Credit that, on at least one occasion prior to December 31, 2009, expired after 180 days of inactivity, a proposed class action settlement may affect your rights. PLEASE READ THIS NOTICE CAREFULLY.

Plaintiffs Holly Barker and Brian Carness have filed lawsuits against defendants Skype Communications, S.a.r.l. ("Skype Communications"), Skype Technologies S.A., Skype, Inc. and eBay Inc., on its own behalf and as successor by merger to Skype Delaware Holdings, Inc. (collectively, the "Defendants") challenging the Skype Credit expiration policy. Plaintiffs allege that Skype User Accounts and Skype Credit constitute "gift certificates" that cannot expire or be subject to inactivity fees under various states' laws and that Defendants unlawfully applied the Skype Credit expiration policy against their Skype Credit balances after 180 days of inactivity in supposed violation of these various states' laws, including applicable "gift certificate," consumer protection and/or unfair and deceptive practices laws.
Defendants deny that they did anything wrong whatsoever, and contend that plaintiffs' claims are meritless. No court has decided which side is right, and both sides have agreed to resolve the cases and provide relief to the Settlement Class instead of litigation. There is a proposed settlement on behalf of a nationwide class of current and former United States resident purchasers of Skype Credit from Skype Communications, which, if approved, will provide that Skype Communications shall discontinue its Skype Credit expiration policy and implement a Reactivation Policy whereby Skype Credit will no longer expire after 180 days of inactivity, but rather be deemed "inactive" and subject to reactivation. In addition, Skype Communications, on behalf of itself and the other Defendants, has agreed to pay a Settlement Amount of $1,850,000 in full and complete settlement of the Released Claims, which shall include: (i) attorneys' fees and costs and named plaintiffs' incentive awards not to exceed $1,000 each, which collectively shall not exceed 25% of the Settlement Amount subject to Court approval; and (ii) availability, on a claims made basis, of an electronic voucher for $4.00 of Skype Credit per claimant from the Net Settlement Amount.

There is a difference, if you redeem and don't use in 120 days, it expires.  That was the class action.  This is OP didn't redeem in the first place.

forbin4040 said:   There is a difference, if you redeem and don't use in 120 days, it expires.  That was the class action.  This is OP didn't redeem in the first place.
It was clear that "marcopolomle" knew that there was a difference in the 2 situations, which is why he/she underlined the words "already redeemed" and wrote, "Maybe you need something similar."

I just filed compliant to Illinois Attorney General, waiting...
There is a Skype credit deals on Newegg now...not sure if they will expire.

henryryu said:   There is a Skype credit deals on Newegg now...not sure if they will expire.
AFAIK Skype credit vouchers expire in 120 days unless redeemed.
Maybe you can ask Newegg about the expiry date.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017