• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
LINK 
In re Sony PS3 “Other OS” Litigation

United States District Court, Northern District of California
Case No. 10-CV-01811-YGR

Deadline to file 12/7/16   for up to $55.
If you purchased a Fat PS3 in the United States between Nov. 1, 2006, and Apr. 1, 2010, from an authorized retailer for family, personal, and/or household use, you are a Class Member and may be eligible to submit a claim to receive a cash payment.Class Members who submit a claim with the required proof of purchase and proof of use of the Other OS feature are entitled to receive $55.Class Members who submit a claim with proof of purchase and attest that they intended to use the Other OS function, lost value or desired functionality, or believe they were otherwise injured are entitled to receive $9.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Could I ask what exactly is the suit about?

rated:
brokenscrewdriver said:   Could I ask what exactly is the suit about?
  Did you use the link and read the information at that site?

rated:
The only winners here are the attorneys.

rated:
TRD703 said:   The only winners here are the attorneys.
  Excuse me? You gave me a RED for posting info?

rated:
have you ever known it any other way ??

rated:
wow,,$9

rated:
@couponclippen Yes.  Sorry, I have an issue with the whole Class Action system.  The victims get nothing, the companies getting sued lose a lot, and the only one being compensated is the attorney.  At least in individual lawsuits the victim gets 60-66% of the settlement.  Here, the victim gets $9.  I understand it's informational, but I don't believe in encouraging a broken system.

rated:
TRD703 said:   @couponclippen Yes.  Sorry, I have an issue with the whole Class Action system.  The victims get nothing, the companies getting sued lose a lot, and the only one being compensated is the attorney.  At least in individual lawsuits the victim gets 60-66% of the settlement.  Here, the victim gets $9.  I understand it's informational, but I don't believe in encouraging a broken system.
  Sony sold the console to us advertising the ability to use other OS AND play games.  Then Sony decided to force us to choose between the two.  Sony used a software update to take away part of the system we paid for.  After that it only got worse with a series of updates pushed down our throats that added no value.  Some of those updates completely broke systems for some people.  The compensation is not a whole lot and the lawyers come out the big winners but this was not some kind of accident.  Sony purposefully took away a major feature AFTER we paid for it.  Sony could have done the right thing and returned the feature.  If Sony ended up "getting sued lose a lot" that is their fault.  They deserve to be punished for dirty dealing.  This will hopefully cause them to modify their future behavior.  If anything the price Sony will pay for this is not high enough.  This isn't much more then a slap on the wrist for a company of their size.  This systemic bad behavior is why I won't buy their gaming systems any more. 

rated:
giqcass said:   
TRD703 said:   @couponclippen Yes.  Sorry, I have an issue with the whole Class Action system.  The victims get nothing, the companies getting sued lose a lot, and the only one being compensated is the attorney.  At least in individual lawsuits the victim gets 60-66% of the settlement.  Here, the victim gets $9.  I understand it's informational, but I don't believe in encouraging a broken system.
  Sony sold the console to us advertising the ability to use other OS AND play games.  Then Sony decided to force us to choose between the two.  Sony used a software update to take away part of the system we paid for.  After that it only got worse with a series of updates pushed down our throats that added no value.  Some of those updates completely broke systems for some people.  The compensation is not a whole lot and the lawyers come out the big winners but this was not some kind of accident.  Sony purposefully took away a major feature AFTER we paid for it.  Sony could have done the right thing and returned the feature.  If Sony ended up "getting sued lose a lot" that is their fault.  They deserve to be punished for dirty dealing.  This will hopefully cause them to modify their future behavior.  If anything the price Sony will pay for this is not high enough.  This isn't much more then a slap on the wrist for a company of their size.  This systemic bad behavior is why I won't buy their gaming systems any more. 

Maybe I didn't explain myself.  I don't have a problem with the lawsuit again Sony.  I agree that they stripped the feature away.  I didn't use it, but I understand some did.  I have a problem with Class Action lawsuits because they don't serve a purpose.  As you say, this is just a "slap on the wrist for a company of their size."  So, a customer sues, gets $9; Sony gets their hand slapped so they will feel compelled to do nothing.  If the Class Action wasn't allowed, Sony would be fighting each customer individually and would be paying a bigger price.  They'd either learn from it, or not.  But at least the victims would be justly compensated for it.  Even if it was just a free console ($300 value - 40% legal fees, they'd still walk away with $180) which is a lot more than $9.

But, if you're for it, fine.  Claim your $9.  Buy a Big Mac.

rated:
TRD703 said:   
giqcass said:   

Maybe I didn't explain myself.  I don't have a problem with the lawsuit again Sony.  I agree that they stripped the feature away.  I didn't use it, but I understand some did.  I have a problem with Class Action lawsuits because they don't serve a purpose.  As you say, this is just a "slap on the wrist for a company of their size."  So, a customer sues, gets $9; Sony gets their hand slapped so they will feel compelled to do nothing.  If the Class Action wasn't allowed, Sony would be fighting each customer individually and would be paying a bigger price.  They'd either learn from it, or not.  But at least the victims would be justly compensated for it.  Even if it was just a free console ($300 value - 40% legal fees, they'd still walk away with $180) which is a lot more than $9.

If class action wasnt used i bet sony would face all of about 10 law suits. Which they could obviously handle. So in a situation like this .... class action is the way to go.
 Sorry ... but it has its place and this is a perfect example of why class actions are good.

rated:
nice victory for the owners

rated:
If I no longer have the PS3 I assume I'm out of luck? I bought at launch in 2006 and no longer have. I know what Wal-Mart I purchased from, but highly doubt they can access records from 10 years ago for me.

Edit:  It does say proof of purchase can be a Credit Card Statement showing the charge.   I'll look into whether I can still acquire statements from 10 years ago.

rated:
If you don't have the receipt or CC statement but still have the PS3, you can provide the PS3 Serial Number AND your PSN Network Sign-In ID.

rated:
TRD703 said:   Maybe I didn't explain myself.  I don't have a problem with the lawsuit again Sony.  I agree that they stripped the feature away.  I didn't use it, but I understand some did.  I have a problem with Class Action lawsuits because they don't serve a purpose.  As you say, this is just a "slap on the wrist for a company of their size."  So, a customer sues, gets $9; Sony gets their hand slapped so they will feel compelled to do nothing.  If the Class Action wasn't allowed, Sony would be fighting each customer individually and would be paying a bigger price.  They'd either learn from it, or not.  But at least the victims would be justly compensated for it.  Even if it was just a free console ($300 value - 40% legal fees, they'd still walk away with $180) which is a lot more than $9.

You must live somewhere that cost of living is high.  I could buy at least two Big Macs.  Perhaps four when there is a sale. lol
I do understand what you're saying here but as owenscott pointed out without the class action very few would have sued Sony.  It's a matter of resources.  Each suit would have collected more individually but far less people would have collected anything at all.  Class action lawsuits may be flawed but at the same time it's the best tool we have at this time.  In a case like this the best we can hope for is to hit back at them in the best way we can.  If they continue to go down this path these lawsuits will eventually tarnish their reputation and they know that.  Without their reputation customers and content providers will go elsewhere.  This may not stop their bad behavior completely but hopefully it will at least keep them in check.

rated:
Thanks for the heads up. I actually did install the Linux OS on my PS3, my only proof was I sent an email taunting a friend who had an Xbox about what I could do on my PS3. We'll see if I am able to get $55 for it (as I am actually a member of the class for sure, I did install and play around with Linux on my PS3 before Sony removed the functionality). If not, I guess I'll take the $9 (two Big macs here)

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017