Where to buy refrigerator? (Best Buy, Lowes, Home Depot, Sears)

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Text Only
rated:
My mom wants to buy a refrigerator that’s available in all major stores for the same price (Best Buy, Lowe's, Home Depot, Sears).  All have free delivery and about the same delivery date. Is there a reason to choose one store over the others? Thank you.   

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
If you can not get the 10% off Lowes coupon which often has expiration date, then a Lowes card is available often on the... (more)

rpi1967 (Sep. 28, 2016 @ 11:25a) |

I recently purchased a fridge online from appliance connection. They were much cheaper than HD, BB or Los, and no state... (more)

surfcaster (Sep. 28, 2016 @ 12:21p) |

comprx (Sep. 29, 2016 @ 7:40a) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

You may get points and bonus points if you belong to Shop Your Way and buy from Sears. Also, Sears will generally offer a discount, 0 percent interest over an extended time, or both, if you use its branded credit card. Kenmore appliances are all rebranded from the major manufacturers. Who makes what for Sears / Kenmore

referral bonus from cashback sites vary by store.... e.g. topcashbak or befrugal or ebates etc have diff rebates for online purchases, that can make 5% or more differential....

Lowe's 10% off coupons are relatively easy to come by if prices are the same. Also depending on your luck, all of these stores have floor specials (scratch/dent, returned etc. items) that are some time at huge discounts, and with standard 1-yr manufacture warranty. 

buy it from Costco.. no hassle plus you will get extra warranty of 1 year..

Costco. Don't even think about anything else. Thanks

Not sure if applicable to you, but Lowes and HD will give veterans 10% off.
Alternately, put it on your Sears card and you can get 0/0/0 financing for 12 months. Then set your bank's autopay to send 1/12 of the final cost over the next twelve months.

For the fridge I bought a few months ago, wayfair.com was the cheapest out of every store B&M (including buying discounted GC's and coupons) or online including shipping. I bought on my Discover in case the price went down, and it did by another $90 and Discover sent me the difference (Wayfair is 7 days, this happened about 2 weeks after the purchase).

IMShopoholic said:   Costco. Don't even think about anything else. Thanks
  Free extended warranty unless you have specific choice, because the selection is limited.

Lowe's will PM to online retailers, including Abe's of Maine and the like.

Sears Outlet

When Home Depot has an appliance sale, their prices are hard to beat. They are more organized than Sears, Lowes or Best Buy with regard to deliveries. They will also price match. Best Buy is a close second; Lowes is third and Sears is last (at least in my area). Costco has great prices, but doesn't carry a good selection of models.

Lowe's. Get the 10% off coupon from eBay if you dont have one.

Sears. Hands down. Look for a sale and stack coupons/offers.

Alternatively look for floor models/rejects. Hit up Lowe's in the morning when rejected inventory is delivered.

Shop between all of them, then find a coupon for Lowes or Homedepot, online they give you 10% off, instore they will match, BUT then they won't take of any other discounts, but then again it all comes down to the rep you get onthe floor.  I scored a floor model Samsung from Lowes for 700.00 and it was a 2500.00. You pretty much have to go to each store see what they have in stock on the floor and see if they have old models they want to sell off.  ALSO it costs about 99.99 for a 5 year warranty from Lowes and homedepot, it worth it, one service call will cost that and more, I would say Sears but they 1. suck 2. warranties are 3 to 4 times more then Lowes and Homedepot ( yes I know they have there own techs ) but what use is it if you have to fight with them if it covered or not and if they come back to repair it.

GL

Sears, they always have coupons and discounts

Local appliance shop

Similar discussion may be dated, but still has some good ideas..

If you have a DiscoverCard with the 5% Cash Back rebate for Home Improvement places like Lowe's and Home Depot.

OR

Starting October 1st, Chase Freedom and DiscoverCard both have 5% Cash Back rebate at Department Stores.

If she does not have one of these credit cards, there are good signup bonuses and about a year to pay monthly payments interest free.

Keep in mind that Sears may go bankrupt soon. Any warranties you get through them may be voided, or practically unuseable if that happens.
Their pricing needs to compensate for that risk. If it doesn't, go elsewhere.
Remember that you can always get a 10% off coupon for Lowes just by searching online.

They all make it difficult to comparison shop since the manufacturers (well, Whirlpool, since they make almost everything) make custom model numbers for every retailer. Just saying a store will give you a 10% discount off of something doesn't mean much if you don't know what you're comparing it against.

Pauldow said:   They all make it difficult to comparison shop since the manufacturers (well, Whirlpool, since they make almost everything) make custom model numbers for every retailer. Just saying a store will give you a 10% discount off of something doesn't mean much if you don't know what you're comparing it against.
  I went to the Home Depot website, and took the very first whirlpool fridge that came up (WRX735SDBM),then googled that. It took me less than a minute.
Amazon has it.
Sears Outlet has it.
Costco has it.
Best Buy has it.
Lowes has it.
So no, they don't make custom model numbers for every fridge/manufacturer combo. It's a myth. It's best to actually see if something you read is true before you post it.

Pauldow said:   They all make it difficult to comparison shop since the manufacturers (well, Whirlpool, since they make almost everything) make custom model numbers for every retailer. Just saying a store will give you a 10% discount off of something doesn't mean much if you don't know what you're comparing it against.
That's mostly true, but there is seldom much difference in  model numbers with a letter or number or two added or subtracted here or there. Moreover, the largest retailers nearly always sell at the same price points, so it's really not that big a challenge to decide what to buy. Reliability and energy costs over a lifetime are far more significant than the initial price, even for a costly refrigerator, than 10 percent savings here or there. Avoid ice makers and through-the-door dispensers if you care about reliability and check noise ratings if your kitchen is open plan. Today's refrigerator compressors run nearly constantly (while saving energy), but they make a lot more noise, at bothersome higher frequencies, and have more fans than older models. Also, avoid a refrigerator with heat-sink coils in the back bottom of the refrigerator as they are very hard, if not impossible, to clean.

In general, old-fashioned top-mounted freezer models with mechanical controls are usually the least costly to own and operate and last the longest.

Above all else, if you purchase any appliance with a touch (computerized) control system, be sure to have the power supply on a surge-protected circuit.

One Place to Check for Purchasing Advice 

Another: review of the reviews 

I wish they made fridges like AC units, with the pump/fans in a separate compartment. Anyone with the fridge against an outside wall, or over a crawlspace, could simply mount the noisy stuff+coils outside the living area. It would also be far more energy efficient, the coils would be easy to access for cleaning, and the mechanical package could be replaced as a unit. It may be more expensive, but many people would pay extra for getting rid of the noise. $1000 extra over a 15 year lifetime would be only $80 a year, and you would almost save that in energy costs alone if you're in the South (fridge uses $64/year of power to run, so AC power needed to vent the heat would be about $50 over the hot months).

I can't believe that people in high-end multimillion dollar homes, with $400K kitchens, still have to listen to their fridge(s) whining all day.

My last fridge was from Costco, but - if you don't like the limited selection - I've found BestBuy very competitive for appliances.

I always look for no interest financing and price and for 4 of my last major appliance purchases Sears has come out on top for price and terms of financing. I would not recommend an in store service plan, go buy it from manufacture or another source

canoeguy1 said:   I wish they made fridges like AC units, with the pump/fans in a separate compartment. Anyone with the fridge against an outside wall, or over a crawlspace, could simply mount the noisy stuff+coils outside the living area. It would also be far more energy efficient, the coils would be easy to access for cleaning, and the mechanical package could be replaced as a unit. It may be more expensive, but many people would pay extra for getting rid of the noise. $1000 extra over a 15 year lifetime would be only $80 a year, and you would almost save that in energy costs alone if you're in the South (fridge uses $64/year of power to run, so AC power needed to vent the heat would be about $50 over the hot months).

I can't believe that people in high-end multimillion dollar homes, with $400K kitchens, still have to listen to their fridge(s) whining all day.

You either have some REALLY sensitive hearing, or there is something wrong with your refrigerator.

This is NOT something I would pay extra for.

I've had very good luck with Sears. They even price matched after I bought (good for 30 days)

I got lucky when I went to Sears and got an employee desperate for a sale and he ended up stacking all their deals, Shop Your Way rewards, discount for buying multiple appliances, AND price matching Lowes /Home Depot on the refrigerator. He even PM's a lower model refrigerator and threw in a 3 year warranty (normally $500). Basically got a $3500 Kitchenaid refrigerator for <$1900. The delivery sucked, the customer service sucked but I saved a shit ton of money so I didn't complain too much. He did the same thing for all the other appliances I bought too. I now know why Sears is going under.

I had figured out with the sales and PMs at a competitor that I was going to spend about $8k on the appliances, I ended up saving over $2k of that. This is a BIG YMWV. 

We've had great luck purchasing appliances from The Home Depot. Miserable experiences prior to that when purchasing at Sears. THD always had employees who knew the products, or if they didn't they quickly found someone who did, have great prices and price match plus 10%. For us it has been a can't lose. But the most recent fridge purchase was a quirky one - it came from The Salvation Army store. LOL, I was doing some high end clothes shopping and saw a great looking fridge. It was brand new, but had been dinged during delivery. Got it for a steal and love it. GE Profie series.

Lowes......Especially if you are planning to buy 4 year warranty with them. Pricematch + 10% discount _ Low warranty cost. Sears will kill on extended warranty.

CPenn said:   We've had great luck purchasing appliances from The Home Depot. Miserable experiences prior to that when purchasing at Sears.  THD always had employees who knew the products, or if they didn't they quickly found someone who did, have great prices and price match plus 10%. For us it has been a can't lose. But the most recent fridge purchase was a quirky one - it came from The Salvation Army store. LOL, I was doing some high end clothes shopping and saw a great looking fridge. It was brand new, but had been dinged during delivery. Got it for a steal and love it. GE Profie series.

My problem with HD employees is that they all PUSHED the Samsung garbage...like relentlessly.

I just completed a home at the beginning of the year. New construction did not come with a refrigerator or washer/dryer. I found goedekers.com to be the cheapest of everyone by almost $1k at the time. I would definitely give them a shot. It did take about a month to get to me from order to completion, but it stated that the fridge I was ordering was on a 2 week backorder. I just made sure to purchase with my AMEX in case of any issues, but luckily there were none. (Saving 6% sales tax on a few grand wasn't so bad either)

canoeguy1 said:   Keep in mind that Sears may go bankrupt soon. Any warranties you get through them may be voided, or practically unuseable if that happens.
Their pricing needs to compensate for that risk. If it doesn't, go elsewhere.
Remember that you can always get a 10% off coupon for Lowes just by searching online.

Extended warranties would not be affected.  The insurance company is the obligor, not the retailer.  It might still be worth avoiding Sears for issues in the short-term however for the same reason.

I used to use Sears but ever since the delivery person wanted extra money to bring it up to the second floor I cancelled the order.

I don't know if this has been mentioned already, but Lowes has a price guarantee that if you find the exact same model for cheaper in another major store in your area, within 30 days after you buy it at Lowes, they will give you the price difference back via your method of payment.

We bought a fridge earlier this year. I compared prices carefully and ended up going with Lowes because their delivery people here are much better than the others' -- then I checked local competitor prices online every Sunday -- the price never stirred... and I thought that was going to be the end of it, but then 28 days later, another local retailer put it on sale for 20% less than the price that we had paid for it at Lowes, I called the Lowes we had bought it from, and they gave me the money back that day.

I don't know if Lowes still does their price guarantee in that fashion, but this was only a few months ago.

I also price-matched a snowblower last year after buying it from Lowes -- 2 weeks after the purchase, I found it for $50 less somewhere else, and after I told them and showed them the local competitors' ad, Lowes gave me the difference immediately.

Best buy only has a 7 day return policy but a 3 year warranty (which was included in the price). We bought an ice maker for work and a month later it stopped producing ice. Long story short, the independent warranty technicians replaced everything on the unit except the casing and it is finally working after 10 months. I'd be pissed off if this had been personal purchase.

Occasional said:   
CPenn said:   We've had great luck purchasing appliances from The Home Depot. Miserable experiences prior to that when purchasing at Sears.  THD always had employees who knew the products, or if they didn't they quickly found someone who did, have great prices and price match plus 10%. For us it has been a can't lose. But the most recent fridge purchase was a quirky one - it came from The Salvation Army store. LOL, I was doing some high end clothes shopping and saw a great looking fridge. It was brand new, but had been dinged during delivery. Got it for a steal and love it. GE Profie series.

My problem with HD employees is that they all PUSHED the Samsung garbage...like relentlessly.

That garbage is among the top rated.

I bought my refrigerator, washer, and dryer from Best Buy when Apple Pay gave 10% rebate and got additional Best Buy 10% off from mover's coupon. Plus, Best Buy had the lowest price of the year since it was Black Friday sale. So if your mom can wait, a week before Black Friday is the best time to buy appliance from most retailers. Prices are the same from all 3 since they will PM each other. I liked free delivery from Best Buy (HHgregg charged delivery and gives you a rebate card). Lowes customer service wasn't that great.

Occasional said:   

My problem with HD employees is that they all PUSHED the Samsung garbage...like relentlessly.

I bought all "Samsung garbage" appliances and 55" UHDTV (UN55JS7000) for my new house. Love it! Better than my old Maytag washer and dryer. Also, my Samsung UHDTV is 100x better than my LG 55" LED HDTV. Not only does the remote work better, but screen is so much better than LG! Also, paid only $780 since Best Buy Price matched Amazon 's sale price and honored 10% mover's coupon. In South Korea, Samsung is considered better than LG. I am not sure why LG would be considered better than Samsung in USA. Must be incentives for the stores.

As for GE Profiles, stay away. They break down as soon as warranty is over and GE charges arm and leg for repair services. GE Profiles has definitely been garbage to us (all circuit boards had to be replaced from all of the appliances). It's cheap for builders to buy GE Profile appliances. That's the only reason, why it's standard appliance from many builders. 

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN55JS7000-55-Inch-Ultra-Smart/dp/B00ZIGRVU8/ref=sr_1_sc_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1475077549&sr=1-5-spell&keywords=samsung+7+series+55%22+UHDTV

Skipping 5 Messages...
Slickone said:   
Occasional said:   

That garbage is among the top rated.

And in other news ...  https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/deal-discussion/1530460

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017