Converting Amazon Promo Credits?

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I have a reasonably large amount of Promo Credits at Amazon (~$300).  They don't expire, so I'd eventually use them (they're only good on items sold by Amazon, not 3rd party sellers).  

Anyone have a good idea of how to convert them to cash, Amazon GC's, or some other more negotiable currency?  It looks like they can be used for some gift cards, but not others.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I don't have an answer, but I'm curious how you accumulated such a high amount, and what kind of promo credits you have that don't expire. The only sorts of promo credits I've heard of certainly do have expiration dates (examples: buy a $50 gift card, get a $10 promo credit, buy a specific sample item(s), get $X credit toward next purchase of same brand item(s).

Customer service issues over the years... mostly things like minor damage in shipping or missing parts for which they offered a promo credit as a way of resolving.  A lot of times it happens on third party items where they really can't do a good return/exchange because they don't control the actual inventory.

OP, you can't convert Ama*zon gift cards/promos to cash; their terms don't allow it. However, the safest way is to buy something for somebody else who could reimburse you. Or open another account, list a big item for sale and buy it, which can get you banned. Whatever you decide, best of luck!

BigFatCat said:   Customer service issues over the years... mostly things like minor damage in shipping or missing parts for which they offered a promo credit as a way of resolving.  A lot of times it happens on third party items where they really can't do a good return/exchange because they don't control the actual inventory.
Ah... does Amazan really call these promo credits? "Promo credit" implies something more like what I described in my first post; a more accurate term would be "concession credit."

Still, that's a lot of dollar value you've accumulated. Not accusing you of anything wrong, but I've read of people getting blacklisted for "complaining" too much and getting too many concessions.

They call them promo credits when they issue them... they show as courtesy credits when you check out.

As for getting banned, we're talking a very small percentage of the value of my purchases over that period... and all of the complaints were legit. For example, received a packable duffle bag the other day. It was obvious that the item was not 'new' but was likely a customer return. The packaging was torn open, the item was crumpled up inside, and the shoulder strap was missing. Instead of going through the return-reorder process (it was a 3rd party item), the rep (on chat) offered a $5 credit (on a $20 item). Cheaper for them than paying for the return... and I've got another shoulder strap I can substitute.

I've actually provided them photos of the issues several times.

Rumor has it Prime may be offered at a discount Friday and you can purchase Prime as a gift to friends.

Typically they are applied towards new purchases automatically unless you opt not to use them. But you cannot apply them towards GCs and if you return whatever you purchased, you will loose that credit. So purchase something you can gift or that you can resell.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017