• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
What are some recommendations for great cameras if your not going the DSLR route?

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:

rated:
letsspendlotsofmoney said:   NIKON P900 

Nice, but it's right in the price range of a DSLR. Are you saying this is better than a DSLR?
I should have mentioned, I'm looking for a great non-DSLR camera within a decent budget.. under $200.

rated:
why non DSLR? Typically the glass needs to be the size of DSLR glass to be "good". The smaller your camera sensor and glass the worse your images. Not to say they can't be somewhat corrected. If you can find a camera with a lens that has distortion correction data available for it, it's likely not bad.

That said, for under $200 you could like get a used DSLR and kit lens which are extremely good for most practical uses. Nikon D90 is a favorite cheapie of mine. If you really don't want DSLR, perhaps a mirrorless is better for you? Maybe a Canon G10 or similar?

Most non DSLR I'd rate as not much better than a recent camera phone, why not just use your phone at that point?

rated:
foglem said:   why non DSLR?

Size & price

I want the same, compromise between size/price/zoom/capability.  I'm still sticking with my point and shoot camera, Panasonic super zoom line.  I throw in capability cause I am starting to like the 3D picture, if done right it comes out looking great on my Panasonic camera ZS19.

Phone camera have zero zoom.  I am not talking about digital zoom.

I do love the DSLR, but more often I am leaving it at home due to it's huge size and 400mm lens is too expensive for it.

So these are the things I find about my ZS19:
PRO:
- Around $100
- 400mm zoom
- 3D (stitching pictures together to create 3D)

CON:
- Not as fast as DSLR.
- No manual focus
- No viewfinder, always have to use screen
- Screen too bright on lowest setting at night, can't turn off screen

rated:
DSLR quality below $200? Doesn't exist, unless you steal it. Canon S110 or S120 will be a good compromise on both accounts. 

rated:
haveyouseen said:   
letsspendlotsofmoney said:   NIKON P900 

Nice, but it's right in the price range of a DSLR. Are you saying this is better than a DSLR?
I should have mentioned, I'm looking for a great non-DSLR camera within a decent budget.. under $200.

You were a bit vague in your initial post with no price. I was assuming you wanted something that was smaller than a DSLR with similar capabilities. 
Probably better asking "what's the best POS I can get for $XXXX insert your dollar amount." 

rated:
Sony a7R

rated:
foglem said:   why non DSLR? Typically the glass needs to be the size of DSLR glass to be "good". The smaller your camera sensor and glass the worse your images. Not to say they can't be somewhat corrected. If you can find a camera with a lens that has distortion correction data available for it, it's likely not bad.

That said, for under $200 you could like get a used DSLR and kit lens which are extremely good for most practical uses. Nikon D90 is a favorite cheapie of mine. If you really don't want DSLR, perhaps a mirrorless is better for you? Maybe a Canon G10 or similar?

Most non DSLR I'd rate as not much better than a recent camera phone, why not just use your phone at that point?

A dedicated camera will still be able to get better pictures than the best phone because it uses a real optical zoom, not digital.  Plus, even the smallest of these point-and-shoots still has larger glass than any phone has.  I wouldn't buy a point-and-shoot, but if I did, I'd go with something like a Canon SX530 or Nikon B500.  They won't be as good as an entry-level DSLR, but they're generally better than the real portable Canons and Nikons.  That's my 2˘.

rated:
Lecia cameras are wonderfully expensive and excellent, that virtually no one can afford except for Trump or Hillary.
Sensor size and good lenses are some of the most important factors for a excellent camera. I understand why a dslr is undesirable for most of the population, mainly weight and size.
Mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras are attractive because they have generally smaller size and weight. Micro 4/3 cameras made by Olympus or Panasonic are a huge step up from point & shot cameras at 300 to 400 dollars

rated:
I dont think theres any sub $200 dedicated cameras that will beat the Iphone 6s/7 or Galaxy s7.

rated:
I had a similar interest in having a not too expensive long zoom camera. for a larger one I was looking at the
Pentax xg-1 VF that has a 50x optical zoom. for a much smaller one, but more expensive with only 30x zoom, I liked the Sony hx80 VF. I was only considering those with view finders.

rated:
njdealguy said:   I dont think theres any sub $200 dedicated cameras that will beat the Iphone 6s/7 or Galaxy s7.

Lol, then I guess you don't know cameras.

Here is a $130 camera with 20megapixel
https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/powershot-sx410-is-bl...

rated:
WorkerAnt said:   
foglem said:   why non DSLR?

Size & price

I want the same, compromise between size/price/zoom/capability.  I'm still sticking with my point and shoot camera, Panasonic super zoom line.  I throw in capability cause I am starting to like the 3D picture, if done right it comes out looking great on my Panasonic camera ZS19.

Phone camera have zero zoom.  I am not talking about digital zoom.

I do love the DSLR, but more often I am leaving it at home due to it's huge size and 400mm lens is too expensive for it.

So these are the things I find about my ZS19:
PRO:
- Around $100
- 400mm zoom
- 3D (stitching pictures together to create 3D)

CON:
- Not as fast as DSLR.
- No manual focus
- No viewfinder, always have to use screen
- Screen too bright on lowest setting at night, can't turn off screen

Interesting recommendation for a great camera (used panasonic  zs19) with about the smallest sensor that is available in a point and shoot camera. A zoom lense with a f6.6 max opening for much of its range.
This discontinued camera can be had for $39 and up on eBay. I actaully have a panasonic point shoot camera with lecia lens and the same small size sensor. It would be stretch to call it a great camera.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016