• filter:
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Anyone on the fence about subscribing to Amazon Prime, might want to hold off a few days. After winning 6 Emmy's this week, sounds like Amazon is likely to discount Prime in a couple days.

Chatted with an Amazon rep who said that this promo will last 3-5 days.

Already a subscriber, but I plan on trying to gift a year of Prime to myself at this price.

Member Summary

Amazon Prime (2.64kB)
Thanks TheRedBaaron
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
No. But we wiped out their quota at this price. LOL

retrac (Sep. 24, 2016 @ 4:12p) |

A lot of other people probably have the same question.  We should start a thread where we can discuss it at length.

drodge (Sep. 25, 2016 @ 8:03a) |

I really think there is no discussion to be had.

retrac (Sep. 25, 2016 @ 9:22p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Is this the best offer ? Besides free shipping, what are some of the other perks of Prime?

rated:
Movies and TV shows free to stream.

Music streaming service

Unlimited Photo storage on Amazon Cloud

Lots of perks.  for $68 its a no brainer.

rated:
How do you gift the membership to yourself?

rated:
Fish said:   How do you gift the membership to yourself?
  Last couple of times they ran a promotion like this you couldn't.

rated:
One thing you can do if you have a gmail account is to add a period anywhere in your email user name so you don't have to creat a new email account if you are a current prime member.

rated:
DiamondDan73 said:   One thing you can do if you have a gmail account is to add a period anywhere in your email user name so you don't have to creat a new email account if you are a current prime member.
  You would have to create a whole new Amazon account though to buy it.  They no longer allow gift memberships on promotions.  If you are a reviewer that is a problem.

rated:
uafgrad said:   
DiamondDan73 said:   One thing you can do if you have a gmail account is to add a period anywhere in your email user name so you don't have to creat a new email account if you are a current prime member.
  You would have to create a whole new Amazon account though to buy it.  They no longer allow gift memberships on promotions.  If you are a reviewer that is a problem.

Why would being a reviewer a problem?

rated:
This seems like some student only promo? Also it seems like the prime link you provided has a reference thing in it? Are you getting the $10 kickback they mention?

rated:
NOT Worth it for me. I probably had 3 Amazon orders last year for some tiny electronics. $68 is a lot for 3 shipments of cell phone headsets and cell phone cases. For anyone looking to subscribe/renew, you should tally up your previous year's orders to "guesstimate" whether you're even breaking even. Many times, items have free shipping after a minimum order.

rated:
JustinR said:   This seems like some student only promo? Also it seems like the prime link you provided has a reference thing in it? Are you getting the $10 kickback they mention?
  Not sure but I just renewed Prime membership on my Amazon business account and it appears to have renewed it for $49/year.

rated:
A ton of bang for your buck. Love the Prime video. Not as good as Netflix, but when you add all the benefits, a real bargain.

rated:
macdough said:   Is this the best offer ? Besides free shipping, what are some of the other perks of Prime?

It's personal preference.
I don't do any streaming and I certainly won't upload my pictures to their server but I'm spoil of getting 2-day free shipping.
It would be lovely to cost $50 annually for 2-day free ship option as I'm not using their streaming service.
Anyway, $99 will make me thinking but $68, I'm in for one.

rated:
I do watch a few of the originals but at least cover the 99 on free 2 day shipping (and sometimes free same day shipping!)

rated:
great deal for me

rated:
Man I wish this were an easy renew.

rated:
"Amazon will send your gift recipient an email on the day you choose, along with redemption instructions. The gift recipient can start their Prime membership right away. If the recipient is already a Prime member, the gift can be exchanged for an Amazon.com Gift Card. The one-year gift membership does not automatically renew, and is not eligible for promotional offers."

So, since I'm already a prime member (and love it), if I gifted myself I'd get a GC instead of an extension. No win/win on this one.

rated:
hmmm we started watching some shows on there, it might be worth it

rated:
I use prime video quite often and if you download the prime music app you get access to a ton of free to listen to music. And it lets you create stations like pandora... but with prime music there are no commercials. 

hope this gift it to myself thing works. mine expires the 25th

rated:
mine will expire on 9/27, how can I cancel it now and get the promotion one?

rated:
Lol.. they are preparing for Thanksgiving and Xmas.. looks like Amazon has "BIG" plans for this festival season.

rated:
So, since I'm already a prime member (and love it), if I gifted myself I'd get a GC instead of an extension.
But if you sent a Prime gift to squonk2@gmail.com couldn't you accept it and create a new Amazon account with it? The one time I did this (when it was $72) that was actually a suggestion from Amazon
mine will expire on 9/27, how can I cancel it now and get the promotion one?
Or can you send the gift to yourself dated Sep 29? "will send your gift recipient an email on the day you choose, along with redemption instructions. The gift recipient can start their Prime membership right away."

I was planning to let my Prime lapse come December, and maybe sign up again (for $99) when I actually wanted something that needed Prime. But for $68 I'd probably just resub, either on a new account or to myself if that's allowed. My Prime expires a couple of weeks before Mozart in the Jungle S3 is likely to be released (if it is, I haven't checked) and that would be a fun holiday binge. [EDIT: my Prime ends Dec 22 which I figured would mean I'd miss MitJ but in fact it looks like S3 will be released Dec 9 ].

=aw

rated:
Hello
So, for those of us that like our Prime membership does anyone have any input if you are a current member? I must have hit a sweet spot. My membership is set to charge me on Sept 25 for $99 but, I will get a reminder on Sept 22. Any suggestions on how to work this without having to get a new account? Do I need to "end membership" ? Any help appreciated.

rated:
At the minimum, I think unless you plan to use it Sep 26, turn off auto-renewal. Then sign up again (even for $99) the first time you need it. I know some people use it daily, or have subscribe&saves going on, but I find I can go a month without using it and then have 5 orders in a couple of days. So not paying for a month makes a difference.

Will be interested to see what unofficial (and official) workarounds there are for this. I'm quite happy to create a new Amazon account if that's what's needed (I'm not an Amazon seller, and we're not talking eBay here where my feedback and longevity count for something), but if I can gift it to myself effective Dec 26, that's even better.

=aw

rated:
My one-year Prime membership purchased during last September's deal  was taxed: 67 + 7% = 71.69
I've made just a handful of purchases in the last 12 months and watched one TV episode. So much for ROI.
But, I just found the free Prime music streaming (no ads!) feature and some new TV series, so maybe I'll re-up.

rated:
FYI To those who wish to turn off auto renewal you have to click "end membership" and then the link that says "continue to cancel" then it will give you the option to turn off auto renew

rated:
HIV said:   mine will expire on 9/27, how can I cancel it now and get the promotion one?
wondering the same thing, how about I cancel my current membership and just pick up the new one when it goes on sale? mine was set to renew on 9/25... if it doesn't go on sale I can simply return at the regular price

rated:
Don't forget The Grand Tour is starting soon too. Worth the cost of prime on its own!

rated:
What's the grand tour? I'm a prime member but never heard of that.

rated:
TrueKnight said:   NOT Worth it for me. I probably had 3 Amazon orders last year for some tiny electronics. $68 is a lot for 3 shipments of cell phone headsets and cell phone cases. For anyone looking to subscribe/renew, you should tally up your previous year's orders to "guesstimate" whether you're even breaking even. Many times, items have free shipping after a minimum order.

So then YVVM right?  (You Value Vay Mary?)

rated:
busnut said:   
uafgrad said:   

Why would being a reviewer a problem?

just like Fatwallet, you would have a reputation tied to your name. Just from reading how many companies send out free $hit for reviews, I'm sure they try to Target the people that have a good review rating...rating. 

rated:
Can you buy this with Amazon gift card?

rated:
I told a friend of mine about this. He told me he recently got a free Amazon prime student account for only $3 using some chinese guy. Its free for 6 months, thereafter its $49/year.

rated:
Slick29832 said:   I told a friend of mine about this. He told me he recently got a free Amazon prime student account for only $3 using some chinese guy. Its free for 6 months, thereafter its $49/year.
TEASE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rated:
I joined Prime last September. The value of the service has plummeted for me over the course of the year. We do not watch much, listen to less, and do not use the reading library at all. I find I buy more from Amazon than I did, but I don't save as much as I expected. I would probably re-upped for $68, but would not jump through hoops to get there. Thanks for posting. You just reminded me to turn off auto renewal.

rated:
Damn, thanks for the warning. I just looked and my prime ends on 25th. Didn't know it was on auto renew?

rated:
Dang, I just renewed. Would have waited. My favorite thing about Prime is the streaming video. I travel for work and Prime Video lets you download the tv shows/movies to your device for a 72 hour viewing period. Perfect for watching shows while flying.

rated:
Can I gift someone else and they gift me?

rated:
Perfect!!! Mine is set to expire in just a couple days.

Skipping 71 Messages...
rated:
drodge said:   
rajnp said:   I still dont see prime for $68

is there any coupon to apply

A lot of other people probably have the same question.  We should start a thread where we can discuss it at length.

I really think there is no discussion to be had.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016